This is embarassing

butkusrules

I am sorry, but on one hand, you blast ownership saying they always hire defensive coordinators and are too cheap to hire to big dogs, while also saying we need to do like Halas when he hired Ditka, who was a defensive coordinator and came to us on the cheap.

The Bears are way too cheap to eat 11 million. They also would never hire a new head coach that would require $10 mil/season such as Cowher. If look at all of their recent hirerings: all were defensive coordinators and were cheap. The last time somebody got it right was Papa Bear Halas. He fired Neill Armstrong when he was 86 years old to bring in Coach Ditka. Speaking of which Mike Imrem has a facinating article about that story and how he relates it to the Lovie Smith situation here. . . Its a Must Read!

I am sorry, but on one hand, you blast ownership saying they always hire defensive coordinators and are too cheap to hire to big dogs, while also saying we need to do like Halas when he hired Ditka, who was a defensive coordinator and came to us on the cheap.

Ditka was technically an 'assistant coach' for Dallas. He wasn't a sexy name, but I was implying he was the last cheap coach who worked. They need to go out and bring in a big name guy like Cowher- but like i said- they are too cheap. Unfortantatley Papa Bear isn't around to bring in the 'right cheap guy'.

Ditka was technically an 'assistant coach' for Dallas. He wasn't a sexy name, but I was implying he was the last cheap coach who worked. They need to go out and bring in a big name guy like Cowher- but like i said- they are too cheap. Unfortantatley Papa Bear isn't around to bring in the 'right cheap guy'.

You do realize that Halas threw around nickels like manhole covers???? Halas was the definition of cheap.

Peace :dabears

I really, really hope you are wrong. I will go as far to say I am hoping the Bears lose the rest of the games this yr. That may be our only chance for Lovie go.

I fear that you are right. I was thinking about that earlier. I never wish that we would lose all the remaining games but that would probably be the only way something like this where to happen. At the very least at the end of the Turner should be gone and we need to hire a defensive coordinator.

Look, I love Halas, but to be fair, how many coaches did he go through himself? His record for coaching hires was far from perfect.

WTF? In today's SunTimes:

About friggin time, coach.

Smith eschewed the idea of playing for the future in the final five games. He said the Bears will field the lineup that gives them the best chance to win.>

Why Lovie? Because your job is on the line? Time for the McKaskey's to step in and mention that IT'S THE FUTURE, STUPID!

This season is a write off. Put the remaining games to positive use and look at all the personnel on the team. Make some changes in game plans, put in some of the never used plays from that overstuffed playbook. Also:

The athleticism of 6-foot, 310-pound defensive tackle Anthony Adams prompted the Bears to use him at fullback for a play against the Vikings. He played the position with the San Francisco 49ers, but two things went wrong Sunday.

First, running back Matt Forte was stopped short on third-and-one. Second, Adams didn't report to the referee as an eligible receiver, a mistake that has to be blamed on the coaching staff.

''It's too bad we didn't get a chance to use it more,'' Smith said. >

Again, why Lovie? So we could get a few more penalties, or so that he could showcase his lack of blocking ability, or so we could prove undoubtedly that we could not pick up a third-and-one on the ground? The more I hear, the more I'm convinced Lovie is totaly lost. Not even trying to get some use out of the rest of the season by looking at our other players.

WTF? In today's SunTimes:

About friggin time, coach.

Smith eschewed the idea of playing for the future in the final five games. He said the Bears will field the lineup that gives them the best chance to win.>

Why Lovie? Because your job is on the line? Time for the McKaskey's to step in and mention that IT'S THE FUTURE, STUPID!

This season is a write off. Put the remaining games to positive use and look at all the personnel on the team. Make some changes in game plans, put in some of the never used plays from that overstuffed playbook. Also:

The athleticism of 6-foot, 310-pound defensive tackle Anthony Adams prompted the Bears to use him at fullback for a play against the Vikings. He played the position with the San Francisco 49ers, but two things went wrong Sunday.

First, running back Matt Forte was stopped short on third-and-one. Second, Adams didn't report to the referee as an eligible receiver, a mistake that has to be blamed on the coaching staff.

''It's too bad we didn't get a chance to use it more,'' Smith said. >

Again, why Lovie? So we could get a few more penalties, or so that he could showcase his lack of blocking ability, or so we could prove undoubtedly that we could not pick up a third-and-one on the ground? The more I hear, the more I'm convinced Lovie is totaly lost. Not even trying to get some use out of the rest of the season by looking at our other players.

I can't disagree with a thing you said. However, I really do not want the McCaskey's telling the coach what to do. Angelo should be letting him know that it is all about next yr at this point.

Look, I love Halas, but to be fair, how many coaches did he go through himself? His record for coaching hires was far from perfect.

here is where muggs halas came into the picture. he was the break the mold exec in this organization. he brought in finks who was related to the vikings organization (along with buddy ryan). this was nearly unheard of at the time by the founder.

george halas hired former bear personnel nearly exclusively into top positions. this is why ditka (i am nearly positive was a TE's coach in dallas) was considered by halas and force fed to finks. this was the beginning of the end of finks in chicago. in truth over the long run ditka was a poor coach overall. if we had had an innovator as HC we should have won at least 3 SB's in that era.

here is where muggs halas came into the picture. he was the break the mold exec in this organization. he brought in finks who was related to the vikings organization (along with buddy ryan). this was nearly unheard of at the time by the founder.

george halas hired former bear personnel nearly exclusively into top positions. this is why ditka (i am nearly positive was a TE's coach in dallas) was considered by halas and force fed to finks. this was the beginning of the end of finks in chicago. in truth over the long run ditka was a poor coach overall. if we had had an innovator as HC we should have won at least 3 SB's in that era.

Thank you!!!! I've been saying that for years.

Thanks for the post! Good read indeed!

The Bears are way too cheap to eat 11 million. They also would never hire a new head coach that would require $10 mil/season such as Cowher. If look at all of their recent hirerings: all were defensive coordinators and were cheap. The last time somebody got it right was Papa Bear Halas. He fired Neill Armstrong when he was 86 years old to bring in Coach Ditka. Speaking of which Mike Imrem has a facinating article about that story and how he relates it to the Lovie Smith situation here. . . Its a Must Read!

I can't disagree with a thing you said. However, I really do not want the McCaskey's telling the coach what to do. Angelo should be letting him know that it is all about next yr at this point.

Problem is, Angelo may well be just as on the hot seat as Lovie. W/ that said, Angelo would look a lot better if the players he drafted started to show increased promise, and that isn't going to happen so long as they are on the bench, inactive or playing out of position.

One thing I don't see a huge problem with, Madlith, is when Lovie says, "Smith eschewed the idea of playing for the future in the final five games. He said the Bears will field the lineup that gives them the best chance to win."

That is coach talk, and not specific to Lovie. Every coach is going to say as much. Hell, I bet Marinelli said the same when his team was winless at this point. You can start giving young players increased playing time, but you still don't admit to it being all about development. You still have a ton of veterans on the team, and you still need everyone to enter each game w/ the intention of winning. If players don't feel winning is top goal, they are going to slack off, and then it really gets ugly.

That is coach talk, and not specific to Lovie. Every coach is going to say as much. Hell, I bet Marinelli said the same when his team was winless at this point. You can start giving young players increased playing time, but you still don't admit to it being all about development. You still have a ton of veterans on the team, and you still need everyone to enter each game w/ the intention of winning. If players don't feel winning is top goal, they are going to slack off, and then it really gets ugly.

I agree 100%.

To be totally honest, I was a young kid when Halas passed, so I admit to not knowing the full story. My point though is simply this. He is glorified for stepping in and hiring Ditka. Such a move was very much outside the box, and it led us to a SB. With that said, my point is only this. Did he not also hire the previous head coaches, none of which saw a great deal of success?

Between the time Halas as HC and Ditka as HC, we had 4HCs. Dooley 4 years, no winning seasons. Gibron 3 years, one winning season. Pardee 3 years, 1 winning season. Armstrong 4 years, 1 winning season.

That doesn't look like an impression group of HCs.

Regarding Ditka, while I do not know, I doubt he was only a TE coach as he was an assistant w/ Dallas for 9 seasons. That is a long time to be just the TE coach.

Also, while this is not a popular statement I realize, but I too always thought Ditka was a bit over-rated as a HC. That group of players should have won much more than they did. Ditka will always be a Chicago Immortal as he was the HC of one of the greatest teams ever, and frankly, his personality made him (and many on that team) bigger than life.

To be totally honest, I was a young kid when Halas passed, so I admit to not knowing the full story. My point though is simply this. He is glorified for stepping in and hiring Ditka. Such a move was very much outside the box, and it led us to a SB. With that said, my point is only this. Did he not also hire the previous head coaches, none of which saw a great deal of success?

no, halas hiring ditka was not outside the box. that was what g. halas did to a fault. he hired bear personnel or ex-bear players nearly exclusively. ditka fit into this mold perfectly and was one of the main reasons that it was the beginning of the end for finks. by this time muggs halas had died and george halas forced ditka into the head coaching position without consent or approval of his GM. i believe finks never thought ditka was the best choice for chicago.

Between the time Halas as HC and Ditka as HC, we had 4HCs. Dooley 4 years, no winning seasons. Gibron 3 years, one winning season. Pardee 3 years, 1 winning season. Armstrong 4 years, 1 winning season.

That doesn't look like an impression group of HCs.

again your history is faulted.

pardee was a choice of finks and muggs halas. in fact i believe he was the first coach hired by finks in 1975. to his credit he took a woeful bear team and turned them within 3 years into a playoff contender. after that 9-5 playoff season, 1977 (the year i truly became a rabid cowboy hater forever), he mysteriously left chicago rather than renew his chicago HC contract to coach the washington redskins. this is the reason i hate THIS guy forever.

neil armstrong also was a choice of finks and armstrong again had viking ties. although he had one winning season. it was a playoff year as the bears caught a wildcard spot in '79. not a real good coach in my opinion.

Regarding Ditka, while I do not know, I doubt he was only a TE coach as he was an assistant w/ Dallas for 9 seasons. That is a long time to be just the TE coach.

ditka started out as a TE's coach and later became special teams coach. whether he was an assistant or not and what that means i don't know. it seems to me like "assistant coach" is some buzz word of the 90's for coaches you wanted to keep under contract.