Jeremy Bates?

nfoligno

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/cutler-3.html

Report: Cutler may lobby for USC coordinator

ESPN.com reports: If the Bears hire a new offensive coordinator in the offseason, Jay Cutler likely will lobby for USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, multiple sources have told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Bates worked with Cutler in Denver, where he was an assistant to Mike Shanahan. When Shanahan was fired, Cutler told the team he would only stay in Denver if Bates stayed, according to Schefter's sources. Bates left the Broncos to coach at USC.

Schefter's sources say that if Bates wants to join the Bears, USC will let him.

I realize it says Bates worked w/ Cutler in Denver, but does anyone know the extent of his duties w/ Denver? Did he call plays? Was he part of the drawing up of weekly game plans?

On one hand, I would love to add a coach Cutler is comfortable w/ and who has experience in a solid system. On the other hand, I really don't want our next OC to be a first time playcaller.

I'd be ok with this. He's young, up and coming, and has a good reputation with Jay. I also think he knows Shanny's system pretty well.

I'd rather have him as a QB coach, just because he's proven he can do that at an NFL level. If he's gotta be OC, though, I'm OK with that. Cutler definitely thinks the world of the guy:

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, one of the references on Bates' resume, issued the following statement about his former coach:

"Jeremy is one of the best offensive minds in football. He was extremely innovative with our offense and took our playbook to the next level with some of the things he did, keeping defenses off balance and changing our look but at the same time keeping it simple for us players. Some of the things he did were amazing to watch. He was always watching other teams and coming up with new ideas for our offense. He helped me grow into my third NFL season and helped me reach the Pro Bowl along with some of the other goals I set for myself. As a unit, our offense became one of the most productive in the league with Jeremy calling plays. He brought a lot of excitement to the meeting room and on the field. He made me want to come to work every day and get better. Jeremy will do great things in his new role, and USC couldn’t have picked a better guy."

Just did a bit of checking, and found a report that said Bates was the QB coach for Denver, but was actually calling the plays last year.

Okay, how about this. We hire Shanny as HC and Bates as the OC.

I thought he was the OC at Denver last year. If Shanny was calling the plays, I dont know

Just did a bit of checking, and found a report that said Bates was the QB coach for Denver, but was actually calling the plays last year.

Okay, how about this. We hire Shanny as HC and Bates as the OC.

I'd definitely be fine with that. Either way, Bates was calling the plays so I'd say he's qualified for the gig.

I'd definitely be fine with that. Either way, Bates was calling the plays so I'd say he's qualified for the gig.

I dont think Lovie will be fired, unless we lose the last 3 games. Then maybe Lovie gets fired. I do think someone will have to take the blame and it will be Turner. Bring in Weis or Bates. I like Weis because he was around the NE operation and knows how it was ran. He should have insight on how NE made their decisions and why.

I dont think Lovie will be fired, unless we lose the last 3 games. Then maybe Lovie gets fired. I do think someone will have to take the blame and it will be Turner. Bring in Weis or Bates. I like Weis because he was around the NE operation and knows how it was ran. He should have insight on how NE made their decisions and why.

There are 4 games left.

Peace :dabears

I fear so.

It would seem to me that from about 2 weeks ago on, he's being judged on reality. We should beat the Rams and Detroit, and we shouldn't beat Bal, GB and MIN. If we drop the DET game, it could be the death knell many os us are hoping for.

However, I think a wrench in the machine is the BAL game. They appear fare more vulnerable recently. I think 6-10 save's Smith. 5-11 I don't think does...

All that being said, is that we lose to GB and MN. If we pull a upset...Smith is safe I htink.

In other words, Smith is safe unless some drastic losses occur. And that could mean blowouts.... We could beat DET, and get blown out by Min or GB like 45-3...and that could be a possibility for firing.

I just feel in my heart, that this ownership will do nothing but put another band-aid on the problem. I am mentally preparing for 1 or 2 more seasons with this regime that I will boycott financially.

forgot about the Det game, if we lose the next 3 games does a Det win save Lovies job?

[quote name='MadLithuanian' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:41 PM' post='73758'

I think 6-10 save's Smith. 5-11 I don't think does...

Just to review: The front office felt in the preseason that we improved the team with the additions. We had one of the easiest schedules in the league. Lovie takes over the defensive play calling. With this in mind 6-10 saves Smith? What kind of excuses can there be? Turner sucks but is this his fault entirely? I have seen post after post on how the lovie's play calling on defense sucks, how the offensive line coach sucks, the reciever's coach sucks. So if the "ingredients" suck. Don't we fire the "chef"who brought in the ingredients? I can't rationally imagine the front office sitting down at the end of the season and saying. "well that was unacceptable. Lets do this again next year and maybe it will change." That is insanity. At this current pace every team in the division will be better except the bears.

If Bates is so good that he can resurrect this offense, then bring it on. However I don't think that bates alone will right this ship. Not to mention that if we brought in bates and lovie goes next year. Will the next coach be okay with bates. We can't be changing offenses every year.

Again, who do you like on this team?

I tend to agree with him on this actually. IMHO, who cares who Cutler wants for OC.

Now I admit, I don't follow USC. I did look at there offensive points per game, and this is the first year since 2001-2002 that USC's offense hasn't scored over 30 ppg.

Does that means Bates sucks? No not necessarily. The last time the Bears went for someones buddy instead of searching for the best person possible for the position it backfired in Bablich.

Cutler is the teams QB for years to come. That, however, doesn't mean he should be coddled. To me he hasn't earned the right to make personel decisions on this team yet. If he was Peyton Manning who has shown what he could do for ten years for the team and had a good guage on what a team needs in an offensive coordinator, then have at it.

Cutler is the teams QB for years to come. That, however, doesn't mean he should be coddled. To me he hasn't earned the right to make personel decisions on this team yet. If he was Peyton Manning who has shown what he could do for ten years for the team and had a good guage on what a team needs in an offensive coordinator, then have at it.

Sorry but you kinda contradict yourself here. You compare both Manning and Cutler in regards to tenure (past and future) not skill. With that in mind wouldn't you want instead to cater to a QB that for all intent and purpose is the new face of the Franchise? If not just for the Offense alone?

I tend to agree with him on this actually. IMHO, who cares who Cutler wants for OC.

Now I admit, I don't follow USC. I did look at there offensive points per game, and this is the first year since 2001-2002 that USC's offense hasn't scored over 30 ppg.

Does that means Bates sucks? No not necessarily. The last time the Bears went for someones buddy instead of searching for the best person possible for the position it backfired in Bablich.

Well, I don't think he's being coddled at all. After trading the future for a QB, I think the guy can have some say in who we hire to work with that QB.

And last time I checked, with Bates in Denver, that offense was great. Granted, we won't have Royal, that OL, and Marshall, but Cutler made Royal. Maybe we'll land Marshall in FA this offseason. Hopefully the OL keeps getting better.

I am a USC fan, and this year, their struggles are all on their defense. They lost the 4 big time LB's to the NFL (Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews, Maiava), as well as 2 CB's. They haven't been able to stop anyone, and despite that + having a freshman QB, they still won 9 games. Hiring a guy like Bates would help IMO.

Sorry but you kinda contradict yourself here. You compare both Manning and Cutler in regards to tenure (past and future) not skill. With that in mind wouldn't you want instead to cater to a QB that for all intent and purpose is the new face of the Franchise? If not just for the Offense alone?

I don't see the contradiction. My point was totally about tenure and experience in the league. Manning has an understanding of the offenses in the NFL that Cutler just does not have yet, nor do I think any 4th year QB would have. Your skill is irrelevant to me. If you went on skill set alone, Michael Vick would have a future as a GM in this league with that line of thinking.

Ie. if Mike Brown was not let go, I would have taken into consideration his thoughts when looking for a defensive coordinator. He seemed to have a very good defensive mind, knew the talent on the team and experienced different systems/coaches.

I think you should cater to Cutler in finding him a good offensive line and WR's. I do not think you should hire your offensive coordinator or head coach based on what makes him happy. He's a professional and should be able to work well with the best available. I personally want this team to get better, not for Jay to feel warm and fuzzy every morning because he gets to work with his friend.

USC's offense hasn't looked good this year, but this is the first time Bates has ever been a coach at the college level (he went right from college QB to NFL assistant) and he's working with a true freshman QB. I can imagine there'd be a learning curve. Also, their star running back had that godawful injury when he was bench-pressing and dropped the bar on his neck. It hasn't been a good year for USC's offense, all around.

As for whether Cutler's opinion counts, I absolutely think it does. I don't care who he'd be happier working with, but Bates is a guy who Cutler has proven he can be successful working with. Look at Favre on the Jets versus Favre on the Vikings: he was crap in New York, then he goes to Minnesota and plays his best football in years. Want to know what the difference is? The Vikings have Darrell Bevell as their offensive coordinator, and he was Favre's QB coach in Green Bay from 2000-2005. It's not just that Favre liked the guy and wanted to work with him - Bevell uses an offensive system that Favre already knew, was comfortable with, and could execute at a high level. In NY, Kyle Shanahan's offensive terminology was totally different, his passing system was very different from what Favre had played in before, and Favre struggled to adjust.

I'm not saying Jay should get to pick the OC. We should still be looking for the best guy for the job. But in evaluating whether Bates is that guy, it has to weigh in his favor that he runs a system that Cutler already knows and has proved can be great in. Remember that we're probably going to be installing a whole new offense when Turner goes; it'd make the transition a lot easier if it were a system that the guy directing the offense is already familiar with and good at.

I don't think it is a matter of making a decision based on an individual because Cutler asks for him. I think it is a matter of signing a coach that works well with Cutler. Cutler is the player this team needs to build around, both in terms of talent and coaching. You would not, for example, look to sign a run first and often coach when you have a QB like Cutler. You need to find an OC that runs a system that fits Cutler.

I don't think you look at Bates because Cutler asks for him, but you look at Bates because (if) Bates appears to be a coach who's system would fit well with Cutler and you believe a coach like that could maximize Cutler's strengths.

I don't see the contradiction. My point was totally about tenure and experience in the league. Manning has an understanding of the offenses in the NFL that Cutler just does not have yet, nor do I think any 4th year QB would have. Your skill is irrelevant to me. If you went on skill set alone, Michael Vick would have a future as a GM in this league with that line of thinking.

Ie. if Mike Brown was not let go, I would have taken into consideration his thoughts when looking for a defensive coordinator. He seemed to have a very good defensive mind, knew the talent on the team and experienced different systems/coaches.

I think you should cater to Cutler in finding him a good offensive line and WR's. I do not think you should hire your offensive coordinator or head coach based on what makes him happy. He's a professional and should be able to work well with the best available. I personally want this team to get better, not for Jay to feel warm and fuzzy every morning because he gets to work with his friend.

Don't get me wrong, I think Smith should be fired regardless of what goes down the rest of this season. I don't think the epiphany will hit and he all of a sudden will get it. We may win, but it'll be becasue of flukes and other teams messing up.

This regime has all been about passing the buck. Smith is more teflon than Reagan ever was...

I'm personally fed up with this ineptness and have vowed not to line the McCaskey's pockets directly.

The games will be on, and they will still get profit from TV revenue. So, I'm going to watch.

But I will not go to a game as I've done every year for close to the past 10 years. I will not buy a single Bears product, which I've done repeatedly for decades. I love the team and the sport too much not to watch. But I will not directly line the coffers of the McCaskey's until I feel there is competent management & coaching in place. That may be a while.

[quote name='MadLithuanian' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:41 PM' post='73758'

I think 6-10 save's Smith. 5-11 I don't think does...

Just to review: The front office felt in the preseason that we improved the team with the additions. We had one of the easiest schedules in the league. Lovie takes over the defensive play calling. With this in mind 6-10 saves Smith? What kind of excuses can there be? Turner sucks but is this his fault entirely? I have seen post after post on how the lovie's play calling on defense sucks, how the offensive line coach sucks, the reciever's coach sucks. So if the "ingredients" suck. Don't we fire the "chef"who brought in the ingredients? I can't rationally imagine the front office sitting down at the end of the season and saying. "well that was unacceptable. Lets do this again next year and maybe it will change." That is insanity. At this current pace every team in the division will be better except the bears.

If Bates is so good that he can resurrect this offense, then bring it on. However I don't think that bates alone will right this ship. Not to mention that if we brought in bates and lovie goes next year. Will the next coach be okay with bates. We can't be changing offenses every year.

Don't get me wrong, I think Smith should be fired regardless of what goes down the rest of this season. I don't think the epiphany will hit and he all of a sudden will get it. We may win, but it'll be becasue of flukes and other teams messing up.

This regime has all been about passing the buck. Smith is more teflon than Reagan ever was...

I'm personally fed up with this ineptness and have vowed not to line the McCaskey's pockets directly.

The games will be on, and they will still get profit from TV revenue. So, I'm going to watch.

But I will not go to a game as I've done every year for close to the past 10 years. I will not buy a single Bears product, which I've done repeatedly for decades. I love the team and the sport too much not to watch. But I will not directly line the coffers of the McCaskey's until I feel there is competent management & coaching in place. That may be a while.

I admire your principles. I have been a bears fan for 25 years. I live out west and when I saw how the bears were "conducting business" this season I took my plane tickets and money and changed my plans to Vegas. I figured I am throwing my money away regardlessly. I can justify supporting my own idiocy. What I can't justify is buying into eating what they are feeding me. To do so is to be okay with it. Some will say I am not a true fan. I chose "loyal consumer." As a loyal consumer to the brand "chicago bears" I am part of the growing population that is giving feedback to the company that their product needs to be recalled and a product more befitting the "bears" brand be released to the public.

I hope my talk isn't big and I fold like a house of cards when I see some cool product or get offered good seats! ;) But, I really do truly intend not to buy Bears products.

I live out west as well in LA. I ended up doing both Chicago and Vegas. I went to the Lions game. I was still high on Cutler, and at least at that point, things were going OK.

I think we need more "loyal consumers" like yourself! You're not going in with blind faith, you're questioning things. Most of us here on this board are just that. Some more vocal than others is all!

I admire your principles. I have been a bears fan for 25 years. I live out west and when I saw how the bears were "conducting business" this season I took my plane tickets and money and changed my plans to Vegas. I figured I am throwing my money away regardlessly. I can justify supporting my own idiocy. What I can't justify is buying into eating what they are feeding me. To do so is to be okay with it. Some will say I am not a true fan. I chose "loyal consumer." As a loyal consumer to the brand "chicago bears" I am part of the growing population that is giving feedback to the company that their product needs to be recalled and a product more befitting the "bears" brand be released to the public.