Culter throws pass into tent

Chitownhustla

Personally, I like hearing our DL is kicking ass. I am not concerned yet about our OL. I like hearing that Peppers, Harris, & Anderson were all putting pressure on Cutler at times. It sounds as if Cutler still had a good day.

In a story in the Sun-Times Online News Site:

Day 5 Camp Summary: D gets under Cutler's skin

D Gets Under Cutler's Skin

By

Sean Jensen on August 3, 2010 6:26 PM

Jay Cutler is off limits during practice, wearing a bright red jersey, just like all the quarterbacks.

But the Bears defense seemed to annoy him on Tuesday.

Let's first establish that Cutler didn't have a bad day. During one stretch, Cutler completed seven passes in a row, including two to Johnny Knox and one to tight end Greg Olsen.

But that was in seven-on-seven drills, which means it doesn't include the defensive line.

When lines were on the field, the offense's unit certainly had some positive moments, giving Cutler time to complete passes. But there were a handful of clear sacks, as well, with defensive tackle Tommie Harris once swatting the ball out of Cutler's hands as he ran by in front of him.

Cutler showed the first sign of frustration, picking the ball up and tossing at Harris' feet about five feet away.

Later, though, the offensive line had two bad plays in a row in a full squad situation. Julius Peppers blew by Frank Omiyale. Then, the entire defensive line collapsed the pocket, and Mark Anderson appeared in position to get a sack of Cutler.

The quarterback responded by chucking the ball toward the right sideline, at the top of a large, white tent.

Asked if his quarterback was frustrated, Bears coach Lovie Smith said, "I don't know about frustrated.

"We have scholarship players on the other side of the ball too. Jay's a good player. I'm really pleased with what he's done. But it's good competition."

Peppers, meanwhile, downplayed any frustration the quarterback should have.

"I don't know if we frustrated him because he's not getting hit so he can't really feel it," Peppers said. "Yet. He wasn't taking any punishment."

Other notable things from today's practice:

* LB Brian Iwuh injured his knee during practice, and he was carted off.

* LB Hunter Hillenmeyer didn't practice because of a groin injury, Smith said.

* Cutler's best pass was in the middle of the field, to Rashied Davis. It appeared to be a forced pass, since Brian Urlacher and a safety were in the vicinity. But Davis ran right onto the ball, and he brought it in for about 20 yards.

* One of the more comical sights was seeing James Marten (6 foot 8) lined up at left guard. He's three inches taller than the left tackle on that play, Kevin Shaffer.

* Johnny Knox was definitely the most targeted receiver by Jay Cutler on Tuesday. He made several nice plays. But a sure touchdown was to Devin Aromashodu, who was streaking down the left sideline and ran under a deep pass from Cutler.

Actually, this does worry me about the O-line, and thusly worries me slightly about the D Line...

Is the O line that bad, is the d line that good? A bad O line makes a d line look better... But a great D line makes on o line look worse. I just hope the OL comes together, otherwise Cutler will be in traction by mid season...

Personally, I like hearing our DL is kicking ass. I am not concerned yet about our OL. I like hearing that Peppers, Harris, & Anderson were all putting pressure on Cutler at times. It sounds as if Cutler still had a good day.

I think you have to take into considering what is going on with our OL. While the DL is loaded with talented veterans, the OL has many young players still learning their position. Further, the DL (for the most part) can simply tee off right now based on talent, while the OL is trying to impliment new blocking techniques/schemes. Tice also talked about how the OL is working on various snap counts. Point is, the OL is more of a development here while the DL is simply in a position to take off at the QB.

Still, the reports thus far about Omiyale have not been good. He has been getting flagged a lot for false starts, and the staff has been pulling him from the lineup from the infraction (which I love). To me, a big reason for a false start is a player who feels he has to cheat a bit in order to win the battle. That or a lack of concentration, neither of which is good. So Omiyale has been getting flagged for false starts and been fairly abused.

I think it is still way early to pass judgement on the OL, and I think the DL should have been expected to outperform the OL early on, but if the DL continues to own the OL longer into camp, then I think we will begin to worry. While it could mean our DL is playing well, I just have a hard time believing they are "that" great.

Actually, this does worry me about the O-line, and thusly worries me slightly about the D Line...

Is the O line that bad, is the d line that good? A bad O line makes a d line look better... But a great D line makes on o line look worse. I just hope the OL comes together, otherwise Cutler will be in traction by mid season...

This happened near the end of practice and it wasn't in 11 on 11 drills and was when the offens was running the passing plays where the QB had 4 seconds to get rid of the ball. IMO he didn't have a particularly stellar day and a lot of the catches made by the WRs were tough as he was trying to fit the ball in tight spots.

i can respect the fact that the Dline can tee off and is a more vet group. Im more concerned with why Cutler was getting frustrated. Is it cuz the Oline just have no idea on who they are suppose to be blocking and that is causing them to miss blocks or is it that their talent level will not allow them to keep up with our Dline? Hopefully it is the scheme and not the talent level. I can understand learning a new scheme will take time and the Dline should be ahead of our Oline.

i can respect the fact that the Dline can tee off and is a more vet group. Im more concerned with why Cutler was getting frustrated. Is it cuz the Oline just have no idea on who they are suppose to be blocking and that is causing them to miss blocks or is it that their talent level will not allow them to keep up with our Dline? Hopefully it is the scheme and not the talent level. I can understand learning a new scheme will take time and the Dline should be ahead of our Oline.

What it appeared to me was that the D-line looked more talented than our O-line. IMO Cutler was having a not so sharp day.At one point he looked as if he was cramping up in his calf some.The O-lines struggles were scheme related on pass plays but on the run plays they were opening some holes.

What it appeared to me was that the D-line looked more talented than our O-line. IMO Cutler was having a not so sharp day.At one point he looked as if he was cramping up in his calf some.The O-lines struggles were scheme related on pass plays but on the run plays they were opening some holes.

that is great to hear

I'm with MadLith. This worries me, A LOT.

You are changing where the focus should be. This is not about how good the DL is doing, this is about how poorly the OL is doing. It's hard to judge how well you are playing when your opponent is unquestionably inferior. Mark my words. This is one of those "playing against lesser competition" things, and it's going to hurt the Bears in the season if it continues.

I think it is pretty well known that defenses are further ahead when camp starts, and with the OL learning a new scheme, new blocking technique, as well as several new faces to new positions, the reasons for their being behind the D are that much great.

I agree it is not time to panic, but

(a) Omiyale seems to be standing out in a bad way. Too many false start penalties and getting beaten like a drum on a regular basis. Its one thing to get beat by Peppers, but I believe I have read about him getting beated by Anderson, Wooten and Lovie's grandma. Because we have Shaffer, Omiyale not being capable of playing RT may not be the end of the world, but my concern is, like last year, the team will leave him out there regardless of performance.

(B) As for the OL as a whole, while it is not time to panic, I do have to question whether we were realistic in our belief they could perform well enough soon enough. OL takes time to gell, and with several new starters, including some youth, we are no exception. Throw in all the rest of the new stuff, and I just wonder if this won't be a situation similar to last year. Bad OL early on, but improvement during the season to the point it looks decent or better by the end. Problem is, by that point it may be too late.

Listening to a podcast yesterday & they said while the OL being poor now may be a concern it's nothing to panic about yet. The D aint learning a new system the O is