URLACHER

Controlled Chaos

How about all those people that said this defense was "old and slow." Its amazing I woke up today and logged on facebook and all my friends who hate the bears haven't said a single word lol.

I don't know how anybody could have said that about out LB core. Interior D-line...yes. As for the defense, I still hate the scheme, but if we're stuck with it...we're stuck with it.

I don't know how anybody could have said that about out LB core. Interior D-line...yes. As for the defense, I still hate the scheme, but if we're stuck with it...we're stuck with it.

I too hate the d scheme. The Puckers must have had the ball forever on O. And Gruden, or Jaws, commented several times that that is the object of Lovie's D: play the percentages, eventually the drive will stall, there will be a penalty and then the D gets off. Hate to watch it and long for an aggressive attacking D. But not with Lovie.

Guest TerraTor
I too hate the d scheme. The Puckers must have had the ball forever on O. And Gruden, or Jaws, commented several times that that is the object of Lovie's D: play the percentages, eventually the drive will stall, there will be a penalty and then the D gets off. Hate to watch it and long for an aggressive attacking D. But not with Lovie.

ya know dam well I wasn't ripping Urlacher. However, I do hate the scheme of play 8yards off the WRs and never blitz anyone.

It may not be the prettiest scheme ever...but 17 points against a top rated offense that averages 30 points is nothing to sneeze at. Even if you count the field goal block...20 points against that offense is really, really good.

An aggressive, attacking defense can work in some games...but you put a QB who knows what he's doing against that D...and he's liable to rip it to shreds. The top QB's want you to blitz them because it opens up single coverage on the mid range routes.

It wasn't a great performance by Briggs and Urlacher, but there were some big hits and they made the big play at the end of the game. Our scheme is a very very good one if it has a strong pass-rush from our dline. If it doesn't, it is a tough scheme, but you can say that about most schemes.

I see our rush improving each game and I think it is just a matter of time before we are consistently hitting that QB and forcing quite a few TO's. And I must admit, its nice to have Urlacher back in the middle!!!

It wasn't a great performance by Briggs and Urlacher, but there were some big hits and they made the big play at the end of the game. Our scheme is a very very good one if it has a strong pass-rush from our dline. If it doesn't, it is a tough scheme, but you can say that about most schemes.

I see our rush improving each game and I think it is just a matter of time before we are consistently hitting that QB and forcing quite a few TO's. And I must admit, its nice to have Urlacher back in the middle!!!

1 thing people forget to mention is that we have faced to very mobile QB's in Romo and Rodgers. Those 2 are very good about making things happen when they escape the pocket. If Rodgers wasn't mobile would you dare guess how many sacks we might have had

I am a critic of Urlacher and am willing to eat a slight bit of crow...he has looked good so far this year.

That being said, he has not done much the last 2 years and I still don't like his character.....hence the only small portion of crow, thank you. I honestly don't think we would lose that much putting any one of a number of guys in there in his place.

I honestly don't think we would lose that much putting any one of a number of guys in there in his place.

Any number = a number less than 5, sure. You could probably find a handful of guys who could be as effective as Urlacher was last night. You're not just finding them off the scrapheap. You're instead talking about pro-bowlers. Maybe HOF caliber players.

I am a critic of Urlacher and am willing to eat a slight bit of crow...he has looked good so far this year.

That being said, he has not done much the last 2 years and I still don't like his character.....hence the only small portion of crow, thank you. I honestly don't think we would lose that much putting any one of a number of guys in there in his place.

I like your honesty about being an Urlacher critic and I agree that in the past two seasons he has been limited but I'm not sure I agree with the team wouldn't lose much if he were not in there. Who on our roster would be better right now? The team record has reflected his absence the last two seasons and by his absence I mean the defense has been sub-par and now they are playing at a level that is comparable to 2006. With Hillenmeyer on IR and Roach on the mend that leaves an injured Iwuh. I see Briggs on the same level as Urlacher when it comes to making plays this season but Pisa hasn't made the same impact as those two.

Any number = a number less than 5, sure. You could probably find a handful of guys who could be as effective as Urlacher was last night. You're not just finding them off the scrapheap. You're instead talking about pro-bowlers. Maybe HOF caliber players.

I have to admit not being able to see last nights game...damn it. But, from what I have read and the action I have been able to see this year, the Dallas game, I would say that there are guys starting on most NFL teams who could do about 90% of what Url does for us, and Pro Bowl level guys could likely do more, especially over the whole season. Let's see how he does through the whole schedule. Surely not HOF caliber? I find it hard to believe he is playing that well....

As I have said, I readily admit I find the guy lacking in class completely, so really do not care for him. I would prefer having guys who had character and maybe a bit less talent. That is just me, and is a portion of my thoughts about Urlacher, in addition to his mediocrity the last couple of years.

I like your honesty about being an Urlacher critic and I agree that in the past two seasons he has been limited but I'm not sure I agree with the team wouldn't lose much if he were not in there. Who on our roster would be better right now? The team record has reflected his absence the last two seasons and by his absence I mean the defense has been sub-par and now they are playing at a level that is comparable to 2006. With Hillenmeyer on IR and Roach on the mend that leaves an injured Iwuh. I see Briggs on the same level as Urlacher when it comes to making plays this season but Pisa hasn't made the same impact as those two.

You are likely correct, I would argue that Jamar Williams, gone now, or Nick Roach when healthy, could pretty much do what Url does, maybe 90%. If we have a chance to actually see it could be interesting.

Not talking about his off-field demeanor, I think you're off base. There's actually very few MLB's that could do what Url does. Especially in Smith's D. Guys like Ray Lewis excel in something more similar to what we ran with Blache under Jauron. I think only Willis could do what Urlacher does right now at best... While we will still have to wait and see how the rest of the season pans out, at least through 3 games, Url is a pro bowler.

Our record with him vs without him is quite diffferent.

I have to admit not being able to see last nights game...damn it. But, from what I have read and the action I have been able to see this year, the Dallas game, I would say that there are guys starting on most NFL teams who could do about 90% of what Url does for us, and Pro Bowl level guys could likely do more, especially over the whole season. Let's see how he does through the whole schedule. Surely not HOF caliber? I find it hard to believe he is playing that well....

As I have said, I readily admit I find the guy lacking in class completely, so really do not care for him. I would prefer having guys who had character and maybe a bit less talent. That is just me, and is a portion of my thoughts about Urlacher, in addition to his mediocrity the last couple of years.

Seriously? Jamar and Roach are 90% on par with Urlacher? Deventry, read what you're posting. It's ludicrous!

If we had a chance to see it, we'd be 0-3....

You are likely correct, I would argue that Jamar Williams, gone now, or Nick Roach when healthy, could pretty much do what Url does, maybe 90%. If we have a chance to actually see it could be interesting.

So someone like myself who did watch all 3 games this season is probably more incline to give a true assessment of his football playing ability and could care less about whether he has class or not because I don't socialize in his circle or as a matter of fact any professional athlete's circle because I don't have their life style. If I started to go over every player's lifestyle with a fine-toothed comb, I wouldn't be able to watch my favorite sport. This is my opinion and I respect your right to not care for Urlacher because that is personal to you. I just watch the games to see these guys entertain me as a release from the daily work grind. When any Bears player makes plays I'm happy their interviews and lives outside of the game are not too important to me unless it stops them from making plays in the next game. These guys are humans who in most cases are half my age so why should I act like I don't remember what it was like to be cocky at their age.

Wow...In the nicest way possible.....you're delusional. you've seen him one game this year??? How many games have you seen him in the last 5 years? Do you just go by what you read? It's pretty clear to anyone who watches the Bears casually, not too mention those that are students of the game...that Urlacher is an athletic freak. The only time he hasn't played at a HOF level is when he was playing hurt.

Also, you can call him classless if you want....but if it has anything to do with how he is with the media....that all started when they decided to plaster his face on the front page of the newspaper. He was very affable and approachable in the beginning...then his personal life started getting in the news and he has carried a chip since. He constantly deflects the praise to his teammates and you never see him doing the selfless promotion antics on the field. Not sure what is so classless to you, but he plays hard and his teammates rave about him. That's enough for me.

Urlacher's range and smarts on the field are a huge part of what we do. He is not as fast as he used to be but he still has great range and covers a lot of ground. We've seen what happens with a lesser player (Hillenmeyer) who supposedly has the smarts but not the range and it amounts to a big hole on the D.

Not talking about his off-field demeanor, I think you're off base. There's actually very few MLB's that could do what Url does. Especially in Smith's D. Guys like Ray Lewis excel in something more similar to what we ran with Blache under Jauron. I think only Willis could do what Urlacher does right now at best... While we will still have to wait and see how the rest of the season pans out, at least through 3 games, Url is a pro bowler.

Our record with him vs without him is quite diffferent.

I did not notice much of a dropoff with HH in there last year. When Url is 100% or close he makes a difference, but not that much IMO.

Wow...In the nicest way possible.....you're delusional. you've seen him one game this year??? How many games have you seen him in the last 5 years? Do you just go by what you read? It's pretty clear to anyone who watches the Bears casually, not too mention those that are students of the game...that Urlacher is an athletic freak. The only time he hasn't played at a HOF level is when he was playing hurt.

Also, you can call him classless if you want....but if it has anything to do with how he is with the media....that all started when they decided to plaster his face on the front page of the newspaper. He was very affable and approachable in the beginning...then his personal life started getting in the news and he has carried a chip since. He constantly deflects the praise to his teammates and you never see him doing the selfless promotion antics on the field. Not sure what is so classless to you, but he plays hard and his teammates rave about him. That's enough for me.

It is always easy to start calling name on the net, I won't stoop to that level and would encourage you to do the same.

I have watched quite a few games over the past 5 years, and also value the information that I read from reputable sources, and I would agree Url was quite special up until about three or four years ago but since then has been average in the main and I know this is mainly due to injury.

Part of the reason I am as critical as I am of Urlacher is because of his talent and the potential he had to be the spokesperson for the team and the city. What he did instead was behave off-field in a very immature way and basically make a fool of himself. And sorry, if you want to play in the NFL and make the money then your going to get media attention, many other players manage just fine. I happen to value character more than some and would like players to behave like they are adults rather than perennial teenagers.

So someone like myself who did watch all 3 games this season is probably more incline to give a true assessment of his football playing ability and could care less about whether he has class or not because I don't socialize in his circle or as a matter of fact any professional athlete's circle because I don't have their life style. If I started to go over every player's lifestyle with a fine-toothed comb, I wouldn't be able to watch my favorite sport. This is my opinion and I respect your right to not care for Urlacher because that is personal to you. I just watch the games to see these guys entertain me as a release from the daily work grind. When any Bears player makes plays I'm happy their interviews and lives outside of the game are not too important to me unless it stops them from making plays in the next game. These guys are humans who in most cases are half my age so why should I act like I don't remember what it was like to be cocky at their age.

Yep, someone like you might be able to give a better view of his play this year, although I don't think I am really arguing that.

To me, the Bears represent Chicago. So when I see a member of the team, especially a prominent member, act like an ass in public that does bother me. I would personally be quite happy to have guys who have character and a bit less talent, even if that meant winning less.

Url isn't the spokesperson for the city, that's unfortunately the mayor!

And the spokesperson from the team is unfortunatley Smith! Now, he may be the "face" of the franchise, but really, what has he done? He's had a few chippy statements to the press. He's had child support issues with an ex. He's got bad taste in girlfreinds. Did he get a DUI? Did he punch a fan in a stadium? Did he skip camp? Did he crash his car and run away? Seriously, while he might have a personality of a haystack, I could care less. Because when he's on the filed, he is a beast among men!

Ray Lewis is Ali compared to Url being Shemp in the media. But, most other LB's have personalities of haystacks as well.

Part of the reason I am as critical as I am of Urlacher is because of his talent and the potential he had to be the spokesperson for the team and the city. What he did instead was behave off-field in a very immature way and basically make a fool of himself. And sorry, if you want to play in the NFL and make the money then your going to get media attention, many other players manage just fine. I happen to value character more than some and would like players to behave like they are adults rather than perennial teenagers.