A little more fuel for the fire

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-279578

"I've played against [Hall] before -- there's no reason to shy away from him. That's hard to say after throwing four picks at a guy, but if we had to play him tomorrow, I'd go at him every time." That was Cutler's response to the valid question: "Why did you keep throwing Hall's way, when he was picking off everything in his area?" It's true that Hall isn't exactly Brandon Flowers(notes) or Darrelle Revis(notes), but this goes beyond hubris on Cutler's part. Easy enough to give a perfunctory answer about how Hall played a great game, and "the breaks just didn't go our way," blah blah blah ... but this?

Photos: See more images of Jay Cutler's miserable day

The fact that Cutler would go at Hall every time helps explain part of the reason he struggles (and the Bears struggle with him). Like any quarterback with a great arm, he's obstinate to a degree about the things he can do. But the Bears' offense is in freefall with its offensive line issues and overall underperformance, and at a certain point, it makes sense to reel it in and go with a safe game plan until everyone can get their heads together.

The Bears managed 61 rushing yards on just 13 carries from Matt Forte(notes) and Chester Taylor(notes) -- an impressive level of per-carry efficiency -- so why didn't they go more to the rushing attack? Because offensive coordinator Mike Martz is just as obstinate about his own aerial game plan. In a game where your team is never down by more than three points, and your quarterback is imploding, why on earth wouldn't you bring the chaos back down to earth for a while?

Confidence? Stupidity? Both...

"I've played against [Hall] before -- there's no reason to shy away from him. That's hard to say after throwing four picks at a guy, but if we had to play him tomorrow, I'd go at him every time." That was Cutler's response to the valid question: "Why did you keep throwing Hall's way, when he was picking off everything in his area?" It's true that Hall isn't exactly Brandon Flowers(notes) or Darrelle Revis(notes), but this goes beyond hubris on Cutler's part. Easy enough to give a perfunctory answer about how Hall played a great game, and "the breaks just didn't go our way," blah blah blah ... but this?

The fact that Cutler would go at Hall every time helps explain part of the reason he struggles (and the Bears struggle with him). Like any quarterback with a great arm, he's obstinate to a degree about the things he can do. But the Bears' offense is in freefall with its offensive line issues and overall underperformance, and at a certain point, it makes sense to reel it in and go with a safe game plan until everyone can get their heads together.

The Bears managed 61 rushing yards on just 13 carries from Matt Forte(notes) and Chester Taylor(notes) -- an impressive level of per-carry efficiency -- so why didn't they go more to the rushing attack? Because offensive coordinator Mike Martz is just as obstinate about his own aerial game plan. In a game where your team is never down by more than three points, and your quarterback is imploding, why on earth wouldn't you bring the chaos back down to earth for a while?

lol I read this crap about him and about threw up. This dude is clueless.

Cutler has lost his confidence. Blame the line troubles, coaching or his lack of intestinal fortitude. Whatever you like. He's got happy feet now and is throwing the ball up for grabs. There isn't an easy answer here guys, the O Line isn't a quick fix and Cutler's swagger is gone.

I'll give you one answer. Bennett and DA should be starting. Knox and Hester can fight it out for the #3. It won't fix the issue but its a start.

Peace :dabears

Moose was wrong. Chicago isn't where WR's go to die...it's where QB's go to die.

Cutler has lost his confidence. Blame the line troubles, coaching or his lack of intestinal fortitude. Whatever you like. He's got happy feet now and is throwing the ball up for grabs. There isn't an easy answer here guys, the O Line isn't a quick fix and Cutler's swagger is gone.

Meh...I don't mind Jay's comments at all. I mind his piss poor throws making Hall look like an all star. I mind Martz and his freakin offensive calls. I mind the major suckage on the O line. I mind the sub par receivers. But I could really give a shit if Cutler didn't feel the need to jerk off the guy who he just threw the ball to 4 times.

McNabb seems to be OK with Washingtons crap Oline and subpar WR. Its the Qb makin' things happen. And Cutler just cant do it

Please don't make a comment so ignorant as to compare the Washington OL with the Chicago OL. That's just simply ridiculous. They have Jamal Brown and Trent Williams, two first rounders, not to mention an underrated center in Casay Rabach.

side note: Jay's swagger is still on the ground in the Giant's Stadium.

Not to make excuses for Jay but 3 of the picks his WR's did not continue the route or even fight to break up the pass which Troy Aikman also pointed out. Jay should of had a rushing TD but we all know that Lovie inexcusably did not that game changing play.

Can we get D. Clark and Kellen Davis some reps at H-Back / TE?

The hardest thing to accept is that the Bears beat themselves once again (whole Offense and Coaching) for the second straight week.

Heres to hoping that they can regroup on the bye week!

Can we get D. Clark and Kellen Davis some reps at H-Back / TE?

The hardest thing to accept is that the Bears beat themselves once again (whole Offense and Coaching) for the second straight week.

Heres to hoping that they can regroup on the bye week!

Were those two even active for the last game? My God, use them for extra protection, at least they'd bring soe new potential in that area.

And I hate to say it, but with all the mess we've had, we have been in every game this year. The players have to feel that they just need a bit moreimprovement and they'll get over the hump. And they are still right there, on paper at least, in the thick of the NFC race.

Now that was Kool Aide!

Were those two even active for the last game? My God, use them for extra protection, at least they'd bring soe new potential in that area.

And I hate to say it, but with all the mess we've had, we have been in every game this year. The players have to feel that they just need a bit moreimprovement and they'll get over the hump. And they are still right there, on paper at least, in the thick of the NFC race.

Now that was Kool Aide!

I think a big part of the problem is we had no use for a fullback on this team. Try as much as they want...Olsen, Davis, Clark, Manuwastedyourcashola are not run blockers. Most of the time when they are lined up in the backfield...they're not even good decoys. The defense knows the RB isn't following up their backside. They weren't trained to power through a hole and drill a LB. They are just a body in the backfield to help pass protect and everyone on the god dam defense knows it. Any yards gained from our RB's are on them and the OL. Both Forte and Taylor would be drastically better with a real fullback. Oh and I'm guessing their 10 plays from the opponent's one-yard line this season would have resulted in more than 0 TD's and 2 turnovers.

We've been lacking a strong FB for what seems like decades now...

I think a big part of the problem is we had no use for a fullback on this team. Try as much as they want...Olsen, Davis, Clark, Manuwastedyourcashola are not run blockers. Most of the time when they are lined up in the backfield...they're not even good decoys. The defense knows the RB isn't following up their backside. They weren't trained to power through a hole and drill a LB. They are just a body in the backfield to help pass protect and everyone on the god dam defense knows it. Any yards gained from our RB's are on them and the OL. Both Forte and Taylor would be drastically better with a real fullback. Oh and I'm guessing their 10 plays from the opponent's one-yard line this season would have resulted in more than 0 TD's and 2 turnovers.

It's not the comments that I mind either. To some degree he's probably just overcompensating for the natural dip in confidence you'd feel after a bad game. But to some degree, I think he really is that cocky. Human beings are complicated...and he can be both at the same time.

Also, he's not stupid. He had to know as it was in the process of coming out of his mouth that people would go after him for making such a comment, but he's probably thinking to himself "Wrongly or rightly. I do what I do to win games, and what some fan says on an internet forum is about 121st on the list of priorities for me, so why can't I just say what I think?" He's right. It made him sound stupid, but I think Cutler knew it sounded stupid and wasn't afraid.

I unfortunately identify with Cutler's "screw-the-world and I don't care who doesn't like it" mentality, but I can also tell you that when you get to that point, what you're really looking for, without admitting it, is help...someone to have your back. If I was coach I'd sit him down and matter-of-factly say, "let's work together on getting you to play smart, taking your chances only when they're there, no exceptions. And I'll be taking the same take-care-of-business attutude with the rest of the O. Once we get you back out there, it's going to be exciting. you ready?" Keep it simple, no room for inner turmoil or dramatics. Cutler wants to win. He's not some Cade Mcnown in terms of attitude. As long as that will is there, you've got something to work with.

Chester Taylor anyone? I don't believe we gave Chester 12 million to get 7 touches a game. Let him run routes out of the H-Back role here and there...he needs to be on the field a lot more.

On goal lines situations, also.

If Martz doesn't run the hell out of the ball in 8 days, I'm going to hope he's run out of Chicago RIGHT AFTER the game. Buffalo's run defense is last in the NFL, IIRC. Taylor should have atleast 13 carries and Forte should have atleast 25 by game's end.