Toub a possibility

Connorbear

So let's go down the list of likely candidates, according to that article's source:

- Dave Toub

- Bill Cowher

- Leslie Frazier

- Ron Rivera

- Jim Harbaugh

- Mike Singletary

...that's an awesome list. With the exception of Singletary, who I think may not be head-coach material just yet, I'd be happy with any of those guys running the show. Especially Toub: he's done a consistently excellent job with special teams, despite losing tons of his star players to offense/defense/trades/free agency. If he can keep his unit playing at a top-5 level with that much turnover in talent, he's a good candidate for head coach in my mind.

Another point: how good is that Philly coaching tree? The article mentions that Toub, John Harbaugh, and Steve Spagnuolo all came up through the Eagles' pipeline, but they should have listed Frazier and Rivera, too. It seems like, with the exception of Childress, every guy who was a coach under Andy Reid and Jim Johnson turns into a pretty good coach himself.

I still think Cowher ends up in Carolina. Singletary become a head coach too soon & needs to go back to assisting for a bit.

Toub pound for pound is one of the best coaches in the league

Totally agree. Carolina's headed for a major regime change, and Cowher's already hinted that he'd like to stay close to home. Singletary could still end up being a good head coach, but I don't think he was ready from an Xs and Os standpoint. If Lovie gets the axe, I think it'll come down to Toub, Harbaugh, Rivera, Frazier, and maybe Fewell.

I'm not optimistic that Frazier will be available, though - I don't see Childress lasting the season, and promoting Frazier to head coach just makes too much sense for Minnesota not to do it. I'd love to get Harbaugh, but he's probably going to have a chance to go somewhere like Buffalo or San Francisco, where he could pick high enough to draft Andrew Luck. Every head coach wants to bring in his own guy at QB; I think Harbaugh might want to go to a team that has a shot at Luck.

Still, I'd be happy with Toub or Rivera or Fewell running things. Any of those guys would do a great job.

Just a point on Cowher. I may be wrong but don't think so.

No HC has won a Superbowl with 2 different teams.

Nope, but a few have led different teams to Super Bowls, just none have won it with both teams. Parcells, Holmgren, Vermeil, Shula, and Reeves have all led multiple teams to a Super Bowl.

Also, I believe I saw Gruden mentioned somewhere.

I would be all for giving Toub a shot at the head coach. I just want to get rid of Angelo and hell even Philips at this point. They are both a waste of space in my view.

Yeah, Phillips has to go. He's the one responsible for letting Angelo keep his job, even after it was clear that he was creating a huge vacuum of talent all over the roster. But he just let Jerry keep right on screwing up the draft every year, getting rid of good players, and pulling fat guys off the street to play o-line.

I think the next team president has to have a football background. It can't be somebody like Phillips, who has to use a search firm to tell him which GM to hire. If you can't tell which guys are doing a good job at their current teams, how are you supposed to know when the guy you hired is doing a bad job for you?

Interesting read. I said last year I wouldn't mind seeing him as head coach.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan/28...mully10.article

Peace :dabears

if cowher is a no go I'd like to see rivera given the job and if singletary loses the san fran job maybe rivera can lure him to chitown as the d coordinator spot restore the hunger in this team and the mean attitude to the defense

Ron Rivera? Too many bridges burnt.

Dave Toub? Eh.

Singletary? What has he done so far?

Cowher? I'd like it, but I doubt the organization ponies up 11-13 million per year for him. Side note: I doubt he goes to Carolina. Despite that being his home, that team sucks.

Frazier? Sure, but I think he takes over for Clueless after the season.

Harbaugh? If he's anything like his brother- yes, please.

I like Toub as a special teams guy, but I think the biggest question on his success as a head coach would be who he brought in as OC, DC. I am not aware of Toub's philosophies on O or D so I do not know who would be on his list for these positions. Can anybody help with this?

That's a really interesting question. He's never even been a position coach on O or D in the NFL...he went straight from college D-line coach to the Eagle's special teams/QC coach to Chicago's special teams coordinator. I'd be really interested to know what schemes he'd want to install and what coordinators he'd want to bring in. I'd guess that he'd at least look at some other Philly guys for OC or DC, but I really don't know. Can anybody shine some light on that?