Free agency-who?

Stinger226

The draft got us 2 really good players, the last 3 are a head scatcher.

My suggestions for FA's.

There is rumors of going after Cullen Jenkins, of which we will spend alot for. a good move

Also I think we will go after a OG of which we wont spend alot on, so I am throwing in the name Duece Lutui. big guy and mean.

Also Richard Mashall/CB/from carolina- didnt get a long term extention, and with being friends with Peppers, maybe we get him here. Wont be expensive

Davin Joseph, OG, Tampa Bay Bucs: He was great last year until he broke his foot. Maybe he'll come cheaper than he would if he had played the whole season. Great pass blocker, good run blocker.

Richard Marshall, CB, Carolina: Yeah, you stole this idea from me. He's good against the run and decent against the pass. Still, either is an upgrade over Tim Jennings.

The draft got us 2 really good players, the last 3 are a head scatcher.

My suggestions for FA's.

There is rumors of going after Cullen Jenkins, of which we will spend alot for. a good move

Also I think we will go after a OG of which we wont spend alot on, so I am throwing in the name Duece Lutui. big guy and mean.

Also Richard Mashall/CB/from carolina- didnt get a long term extention, and with being friends with Peppers, maybe we get him here. Wont be expensive

I'd be all right with adding Jenkins, but only if his contract is pretty cheap/incentive-based. He's been injured constantly the last few years, so the Bears need to limit their risk as much as possible with him. From 2008-2010, he started 29 games out of a possible 53 (including the post-season.) When he's healthy, though, he'd be the most disruptive DT on our roster, and a great guy for Paea to learn from.

Lutui I don't know about. Arizona's whole o-line was awful last year, and I'd be worried about adding a guy who was a part of that. I'd much rather look at a guy from a successful line, like Baltimore or Atlanta had. I'd rather have Marshal Yanda from Baltimore or Justin Blalock from Atlanta. Davin Joseph from Tampa, too, provided that his foot checks out OK.

Richard Marshall would be a great pickup. He's perfect for a Tampa 2 (good in zone coverage, one of the better tackling CBs in the league) and has wanted out of Carolina for a while. He could step right in at RCB across from Tillman, which would give us really solid depth, with Jennings and Bowman as pure backups. Plus, he's only 26, so he could take over for Tillman down the road.

Also, the Bears desperately need to find some receiver help in FA. Even if Sidney Rice ends up a restricted free agent, Minnesota only tendered him at the 1st-round level. I'd be more than happy to give up next year's 1st for Rice, provided that his hip checks out OK. Taking a WR in the 2011 draft isn't going to make the same immediate impact that signing Rice will. Plus, he's at least as talented as Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd, and he's still just 24 years old, only 2 or 3 years older than the WRs coming out in next year's draft. So giving up a 1st to sign him isn't mortgaging the future necessarily, and it would get us a go-to WR starting from Day 1.

After this draft, they have to at least target depth at the WR spot. That might be available via trade or FA, don't know.

I wouldn't give up next year's first round pick for a player with Sidney Rice's injury history, but I would give up a 2nd round pick for it.

the only reason I seleted Lutui was he is coming from a shithole, he didnt play well last year but had an excelent year the year before. There were better choices coming from good teams which mean a bidding war with his team to get them. Lutui will come cheaper.

I agree we need a WR and we have several choices to go after. I dont think were going to lay big money. So less expensive wideouts like Floyd/sd, Jones/gb, or Jones/Hou.

I think we sign one fairly good contract and several less expensive.

My guess at what the Bears actually end up doing:

-Malcolm Floyd, WR - They want a big WR, but won't pay to get Rice.

-Marshal Yanda, OG - Versatile guard who can also play tackle.

-Quincy Black, LB - The Bears loved him coming out of college and should be able to get him now.

-Derek Landri, DT - Good fit as a rotational tackle in the Bears' scheme.

Then bring back Iwuh, Kreutz, Adams, and Maynard.

I'd like another CB, but unfortunately with Tillman, Jennings, Bowman, and the two Moore, I doubt the Bears think they need another one.

Lutui is not mean but he is a scrapper in the trenches. I'll do a little homework on what he's up to this offseason via some family connections. Last offseason in his little contract dispute he didn't work out very hard and showed up out of shape. If he's in shape he's a decent player but some of those other FA OGs are better at pass protection IMO and therefore are better fits for our offense.

Another guard to think about: Evan Mathis from Cincinnati. Their whole o-line has done really well the past two seasons, and Mathis is a starting-caliber guard if he's healthy. He's a very good run-blocker and could fit in nicely on the right side. He'd be a short-term solution (he's 29) but he should be available on the cheap compared to some of the other guards out there, which would free up more money to throw at a difference-making WR.

Also, Balta, I'm with you if we're talking about trades: I'd much rather trade a 2nd for a WR than give up a 1st for a restricted FA. If we trade for an impact receiver, it'd probably have to be Vincent Jackson, who I still think the Chargers might be willing to move. It sounds like the Vikings are going to be working hard to re-sign Rice, so I think the Bears' only shot at him would be outbidding Minnesota and surrendering the 1st-rounder that comes with his RFA tag.

I posted a thread about him months ago: Mike Sims Walker.

Just saying..

He seems to be exactly the type of tier 2 FA the Bears would target aggressively on day one of FA. I think it's clear we're not spending big $$ this offseason on one player. Expect the $$ to be spread around among several solid players to help fill positions of need.

He seems to be exactly the type of tier 2 FA the Bears would target aggressively on day one of FA. I think it's clear we're not spending big $$ this offseason on one player. Expect the $$ to be spread around among several solid players to help fill positions of need.

Do y'all really think the Bears have "Multiple positions of need" at least compared to last offseason?

If the Bears targeted a top tier WR and some depth at CF and G, they'd be in really good shape. They need, IMO, 1 starting caliber player.

Do y'all really think the Bears have "Multiple positions of need" at least compared to last offseason?

If the Bears targeted a top tier WR and some depth at CF and G, they'd be in really good shape. They need, IMO, 1 starting caliber player.

I don't think the Bears have multiple positions of need, because I still think the clamoring for a WR is unwarranted. The main reason the WRs weren't standouts was the absolute failure of the OL. The bad OL play resulted in Cutler being harassed, hurt, jumpy, and eventually injured. That created a situation where the full compliment of offensive plays wasn't in use. That meant many of the routes that would benefit the Bears' offensive talent couldn't be used.

Grabbing a mid-tier FA WR won't do much to help any of the above. Doesn't matter how tall he is. Making sure Cutler stays upright and Martz can implement a full offensive plan does matter.

Which is why if they add a mid-tier G, C, and WR, they'll be OK.

Garza is better than he played last season. Once he got back in the lineup, the OL was better than when he wasn't. He's a mid-tier OG. If Carimi can be solid + the addition of another solid OL, the Bears should have no problem getting back to the playoffs.

BTW, while I agree that Sims-Walker wouldn't be a HUGE acquisition, it would give Knox a kick in the a**. Last year, he digressed if you ask me. He never goes up for a jump ball (would it even matter? he's 5'9".) He drops too many passes also.

Well, I think they have multiple positions of need, but it's really just two positions. I think you're right that they need a top tier starting WR to compete in this division. If they could swing a trade for Vincent Jackson, they'd have a WR corps to rival the rest of the NFC North:

Detroit: Calvin Johnson, Nate Burleson, Titus Young

Green Bay: Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson

Minnesota: Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian

Chicago: Vincent Jackson, Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett (and a package of plays for Devin Hester)

...at that point, I'd take our WRs over anybody else's in the division. Given how much the rest of the division has stepped up their passing game, it's going to be hard for Chicago to compete offensively without a top-tier wideout.

At C/G, maybe they could get by with just a depth player, but I think ideally they'd find a new starter on the interior line. Garza's return made the line better because of just how bad our options were at that point, but it's not like he's an above-average player any more. It wouldn't be a travesty to go forward with him as the starter for one more year, but I'd MUCH rather acquire a good young guard who can push him into a backup role. That way we upgrade the interior line, and if someone gets hurt, we have a decent vet for depth.

BTW, while I agree that Sims-Walker wouldn't be a HUGE acquisition, it would give Knox a kick in the a**. Last year, he digressed if you ask me. He never goes up for a jump ball (would it even matter? he's 5'9".) He drops too many passes also.

I just don't get the Sims-Walker hype. He's tall, sure, but he's had every opportunity to lock down a starting job in Jacksonville and he hasn't stepped up. They're desperate for a #1 receiver and they didn't even bother giving him an RFA tender. They could re-sign him for very little, but they're letting him walk for nothing; that should tell you how valuable he is. Here's a Jags team insider on Sims-Walker:

"He can't beat press coverage off the line of scrimmage and he also whines if they don't throw to him even if they win. He doesn't want to take the blame when he doesn't make a catch and he has a bad knee. ...he had 18 of his catches in two blowouts, 10 in a loss to San Diego and eight in a win over Dallas. In no other game did he have more than four."

I don't see what he'd bring to the table. He's a possession-type receiver in terms of speed/explosiveness, but he's not nearly reliable enough to take that role. He caught less than 54% of his passes in 2010, just 2% percent better than Knox, who at least offers a big-play threat. On top of that, he's extremely injury-prone and apparently has an attitude problem. I don't see why we'd bring him in just to motivate Knox. I'd rather bring in somebody who can push Knox into the #2 role. That fits him better anyway: he's an ideal complement as a deep threat, not a go-to receiver.

Well, I think they have multiple positions of need, but it's really just two positions. I think you're right that they need a top tier starting WR to compete in this division. If they could swing a trade for Vincent Jackson, they'd have a WR corps to rival the rest of the NFC North:

Chicago: Vincent Jackson, Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett (and a package of plays for Devin Hester)

...at that point, I'd take our WRs over anybody else's in the division. Given how much the rest of the division has stepped up their passing game, it's going to be hard for Chicago to compete offensively without a top-tier wideout.

At C/G, maybe they could get by with just a depth player, but I think ideally they'd find a new starter on the interior line. Garza's return made the line better because of just how bad our options were at that point, but it's not like he's an above-average player any more. It wouldn't be a travesty to go forward with him as the starter for one more year, but I'd MUCH rather acquire a good young guard who can push him into a backup role. That way we upgrade the interior line, and if someone gets hurt, we have a decent vet for depth.

I still wonder if they are not going to bid adieu to Kruetz and plug either Garza or Edwin Williams in at center. My feelings on Kreutz are well known but there have been a few rumors that the Bears may try to move Chris Williams one more time to center which is absolutely insane but, they did think Todd Collins was better than Hanie when we all saw differently.

I think (hope) the Williams to Center talk was more smoke screen before the draft. If that's the real plan for a guy who has never played there before then we're in real trouble. We'd be far better off just saying he'll compete for a starting or backup role at OT. As a backup OT he'd be a bust as a former first round pick but I think our Oline would be better off than with him at center, or even backup center.

I just don't get the Sims-Walker hype. He's tall, sure, but he's had every opportunity to lock down a starting job in Jacksonville and he hasn't stepped up. They're desperate for a #1 receiver and they didn't even bother giving him an RFA tender. They could re-sign him for very little, but they're letting him walk for nothing; that should tell you how valuable he is. Here's a Jags team insider on Sims-Walker:

I don't see what he'd bring to the table. He's a possession-type receiver in terms of speed/explosiveness, but he's not nearly reliable enough to take that role. He caught less than 54% of his passes in 2010, just 2% percent better than Knox, who at least offers a big-play threat. On top of that, he's extremely injury-prone and apparently has an attitude problem. I don't see why we'd bring him in just to motivate Knox. I'd rather bring in somebody who can push Knox into the #2 role. That fits him better anyway: he's an ideal complement as a deep threat, not a go-to receiver.

Great points.

I agree. I would rather beat myself senseless with my own fist then watch Sims Walker on the Bears. That guy is trash.

That is such a bogus line of reasoning. In fact, it's not even reasoning. It's comparison. That's it. If the Bears needed a top tier starting WR to compete in this division, wouldn't they have done worse that winning the division? Not to mention going 5-1 within the division.

You shall not covet your rival's WR. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor's stadium or location, his offensive or defensive coordinator, his center or defensive back, or anything that belongs to your rival.

Would having Vincent Jackson make the Bears better? No doubt.

Is he a need to compete in the division? Unequivocally no.

Are the Bears lacking a WR who can put up #1 WR stats? Up for debate...and until Cutler gets more than a second or two of uninterrupted time in the pocket, we might never know.

That is such a bogus line of reasoning. In fact, it's not even reasoning. It's comparison. That's it. If the Bears needed a top tier starting WR to compete in this division, wouldn't they have done worse that winning the division? Not to mention going 5-1 within the division.

You shall not covet your rival's WR. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor's stadium or location, his offensive or defensive coordinator, his center or defensive back, or anything that belongs to your rival.

Are the Bears lacking a WR who can put up #1 WR stats? Up for debate...and until Cutler gets more than a second or two of uninterrupted time in the pocket, we might never know.

lol, using that reasoning, we can then say the Bears need no improvements to compete in the division since they won the division and got to the championship game.

lol, using that reasoning, we can then say the Bears need no improvements to compete in the division since they won the division and got to the championship game.

That's kind of my point, but your logic fails. You think you're using it against me, but you're not.

What my point is, comparing your team to another, or pieces/players to another, is not a legit way to evaluate your own team. Saying, "The other teams have great WRs!" is not a valid way to analyze what the Bears have on their roster, nor is it a proper method to determine what strengths and weaknesses are. And given the parity in the league, simply looking at a team's record or divisional record is not a very bright way to determine what the team's needs are.

The original comment was about "competing in the division." Given that the Bears won the division and only had one divisional loss, it makes the reasoning (i.e. gotta have the prototypical #1 WR to compete in the division) illogical.

Hey, anything that get V-Jack here would be great! ;)