Projection: Bears to be well under cap floor?

balta1701-A

Y'all might enjoy this look at where the NFC North will be if there is a ~$120 million cap.

Chicago Bears

Cap status: About $37 million under

Comment: If anything, the Bears will have to spend significantly in order to exceed the cap "floor," or the minimum expenditure required. Regardless, all indications have been that the Bears are prepared to be active in free agency. At least one starting-caliber offensive lineman should be on their shopping list.

so let me get this right, the in CBA will make the Bears spend a certain amount in cap space and we are 37 million under the cap. This sounds like a huge win for Bears fans. Hopefully I am right with what I have read!

McCaskey's are now going to be forced to spend their money!!!! 37 million is a whole lotta money! Should have to pick up some good players!

so let me get this right, the in CBA will make the Bears spend a certain amount in cap space and we are 37 million under the cap. This sounds like a huge win for Bears fans. Hopefully I am right with what I have read!

McCaskey's are now going to be forced to spend their money!!!! 37 million is a whole lotta money! Should have to pick up some good players!

You're correct. Every team must reach the cap floor at the least (hence- "floor). So yes, the Bears have spending to do.

I hope they start with re-signing Kreutz, getting a few nice players from other teams, keeping Rod Wilson, and eventually giving Forte an extension. Forte is probably, IMO, the best underrated player in football.

If he played for the Patriots, Giants, or Jets, there would be handjobs all around courtesy of the media.

You're correct. Every team must reach the cap floor at the least (hence- "floor). So yes, the Bears have spending to do.

I hope they start with re-signing Kreutz, getting a few nice players from other teams, keeping Rod Wilson, and eventually giving Forte an extension. Forte is probably, IMO, the best underrated player in football.

If he played for the Patriots, Giants, or Jets, there would be handjobs all around courtesy of the media.

With the new news about the CBA coming out is there a list of possible free agents for this year once the deal is signed?

I cant wait to see that list

haha, Its great that they will be forced to spend cash.

Everyone is talking like the Bears have been pinching the pennies. That might have been the case years ago but just look at what we have done the past few years. I think the Bears should have shaken that "tightwad" perception, they certainly have ponied up a whole lot of money the past two years!

I think this will be the third year in a row that we outbid a few teams for some additional key players. Like everyone, OL is my first concern, and oh how I would love to take Jenkins from the Packers and Rice away from Minny.

Give me A mauler OLman, Jenkins and Rice, and I will sit back and enjoy the fun!

Here's hoping you're right on those 3 needs!

Everyone is talking like the Bears have been pinching the pennies. That might have been the case years ago but just look at what we have done the past few years. I think the Bears should have shaken that "tightwad" perception, they certainly have ponied up a whole lot of money the past two years!

I think this will be the third year in a row that we outbid a few teams for some additional key players. Like everyone, OL is my first concern, and oh how I would love to take Jenkins from the Packers and Rice away from Minny.

Give me A mauler OLman, Jenkins and Rice, and I will sit back and enjoy the fun!

Agreed. More importantly, you've got to give JA a ton of credit for repeatedly being able to to be in a position to "buy." Especially when you consider the past two years we've added Cutler & Peppers, while not losing our own guys we were interested in keeping.

Agreed. More importantly, you've got to give JA a ton of credit for repeatedly being able to to be in a position to "buy." Especially when you consider the past two years we've added Cutler & Peppers, while not losing our own guys we were interested in keeping.

And like I've mentioned, look for more of the same. In the end, Forte, Harris, Adams, and Roach will all be getting extensions soon.

Definitely worth noting that you don't ahve to be across the cap floor on day 1 of the new CBA, you have to get there by some point during the seaosn

Think I heard on one of the podcasts that it's not till the last day of the season

Roach needs a contract before he gets and extension.

You could say the same for everyone I mentioned except Forte. However, the other 3 will all likely get one, and if they do soon after this lockout is over, I'll consider it an extension because they would've never stepped on the field in any other jersey but Chicago's.