Bears sign former Seahawks C Chris Spencer

balta1701-A

Yes, 2 year deal with option to keep him for longtime, Young , Mauler, Smart, Good replacement and definate upgrade over Olin in his current state. Could not be happier.

Agreed and as a fan of Olin when he was good it is sad that he had to be shown the door without asking the team to show it to him in a more dignified way.

This is tough. I love Olin and will always appreciate what he did, but at the same time, I know he has been declining over the years. But you are losing the leader of the offensive line.

My hope is Spencer can come in and lead this line early, but given the relative inexperience across the line, it was nice knowing you had a true vet who knew the system, etc, like Olin.

On the flipside, Spencer is younger, more athletic, and brings nice size to the oline. He has had some injury problems though. Yet another former 1st rounder the Bears are bringing in.

This is tough. I love Olin and will always appreciate what he did, but at the same time, I know he has been declining over the years. But you are losing the leader of the offensive line.

My hope is Spencer can come in and lead this line early, but given the relative inexperience across the line, it was nice knowing you had a true vet who knew the system, etc, like Olin.

On the flipside, Spencer is younger, more athletic, and brings nice size to the oline. He has had some injury problems though. Yet another former 1st rounder the Bears are bringing in.

Let Tice work with him. I'm gonna hope the Oline with show improvement from last year not that they could be any worse, and that it doesn't take 4 reguar season games to shake out.

As much as I hate to say it, as I loved Olin, leadership qualities is nice, but when you make the highlight films not because of your good play but highlight reels of you being knocked on your ass while Cutler gets sacked, well, like I said, leadership is one thing, but without being able to do your job it is not good enough.

BradBiggs

2 minutes ago

#Bears agree to terms with Chris Spencer on 2-yr deal.

hmmm... the seahawks think max unger is a better option at center than spencer? yea, me too.

too bad jerry angelo didn't just draft max unger like he SHOULD have in 2009 in the 2nd round instead of *trading out for the all amazing 3rd round pick jarron gilbert (where is he now again? oh, that's right, we already CUT him) and 4th round pick henry melton who can't beat out idonije.

seems we would have a pretty good center for the next 10 years.

*the seahawks drafted max unger with OUR pick.

On second thought, are we sure Olin is gone? Has it been confirmed? Did we sign spencer as a backup/heir apparent for the future?

Lovie has made a couple comments on Olin being gone. Originally, I wondered if Spencer was more of a backup move or potential guard move (as he has played there in the past). But management talked about Olin being gone and multiple players have been tweeting the same.

$4M was a lot of money the Bears offered up for him, given what the typical center in the NFL gets paid (its under 2M/year, let alone 4M). My guess is Kreutz might end up retiring/taking significantly less money (2.5 to 3.5M) than the Bears offered.

On second thought, are we sure Olin is gone? Has it been confirmed? Did we sign spencer as a backup/heir apparent for the future?

Lovie sid today that the team has moved on from Olin. And I don't ee themgiving him more that they aready offered. He was a good Bear, but time to look ahead.

Lovie sid today that the team has moved on from Olin. And I don't ee themgiving him more that they aready offered. He was a good Bear, but time to look ahead.

At this point, there's no reason for the Bears to offer him what they already offered him. A typical $2 million veteran center deal would be judged by Kreutz as an insult.

At this point, there's no reason for the Bears to offer him what they already offered him. A typical $2 million veteran center deal would be judged by Kreutz as an insult.

I would say they probably paid Spencer for two years what Olin wanted for this year.

Very interesting. Immediately, I think this hurts because it seems like a lot of the players are pissed off. In the long run, Spencer could progress and be a good player. According to a few Seattle beat writers, Spencer is an average C.

It should be noted that on Marshawn Lynch's memorable run vs NO in the playoffs, Spencer threw 2 great blocks.

We have spencer and will bring along Linnerholm who is our center of the future, I would say we are set there for the next 8 years.

His name is Linnenkohl.

Very interesting. Immediately, I think this hurts because it seems like a lot of the players are pissed off. In the long run, Spencer could progress and be a good player. According to a few Seattle beat writers, Spencer is an average C.

It should be noted that on Marshawn Lynch's memorable run vs NO in the playoffs, Spencer threw 2 great blocks.

His name is Linnenkohl.

We went from below average at C to average. That's an upgrade and I'll gladly take it..