"Your boy Roy"

azbearsfan

good god....

I like Roy and think he does great work. With that being said, this is an isolated evaluation. For as tough as we are on our Bears...if there was ever a position that would struggle against our Cover-2 and nasty front 7, it would be the Center.

I do agree that Spencer replacing Kreutz is a lateral move at this point, but that isn't a necessarily a bad thing as Angelo was able to turn back the clock with this move. People are acting as if we've lost a lot in Olin and I disagree. He's one of my all-time favorite Bears, but he's been on the downside for three years now. Even his last season with Orton I felt his play below average. Maybe it just wasn't what I was accustomed to in seeing Olin, but he's been past his prime for a while now.

One thing Roy failed to touch on was Spencer is VERY comfortable snapping shotgun, which can't be downplayed with Martz's offense and Cutler's attributes. I recall Kreutz REFUSING to snap shotgun under Ron Turner, but warmed up to it through the years. However, Kreutz was down right deplorable in snapping shotgun.

This will also be the biggest offensive line we've seen in Chicago as Spencer is a big Center at 6'3'' and 310lbs (Kruetz was closer to 6'1'', 290lbs). Roy touched on Spencer not being able to block big NTs on his own, but what Center does? Remeber Kreutz against Pat Williams? Good Lord. Those massive NTs require double teams no matter who they play.

This post wasn't to degrade Kreutz and all that he's done for the Bears, but the Bears front office assessment regarding this decision was fair. I agree Spencer will have to earn the starting C spot, but he will.

So the Bears got rid of an old Kreutz and replaced him with a younger version of himself? Except that he can do shotgun. And that's bad or worse???

I have to totally agree with you Rockren (although not so sure about "your boy Roy"). Anyhow, considering he used film with Spencer against the Bears defense (which was rated #9 overall #2 against the run) I'm still not all that worried. Put any Center against that front seven and you will probably find similar results.

I do agree with "Roy" that things could go better after Tice gets ahold of him. Look what he's doing with a seventh round pick in Webb.

So the Bears got rid of an old Kreutz and replaced him with a younger version of himself? Except that he can do shotgun. And that's bad or worse???

Spencer is nowhere near what Kreutz USE to be. Kreutz was one of the best if not THEE best C in the game for a period of time.

I feel Spencer will be adequate. Nothing more.

Spencer is nowhere near what Kreutz USE to be. Kreutz was one of the best if not THEE best C in the game for a period of time.

I feel Spencer will be adequate. Nothing more.

Yeah, actually I meant as of right now. For example a currently old Kreutz (as opposed to younger) is the same as a younger version (of currently old Kreutz) of him now = Spencer.

Makes perfect sense right?

Yeah, actually I meant as of right now. For example a currently old Kreutz (as opposed to younger) is the same as a younger version (of currently old Kreutz) of him now = Spencer.

Makes perfect sense right?

You can make anybody look good or bad according to what tape you show. I think the 27th ranking he has a center is the true picture. He was ranked higher than Kruetz. Slight upgrade.

In the end we have a similar quality player at C but we saved $2mil to sign other quality players. That's a win in my book plus we get to add in that Spencer is younger and perhaps there is a chance Tice can get better play out of him. We've already seen the best Tice can get out of Kreutz.

If Roy wants to be fair take the same game and show Kreutz' good, bad, and ugly plays.