Will the Bears make the playoffs?

jason

Listening to M&M this morning, the conversation turned to which playoff teams from last year would not make it this year. With that blowhard sitting in for Golic it was one screamer and one pansy with Chicago roots talking about the issue.

Both agreed that Chicago will miss the playoffs.

Is it because everyone's drinking the Detroit koolaid? Is it because they always overvalue Minnesota? Is it because of the slobbering BJ the media seems to give Green Bay? Or is it simply another notch in the long belt of disrespect the national media seems to have for Chicago sports?

Personally, I think it's a little of all of the above, and the fact, FACT, that most media members aren't really paying attention to Bears' games and moves, reading the box scores instead. Considering how they Bears played last year, and the defensive line additions that were made, not to mention the narrow loss to the eventual SB champions in the NFC Championship game, I just don't see how the Bears don't at least challenge for the division and make the wild card. Anything less would be a huge disappointment.

Listening to M&M this morning, the conversation turned to which playoff teams from last year would not make it this year. With that blowhard sitting in for Golic it was one screamer and one pansy with Chicago roots talking about the issue.

Is it because everyone's drinking the Detroit koolaid? Is it because they always overvalue Minnesota? Is it because of the slobbering BJ the media seems to give Green Bay? Or is it simply another notch in the long belt of disrespect the national media seems to have for Chicago sports?

Personally, I think it's a little of all of the above, and the fact, FACT, that most media members aren't really paying attention to Bears' games and moves, reading the box scores instead. Considering how they Bears played last year, and the defensive line additions that were made, not to mention the narrow loss to the eventual SB champions in the NFC Championship game, I just don't see how the Bears don't at least challenge for the division and make the wild card. Anything less would be a huge disappointment.

I am used this by now. Bunch of jive turkeys. Preseason dip shits.

I think there are a number of things. Anyone picking against the Packers right now would be laughed at. I think Everyone(media) wants to see Lions FINALLY turn it around. Everyone wants to be able to say I told you they would and it makes for a great story. Everyone loves a new story. The Bears and Lovie are not the new and shiny toy, they are the group that has been around for a while and have shown flashes of greatness and crap. Vikes will get mentioned because they have AP, and now that they have McNabb they have a shot. But i agree with the way the Bears played the Packers in all 3 games last year there is no reason we are should not be picked to make a run at it. The O is going into their 2 year in the same system which should be huge for the WR and Cutler. I think Williams will surprise some people, he is now in a contract year if he wants to get paid this will be his last shot for a big contract. I also think if the Bears had done more with the Oline we may be getting more respect.

I think there are a number of things. Anyone picking against the Packers right now would be laughed at. I think Everyone(media) wants to see Lions FINALLY turn it around. Everyone wants to be able to say I told you they would and it makes for a great story. Everyone loves a new story. The Bears and Lovie are not the new and shiny toy, they are the group that has been around for a while and have shown flashes of greatness and crap. Vikes will get mentioned because they have AP, and now that they have McNabb they have a shot. But i agree with the way the Bears played the Packers in all 3 games last year there is no reason we are should not be picked to make a run at it. The O is going into their 2 year in the same system which should be huge for the WR and Cutler. I think Williams will surprise some people, he is now in a contract year if he wants to get paid this will be his last shot for a big contract. I also think if the Bears had done more with the Oline we may be getting more respect.

Your right about the media and the shiny new toy. What fun would it be to pick the same team as everyone else so people are always looking for that darkhorse team. Just look at how long the media has been preaching about Houston but they are yet to even make the playoffs. Every seems to think that Detroit will finally turn that corner and take the NFL by surprise. Everyone is looking out for them because they have made some great moves the past couple of years but until Stafford can prove to get through a Bears game let alone an entire 16 game schedule I am not convinced. They will only go as far as Stafford takes them, no on else matters more than him.

Agreed...all of the above. Could also be that they fear our OL as much as we do!

Simply, anything short of getting deep into the playoffs is a failure for this season.

I put Detroit in the same category as SF and Houston. Each year they were both expected to make playoff runs but all 3 have had issues at QB whether it is health-wise or performance.With the news of LeShore being out for the season, Fairley having a surgical procedure on his foot and Stafford's injury history,I wouldn't be so quick to jump on their band wagon.

As far as the national media's perception of the Bears until they can put back to back seasons together there will always be that skepticism.There is some of that same feeling on this board about this team and its staff.

I put Detroit in the same category as SF and Houston. Each year they were both expected to make playoff runs but all 3 have had issues at QB whether it is health-wise or performance.With the news of LeShore being out for the season, Fairley having a surgical procedure on his foot and Stafford's injury history,I wouldn't be so quick to jump on their band wagon.

As far as the national media's perception of the Bears until they can put back to back seasons together there will always be that skepticism.There is some of that same feeling on this board about this team and its staff.

Even if the Bears put back to back seasons together, they're not a sexy pick and they're not likely to be one any time soon. They're not adding the high flying free agents, that's not their style. They're not adding the type of players who never stop running their mouths off, where you have no choice but to cover them. They don't currently have a top of the league QB. They have an incredibly resilient, deep, and strong defense, and big time special teams, which combined with enough offense has been a formula for a good but not incredible team for over 5 years now.

No one's going to pick the Bears even if they come out and win the Super Bowl unless Cutler throws for 45 touchdowns in the process and then spends the offseason talking up a s***storm. That's the kind of stuff that makes a team a sexy national pick, big numbers, big amazing things, not good, hard football.

Most had us coming in last in our division or possibly edging out Detroit for 3rd. Most penciled in Minnesota to win the division, and some even had them going to the SB, shows how much you can place on these experts opinions.

Even if the Bears put back to back seasons together, they're not a sexy pick and they're not likely to be one any time soon. They're not adding the high flying free agents, that's not their style. They're not adding the type of players who never stop running their mouths off, where you have no choice but to cover them. They don't currently have a top of the league QB. They have an incredibly resilient, deep, and strong defense, and big time special teams, which combined with enough offense has been a formula for a good but not incredible team for over 5 years now.

No one's going to pick the Bears even if they come out and win the Super Bowl unless Cutler throws for 45 touchdowns in the process and then spends the offseason talking up a s***storm. That's the kind of stuff that makes a team a sexy national pick, big numbers, big amazing things, not good, hard football.

What do you mean by a top of the league QB? I can certainly make an argument that he's a top 10 QB.

The beauty of the NFC is that one division is super week (West) and will likely be won by a .500 team therefore the second place team has zero shot at a wide card. The East and South will do a decent job of cannibalizing themselves will home-home victories, and we always can count on Detroit for a few easy wins. IMHO, 10-6 should get us in if we can win a few tie breakers in the south in the first two weeks.

I just looked at our schedule again and I can definitely see us going into the bye with a 6-1 record with the lone loss being the Saints home opener(extra time to prepare after getting whooped by GB on Thursday).

What do you mean by a top of the league QB? I can certainly make an argument that he's a top 10 QB.

He's not going to have his name come up regularly in debates about who's the league's best QB. I'm not going to disagree on him being top 10 and being a guy you can win with, but in the media world, he's not on the same page as Brees, P. Manning, Brady, and now Rogers.

Prety much the case I agree...

For some reason, the media does not want to chower any love on the Bears. Most of the time, it's warranted...but I think Cutler would have to prefrom at a Joe Montana like level and the team needs to trounce their SB opponent more than the 85 Bears to garnish any real press.

The thing you have to realize is that I believe they were operating under the assumption that 5 teams who made the postseason last year wouldn't this year (since that has been the disturbing trend in the NFL). If you had to pick 5 teams who made the playoffs last year and wouldn't this year, you would be crazy if you DIDN'T pick the Bears, given their O-line troubles, Cutler's occasional struggles, and the fact that they were seen by many as a big of a fluke in several games last year (see Detroit).

He's not going to have his name come up regularly in debates about who's the league's best QB. I'm not going to disagree on him being top 10 and being a guy you can win with, but in the media world, he's not on the same page as Brees, P. Manning, Brady, and now Rogers.

I hear you now. So you meant top 5?

I'd be interested to see their projections for last year....I'm sure it wasn't making the NFC championship game.

In the 2006 NFC title game, not one of the 8 analysts on ESPN at the time picked the Bears.

The thing you have to realize is that I believe they were operating under the assumption that 5 teams who made the postseason last year wouldn't this year (since that has been the disturbing trend in the NFL). If you had to pick 5 teams who made the playoffs last year and wouldn't this year, you would be crazy if you DIDN'T pick the Bears, given their O-line troubles, Cutler's occasional struggles, and the fact that they were seen by many as a big of a fluke in several games last year (see Detroit).

I can't see anyone picking 5 teams who won't make the playoffs this year for the 2nd straight year. That's a little absurd. I'd be willing to bet the playoffs this year will have all but 1 or 2 teams as last year's playoffs had.

Jets, Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs, Falcons, and the Saints are probably all givens, and you could include Indianapolis.

Absolutely agree with you Jason. I heard part of this as well on M&M and on Cowherd this morning and I feel the media thinks every Chicago team is run like the Cubs.....lousy with fans who are aloof. They love hating on Chicago for some reason. Yes, Green Gay had a great season especially with all the injuries with still making it to the SB and winning. Bears Beat themselves in just about every loss that I can remember last year (my memory not that good). In my opinion the most disappointing game from last season was when the bears lost 7-6 to GB;having a chance to knock them out and failed.

I think this Bear team will be much better than last years team for several reason while I do not think GB did much to improve their team from last year. Fisrt another year in the MArtz system, hope to see much better execution fom the "O" and feel the WR and RB additions will help greatly. NEw Punter who can directional kick and boom it will help ST. By virtue of the TE's that are now on this team we should see more max protect and a better power run game which will benefit Jay while help keep him more up right than on his back this year. The OL will probably be better even though they did not make a significant OL addition other than Carimi.

I too want to see the LIONS "TURN IT AROUND" against GB and MIN........ They are a perennial door mat of the NFC and would appreciate if they could at least win 4 games.