Roy Williams situation

Alaskan Grizzly

Your initial thoughts of him being a POS may come to fruition. I hope you're wrong!

Lets all let this play out for a while. Roy Williams,who is atool like most so called #1 WR are has been saying all the right things and has shown that he can be a veteran leader for this group of young WRs. You can forget about Hester saying anything for the rest of the Summer now and Knox has a chip on his shoulder so he is focused on personal gain and the next time Bennett speaks will be a rare occassion, so one has to take the leadership role and he has done that. The fact that he is not in what could be considered Bears shape may be because he was not aware of just what Lovie and staff require. Say what you will about Lovie and staff but,they do demand that guys report in shape. Williams was with another organization for the past 3 years and its obvious they don't put a big premium on conditioning like the Bears do. Look how that team that was expected to contend started and got beat in their gorgeous stadium by the Bears. For all the experts that say the Bears were lucky healthwise, things like seeing them hold out Harrison because he didn't report to came at his prescribed weight and now making Bowman sit out practice even though he insist that he is fine is a testament to their anal approach to conditioning. A lot of the veteran players the Bears have let go you have heard rumors about their work ethic, with Tommie Harris being the most recent.

I follow...but Barber and Hurd are from the same place and aren't in the same boat. The simple fact that RW isn't in shape is concerning. Not a worry. But a concern. It speaks more to his preparation etc... He could very well be "in shape" by the time real games are played. But given that Jerry Rice never had such issues means to me that my expectations of Mr. Williams has been significantly lowered. Even TO comes conditioned. I like what he's said and all that...but we all know talk is cheap. I want results. We'll have to put a pin in that until we see some games. But color me now concerned...

Lets all let this play out for a while. Roy Williams,who is atool like most so called #1 WR are has been saying all the right things and has shown that he can be a veteran leader for this group of young WRs. You can forget about Hester saying anything for the rest of the Summer now and Knox has a chip on his shoulder so he is focused on personal gain and the next time Bennett speaks will be a rare occassion, so one has to take the leadership role and he has done that. The fact that he is not in what could be considered Bears shape may be because he was not aware of just what Lovie and staff require. Say what you will about Lovie and staff but,they do demand that guys report in shape. Williams was with another organization for the past 3 years and its obvious they don't put a big premium on conditioning like the Bears do. Look how that team that was expected to contend started and got beat in their gorgeous stadium by the Bears. For all the experts that say the Bears were lucky healthwise, things like seeing them hold out Harrison because he didn't report to came at his prescribed weight and now making Bowman sit out practice even though he insist that he is fine is a testament to their anal approach to conditioning. A lot of the veteran players the Bears have let go you have heard rumors about their work ethic, with Tommie Harris being the most recent.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/35/roy-williams

WTF Roy? Why should Jay have to be covering for you. C'mon man! I wanna believe you want to do well.

If you'd seen Roy Williams in real life you'd have to laugh at the notion of him not being shape. The dude is trim and cut. You take one look at him and you'll know he wasn't sitting on the couch eating Cheetos this off season. He's no Marcus Harrison.

The SCORE mentioned football shape. Maybe cardio? I'm not concerned.

Sam Hurd is an all around good guy.

So is Roy Williams. Problem is, he sucks at football and he thinks his s*** doesn't stink.

As for Marion Barber, he is seemingly from the Jay Cutler mold- he just doesn't like the spotlight and hates talking to the media.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that neither Barber or Hurd are a tool like Williams.

I follow...but Barber and Hurd are from the same place and aren't in the same boat. The simple fact that RW isn't in shape is concerning. Not a worry. But a concern. It speaks more to his preparation etc... He could very well be "in shape" by the time real games are played. But given that Jerry Rice never had such issues means to me that my expectations of Mr. Williams has been significantly lowered. Even TO comes conditioned. I like what he's said and all that...but we all know talk is cheap. I want results. We'll have to put a pin in that until we see some games. But color me now concerned...

Mad L Barber is out to prove his former team wrong and Hurd is a fringe special teamer. No matter how we look at it Roy Williams is a NFL diva type player of this decade that will never be on par with a Jerry Rice or a Michael Irvin or Chris Carter. What results did you expect to see from him in the first preseason game?Jerry Rice is a HOF WR and Williams will never measure up to those standards after being on his third team in such a short career so far.

Having played football in high school and college the statemets made by Roy Williams are true. There is a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape. I can be in shape by running four miles a dat and go to the gym to lift. But when you are playing a sport that you have to sprint, cut turn and all the things the guys do in camp and in the games......... its like night and day. For example you go to the gym and bench press 200lbs about five times ...no problem. Try to block and push and person of the same weight around five time and you will see how tired you will be...there is a big difference.

Having played football in high school and college the statemets made by Roy Williams are true. There is a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape. I can be in shape by running four miles a dat and go to the gym to lift. But when you are playing a sport that you have to sprint, cut turn and all the things the guys do in camp and in the games......... its like night and day. For example you go to the gym and bench press 200lbs about five times ...no problem. Try to block and push and person of the same weight around five time and you will see how tired you will be...there is a big difference.

I think the frustration, at least on my part is, that he he SHOULD be in football shape already...or at least as close as possible. Look at Cutler, look at Forte, look at the examples Mad Lith made in Barber and Hurd. THEY are ready. I can accept that Williams was on the Cowboys and maybe like was mentioned previous, Lovie's expectations and Martz' scheme demand more than he was accustomed in the big "D". If someone has as much experience in getting in shape as you mentioned and I am sure that Williams's has in his career, he shouldn't be waiting until after the first preseason game to realize that me may not be ready.

I am encouraged to hear Brad's perspective that he "looks in shape" which is great. That means less work to get in "football shape". Like my original post, I want for him to do well in Chicago...I really do. I realize he may be a turd but right now he's OUR turd.

I'm fairly ignorant about other teams players compared to some of you.

So has Roy been an actual discipline problem or just an underachiever vs. expectations thus far. I'm looking at that picture and thinking I'd trust him babysitting my kids, lol (if I had any).

I'm fairly ignorant about other teams players compared to some of you.

So has Roy been an actual discipline problem or just an underachiever vs. expectations thus far. I'm looking at that picture and thinking I'd trust him babysitting my kids, lol (if I had any).

It is all about how he performs when the real season starts, I am not that bothered about slight indications of being out of shape, it is not like coaches have said anything. Let's give him a shot, he might just be a huge difference maker...if not, one year and gone?

I think the frustration, at least on my part is, that he he SHOULD be in football shape already...or at least as close as possible. Look at Cutler, look at Forte, look at the examples Mad Lith made in Barber and Hurd. THEY are ready. I can accept that Williams was on the Cowboys and maybe like was mentioned previous, Lovie's expectations and Martz' scheme demand more than he was accustomed in the big "D". If someone has as much experience in getting in shape as you mentioned and I am sure that Williams's has in his career, he shouldn't be waiting until after the first preseason game to realize that me may not be ready.

I am encouraged to hear Brad's perspective that he "looks in shape" which is great. That means less work to get in "football shape". Like my original post, I want for him to do well in Chicago...I really do. I realize he may be a turd but right now he's OUR turd.

Exactly. Some time during the offseason I posted a few videos showing Forte running up a brutal hill during training. Olsen was alongside and working hard. But it was VERY apparent that Forte was in great shape already, and his appearance in camp displays that. Same for Knox; he added 20 pounds of muscle supposedly. He looks bigger. There is no excuse for these multi-million dollar athletes to be in anything other than football shape when preseason rolls around. There are a wealth of resources available to anyone wishing to get into football shape. It's up to the players to exploit those resources.

Link

So far, it's premature to say there is a Cutler-to-Williams chemistry issue.

"Jay is very comfortable with Roy and Roy obviously is getting back into the groove of what we do," Martz said.

Williams said they are 60 percent of the way there.

But it's not too early to wonder when they are going to hit it off. He's the big receiver — 6 feet 3, 215 pounds — Cutler has pined for but the connection isn't there yet.

"It varies," Williams said. "Hopefully, it will be there by Week 1."

At Thursday night's practice, Williams made a big catch on a "dagger" route for about a 20-yard gain. Later, on a route across the middle he bobbled a ball for five yards before dropping it.

Much has been made of Williams allegedly not being in shape, and Cutler made a reference to it himself.

Consider Williams couldn't begin practicing until Aug. 4 and we're just now past two weeks of them practicing together with a handful of off days sprinkled in.

"He's coming along, he's getting back into shape, taking more and more plays every day," Cutler said. "You can see more glimpses of Roy Williams each and every day on film. Hopefully by Monday (exhibition against the Giants) he'll be ready to go."

That's just it. Cutler and Williams need to forge a bond. While preseason isn't a good indicator of a lot of things to come, the Bears were 31st on offense in exhibitions a year ago and gave up the most sacks. They were 30th on offense in the regular season and allowed the most sacks.

There has been a shift in personnel to mirror a philosophy rooted in running the ball, but the passing game has to be more explosive. It's precisely why Williams was signed.

Cutler threw just one pass — a screen — in the first exhibition. The game Monday night at New Meadowlands Stadium will provide a better glimpse at the passing game as a whole.

But will it be easy for Cutler to work downfield to Williams? The Giants had nine first-half sacks in the meeting a year ago in their base defense without much in the way of blitzing. Cutler could be challenged to have time to throw.

Williams said the best quarterback connection he has had in his career was with Jon Kitna with the Lions playing under Martz.

"It was just this offense," Williams said. "He had a good feel for it, I had a good feel for it. It just worked out."

I guess my expectations for Roy are lower than some. For me he's just one piece of the WR puzzle. He is not "the" piece. He gives us something we didn't have on the roster, a bigger body who can get off the LOS and to a spot quicker than the little guys. We need that 5 yard slant in a big way, along with a solid running game, but it might be the other guys who can get downfield quicker that benefit the most from that. In other words, I don't think it will Roy's numbers we'll all talking about later in the season.

The type of shape Martz wants his WR's in is a little more demanding shape than most teams. He wants his players to be able to run a deep fly route and be able to line back up on the next snap.

Most WR's come out for a play after running a pattern like that.

Don't get too overly concerned over stories in the papers. They need to create controversy to sell papers, so every few days it's gonna be something else.

True...unfair comparison to Rice, etc..

However, I'd expect a little better conditioning from a pro, don't you? He's not a beefy lineman. He's a speedy WR. There are certain things you simply expect guys to be on top of.

Mad L Barber is out to prove his former team wrong and Hurd is a fringe special teamer. No matter how we look at it Roy Williams is a NFL diva type player of this decade that will never be on par with a Jerry Rice or a Michael Irvin or Chris Carter. What results did you expect to see from him in the first preseason game?Jerry Rice is a HOF WR and Williams will never measure up to those standards after being on his third team in such a short career so far.