Terrelle Pryor & implications

flea

Eligible for supplemental draft but will be suspended for 1st 5 games. So he gets suspended in the NFL for something he did in college. Personally I think this is a joke & a very slippery slope for the NFL to get on. What net will Hester be suspended for his involvement in the Miami stuff?

Agreed on the suspension issue. This is the NFL's way of saying we know we can't legally stop someone from obtaining work in this country so you are eligible for the draft but we also want to slap you for making us do this. Hester's issue should be a non-factor for the NFL as well. What happened to Reggie Bush?

Eligible for supplemental draft but will be suspended for 1st 5 games. So he gets suspended in the NFL for something he did in college. Personally I think this is a joke & a very slippery slope for the NFL to get on. What net will Hester be suspended for his involvement in the Miami stuff?

The NFL per Adam Schefter is punishing him for trying to circumvent the supplemental draft rules. He didn't expand on what he did in particular to try and circumvent the rules. Any team that takes him must look at him as a draft pick for next season since he will not be able to play or practice with the team that selects him.

It's the NFL's party. If Pryor wants to attend, he needs to come in the appropriate attire per the invite. Or he can go to the party in Canada.

I don't think any previous player will be repremanded or anything (ie. Hester). It's pretty much a grandfather clause at this point. Pryor just happened.

I heard that the suspention is for 6 week, then he can practice. So, he'll get time this season to prep for some of this and mostly next.

I'm sure he'll end up on the Raiders.

The NFL per Adam Schefter is punishing him for trying to circumvent the supplemental draft rules. He didn't expand on what he did in particular to try and circumvent the rules. Any team that takes him must look at him as a draft pick for next season since he will not be able to play or practice with the team that selects him.

He can also play and practice during the preseason.

That is also correct and reading more detailed info on the situation you find out that the NFLPA wanted Pryor to fight the suspension for obvious reasons,but his Sleasenhaus representation says they will not pursue it. Why not? I believe they will wait until he is established in the NFL and then go after this ruling because for all intents and purposes this is a olive branch being thrown to the NCAA that has never been able to police their members.

I honestly don't see why the extension of college infractions into the NFL is supposedly ridiculous.

Many jobs require background checks. Many jobs penalize potential employees for not being as squeaky clean as the next guy. How so? Money.

If the college players want to be recognized and paid individually based upon their performance, then they should have no problem realizing that committing what amounts to a "football crime" is bound to tarnish someone's image somewhat. Think of it as a direct reflection of the personal conduct policy of recent years. The NFL doesn't want thugs, criminals, rule-breakers, etc. That's the image they're trying to alter. Penalizing those who apply to get a job in the NFL - make no mistake, playing in the NFL is a privilege; it's not a right - could be a way to help stem the actions at a lower level. If a potential NFL talent realized that his actions affect his future (like the rest of us), then perhaps they wouldn't break rules that are so blatantly obvious.

I bascially agree. I still contend that it's the NFL's party, and whoever gets invited needs to adhere to the invitation.

I'm disappointed that there seems to be a double standard regarding their dealings with coaches...like Peter Caroll for one... I think they should implement similar for coaches that resign and run to the NFL for gigs when getting nabbed in similar fashion.

I honestly don't see why the extension of college infractions into the NFL is supposedly ridiculous.

Many jobs require background checks. Many jobs penalize potential employees for not being as squeaky clean as the next guy. How so? Money.

If the college players want to be recognized and paid individually based upon their performance, then they should have no problem realizing that committing what amounts to a "football crime" is bound to tarnish someone's image somewhat. Think of it as a direct reflection of the personal conduct policy of recent years. The NFL doesn't want thugs, criminals, rule-breakers, etc. That's the image they're trying to alter. Penalizing those who apply to get a job in the NFL - make no mistake, playing in the NFL is a privilege; it's not a right - could be a way to help stem the actions at a lower level. If a potential NFL talent realized that his actions affect his future (like the rest of us), then perhaps they wouldn't break rules that are so blatantly obvious.

Great post and I'm in complete agreement.

Outstanding post Jason and it points to the "Business" side of sports. Hell if they are testing for HGH like a lot of employers are doing a drug screening, then why not this? You opened my eyes on this. I need to temper my disdain for Goddell.I just don't like or trust him.