Forte news

Alaskan Grizzly

I fully agree. JA has lost any goodwill with how he's handling Forte. he's even getting blasted on national TV by Collinworthless.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2975485.story

Don't like that this is going on. At this point I'll say getting rid of Angelo, Martz and paying Forte are the Bears priorities. Even before signing a WR or OL

While you know I'm on board with firing Martz/Angelo, on a sep point, I wish Forte would STFU

In the offseason, the bears made him an offer. He felt he was worth more and turned it down. That's the business side of football. Either side could make their case.

Forte had the opportunity to put up a good year and cash in. Just shut up and go about your business. IMHO, the reason this is still the story it is, is in large part due to Forte continuing to talk like this.

Look. Don't misunderstand me. Forte is playing incredible, and earning money with each game. But I just wish he would shut up. Seriously. This is why GMs don't like to work on deals during the season. It becomes a distraction.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2975485.story

Don't like that this is going on. At this point I'll say getting rid of Angelo, Martz and paying Forte are the Bears priorities. Even before signing a WR or OL

While you know I'm on board with firing Martz/Angelo, on a sep point, I wish Forte would STFU

In the offseason, the bears made him an offer. He felt he was worth more and turned it down. That's the business side of football. Either side could make their case.

Forte had the opportunity to put up a good year and cash in. Just shut up and go about your business. IMHO, the reason this is still the story it is, is in large part due to Forte continuing to talk like this.

Look. Don't misunderstand me. Forte is playing incredible, and earning money with each game. But I just wish he would shut up. Seriously. This is why GMs don't like to work on deals during the season. It becomes a distraction.

Agreed completely.

This 1000%.

Peace :dabears

I'm right there with you. He is almost starting to become whiny. Do your job and keep your mouth shut and the media will do the talking for you. It happened for Lovie and it happened for Jauron while under this same jerk GM.

Forte just needs to shut up and play. The Bears tried to get a deal done before the season, they couldn't, so now they are waiting until after the season. What part of that doesn't he understand? I'm sick of this weekly Matt Forte talking about his contract stuff. STFU and play, because you aren't going anywhere. The Bears could just as easily Franchise tag him for the next two years if he doesn't accept what they are offering.

I'd tend to agree. I do wonder how much of this is the media just constantly asking him about it? He could refrain from answering...but still, it's like offering me free beer after I've had too many. I shouldn't take it, but dammit, it's too easy not to!

I'm right there with you. He is almost starting to become whiny. Do your job and keep your mouth shut and the media will do the talking for you. It happened for Lovie and it happened for Jauron while under this same jerk GM.

I can't believe I never thought of this nor did I ever believe I'd agree with that d-bag David Kaplan, but after watching CTL today, he brought up a valid point.

The Bears can tag Forte after this season and after the next. At that point, it'd be his 7th year in the NFL. Typically, RB's with 7 years under their belts begin to decline, and I can see how Forte would follow with how much he touches the ball.

Can you blame the Bears if they actually did this?

I can't believe I never thought of this nor did I ever believe I'd agree with that d-bag David Kaplan, but after watching CTL today, he brought up a valid point.

The Bears can tag Forte after this season and after the next. At that point, it'd be his 7th year in the NFL. Typically, RB's with 7 years under their belts begin to decline, and I can see how Forte would follow with how much he touches the ball.

Well yes, I can. The guy is our offensive leader at this point, he deserves to be rewarded. Now, just watch his productivity after being tagged. he won't last until the second tag.

So 2 consecutive tags are allowed?

How does the week 10 reporting period work now under the new agreement? Can he just hold out until week 10 still? I think he can be fined...but I honestly don't know.

Forte just needs to shut up and play. The Bears tried to get a deal done before the season, they couldn't, so now they are waiting until after the season. What part of that doesn't he understand? I'm sick of this weekly Matt Forte talking about his contract stuff. STFU and play, because you aren't going anywhere. The Bears could just as easily Franchise tag him for the next two years if he doesn't accept what they are offering.

eh, I dont blame anyone now a days for trying to get paid while they have the chance. We dont live in the old days anymore. Its all about self promotion. Everyone is saying pay the man. Hell, he even has the announcers saying it.

IMHO, all the more reason for him to just shut up and play. If everyone is saying Angelo needs to pay up, then Forte has no reason to make it an issue himself. Just continue to play as he has, and let everyone else do the talking. In doing this, he wins all around. But when he continually talks as he has, IMHO, it only serves to create tension and problems.

eh, I dont blame anyone now a days for trying to get paid while they have the chance. We dont live in the old days anymore. Its all about self promotion. Everyone is saying pay the man. Hell, he even has the announcers saying it.

IMHO, all the more reason for him to just shut up and play. If everyone is saying Angelo needs to pay up, then Forte has no reason to make it an issue himself. Just continue to play as he has, and let everyone else do the talking. In doing this, he wins all around. But when he continually talks as he has, IMHO, it only serves to create tension and problems.

Yes, but the fact that he is making these statements is why people are saying pay the man. So if he shuts his mouth and plays and JA puts the tag on him and he gets hurt he is done. He doesn't want to be franchised he wants a new deal with some guarantees.

Again I can't blame him.

So 2 consecutive tags are allowed?

How does the week 10 reporting period work now under the new agreement? Can he just hold out until week 10 still? I think he can be fined...but I honestly don't know.

Yes, 2 consecutive tags are allowed. That's still there...but there's still a kicker. The first year's tag is the average of the top 5 salaries at that position...which would put Forte as a $10 million/1 year guaranteed contract player next year. The next year, the franchise tag is still usable, but the player's salary goes to 120% of the previous year's salary...so then it would be ~$12 million.

Forte can hold out, but the penalties for holdouts are much stiffer. The old fine limit used to be about $16k/day, the new limit is $30k/day. A month long preseason holdout costs a million dollars. They've added a much stronger "you must show up 30 days before the regular season starts to accrue a full year's service time" as well, but I think once Forte has finished his current contract and received the franchise tag that the service time issue won't matter to him as much.

If he were to be tagged and then say, hold out until October 1, he'd cost himself $2.5 million in missed games and the Bears could fine him about another $2.5 million. By November 1, he's pretty much ensured that he won't get paid for the year.

Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, 2 consecutive tags are allowed. That's still there...but there's still a kicker. The first year's tag is the average of the top 5 salaries at that position...which would put Forte as a $10 million/1 year guaranteed contract player next year. The next year, the franchise tag is still usable, but the player's salary goes to 120% of the previous year's salary...so then it would be ~$12 million.

Forte can hold out, but the penalties for holdouts are much stiffer. The old fine limit used to be about $16k/day, the new limit is $30k/day. A month long preseason holdout costs a million dollars. They've added a much stronger "you must show up 30 days before the regular season starts to accrue a full year's service time" as well, but I think once Forte has finished his current contract and received the franchise tag that the service time issue won't matter to him as much.

If he were to be tagged and then say, hold out until October 1, he'd cost himself $2.5 million in missed games and the Bears could fine him about another $2.5 million. By November 1, he's pretty much ensured that he won't get paid for the year.

If the Bears were to tag him and he was really unhappy about it...I could see him holding out for a week, maybe 2...but it costs him $210k a week after the opening of training camp. 2 weeks of a holdout is as much in fines as he's making what, this whole season?

The league dislikes those holdouts, so they made the penalties quite a bit stiffer in the new CBA. Pretty intelligent move all around.

The other thing to remember...the deal the Bears offered him at the start of the year guaranteed him $15 million. If the Bears tag him for 1 year, they are guaranteeing him >$10 million for 1 year. 2 years of tags would be $22 million. The guaranteed money for 2 years of tagging him is more than D'Angelo Williams got in his full 5 year extension. Tagging Forte is actually a rough business decision for the Bears too...it eats up their cap space and they have no opportunity to spread the impact out over a number of seasons.

At the end of this year, a fair offer to him is a deal with something over $20 million guaranteed, probably in the $22 million range if he keeps playing like this. That's up from the $15 million guaranteed that was fair at the start of the year. With the leverage each side has, that really ought to get done during that period in early Feb. before the FA deadline. He won't hit FA, both sides know that, and the number at that point would be in the $20 million range.

If the Bears were to tag him and he was really unhappy about it...I could see him holding out for a week, maybe 2...but it costs him $210k a week after the opening of training camp. 2 weeks of a holdout is as much in fines as he's making what, this whole season?

I'm not entirely certain but isn't he not fined with a tag because he is not under contract until he signs the tender? And doesn't he have until sometime in October to sign it or something like that?

Just checking, but if Forte is hit with the Franchise tag, and does not sign it, would he technically be "holding out"? By tagging him, the bears retain the rights to Forte, but he is not under contract.

Just like when you have a rookie who has not signed a contract. Everyone uses the term holdout, but that isn't correct. He isn't under contract, thus he is not officially a holdout. Thus a team can not slap him with fines. I thought it the same for franchise tagged players. If they refuse to show up for camp or whatever, they can't be slapped with fines as they are not under contract.