Report: Chris Harris Released

Cutsizzle

It just goes to show how Bush League this team is becoming. According to what I just read on the Trib's website Harris confirmed he has been released. Not a good way to show respect for a player. To jerk his chain as they have this season and just flat out release him angers me and proves to me how screwed up this franchise is becoming. So what if he was not the player he once once, be respectful in your dealings with the player. Seems the same thing happened with Kruetz, just unceremoniously get rid of the player in the worst possible way. I sure hope that George McCaskey is seeing how Ted Philips and Jerry Angelo are running his grandfather's team and decides to make a change that hopefully will be for the good. Such disrespect should not be tolerated.

I'm not surprised since it is a bye week and Harris' recent play led to this.Though he is one of the most media friendly players on the team, his public demand for a trade just prior to the deadline tells me that he didn't want to be here. So now he is free to pursue a team he feels he can contribute on. Good luck Chris you had a good second run.

I'm not surprised since it is a bye week and Harris' recent play led to this.Though he is one of the most media friendly players on the team, his public demand for a trade just prior to the deadline tells me that he didn't want to be here. So now he is free to pursue a team he feels he can contribute on. Good luck Chris you had a good second run.

I agree 100% on this. I like Harris and wish him luck but there was no reason for him to make his demands public for a raise and then a trade.

Peace :dabears

It just goes to show how Bush League this team is becoming. According to what I just read on the Trib's website Harris confirmed he has been released. Not a good way to show respect for a player. To jerk his chain as they have this season and just flat out release him angers me and proves to me how screwed up this franchise is becoming. So what if he was not the player he once once, be respectful in your dealings with the player. Seems the same thing happened with Kruetz, just unceremoniously get rid of the player in the worst possible way. I sure hope that George McCaskey is seeing how Ted Philips and Jerry Angelo are running his grandfather's team and decides to make a change that hopefully will be for the good. Such disrespect should not be tolerated.

So you think the Bears should have continued to waste money and roster spots on guys that can't get it done any more?

I highly disagree.

The only thing that is surprising is that he was released at all, seeing as how Lovie is such a players coach.

We do not know all the details of what is happening however, Harris did come out of training camp as the starter and then got injured. If he was not 100% then you keep him off the field. I think the game at Detroit was a total let down by the entire team and you can't blame someone alone for the entire collapse by the team. I do not think that Harris is 100% healthy and it seems that they are making him a scape goat because he speaks his mind on the situation at hand for him. He may have lost a step due to the hamstring however, give the man his due and don't be disrespectful to him.

So you think the Bears should have continued to waste money and roster spots on guys that can't get it done any more?

I highly disagree.

The only thing that is surprising is that he was released at all, seeing as how Lovie is such a players coach.

I'm sorry, but again as the theme has been 'this is a business'. With Kreutz, there had to be something the team saw with their willingness to release him. And the Bears even offered him more than he eventually signed on with the Saints. So I can only assume that Harris was trending that way. Especially given his issues as of late.

I too am a fan of Harris' and wish him the best in his next endeavor.

I wonder if "years of service" came into play. The let him go as a gesture so he can find somewhere else to play.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2011/10/27/ch...eased-by-bears/

If this is true, holy crap, why not let him stick out the season and then not re-sign him?

I guess they like Conte that much.

Reported by Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune. :(

Normally, given the opportunity, I'll take shots at Bears management! However, I catually think they did him right. By letting him go, he doesn't languish on our bench. It gives him a shot to find a home elsewhere this season.

But yes, in so many other areas, they need a punch in the face...

They just released him because he wasn't going to play special teams and Lovie didn't want him taking up a roster spot if he was just going to stand on the sidelines. They probably did him a favor by releasing him so he could catch on with another team because they could have just kept him for some depth, because lord knows Major Wright is going to get injured again at some point this season.

We do not know all the details of what is happening however, Harris did come out of training camp as the starter and then got injured. If he was not 100% then you keep him off the field. I think the game at Detroit was a total let down by the entire team and you can't blame someone alone for the entire collapse by the team. I do not think that Harris is 100% healthy and it seems that they are making him a scape goat because he speaks his mind on the situation at hand for him. He may have lost a step due to the hamstring however, give the man his due and don't be disrespectful to him.

Some of what I have heard today is that Chris Harris admitted being in the doghouse a few times over the past couple of seasons. That I didn't know and we all know when safeties get in the doghouse with Lovie they don't stay with the team that long. Speculation is that once his play suffered on the field, that gave the team an opportunity to rid themselves of what they perceived as a "Clubhouse Lawyer".That is the similarity to Kruetz. It was common knowledge that all the players referred to the lockerroom as Olin's. It is clear that with some of the departures of veterans from this team over the past few years Ogunleye,Tommie Harris,Thomas Jones,Musin Mohammad,Kruetz and now Chris Harris that Lovie is trying to be the lockerroom leader and doesn't take to kindly to those who are taking to the airwaves or social media to express their personal views.

The problem with Harris, is that he was still injured, but claimed he wasn't. I could tell he was still injured just by watching him. The problem is that it's hard for a player to rehab an injury if they claim it doesn't exist.

The Bears benched him - presumably because he was injured - and Harris responded by asking for the ability to seek a trade. The Bears granted it to him. They did him a favor by giving him the freedom he had requested just the week before. I can't see how the team could possibly have done anything wrong by doing what the player asked.

As for who to blame for the Lions loss, you are correct that it was a team issue. However, you can blame the safety that was out of position for the deep pass to Johnson, and not in his lane for the long run by Best. What do you know? That was Harris on both plays.

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

Some of what I have heard today is that Chris Harris admitted being in the doghouse a few times over the past couple of seasons. That I didn't know and we all know when safeties get in the doghouse with Lovie they don't stay with the team that long. Speculation is that once his play suffered on the field, that gave the team an opportunity to rid themselves of what they perceived as a "Clubhouse Lawyer".That is the similarity to Kruetz. It was common knowledge that all the players referred to the lockerroom as Olin's. It is clear that with some of the departures of veterans from this team over the past few years Ogunleye,Tommie Harris,Thomas Jones,Musin Mohammad,Kruetz and now Chris Harris that Lovie is trying to be the lockerroom leader and doesn't take to kindly to those who are taking to the airwaves or social media to express their personal views.

...Not a good way to show respect for a player. To jerk his chain as they have this season and just flat out release him angers me and proves to me how screwed up this franchise is becoming. ...

He wanted to go somewhere else. The Bears obliged. I have no idea whether releasing him was a good thing for the Bears, but how can you complain that the Bears giving him what he wanted was disrespectful? The only difference is that he now has to renegotiate a contract, which he might've had to do anyway. Depending on who the Bears add, I would've guessed the best thing to do was to keep him on the bench for insurance, but for a veteran that expects to start, that would have been closer to disrespectful than what the Bears actually did.

My guess is, he became a distraction in the locker room. That's the only reason you release your best safety. With the impending signings that will need to occur in the off season. They probably decided it would help to do that business now. It sucks, because he will be needed before the season is out. I find out very understandable though.

My guess is, he became a distraction in the locker room. That's the only reason you release your best safety. With the impending signings that will need to occur in the off season. They probably decided it would help to do that business now. It sucks, because he will be needed before the season is out. I find out very understandable though.

I think it's been pretty clear that he wasn't the best safety on the field for the Bears this year.