Just signed this OLB...

madlithuanian

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...aivers-thursday

By Jeff Dickerson

ESPNChicago.com

Archive CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears claimed former St. Louis Rams linebacker Jabara Williams off waivers on Thursday. Williams, selected in the seventh round by the Rams in the 2011 NFL draft, played in two games for St. Louis this season before being released.

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog

Get the latest Bears news from ESPN Chicago.com's Jeff Dickerson and Michael Wright. Blog

• Bears Center | ESPNChicago.com

• ESPN.com: NFC North

The Bears were on the lookout for another linebacker to add to the mix; the club began the regular season with only five on the active roster. Bears general manager spent the past two months scanning the league for young, athletic linebackers who could contribute on special teams. A spot on the Bears' 53-man roster opened up Thursday when the team parted ways with veteran safety Chris Harris.

Williams played collegiately at Stephen F. Austin, where he was named the Southland's Defensive Player of the Year in 2010. A three-time all-conference first-team selection, Williams finished his college career with 411 tackles, seven sacks and four interceptions.

Jeff Dickerson covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.

apparently people in St Louis are up in arms over loosing the kid

Not seeing where you're getting that from.

Williams, the Rams' seventh-round pick from earlier this year, played special teams with St. Louis the past two weeks after being inactive for the first quarter of the season. Drafted out of Stephen F. Austin, he was never viewed as a potential starter in St. Louis.

When Conte played special teams there wasn't much of a problem but with him as our starting FS, and it appears he'll stay that way long term, we don't want him burning up energy on special teams. Harris played poorly at S and couldn't or wouldn't play special teams (Meriweather will by the way so he keeps earning $3 mil) plus we needed more depth at LB.

I had thought Harris was going to fix our issues at S when he returned from his injury but after watching the guys on NFL Playbook single out with the clicker how poorly our safeties were playing it became obvious to me we needed someone else to save the day. While Harris was well liked among his teammates from the comments I've seen it doesn't appear there is a lot of shock in the locker room. Or perhaps at least nobody is saying that he was critical to our success and how many big plays he made.

When Conte played special teams there wasn't much of a problem but with him as our starting FS, and it appears he'll stay that way long term, we don't want him burning up energy on special teams. Harris played poorly at S and couldn't or wouldn't play special teams (Meriweather will by the way so he keeps earning $3 mil) plus we needed more depth at LB.

I had thought Harris was going to fix our issues at S when he returned from his injury but after watching the guys on NFL Playbook single out with the clicker how poorly our safeties were playing it became obvious to me we needed someone else to save the day. While Harris was well liked among his teammates from the comments I've seen it doesn't appear there is a lot of shock in the locker room. Or perhaps at least nobody is saying that he was critical to our success and how many big plays he made.

& yet he's been dressed the last 2 games & saw no time on special teams