10 Reasons to be concerned

jason

I'm happy with the JA firing, and lukewarm on Martz resigning (mostly because I believe JA's failures have made it nearly impossible for Martz to truly succeed or implement a complete offense). However, there is still quite a bit of cause for concern.

1. Ted Phillips is apparently in charge. He is not a football guy.

2. Any new GM will be forced to take Lovie. Most superiors don't like subordinates forced upon them. This is especially true in the world of GMs.

3. Any new OC will almost certainly be weak. They won't want to be under a HC on thin ice with a new GM who will probably want to hire his own guy quite soon.

4. Number 3 makes "Mike Tice named the new Chicago Bears' OC" a likely scenario in a future press conference. This is problematic for two reasons:

5. He has never called offensive plays.

6. If he actually believes the OL is good, then he's either blind, an idiot, or a bad talent evaluator. Hopefully he was just saying what needed to be said in press conferences, but it's nonetheless disconcerting.

7. Cutler has to learn yet another offense.

8. The offensive scheme will change, and may not suit what little talent is on the offensive side of the ball.

9. Forte has to begin contract negotiations anew.

10. While many had issues with the offensive scheme, the defensive scheme has just as many problems, if not more. It has been exploited numerous times. It has been figured out. And it will remain the same next year.

I'm happy with the JA firing, and lukewarm on Martz resigning (mostly because I believe JA's failures have made it nearly impossible for Martz to truly succeed or implement a complete offense). However, there is still quite a bit of cause for concern.

2. Any new GM will be forced to take Lovie. Most superiors don't like subordinates forced upon them. This is especially true in the world of GMs.

3. Any new OC will almost certainly be weak. They won't want to be under a HC on thin ice with a new GM who will probably want to hire his own guy quite soon.

4. Number 3 makes "Mike Tice named the new Chicago Bears' OC" a likely scenario in a future press conference. This is problematic for two reasons:

6. If he actually believes the OL is good, then he's either blind, an idiot, or a bad talent evaluator. Hopefully he was just saying what needed to be said in press conferences, but it's nonetheless disconcerting.

8. The offensive scheme will change, and may not suit what little talent is on the offensive side of the ball.

10. While many had issues with the offensive scheme, the defensive scheme has just as many problems, if not more. It has been exploited numerous times. It has been figured out. And it will remain the same next year.

Maybe Jeremy bates would be willing to take a shot, he got fired from sea last jan and I don't think he is working right now. At least his Wikipedia didn't say he was working now

1. Yeah, but even a non-football guy knew this was the right decision. The draft day failures alone make this a legitimate firing.

2. I am assuming Lovie has one more year, and if we don't get to the playoffs, he will be gone.

3. As long as it isn't "one of Lovie's guys"

4. That is possible, but so is Bates and Billick (and I wouldn't mind either of them as HC down the road)

5. Can't argue with that, I believe Tice still needs to prove he can manage an O-Line

6. Just media fluff, the numbers don't lie

7. Not necessarily. He can re-learn one where he excelled. It is like picking up an old instrument that you haven't played in awhile. You will be rusty, but will pick it up much quicker.

8. I believe a change will suite what we have (and may get) because you can adjust the playbook to take advantage of any possible strengths. Also, more players will be familiar with a normal offense compared to Martzfense.

9. The new GM's first order may be to get him a new deal, which will be good for all parties.

10. I agree, I hate the Cover/Tampa-2 or any variation. Just like Martz' offense, it is about 5 years out of date. That won't change unless Lovie is gone. That sucks too because it would've been nice to see Urlacher rushing the QB and getting sacks vs sprinting back to cover the huge hole over the middle.

I agree. I think if you're going to ditch an offense that the team was finally starting to get the grips on they should just start over completely top to bottom and that means Phillips and Lovie also gone. We all know what our weaknesses were and we all mocked drafted players that would've improved this team. Jerry or whoever was making the call failed to build this team the right way.

If we would've of started to put the pieces in place with the Grossman pick, this team could be drastically different. They failed to address the OL and WR then. Not saying Rex would've been great, but he had a aging oline protecting him and maybe #2 WRs in Muhammad/Berrian. Benson/Jones if they couldve got along would've been a great dual threat. Many wasted picks and not bringing them in the right way. That's why I think they should fire Phillips, bring in a great football mind to be President, hire an up n coming gm, and find an offensive minded coach.

I agree. I think if you're going to ditch an offense that the team was finally starting to get the grips on they should just start over completely top to bottom and that means Phillips and Lovie also gone. We all know what our weaknesses were and we all mocked drafted players that would've improved this team. Jerry or whoever was making the call failed to build this team the right way.

If we would've of started to put the pieces in place with the Grossman pick, this team could be drastically different. They failed to address the OL and WR then. Not saying Rex would've been great, but he had a aging oline protecting him and maybe #2 WRs in Muhammad/Berrian. Benson/Jones if they couldve got along would've been a great dual threat. Many wasted picks and not bringing them in the right way. That's why I think they should fire Phillips, bring in a great football mind to be President, hire an up n coming gm, and find an offensive minded coach.

What GM canidate with any substance will walk into a situation where he cant pick his coaches? He will have to be a unproven guy getting his first chance. Another role of the dice by a non football guy, Ted Phillips.

Phillips - Hell yes.

GM - I'd still prefer a proven guy.

Offensive minded coach - HAHAHAHAHA...C'mon...the Bears don't do that. The last two guys, who weren't even the HC, that tried anything other than "3 yards and a cloud of dust" were almost universally hated by Bears fans.

Fans hate losing more. If the offensive mind won, we'd be right behind it... It's not that we had offensive minds, it's that those minds didn't work for the talent (or lack thereof) we had in hand. I simply want a coaching staff that know what they have, and makes the most of it. Adaptability is the key.

Offensive minded coach - HAHAHAHAHA...C'mon...the Bears don't do that. The last two guys, who weren't even the HC, that tried anything other than "3 yards and a cloud of dust" were almost universally hated by Bears fans.

Fans hate losing more. If the offensive mind won, we'd be right behind it... It's not that we had offensive minds, it's that those minds didn't work for the talent (or lack thereof) we had in hand. I simply want a coaching staff that know what they have, and makes the most of it. Adaptability is the key.

And as long as the Bears have a HC like Lovie Smith (unless the new GM ignores his HC), there will be significantly more focus on defense than offense, a desire to shorten the game as it compliments Lovie's defense, and a problem with any OC that attempts other than a vanilla offense intended to burn time more than score points.

Exactly, when Martz was hired there was a laundry list of concerns ranging from the quarterback taking hits in his offense to his inability to adapt to his talent.

Most of the concerns were not addressed, besides him being sat down and forced to adapt the offense to his talent two years in a row after a stretch were the offense actually cost the team wins.

No matter how people want to spin it, it is a positive that Martz is gone.

Phillips - Hell yes.

GM - I'd still prefer a proven guy.

GM - what's your thoughts on the Reggie McKenzie (ugh-kelly? edit) from Green Bay? I think he'd be a quality choice.

Another important thing to note is, with the new GM and the fact that the Bears are keeping Lovie for 2012 and not Mike Martz, Jay could potentially go through TWO more offensive coordinators within the next two seasons once the GM has the power to fire Lovie. That is not a good situation at all and it's one of the reasons putting a nix on firing lovie this season is so damn dumb. Lovie already has to choose yet another new OC before next season, if he's gone after next year, and the new GM hires the new HC for the Bears, that coach is going to want to choose his own staff which means whoever that OC is this year, probably won't be here for more than a season.

Another important thing to note is, with the new GM and the fact that the Bears are keeping Lovie for 2012 and not Mike Martz, Jay could potentially go through TWO more offensive coordinators within the next two seasons once the GM has the power to fire Lovie. That is not a good situation at all and it's one of the reasons putting a nix on firing lovie this season is so damn dumb. Lovie already has to choose yet another new OC before next season, if he's gone after next year, and the new GM hires the new HC for the Bears, that coach is going to want to choose his own staff which means whoever that OC is this year, probably won't be here for more than a season.

we have the never ending story of a lame-duck coach who no coordinator worth a dam and in his right mind would even consider. and like you said, how many OC's does cutler have to go through with this idiotic franchise? oh yea, we may get tice by default. someone who has never called an offensive game in his life.

is 'curious' george really dumber than ted phillips? it is appearing to be the case.

Seriously, do you think Smith will be gone? It's the Fontes curse... We will be in the playoffs next season. Smith will get credit for that, and get signed for another 2 years. We then miss playoffs for 2 years. Then in his lame duck season again, we make the playoffs. Rinse, repeat. Until Virgie can accept that Smith will never take us to the peak, this will be our lot in life.

Exactly, when Martz was hired there was a laundry list of concerns ranging from the quarterback taking hits in his offense to his inability to adapt to his talent.

Most of the concerns were not addressed, besides him being sat down and forced to adapt the offense to his talent two years in a row after a stretch were the offense actually cost the team wins.

No matter how people want to spin it, it is a positive that Martz is gone.

But since JA has done nearly nothing successful to address the two major areas of need for the Bears (i.e. OL & WR), and those deficiencies directly affect any OC's ability to implement their complete system (regardless of what it is), it's an even more positive sign that JA is gone. Seriously, imagine being told you are the OC of an NFL team, but then being forced to use only half of your playbook because when you try the other half the team shits the bed? Many like Martz leaving, but the fact that JA got fired should have a more positive impact.

Seriously, do you think Smith will be gone? It's the Fontes curse... We will be in the playoffs next season. Smith will get credit for that, and get signed for another 2 years. We then miss playoffs for 2 years. Then in his lame duck season again, we make the playoffs. Rinse, repeat. Until Virgie can accept that Smith will never take us to the peak, this will be our lot in life.

Same damn thing happened with Jauron the moron.

GM - what's your thoughts on the Reggie McKenzie (ugh-kelly? edit) from Green Bay? I think he'd be a quality choice.

If he's been pulling the strings since he's been in GB, then he's a quality GM with a history of successful drafts, an offensive-lean to his picks, and with more hits than misses on the big picks. I also like the consistent effort to find and cultivate QB talent. And taking him away from the Packers is a win-win for the Bears...assuming he was the one behind the picks.