New GM

madlithuanian

There's a ton of skepticism going on, and I'm also a bit worried. However, there are some positives besides the spin the bears are putting on it...

1. Reporting to Teddy might be a blessing. Any GM worthwhile will see Teddy as a piss ant and do what he wants to do. It'll be like virtually having no boss. So, for a strong and smart GM, it could prove a blessing.

2. Stuck with Smith. Well, assuming it's truly locked...then after one season, he could be ousted potentially. Also, what if, Smith actually excels? What is a barrage of new talent makes all the difference? Smith isn't the worst coach. He's certainly not the best. But he might be good enough. Maybe the new GM helps him. If not, then he could be gone. Also, there is the possibility that if the bears are serious about getting a big boy GM, regardless of the rhetoric they publicly put up...maybe Smith isn't as safe as we fear.

3. Team. The team has a good chunk of talent starting. They need OL help, WR help, DL help, and secondary help. One player for each of those spots that's even just decent will help the team tremendously. Then, star adding depth. This team could be dangerous with just a few key additions. Long term, they need more, but for a 2 year window, minor tweakings could provide some seriously positive results.

There are too many negatives to list...but think who we're competing against...The Raiders, The Rams, The Colts and the Dolphins. Are any of those jobs really that much better? Only the Rams has the possibility of a complete overhaul. So, at worst, we're #2...

Why the $#%*^ would any of these guys come here and have to live with Lovie's philosophy and not their own. I don't get why Lovie has all this confidence from the top. How this teams failures over the past 8 years is not an indictment on him is beyond me. We're not talking about Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, Schottenheimer. Those are successful coaches. Those are coaches who have had assistants become successful coaches. That's a winning philosophy to stand behind. If you had one of those guys as your coach, I can understand standing pat behind their philosophy and asking the GM coming in to stand behind it as well, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about Lovie Smith. He's only hit double digit victories in 3 of his 8 years. He's a piss poor game manager. Piss poor talent evaluator. Piss poor player developer. Slow to recognize the obvious. Horrendous with the challenge flag. Terrible at clock management. The only thing that can be said for Lovie is he has the respect of his players, but he's a pretty easy coach to play for. His camps have been of the country club variety. No player is ever reprimanded, no matter how obvious or insanely idiotic the incident perpetrated happens to be. He just pretends the entire NFL viewing world is ignorant. He treats everyone the same, which is not how you rule 53 personalities. Some players motivate themselves because they are their worst critics, but others...like young, cocky, rich kids, who have been praised and treated like royalty up until now, need a little talking to...need a little discipline. You can't continue to watch them make mistake after mistake hoping they "get it"

Please tell me what makes him a good coach. Give me a player he has “coached” up? Tell me what he has done to earn such power as to help choose his own boss?

Angelo was clearly a terrible talent evaluator that struck gold a couple times. But what happens to these players after Jerry drafts them?? They go to Lovie. Lovie then has the responsibility to evaluate & remove how he sees fit. But talentless players stick around here a long time. Lazy, undisciplined players stick around here a long time. Who they hell trusts Lovie as a talent evaluator and why?? Accountability has been a bad word around Halas Hall forever.

Why would any GM want to come here and be hamstrung by this?? A GM needs to look to the future. Lovie needs to look out for himself NOW. Whose philosophy are you drafting for? Lovie’s or the GM’s? What a mess. One of the most storied and respected franchises of the NFL is a 3 ring circus!!!!!!!

Beleive you me, I'm the first to go harsh on ownership and the coaches... But, I'm trying to put some things in perspective.

1. Our owners are who they are. Sorry folks. It ain't going to change. Probably not even after Virgie passes. So, let's hope that George is better than Mikey.

2. Given that, Virgie is infatuated with Smith. To what exact degree, no one is sure. Enough so, that they had to come out and say Smith is staying and the next GM should have a similar philosophy. But, let's look into that further. All Smith wants is to run his D and not have the O make his life on D difficult. Many of us, including myself, hate his D. But thankfully we have some great players that make it work often. So, the next GM can pretty much damn well do what he wants on O. He's got Cutty, Forte, a couple of OL and a fair TE. Add away Mr. GM...it's all on you. And throw Smith a bone on D. Byt making the O better, the D will be better.

3. Seriously...I'm pretty confident in saying we'd all love Ted and Smith fired and real football men put in. But, it looks like that won't happen. But, I'll take getting rid of Angelo and Martz as addition by subtraction.

I'm basically in agreement with you. I'm just trying to see some positives among not enough positives...

Why the $#%*^ would any of these guys come here and have to live with Lovie's philosophy and not their own. I don't get why Lovie has all this confidence from the top. How this teams failures over the past 8 years is not an indictment on him is beyond me. We're not talking about Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, Schottenheimer. Those are successful coaches. Those are coaches who have had assistants become successful coaches. That's a winning philosophy to stand behind. If you had one of those guys as your coach, I can understand standing pat behind their philosophy and asking the GM coming in to stand behind it as well, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about Lovie Smith. He's only hit double digit victories in 3 of his 8 years. He's a piss poor game manager. Piss poor talent evaluator. Piss poor player developer. Slow to recognize the obvious. Horrendous with the challenge flag. Terrible at clock management. The only thing that can be said for Lovie is he has the respect of his players, but he's a pretty easy coach to play for. His camps have been of the country club variety. No player is ever reprimanded, no matter how obvious or insanely idiotic the incident perpetuated happens to be. He just pretends the entire NFL viewing world is ignorant. He treats everyone the same, which is not how you rule 53 personalities. Some players motivate themselves because they are their worst critics, but others...like young, cocky, rich kids, who have been praised and treated like royalty up till now, need a little talking to...need a little discipline. You can't continue to watch them make mistake after mistake. Hoping they "get it"

Please tell me what makes him a good coach. Give me a player he has “coached” up? Tell me what he has done to earn such power as to choose his boss?

Angelo was clearly a terrible talent evaluator that struck gold a couple times. But what happens to these players after Jerry drafts them?? They go to Lovie. Now Lovie can evaluate & remove how he sees fit. But talentless players stick around here a long time. Lazy, Undisciplined players stick around here a long time. Who they hell trusts Lovie as a talent evaluator and why?? Accountability has been a bad word around Halas Hall forever.

Why would any GM want to come here and be hamstrung by this?? A GM needs to look to the future. Lovie needs to look out for himself NOW. Whose philosophy are you drafting for? Lovie’s or the GM’s? What a mess. One of the most storied and respected franchises of the NFL is a 3 ring circus!!!!!!!

Why the $#%*^ would any of these guys come here and have to live with Lovie's philosophy and not their own. I don't get why Lovie has all this confidence from the top. How this teams failures over the past 8 years is not an indictment on him is beyond me. We're not talking about Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, Schottenheimer. Those are successful coaches. Those are coaches who have had assistants become successful coaches. That's a winning philosophy to stand behind. If you had one of those guys as your coach, I can understand standing pat behind their philosophy and asking the GM coming in to stand behind it as well, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about Lovie Smith. He's only hit double digit victories in 3 of his 8 years. He's a piss poor game manager. Piss poor talent evaluator. Piss poor player developer. Slow to recognize the obvious. Horrendous with the challenge flag. Terrible at clock management. The only thing that can be said for Lovie is he has the respect of his players, but he's a pretty easy coach to play for. His camps have been of the country club variety. No player is ever reprimanded, no matter how obvious or insanely idiotic the incident perpetuated happens to be. He just pretends the entire NFL viewing world is ignorant. He treats everyone the same, which is not how you rule 53 personalities. Some players motivate themselves because they are their worst critics, but others...like young, cocky, rich kids, who have been praised and treated like royalty up till now, need a little talking to...need a little discipline. You can't continue to watch them make mistake after mistake. Hoping they "get it"

Please tell me what makes him a good coach. Give me a player he has “coached” up? Tell me what he has done to earn such power as to choose his boss?

Angelo was clearly a terrible talent evaluator that struck gold a couple times. But what happens to these players after Jerry drafts them?? They go to Lovie. Now Lovie can evaluate & remove how he sees fit. But talentless players stick around here a long time. Lazy, Undisciplined players stick around here a long time. Who they hell trusts Lovie as a talent evaluator and why?? Accountability has been a bad word around Halas Hall forever.

I'm good with this post except for Schottenheimer. He was 5-13 in the postseason.

Peace :dabears

AMEN. One of the best posts ever put on this board.

Actually a first time GM may find this an attractive job. Lovie gets one year to prove himself, and then you can fire him if he doesnt win.

Yeah, because an employee who has never done something before is exactly the kind of guy you want running your multi-million dollar operation. Unless that guy, whoever it is, has been elbow-deep in the business of draft picks, scouting, and salary cap, then it's not a wise move. The more experienced guy, in terms of GMs, is probably a better answer. And particularly so for an organization that has clear management problems.

Yeah, because an employee who has never done something before is exactly the kind of guy you want running your multi-million dollar operation. Unless that guy, whoever it is, has been elbow-deep in the business of draft picks, scouting, and salary cap, then it's not a wise move. The more experienced guy, in terms of GMs, is probably a better answer. And particularly so for an organization that has clear management problems.

True. But I don't think Lovie Smith has a bad reputation out there in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the GM candidates thought having Lovie as a coach for their first year (minimum) was a good thing. Gives him an opportunity to focus on the draft this year and then worry about organizational issues next season, if necessary.

And I don't want to hear about "drafting for Lovie's scheme" blah blah blah. A good WR or OL guy will fit in no matter what scheme you run. Drafting DB's would be another story, potentially, but you'd have to take that into account.

True. But I don't think Lovie Smith has a bad reputation out there in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the GM candidates thought having Lovie as a coach for their first year (minimum) was a good thing. Gives him an opportunity to focus on the draft this year and then worry about organizational issues next season, if necessary.

And I don't want to hear about "drafting for Lovie's scheme" blah blah blah. A good WR or OL guy will fit in no matter what scheme you run. Drafting DB's would be another story, potentially, but you'd have to take that into account.

Listening to the score this morning it was said that both Reggie Mckensie and Brian Acosta would be interested in the Bears GM job. That was said after the "lovie will be the Bears caoch in 2012" comment. So hopefully having Lovie stay next year wont keep guys away.

I do agree with you about a Good WR or Ol will be good in any scheme you run.