New GM's thoughts on draft w/ a lame duck coach....

ASHKUM BEAR

Whoever the Bears choose to run football operations, might have difficulty drafting in terms of taking players that fit a certain scheme. With Martz gone, I think offense will be easier. As for defense, if your the GM would you take guys specifically that fit the cover-2 or would you grab a player that would fit a more traditional style defense? Luckily our biggest needs are on the offensive side of the ball and thats were I would go heavy early. But if we fail to make the playoffs again next year, Lovie might just get shown the door and then we are stuck with players that might not excel in standard 3-4. Seems like we are back to square one when JA had to draft for Jauron.

Heres one of the latest mocks online.....

Draft Teks new 5 rd mock on left and who I would take on the right:

drafttek......................................................me

1 Juron Criner WR ARZ 6-4 212...............Alshon Jeffery WR SC 6-4 233

2 Brandon Washington G Mia 6-4 320........Andrew Datko OLT FSU 6-6 321

3 Billy Winn DE Boise St 6-3 295..............Donnie Fletcher CB BC 6-1 198

3 Brandon Mosley LOT Auburn 6-5 305.......Ben Jones C Ga 6-3 315

4 Michael Egnew TE MO 6-5 242................Arthur Brown ILB KSU 6-1 225

5 Ryan Broyles WR OK 5-11 187................Jack Crawford DE PSU 6-5 264

Not really knowing the players, I like the positions taken in the Tek mock... I think I'd rather see a CB or S than a TE, but overall, if it played out like that, I'd be OK with that.

WR

OL

OL

DE

OL

TE

WR

Whoever the Bears choose to run football operations, might have difficulty drafting in terms of taking players that fit a certain scheme. With Martz gone, I think offense will be easier. As for defense, if your the GM would you take guys specifically that fit the cover-2 or would you grab a player that would fit a more traditional style defense? Luckily our biggest needs are on the offensive side of the ball and thats were I would go heavy early. But if we fail to make the playoffs again next year, Lovie might just get shown the door and then we are stuck with players that might not excel in standard 3-4. Seems like we are back to square one when JA had to draft for Jauron.

This is nice but a little scratchy. I feel we need to draft a play-maker Te with the 2nd overall pick. Gabe carimi T, Edwin Williams G, Garza C, Chris Williams G, AND CHRIS Spencer G, will be solid next year but we do need to get another tackle in free-agency. In the third round we need to get a S and a O-Linebacker. In the 4 round we can get a back up Qb and 5 round get a back up OT. It should look like this.

1 WR

2 TE

3 S

3 OSL

4 QB

5 OT

Welcome board!

Be prepared for jason telling you OL is a bigger priority! Which, I also happen to believe. Waiting until the 5th to get one is too long. One needs to be had in the first 2 rounds. Maybe 3rd at worst, but besides WR, there's no greater need.

This is nice but a little scratchy. I feel we need to draft a play-maker Te with the 2nd overall pick. Gabe carimi T, Edwin Williams G, Garza C, Chris Williams G, AND CHRIS Spencer G, will be solid next year but we do need to get another tackle in free-agency. In the third round we need to get a S and a O-Linebacker. In the 4 round we can get a back up Qb and 5 round get a back up OT. It should look like this.

1 WR

2 TE

3 S

3 OSL

4 QB

5 OT

1 WR

2 TE

3 S

3 OSL

4 QB

5 OT

With TE, you may be right, but I still cannot see one taken in RD2....RD3 at the earliest. Jimmy Graham was RD3-95 in 2010, Jared Cook RD3-89 in 2009, Jermical Finely RD3-91 in 2008. It all depends on what offense we run. If Tice takes over and runs a version of Martz's offense, then we might not even draft TE at all.

QB, we'll have to see what Enderle is about and if we are still going to try develop him, and finding a suitable vet to back up Cutler as the #2.

Guest TerraTor

Juron Criner??? Thats awful....

Everyone else I love!

I don't think forcing Lovie for a year on the new GM is all that bad. For one it gives him time to come in and evaluate the coaches and if he makes a decision next year to move on then he's got another year to get his players (from first offseason) and his new coach successful. I understand the point about drafting for scheme but regardless the first year of the new GMs tenure the vast majority of talent on the roster will remain setup for Lovie's scheme. The offense, as long as you find a GM who likes to have a power running game then we're built for that now up front. Forte fits in regardless, as does Cutler. It all comes back to the D which is going to get a major overhaul in 2-3 years.

Good points.

On D, my thought is why can't the GM simply draft good players regardless of scheme? Url, Briggs, Tillman and Pep can play in any scheme...we need guys like that. Granted, the tackles and safeties need special attention, and if a switch to 3-4 were to happen, there'd be some more adjustments...but to me, you get pass rushing ends or LB's and a coverage corner or big safety that can cover the likes of megatron... I know I'm over-simplifying, but there is some sense just to bring in pure talent.

I don't think forcing Lovie for a year on the new GM is all that bad. For one it gives him time to come in and evaluate the coaches and if he makes a decision next year to move on then he's got another year to get his players (from first offseason) and his new coach successful. I understand the point about drafting for scheme but regardless the first year of the new GMs tenure the vast majority of talent on the roster will remain setup for Lovie's scheme. The offense, as long as you find a GM who likes to have a power running game then we're built for that now up front. Forte fits in regardless, as does Cutler. It all comes back to the D which is going to get a major overhaul in 2-3 years.

Guest TerraTor
Good points.

On D, my thought is why can't the GM simply draft good players regardless of scheme? Url, Briggs, Tillman and Pep can play in any scheme...we need guys like that. Granted, the tackles and safeties need special attention, and if a switch to 3-4 were to happen, there'd be some more adjustments...but to me, you get pass rushing ends or LB's and a coverage corner or big safety that can cover the likes of megatron... I know I'm over-simplifying, but there is some sense just to bring in pure talent.

Is it me or are the DBs drafted for the "Cover Who" pretty much slow but can tackle? So basically suck at man-to-man

Seems like it.

To me, if I'm the GM, I just draft a big coverage D-back and make Smith coach him how to tackle better... He is supposed to be a great coach after all. All he needs is better talent, right?

Is it me or are the DBs drafted for the "Cover Who" pretty much slow but can tackle? So basically suck at man-to-man

That is the point of the cover 2. You don't need to invest in high draft picks to get a good cover 2 as the system is different and allows you to get away with lesser talent at certain spots. It is pretty ingenius cause you can find good cover 2 corners later in the draft.

1 WR

2 TE

3 S

3 OSL

4 QB

5 OT

Mad is right on three things:

1) Welcome to the board

2) OL is a much higher priority than TE, especially since Edwin Williams and Chris Spencer are not good.

3) A TE in the second would be a bad idea, and a waste of a draft pick for this team. Other positions are much higher need...like your picks in rounds 3-5.

That is the point of the cover 2. You don't need to invest in high draft picks to get a good cover 2 as the system is different and allows you to get away with lesser talent at certain spots. It is pretty ingenius cause you can find good cover 2 corners later in the draft.

You're right; it is pretty smart. It allows lesser DBs. The problem is, it requires a superior MLB, a dominant inside DT, and an intelligent FS. Without those three, there are massive, gaping holes all over the F'ing place because those two DBs aren't playing man; they're just sitting in a zone somewhere that the WRs can work around.

There's a reason why average QBs always seem to put up decent passing yards against this D. Brian Griese throwing for 400+ yards anyone?

You're right; it is pretty smart. It allows lesser DBs. The problem is, it requires a superior MLB, a dominant inside DT, and an intelligent FS. Without those three, there are massive, gaping holes all over the F'ing place because those two DBs aren't playing man; they're just sitting in a zone somewhere that the WRs can work around.

There's a reason why average QBs always seem to put up decent passing yards against this D. Brian Griese throwing for 400+ yards anyone?

I don't disagree. However, I'd argue that almost any successful pass defense truly requires a strong front four. You won't see many pass defenses which are successful without getting to the QB. The Bears seem to have an improving Front 4 with Melton looking like a nice looking tackle to go with Peppers and Paea has some potential. I still think I target WR and DE in FA (Mario Williams and another wideout). Getting both is a pipe dream but I'll go for it.

In round 1 I'm grabbing whatever LT falls to me. If the right one doesn't fall, I think I trade down and grab a guard. The good news for the Bears is about 4 of the top tackle candidates in the draft that were underclassmen went pro. This includes the Stanford guys, plus Riley Reif (Iowa), and USC's LT. I figure with all of these guys coming out, when you add in upperclassmen, the Bears might be in a spot where they can pick up a LT.

I dont think the new gm has to draft specifically to suit Lovie but he certainly should get players to compliment what we currently have. Whether Lovie was the coach or not Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Tillman are pro bowlers and excel in a base cover 2 defense so as long as we go after players who can play a 4-3 we should be fine.

We certainly have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball so I think how we draft completely depends on what we do in FA. I think first and foremost we need a number 1 wr and starting caliber OL in FA. After that see whats available and who you can get to fill some other holes and then draft BPA based on the remaining needs.

Our defense might be on the verge of being in shambles in a few years, but for the time being we could get by with getting one impact DL, could be either a DT or DE and then a starting safety, preferably FS, and then possibly a 2nd/3rd type corner. Now I know we have more needs and holes on defense but if you do those few upgrades our defense will certainly be good enough.

On offense we need 2 new wrs and should pencil in Bennett as the 2 or 3 and Hester as the 4. We need one of Bowe, Vjax, Colston, Stevie or Wayne (IMO in that order) and then can either use our first on another WR or go after another FA like Lloyd, Manningham, L. Robinson, Garcon, Plax or maybe Steve Smith PHI. I think we need to upgrade at TE but I dont think the urgency is there yet because we dont know what Davis can do with a new OC so he should be ok for another year unless something falls into our lap, maybe like Fred Davis. Then as I said we need to sign a starting OL, maybe 2 and then take a couple in the draft and try to develop them. Im good with Bell and McCown as backups for now.

It's also a huge reason we made the Superbowl. Those spots you mentioned, at the time, we had Urlacher in his prime, Tommie Harris when he was at his best, before the injury, and Mike Brown who quite possibly was one of if not the best safety in the league at the time.

Guest TerraTor

Terra for GM

January - Bring in Jeremy Bates as OL and QB Coach and as direct OC assistant with Mike Tice

March -

Sign Matt Forte to 4 year 38M

Sign Stevie Johnson (Bowe will all but guarantee carry a tag)

Sign OG Ben Grubbs

Sign S - Micheal Griffin

February -

1st: OLB Zack Brown

2nd: DE Andre Branch

3rd: CB Brandon Boykin (Bacarri Rambo if declares)

3rd: TE Ladarius Green

4th: OLB Keenan Robinson

5th: WR Jarius Wright

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this post, but it fun to see you taking Alshon in the 1st and Arthur Brown in the 4th, whom we might select this year. I was looking for last year's mocks to see how we did.