Bears looking at Ruskell

GakMan23

I think if this were the Bears intent we'd have heard much more about it from the day JA was fired. Instead this feels more like a courtesy consideration being extended by the family run Bears organization. I don't mind that aspect but they made a decision to get away from the JA organization because it hasn't worked and they should stick to that goal.

Yeah, but this also feel like the Martz hire too... Martz was mentioned first, then we went through the motions, only to hire Martz in the end.

We'll see. I just don't trust the brain trust to get it right. They've proven so far that they can't. This move can swing the tide in the other direction, but I need to see it to believe it.

I think if this were the Bears intent we'd have heard much more about it from the day JA was fired. Instead this feels more like a courtesy consideration being extended by the family run Bears organization. I don't mind that aspect but they made a decision to get away from the JA organization because it hasn't worked and they should stick to that goal.

I am not saying for one minute that Ruskell would be my 1st choice for GM, but just because he was brought in by Angelo and many on the forum wanted him "gone" that does not mean this guy is a total waste of consideration. He actually has a pretty damn good track record, much better than Angelo before he was given his maiden chance at a GM position.

Ruskell Bio from Chicago Bears Website

Not bad at all, and continuity is always good, especially if, as many of you say, Smith will only last 1 more year (I disagree)

Let's put it this way, if you are right and Smith will only last one more year, the replacements many of us would love to have come in would want combined HC/GM duties and by hiring Ruskell it would be no problem dumping him and giving someone, a high profile HC/GM, a contract.

If, on the other hand, you hired a high profile GM to a big contract and next year we wanted to replace Lovie, many of the best HC candidates with experience would not be hired for "financial" reasons because of big $$ due the GM hired. Hiring Ruskell would allow us the opportunity of hiring a big name HC/GM if warranted.

I get a kick out of the responses below the article:

chwtom says:

Oct 13, 2011 11:23 AM

Bears fan here…

Glad our incompetent GM Angelo hired the only guy in football with a worse record on first round picks to be his assistant.

Someday Bears fans will get their wish and Angelo will be fired. Please don’t let this be his in-house replacement.

I know there are only so many ways to measure performance for GM's and Player Director, etc, but more times than not the draft "prospect" doesn't work out. Also, it was not like Seattle had great first picks from 2005-2009. They had the 26th, 31st, 55th, 28th, and 4th picks during that window. For the 4th pick, they went with Aaron Curry who was a stud in college and was supposed to be the best player in the draft. Seattle got a steal at #4. He just didn't pan out.

At this point anyone with some GM experience will probably do a better job than JA. Also, if we do stay in house with Ruskell, it definitely makes it easier to clean house with Lovie included after next season if it doesn't work out.

I would honestly rather have Jerry Angelo than Tim Ruskell. I'd take virtually anyone with GM experience or not over that guy. The only reason they are even considering the guy is so they can all save their phony bologna jobs and save money. That and maybe because nobody that's actually qualified for the job doesn't want it because they really won't have any power.

At this point anyone with some GM experience will probably do a better job than JA.

Here I don't agree. Say what you want about JA when it comes to our drafts and some of his free agents but you could do a lot worse than Peppers (FA) and Cutler (trade). It isn't just "anyone" who can pull that off, particularly when you've got to consider it probably took a minor miracle to convince the McCaskey family they were worth the money. You need someone with a track record to 1. convince the FA you're viable and 2. get the approval internally.

Thus far I think the Bears have taken a step backwards but I hope they convince me otherwise real soon.

Sorry CrackerDog, but just about any GM could have pulled off Peppers, and a vast majority could have pulled off Cutler. We gave up a lot of loot for one, and a lot of picks for the other. Smith was actually a selling point for peppers, so in theory, any GM that was willing to spend could have gotten him for Smith I think. Also, given that Jay expressed interest in Chicago, any decent GM could have made it work...and in fact, maybe could have done it for cheaper... Let's not forget the high price we paid for the young man that passed away from Tampa. While there's really no way we could have seen the eventual passing, a vast majority of folks believe we gave up WAY to high of a pick for him.

The McCaskey's seem to trust anyone they hire. So if it were someone other than Angelo, they probably would have trusted him too. And I bet that it was Smith clammoring for help on the DLine and for a better QB that the McCaskey's really listened to!

Yes, in the grand scheme, I'm happy to give JA credit for those pick ups. He made them happen. But to say another GM couldn't have done it I think is stretching it...

Here I don't agree. Say what you want about JA when it comes to our drafts and some of his free agents but you could do a lot worse than Peppers (FA) and Cutler (trade). It isn't just "anyone" who can pull that off, particularly when you've got to consider it probably took a minor miracle to convince the McCaskey family they were worth the money. You need someone with a track record to 1. convince the FA you're viable and 2. get the approval internally.

Thus far I think the Bears have taken a step backwards but I hope they convince me otherwise real soon.