Phil Emery lead candidate

adam

Interesting. I honestly know very little about these guys other than what's in the press.

If he is the one, hopefully he's successful here. And hopefully he can bring Bowe in!

https://twitter.com/#!/caplannfl/status...489335177748480

Emery is currently with KC, so maybe that would give us the inside track on someone like Dwayne Bowe?

Interesting. I honestly know very little about these guys other than what's in the press.

If he is the one, hopefully he's successful here. And hopefully he can bring Bowe in!

He's only a lead b/c he has Chicago Bear connections. He worked for the Bears from 94-98. I'm not sure how I feel about him yet compared to Ross or Raye. Them two organizations impressed me, Chiefs....meh

Emery bio:

A 31-year football veteran, Phil Emery enters his 14th NFL campaign and his third as the Chiefs Director of College Scouting. He previously served in the same capacity for Atlanta from 2004-08 before working as a regional scout for Atlanta leading up to the 2009 draft. Emery was an area scout for Chicago (’98-04).

The Garden City, Michigan native served as the Director of Strength and Conditioning Services and as an Associate Professor at the U.S. Naval Academy from ’91-98. He was responsible for the development, administration and supervision of all strength and conditioning activities for 4,000 Midshipmen. In ’96, his program helped the football team to its first winning season in 15 years.

Emery joined the Naval Academy after serving as the assistant strength and conditioning coach at Tennessee (’87-91). Prior to joining the Volunteers, he served as the defensive line and strength and conditioning coach at Saginaw Valley State (’85-87). He also coached the defensive line at Georgetown College (’84-85) after serving as the offensive line and strength and conditioning coach at Western New Mexico (’82-84). Emery began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Central Michigan (’81-82) after serving as a student assistant at Wayne State.

Video with Emery: http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/video...4f-cfd6fb7051e7

Some of the notable draft picks of the teams he scouted for:

Atlanta Drafts

2004 - DeAngelo Hall, Michael Jenkins, Matt Schaub

2005 - Roddy White

2008 - Matt Ryan

2010 KC Draft - Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Tony Moeaki, Kendrick Lewis

I really like the 2010 draft. A lot of production from those guys.

He's only a lead b/c he has Chicago Bear connections. He worked for the Bears from 94-98. I'm not sure how I feel about him yet compared to Ross or Raye. Them two organizations impressed me, Chiefs....meh

I thought the same thing, but many key players for Atlanta were drafted when he was with them, and I really like KC's 2010 draft.

Once I heard that he worked with Ruskell and the Bears before, I don't want him anymore. Go with Ross, who's a young up and comer. But knowing the Bears, they like to save everybody's jobs so they'll go with Emery because he'll keep Donut man Ruskell.

Unfortunately, this is probablythe best we can hope for. The familiarity factor is a big plus to the higher ups. At least, this guy has been able to scout some talent in the drafts he has been a part of.

First it was "bring in a potentially great, young GM."

Then it was "bring in a guy who has great history of finding young players."

Now they do that, and it's "well, that's great and all, but he'll keep Ruskell." Who gives a damn? He'll be making personnel decisions, not Ruskell.

With a history of guys like Ryan, Hall, Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, White, Berry, etc, I'm not sure how anyone can HATE this move if he is the guy.

Now they do that, and it's "well, that's great and all, but he'll keep Ruskell." Who gives a damn? He'll be making personnel decisions, not Ruskell.

With a history of guys like Ryan, Hall, Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, White, Berry, etc, I'm not sure how anyone can HATE this move if he is the guy.

I prefer Ross but they all have hits and some misses. Just pick somebody before another one goes down.

So give Ruskell a pass because he wasnt making personnel decisions but give the credit to Emery for Ryan, Hall, Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, White, Berry, etc even though he also wasnt making personnel decisions? Got it

So give Ruskell a pass because he wasnt making personnel decisions but give the credit to Emery for Ryan, Hall, Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, White, Berry, etc even though he also wasnt making personnel decisions? Got it

#1- I never said Ruskell gets a pass. Pass for what? I said if they sign Emery and Ruskell stays, let's not act like it's a god awful move that will cripple the franchise for the rest of eternity.

#2- Emery was a scout who likely gave these players high praise which resulted in the Falcons and Chiefs drafting him. Are you sure he doesn't get any credit?

#1- I never said Ruskell gets a pass. Pass for what? I said if they sign Emery and Ruskell stays, let's not act like it's a god awful move that will cripple the franchise for the rest of eternity.

#2- Emery was a scout who likely gave these players high praise which resulted in the Falcons and Chiefs drafting him. Are you sure he doesn't get any credit?

No I have no idea what kind of hand he had in drafting those guys. I also wouldnt mind Emery as the GM. I was more playing devils advocate.

If he was the head of scouting, he likely gave those players drafted very high praise. I don't know why that's confusing.

Jensen suggested on the radio that Emery was--from the guys he talked to (coaches, GMs, team presidents)--the only one of the candidates who wasn't a great candidate. He is respected, but he wasn't on anyone's list. He COULD be great in this role, but it's fair to wonder why a guy who has been in scouting for 30 years never got an opportunity to move above that role. Maybe he didn't want it before, maybe he was overlooked, who knows. But the people running the search don't inspire a lot of confidence that they are going to outsmart the rest of the league.

Jensen suggested on the radio that Emery was--from the guys he talked to (coaches, GMs, team presidents)--the only one of the candidates who wasn't a great candidate. He is respected, but he wasn't on anyone's list. He COULD be great in this role, but it's fair to wonder why a guy who has been in scouting for 30 years never got an opportunity to move above that role. Maybe he didn't want it before, maybe he was overlooked, who knows. But the people running the search don't inspire a lot of confidence that they are going to outsmart the rest of the league.

Emery will most likely get the job because he's been with the Bears before and has worked with Tim Ruskell back in Atlanta. Ted Phillips objective is to save as many jobs as he can including himself. Emery would be the safe, easy hire that the Bears have become synonymous with for a number of years. But were also not really hiring a GM. We're hiring a player personnel director. A real GM gets to hire and fire his own coaches and actually has "real" power.