Mocks on NFL.com

Guest TerraTor

I would not mind DeCastro if Floyd is gone. If they both are gone at 19, I would almost trade down and pick up Jeffery, Sanu, or Glenn in the mid-20's. A swap to about 25 could net us another late 3rd round pick. We could then take 2x 3rd rounders and move into the 2nd round, giving us a 1st rounder, 2x 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder. That wouldn't be too bad of a haul.

If they get a #1 wr in free agency (Bowe, Jackson, etc) there is no way they draft a in the first couple of rounds.

Peace :dabears

Even if we pick up a top tier WR in Free Agency, I still believe WR is a need. Knox was our leading WR, and 2nd was Roy Williams, that is pretty sickening. We really could use a true #1 and #2. I would still go OL, WR, and DB in the first couple of rounds.

If Floyd is sitting there at #19, how could you pass that up? Bowe and Floyd as the #1 and #2? That would be sweet.

Even if we pick up a top tier WR in Free Agency, I still believe WR is a need. Knox was our leading WR, and 2nd was Roy Williams, that is pretty sickening. We really could use a true #1 and #2. I would still go OL, WR, and DB in the first couple of rounds.

If Floyd is sitting there at #19, how could you pass that up? Bowe and Floyd as the #1 and #2? That would be sweet.

They are paying Bennett 19 million over the next 4 years to be the #2.

Peace :dabears

I'm good with Floyd at #19 but if he's gone, and the top 3 OTs are gone, and DeCastro is there I think we have to take him. From everything I've read and heard about him it seems like he'll end up a perennial Pro Bowl player. When you have a chance to get a guy like that on your roster, even if it's not your top need, I think you have to do it. With him at LG we'd be strong on the Oline from LG to RT. (Yes, I like Lance Louis at RG) With one weakness (LT) it's easy to scheme and help that side out from either RB or TE. Plus Cutler is pretty good rolling out to his right side. In terms of the running game I think we'd be hard to stop and that also helps out the pass blocking.

Yes, they definitely need depth at WR and could fill that role in the draft, but it doesn't seem like a good use of a first round pick assuming the Bears fill the #1 spot in FA.

With Hester, Knox, and maybe Sanzenbacher taking up some reps ast he #3 WR, there's not going to be a ton of reps there for a #3 WR, especially if they get into the habit of using Knox and Hester to stretch the field. THat means they can put a 2nd or 3rd round pick there and use that spot as a way to get a guy onto the field and develop him.

If they spend a big pick on WR and sign one, then that tells me that Knox and Hester won't be seeing the WR position at all this year. The only reason you'd want 2 starting full time WR"s (aka a first round pick guaranteed guy) is if Knox isn't going to be back.

If we came away this offseason with Bowe and Floyd I wouldn't complain. We have so many options going into next year that we could completely revamp one of our weaknesses and make it one of our greatest strengths. We could go all in on receivers (Sign a guy, draft another) we could go all in on offensive line (Draft one, sign another) or we can pick and choose different spots and do a little of each (I.E Sign Nicks, draft Floyd.. or Sign Finley, Manningham, draft OL etc..) lots of options. I don't see how we could possibly screw this one up but this is the Bears we are talking about.

If we came away this offseason with Bowe and Floyd I wouldn't complain. We have so many options going into next year that we could completely revamp one of our weaknesses and make it one of our greatest strengths. We could go all in on receivers (Sign a guy, draft another) we could go all in on offensive line (Draft one, sign another) or we can pick and choose different spots and do a little of each (I.E Sign Nicks, draft Floyd.. or Sign Finley, Manningham, draft OL etc..) lots of options. I don't see how we could possibly screw this one up but this is the Bears we are talking about.

The one thing the Bears did definitely try to do last year was add at least 1 player to each position of need. They didn't all work out (Roy Williams) but they did try. Some of the positions of need have changed, some haven't. They definitely though need to make sure to add at least a player at a couple of these positions, and a few of them need to be starting quality.

Guest TerraTor

I'm with you. Id still take Floyd if we got a FA... All the others are terrible and Bennett isn't turning heads. I just dont see how a guard makes this team better.

I just feel like if WR or OL are the best available at #19, you take the player. I would hate to pass up on Floyd to reach for an Offensive Lineman who was not projected until the 2nd round just because OL is the greatest need at that point. You have to weigh value with need. If we do get Bowe or Jackson, then WR would be 2nd to OL as a need, but if we get someone like Nicks, then the needs are similar. I would then take best available of any of the top needs, even if that was not OL or WR at that point (maybe DB or DL).

I just hate passing on skill position players.

At 19, you have to take the best player available, offensive or defensive. Example: if Dre Kirkpatrick falls to the Bears because of his marijuana arrest, they have to take him, because he's a cover corner and a hard hitter, and Tillman is old and Jennings is a FA. If Riley Reiff falls to them and they think he can be an NFL LT, take him, because Webb blows. If Devon Still falls to them, take him, because he is a freak on the DL and can play DT or DE.

I'd like to think they'll do enough in FA where drafting a WR won't be necessary (signing Jackson OR Bowe, and then Manningham OR Meachem). This way, they can go OG, CB, DT, LB, and DE (in no particular order) with their first 5 picks.

If not, I agree with B4E34. They could also go all in on Nicks, and then sign Manningham and draft Floyd. They have a lot of cap and I hope they can sign a few good, young players so the draft isn't a "must hit on their first 4 picks" type of draft.

Guest TerraTor
At 19, you have to take the best player available, offensive or defensive. Example: if Dre Kirkpatrick falls to the Bears because of his marijuana arrest, they have to take him, because he's a cover corner and a hard hitter, and Tillman is old and Jennings is a FA. If Riley Reiff falls to them and they think he can be an NFL LT, take him, because Webb blows. If Devon Still falls to them, take him, because he is a freak on the DL and can play DT or DE.

I'd like to think they'll do enough in FA where drafting a WR won't be necessary (signing Jackson OR Bowe, and then Manningham OR Meachem). This way, they can go OG, CB, DT, LB, and DE (in no particular order) with their first 5 picks.

If not, I agree with B4E34. They could also go all in on Nicks, and then sign Manningham and draft Floyd. They have a lot of cap and I hope they can sign a few good, young players so the draft isn't a "must hit on their first 4 picks" type of draft.

What do u mean Nicks?

Also, when Chris Williams and Lance Louis were our guards was the best our o line has looked in years. Its always great to upgrade/add depth to your o line but we currently have 4-5 guys who can play guard, 2 of whom looked pretty impressive at times last year, and then at tackle all we really have is the hopes that Carimi can be a contributor. I obviously would love to have Nicks on the team as a luxury and DeCastro could be a good player but our need on the o line is so much worse at tackle that it has to be addressed before we try to upgrade an already capable corps of guards, especially at LT.

Also, when Chris Williams and Lance Louis were our guards was the best our o line has looked in years. Its always great to upgrade/add depth to your o line but we currently have 4-5 guys who can play guard, 2 of whom looked pretty impressive at times last year, and then at tackle all we really have is the hopes that Carimi can be a contributor. I obviously would love to have Nicks on the team as a luxury and DeCastro could be a good player but our need on the o line is so much worse at tackle that it has to be addressed before we try to upgrade an already capable corps of guards, especially at LT.

Agreed, we don't need an OG as much as other areas. IMO - with the addition of one good tackle, our OL will be a pleasant surprise next season. We are in an inviable position of having a ton of cap space next season. I'm thinking we can re-sign our current players, add 3 new starters and have a nice draft. It is imperative that we sign a top FA WR to provide flexibility on draft day and get instant production. That way if a top CB or DE is availible, we dont choose need over a great prospect of a smaller need.

It is possible. I would be shocked if Floyd was actually there at 19. I don't see how teams pass on his talent when there are quite a few teams out there like us, that need receiver help. Philly might even be inclined to take one if they don't plan on resigning Desean Jackson, and you have to think New York might need a guy like Floyd to help out Sanchez.

You really thing 2x WR's will go in the top 10? I highly doubt that.

2 WR's went in the top 6 picks last year, and hten a 3rd didn't go off the board until 26. If these guys come out of the combine with mid first round grades, I doubt they drop. WR is always a position of need for teams trying to develop an offense.

Edit: But if one of them has a bad workout or tweaks an ankle or something, that could be all it takes to push them into the 20's.

http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m-footb..._vontaze00.html

I just wanted to get this message somewhere on this board that Vontaze Burfict is a guy I pray the Bears look at should they deal Briggs and sign a #1 WR in FA.

I saw him in person in Madison last year (Fall of 2010) when he was a Soph. He's the best defensive player I've ever seen on the collegiate level....he would fit Chicago's LB tradition like a glove.

http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m-footb..._vontaze00.html

I just wanted to get this message somewhere on this board that Vontaze Burfict is a guy I pray the Bears look at should they deal Briggs and sign a #1 WR in FA.

I saw him in person in Madison last year (Fall of 2010) when he was a Soph. He's the best defensive player I've ever seen on the collegiate level....he would fit Chicago's LB tradition like a glove.

He's only an ILB and seeing how we are going to have Urlacher there for atleast 2-3 more seasons, drafting him in the 1st round would be a waste. I think he goes to Detroit to make them the dirtiest team of all time.

2 WR's went in the top 6 picks last year, and hten a 3rd didn't go off the board until 26. If these guys come out of the combine with mid first round grades, I doubt they drop. WR is always a position of need for teams trying to develop an offense.

Edit: But if one of them has a bad workout or tweaks an ankle or something, that could be all it takes to push them into the 20's.

I am not saying it is not possible, but there are a lot of higher rated players before Floyd.