Jeremy Bates hired as QB Coach

Cutsizzle

Theme of the off-season should be:

GIVE JAY WHAT HE WANTS!

1 stud WR

1 complimentary WR

1 improved OL

And throw Smith a bone and get a pass rusher.

I'm very excited the Bears finally came to their senses and brought in Bates to be Cut's QB coach. I certainly understand why they're apprehensive about doing so in regards that Bates could very well be gone next year should Cutler have a great year....that is something to think about. However, I'm thrilled with this choice.

In regards to your list- I certainly agree with getting a #1WR and exhausting every possible avenue to do it. If Bowe isn't franchised (I would lean towards them not tagging him, but I really don't know) then Bowe would fill that role.

As far as getting a complimentary WR- I'd say we don't need another WR if we got someone like Bowe. Earl could very easily be that complimentary guy and he should be as he is about to be paid like it. This is where Hester could really excel playing in the slot in his true role as a #3 as we could match him up against safeties or nickel coverages and he could actually get some separation which is imperative for him to catch anything.

I'm hoping the Bears improve the OL, but I'm not sure major overhaul is needed as play improved as the season went along. Add Carimi back to the mix along with perhaps another 1st Rounder with LT capability (whether that's possible or not without trading up we'll see) and I'd be very happy with the OL coming into next season.

What I'm really holding out for the Bears to do is make as big of a push for Jermichael Finley as they can. I realize two big FA splashes are extremely unlikely....but they lack playmaking over the middle of the field more than I've ever seen any team lack it to where they need to do something like this.

In regards to the defense- they can have the rest of the draft for all I care after RD1 if it were to fall that way.

Since when do you talk to the people in the Bears FO? The only way people would hear about ANYTHING the people in the FO said would be by reading, get ready for it......something published or reported by a reporter. Oh and here is one of the many articles out there that were exactly stating he wasn't going to be considered due to the snub before.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2012/1/13...to-jeremy-bates

In regards to you hearing about some sort of communication issue with Angelo being the reason JUST came out after they hired him and was stated in the Tribune article about it. They tried to go different directions and noone else wanted a position where they might be replaced with the whole coaching staff next year or they were given assistant coach status as well.

I don't, but i'm not going to buy off on everything based upon what the windycitygridiron says. I don't think the Bears had decided they didn't want him. I do think they decided there were other guys they wanted first. They aimed high and missed and got a guy that I think they knew would be out there. I hope it works better than the last time they did this (e.g., when they hired Martz).

Who really knows what took so long getting Bates. The Bears like being secretive, so they could have been eyeing him the whole time.

I still think we need s complimentary WR. I don't expect Knox to return, and don't expect a thing from Roy Williams. Whether that "complimentary" WR is a draft pick or a FA, I think we need something. It need not be a stud, just a good WR. I personally don't want to see Hester there unless it's just once in a while to go deep. He's not reliable enough. I want guys that Jay can rely on. Bennett is that guy though.

Don't tell jason you don't think OL should be upgraded! ;) I would like to see an upgrade to Webb. Or at least an attempt. At worse, we get a solid back-up that can send Omiyale to the unemployment line.

I'm very excited the Bears finally came to their senses and brought in Bates to be Cut's QB coach. I certainly understand why they're apprehensive about doing so in regards that Bates could very well be gone next year should Cutler have a great year....that is something to think about. However, I'm thrilled with this choice.

In regards to your list- I certainly agree with getting a #1WR and exhausting every possible avenue to do it. If Bowe isn't franchised (I would lean towards them not tagging him, but I really don't know) then Bowe would fill that role.

As far as getting a complimentary WR- I'd say we don't need another WR if we got someone like Bowe. Earl could very easily be that complimentary guy and he should be as he is about to be paid like it. This is where Hester could really excel playing in the slot in his true role as a #3 as we could match him up against safeties or nickel coverages and he could actually get some separation which is imperative for him to catch anything.

I'm hoping the Bears improve the OL, but I'm not sure major overhaul is needed as play improved as the season went along. Add Carimi back to the mix along with perhaps another 1st Rounder with LT capability (whether that's possible or not without trading up we'll see) and I'd be very happy with the OL coming into next season.

What I'm really holding out for the Bears to do is make as big of a push for Jermichael Finley as they can. I realize two big FA splashes are extremely unlikely....but they lack playmaking over the middle of the field more than I've ever seen any team lack it to where they need to do something like this.

In regards to the defense- they can have the rest of the draft for all I care after RD1 if it were to fall that way.

I agree.

I love Forte, but he has his issues. And the biggest one is he can't pick up tough yards especially near the goal line. I think he's franchised.

Does anyone know when the true number will be released??

Some may not like this idea, im not sure i do either but just putting it out there.

If the Bears dont resign Forte could they then go for Mario Williams and a stud WR and then draft a RB in the early rounds??

They say it is easier to find a good RB in the draft then a WR and DE that can produce early on.

Look, I realize you're on board with improving the OL, but can we quit with this revisionist history BS already? How many times does it have to be proven that the OL is still a major flaw? They unequivocally did not improve enough or consistently perform well enough to be put on the back burner. However you want to try to prove it, the deed has already been done. We've run this course numerous times already on this board. It's nonsense to believe OL isn't at worst need 1B, and in my opinion 1A.

As it stands now, LT is a mess with Webb, C is a position of need because Garza doesn't have a ton of time and the staff appears to not trust Spencer enough to start him, Louis is at best underwhelming at RG, and Carimi/Williams are both injury concerns. Please, enough with this nonsense that they were doing well. Improving during the winning streak, yes...but that's because they were atrocious before that, and there wasn't anything else to do other than get better. They actually regressed after the winning streak and finished the season as one of the worst OLs in the NFL.

Make no mistake, an overhaul is still needed.

And MadLith, I saw your post. :headbang

I don't, but i'm not going to buy off on everything based upon what the windycitygridiron says. I don't think the Bears had decided they didn't want him. I do think they decided there were other guys they wanted first. They aimed high and missed and got a guy that I think they knew would be out there. I hope it works better than the last time they did this (e.g., when they hired Martz).

Ah so it is only valid information from reporters if you agree with it. Glad we could clear that up. :)

:cheers

Look, I realize you're on board with improving the OL, but can we quit with this revisionist history BS already? How many times does it have to be proven that the OL is still a major flaw? They unequivocally did not improve enough or consistently perform well enough to be put on the back burner. However you want to try to prove it, the deed has already been done. We've run this course numerous times already on this board. It's nonsense to believe OL isn't at worst need 1B, and in my opinion 1A.

As it stands now, LT is a mess with Webb, C is a position of need because Garza doesn't have a ton of time and the staff appears to not trust Spencer enough to start him, Louis is at best underwhelming at RG, and Carimi/Williams are both injury concerns. Please, enough with this nonsense that they were doing well. Improving during the winning streak, yes...but that's because they were atrocious before that, and there wasn't anything else to do other than get better. They actually regressed after the winning streak and finished the season as one of the worst OLs in the NFL.

Most emphatically YES! to all of the above.

Ah so it is only valid information from reporters if you agree with it. Glad we could clear that up. :)

No. I just don't consider a blog a fully authoritative source for information. Ocassionally blogs can get things right (and I own a huge blog so I'm not anti blog's) but I'm not about to say that they are authoritative when they stand on their own.

Does anyone know when the true number will be released??

Some may not like this idea, im not sure i do either but just putting it out there.

If the Bears dont resign Forte could they then go for Mario Williams and a stud WR and then draft a RB in the early rounds??

They say it is easier to find a good RB in the draft then a WR and DE that can produce early on.

Prior to the lockout I thought the NFL financial year started in March and that is when a lot of roster bonuses are paid out so between now and then you will see the veterans cut that are due a big number. Probably then you will start seeing cap money speculation.

No. I just don't consider a blog a fully authoritative source for information. Ocassionally blogs can get things right (and I own a huge blog so I'm not anti blog's) but I'm not about to say that they are authoritative when they stand on their own.

Did you even read my original response to you completely? I stated that that article was one of many. The first place I read about it was in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01...yde-christensen

"Ex-Seahawks offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, Cutler's quarterbacks coach in Denver, will not be considered for the position." This was per Vaughn McClure. Thank you drive thru