Isn't McClellin just a situational pass rusher?

bradjock

They just had his press conference on the SCORE and he talked about playing all phases of special teams.

Boers and Bernstein commented that he looks like a linebacker.

Hub Arkush commented on a rumor that he might be Urlacher's eventual replacement.

Here's how I look at it: One of our greatest areas of need was a situational pass rusher. We haven't had that since Mark Anderson's rookie year. In his rookie year, if he can fill that role, ratchet up double-digit sacks, won't that be pretty damn good?

They just had his press conference on the SCORE and he talked about playing all phases of special teams.

Boers and Bernstein commented that he looks like a linebacker.

Hub Arkush commented on a rumor that he might be Urlacher's eventual replacement.

Here's how I look at it: One of our greatest areas of need was a situational pass rusher. We haven't had that since Mark Anderson's rookie year. In his rookie year, if he can fill that role, ratchet up double-digit sacks, won't that be pretty damn good?

I think the term "situational" is a bit misleading. Perhaps in nickel sets is better. However if you think about the passing games we face, especially the Packers, he is going to be able to get after the QB, quite a bit.

I think the term "situational" is a bit misleading. Perhaps in nickel sets is better. However if you think about the passing games we face, especially the Packers, he is going to be able to get after the QB, quite a bit.

I think they will try to make him stronger, then will start, and will be a situational pass rusher to start out with. We have all these opinions and he could turn to be a very good player. Emerys strong suit is drafting and if this doesnt turn out, we can burn him. Being a Bear fan I want it to be a good pick and I will remain positive about it until it proves otherwise. I also think down the road he could be the next big thing at MLB when Urlacher is done and be there 10 years. Right all he has to do is get 8 to 10 sacks and everybody will be happy.

One thing I NEVER want to hear out of a GM's mouth when talking about a 1st round pick is that they are a great special teams player. I know it was somewhat of a throwaway comment but come on. We're really going to spend time on a guys special teams skills with the 19th pick in the NFL draft? He should be a guy that starts from day 1 of the draft and makes an immediate impact.

The Hub comments were interesting. I generally pay no mind to what he has to say but I can't help but agree with him on his comments about McClellin. He mentioned that a source close to the organization told him he thinks they envision McClellin actually as more of an inside LB in a 3-4 as opposed to playing on the outside. I found that particularly interesting. I personally believe that Emery is confident that Shea can play DE in a 4-3 scheme but I think he's more confident that he will be better served in a 3-4 scheme. It's food for thought.

One thing I NEVER want to hear out of a GM's mouth when talking about a 1st round pick is that they are a great special teams player. I know it was somewhat of a throwaway comment but come on. We're really going to spend time on a guys special teams skills with the 19th pick in the NFL draft? He should be a guy that starts from day 1 of the draft and makes an immediate impact.

The Hub comments were interesting. I generally pay no mind to what he has to say but I can't help but agree with him on his comments about McClellin. He mentioned that a source close to the organization told him he thinks they envision McClellin actually as more of an inside LB in a 3-4 as opposed to playing on the outside. I found that particularly interesting. I personally believe that Emery is confident that Shea can play DE in a 4-3 scheme but I think he's more confident that he will be better served in a 3-4 scheme. It's food for thought.

The kid talking about being a special teams player, is just him answering ?s in a positive way , has nothing to do what the Bears expect of him.

The kid talking about being a special teams player, is just him answering ?s in a positive way , has nothing to do what the Bears expect of him.

I'm not talking about the kid, I'm talking about Emery bringing up McClellin's special teams skills as if they expected him to play special teams after being picked 19th overall in the NFL Draft or that it actually meant something in the evaluation process.

I think he will be an every down DE and will never see special teams duty. I also do not believe any conspiracy theory that he was drafted as a LB for a 3-4 in anticipation of Lovies departure. Sorry, but I do not think Lovie will go anywhere after we win the SB this year!

I think he will be an every down DE and will never see special teams duty. I also do not believe any conspiracy theory that he was drafted as a LB for a 3-4 in anticipation of Lovies departure. Sorry, but I do not think Lovie will go anywhere after we win the SB this year!

haha, that's what I am talking about!!!!!

One name comes to mind: Danieal Manning. Granted he was not a "1st round pick" but he was the Bears "first pick" in 2006. His niche' was Special Teams (listed as a DB). Didn't do bad as a ST'er in Chicago. Although it wasn't until he got to Houston before his other "talents" started to show.

Anyhow, I agree in principle that the 1st round pick shouldn't be for a ST player. What's to say that when Emery said that he actually meant that the player might see action on Special Teams in addition to learning his eventual permanent role? Don't want to show your hand too early.

We keep trying to compare McClellin to different players. Is he comparable to Osi Umeniora from the Giants (I know I botched the spelling of his name).

We keep trying to compare McClellin to different players. Is he comparable to Osi Umeniora from the Giants (I know I botched the spelling of his name).

I forgot about him. That may be comparable, but I think they are different players in terms of style. I don't feel like Osi is the high motor guy that McClellin seems to be. I brought up Jason Babin before. Similar height/weight, style of play, small school. Unfortunately, for McCellin's sake, I hope it doesn't take him 6 seasons to start producing like it did for Babin, who was the 27th pick in the draft back in 04. Close to where McCellin was projected to go.