Bears' fulltime journalists

jason

Every time I read one of Larry Mayer's pieces on the officials site I get irritated. If there were ever a bigger brown nose I've yet to see it. This guy thinks everything is great all the time, thinks there are no holes on the team, and whenever possible chooses his words in such a way as to give the staff and management a way to weasel out. So, it got me to thinking about other Chicago journalists, and I know a lot of people don't like Mariotti, but which one do you hate reading?

I don't hate any, to be honest. Jensen is really good, Biggs asks tough questions, JD is decent, Wright and McClure break a lot of stories, etc.

Every time I read one of Larry Mayer's pieces on the officials site I get irritated. If there were ever a bigger brown nose I've yet to see it. This guy thinks everything is great all the time, thinks there are no holes on the team, and whenever possible chooses his words in such a way as to give the staff and management a way to weasel out. So, it got me to thinking about other Chicago journalists, and I know a lot of people don't like Mariotti, but which one do you hate reading?

Mayer works for the Bears. He'll never say a bad thing about a player, coach, or front office rep as long as they're signing his checks.

I honestly don't even read anything on the official site knowing that it's all just PR and not true reporting.

Right now, the guy I'm most irritated with is Pompei. He either plays the company man or the Mariotti stance. He doesn't seem to have a true foundation. I used to like him, but now I find I can't trust him for anything.

On the flip side, I like Biggs the best. Just the facts pretty much...

Dan Pompei is one who I would call a simpleton. I can't say I'd ever accuse him of ever having that many good football thoughts.

EDIT: Yeah, Pompei is a stroke. I forgot about him. His piece on Cutler a few months ago was awful. He incorporated Cutler's "lack of leadership" with latin quotes or some s***. Horrible.

I remember back a few year ago when Hub Arkush was considered similar to Larry Mayer and now that he got launched he has been very critical of most of the Bears personnel moves be it draft or FA signings. I didn't like him when he brown-nosed and I don't like him now because he is such a wind sock.

I remember back a few year ago when Hub Arkush was considered similar to Larry Mayer and now that he got launched he has been very critical of most of the Bears personnel moves be it draft or FA signings. I didn't like him when he brown-nosed and I don't like him now because he is such a wind sock.

Ditto. Hub's a tool.

Ditto. Hub's a tool.

Agreed LT it seems now he goes out of his way to trash the Bears and to be honest het tries to take a lot of credit for the sucess of Pro Football Weekly but, I know that the late Joel Buschbaum had a big part in the initial success of that publication. I remember back in '97 getting a copy of the draft guide produced here in Chicago locally from a bindery that was putting the guide together from the shipping and recieving guy.Joel Buschbaum's name was all over it and not Hub's. BTW I used it to look up the likes of a late round pick out of Soth Carolina St. Marcus Robinson the last time the Bears picked a WR with today's coveted size that made an impact on the team.

Hub was highly critical of Cutler and Marshall being out late the night at a downtown club after Marshall was acquired. He claimed that Marshall just had an incident at an NYC nightclub, and this showed how Cutler truly doesn't care about what's in the best interest of the Bears but instead does stuff for himself.

That is such BS. Cutler went out with Marshall, in a VIP area, by themselves to talk football. I don't know why this is such a big issue for Hub.

Hub was highly critical of Cutler and Marshall being out late the night at a downtown club after Marshall was acquired. He claimed that Marshall just had an incident at an NYC nightclub, and this showed how Cutler truly doesn't care about what's in the best interest of the Bears but instead does stuff for himself.

That is such BS. Cutler went out with Marshall, in a VIP area, by themselves to talk football. I don't know why this is such a big issue for Hub.

I listen to the SCORE a lot and all these guys are on there, and they all have good and bad points, but I do think Biggs does a good job, he doesnt color anything and does ask the tough questions. I dont hate any of them. Zac Z. is quite the suck up.

Every time I read one of Larry Mayer's pieces on the officials site I get irritated. ... This guy thinks everything is great all the time, ....

This made me laugh out loud, because it's true. But you know, I think it's often interesting to see what the official Chicago Bear news slant is, and we can reliably get it from Larry. Plus, he has the advantage of more access to Bears personnel, so I imagine he's a good source on neutral-type things (i.e., things that don't involve criticism or praise of the Bears).

He also has no true sources and half of his rumors are made up garbage. I've also heard he's a prick to people, as in if he's approached in public.

He talks up a good game, but any of us could do his job.

I think he is a full of himself, but why do you say he doesnt have any sources? Being PFW, that is a decent publication, dont always agree with articles but find in a good source of info. They are tied to all teams and Nolan is not as sharp as Joel B. use to be, but has interesting info.There are many times they reported information before any one else, and that includes PFT. I am not saying it is the best source but it is talking about football, and the Bears and I find valve in that, no matter whether I agree with info or not. Sources are just contacts and they have many, to say they make stuff up, isnt a true statement. Rumors are rumors, they all have them.

Met Hub at training camp in Platteville around 2000. My friend and I talked with him for about 15 minutes while we watching the team plactice. He was actually very nice. I agree, however, since being launched by the Bears he has been negative about the team.

I always hated Skip Bayless.

Peace :dabears

I don't like Hub either, but I respect and like him more than Mayer. I hate brown-nosers. If his job is to report on the Bears, he should do so as impartially as possible, regardless of whether or not the team is signing his paycheck. Tice could start Cutler at LT and Mayer would back it up while touting Tice's abilities as an OL "guru."

I think he is a full of himself, but why do you say he doesnt have any sources? Being PFW, that is a decent publication, dont always agree with articles but find in a good source of info. They are tied to all teams and Nolan is not as sharp as Joel B. use to be, but has interesting info.There are many times they reported information before any one else, and that includes PFT. I am not saying it is the best source but it is talking about football, and the Bears and I find valve in that, no matter whether I agree with info or not. Sources are just contacts and they have many, to say they make stuff up, isnt a true statement. Rumors are rumors, they all have them.

Has Hub ever broken a story? Has he ever talked about something and then it happened, such as a possible trade or signing? Has he ever told us something we didn't know?

No, no, and no.

That's what I mean by "doesn't have any sources."

Speaking of the devil, here's this gem from Dan Pompei's latest article clamoring for the Bears to sign Tommie Harris, based on this premise.

He played in 13 games last season for the Chargers as a nickel rusher. He had three sacks, which is more than either Paea or Toeaina. According to Pro Football Focus, he had 10 quarterback pressures, which was four more than Toeaina, and five more than Paea.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,6970625.column