Colts @ Bears, 9/9/12

balta1701-A

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall it's hard to be upset with a 20 point win where the Bears score over 40. The WRs looked good. The pass protection was very good. Rodriguez had some great blocks. The play-calling was mostly what I'd like to see. Shea Mac had some good energy. Jeffery looked explosive. And Marshall was all the #1 we've heard about.

But if I had to pick things out that the Bears need to work on:

1) Cutler needs to stop staring down and/or forcing it to Marshall.

1a) The TEs need to be more involved

2) Lovie Smith still needs a "challenge replay" assistant. I knew he'd screw the pooch after throwing the first flag successfully.

3) There was a stretch from the middle of the third to the middle of the fourth where the Bears took their foot off the gas. This is Lovie Smith's M.O. and he needs to get over it. With the weapons the Bears have, the offense shsould be full throttle.

4) Along the lines of #3, please stop with the prevent defense. Everyone hates it, and it almost never works. Luck's TD doesn't happen if not for the soft defense.

5) More pass rush. There was nearly none in the second half.

Overall, however, great game. Superb start to the season.

Overall it's hard to be upset with a 20 point win where the Bears score over 40. The WRs looked good. The pass protection was very good. Rodriguez had some great blocks. The play-calling was mostly what I'd like to see. Shea Mac had some good energy. Jeffery looked explosive. And Marshall was all the #1 we've heard about.

2) Lovie Smith still needs a "challenge replay" assistant. I knew he'd screw the pooch after throwing the first flag successfully.

3) There was a stretch from the middle of the third to the middle of the fourth where the Bears took their foot off the gas. This is Lovie Smith's M.O. and he needs to get over it. With the weapons the Bears have, the offense shsould be full throttle.

4) Along the lines of #3, please stop with the prevent defense. Everyone hates it, and it almost never works. Luck's TD doesn't happen if not for the soft defense.

Lovie is no Bill Belichik. In that I mean just because you COULD run up the score doesn't mean you SHOULD. That and I think Lovie was trying to rest his starters (especially URL) with the short week ahead. Nothing wrong with what Lovie did. Class play. Even the second challenge was legit. Marshall was probably convinced he had the 1st and Lovie went with it. Besides nothing really of value lost at that point. Overall, satisfying win. Will it be good enough for Thursday?

Lovie is no Bill Belichik. In that I mean just because you COULD run up the score doesn't mean you SHOULD. That and I think Lovie was trying to rest his starters (especially URL) with the short week ahead. Nothing wrong with what Lovie did. Class play. Even the second challenge was legit. Marshall was probably convinced he had the 1st and Lovie went with it. Besides nothing really of value lost at that point. Overall, satisfying win. Will it be good enough for Thursday?

I liked the resting of Urlacher, but in terms of stepping on another team's neck, I prefer Belichik's approach. With the way the Bears' prevent works, it's inevitable that the other team will score. Twenty points is just not comfortable enough in my opinion to start relaxing in the middle of the third quarter (I had no problem with it in the last 5 or so minutes of the 4th quarter).

I don't think up by 20 in the middle of the third would be running up the score if the Bears were to score again. In fact, I know it wouldn't. That's still a losable game. I'm glad we rested Urlacher though. EDIT: jason and I both replied at about the same time...saying about the same thing.

It was a good day. I was trying to not let my expectations get too high on our WRs so that I wouldn't be too dissapointed if things didn't work out, but today was everything we could have wanted.

I agree with the sentiment about not keeping the gas down. With us going into that prevent (you from winning) defense giving the colts easy drives, one of which came up empty with the missed chip shot FG. They score a TD on that drive it's a closer game with momentum coming out at the second half. You cannot shut it down and go into autopilot in the 3rd Quarter unless you are up by an insurmountable amount. You run a huge risk because if you do this that early and let them back in the game you have gear it up again and you've played yourself out of that rhythm you had to build that lead. up 20+ half way through the 4th maybe but against good teams this year this kinda philosophy could lose us games we had in the bag. When you are up on someone stomp on them and make sure when you put it in auto pilot you better be sure you have it in the bag baring a miracle comeback. I absolutely hate the prevent... do what you did to put the opponent in the hole.

1. Agreed, but I wonder how much is just first game jitters and wanting to make a connection.

1a. Agreed...but there appears to be hope. The ball was spread around a bit.

2. Seriously...someone needs to take the flag out of his control

3. Bingo!

4. E Gad! SF did the same thing and nearly lost their game doing it!

5. Any would be nice. I'm being hard, but we did not do a good job getting to the QB

I'll take the nice stress free win any day!

I'm very worried about GB...they will be itching to make up for the loss today and we desperately need a pass rush to have a chance.

But kudos to the Bears regardless!