That loss is on the D and coaches

madlithuanian

Cutler and the O did their job. The D failed us for 2 very long drives. In fact, Pepper may have caused the loss with his bonehead offsides when we had SEA at their own 10. However, Smith and Tice botching the 4th and short...was the 3 points we needed to win.

Between the D and coaches...this loss is on them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with you on this to a degree. Not completely sure on the offense not being of some blame except for Cutler and maybe Marshall as well. To many dropped passes, no running game initially so to speak and let's not mention how bad the play calling was as well. 4th and 1 roughly without a conversion is not acceptable ever. Defense again got beat up pretty well by a rookie who some how picked apart to a degree the Cover-2 or what ever it was Smith was supposedly having his team run on defense. Losing Jennings hurt as well however. dump personal fouls and such and according to some after the game, they were not prepared once again. That definitely falls on Smith and his so called staff.

I hear ya. Although, some of the running issues I think are on the O Line, scheme, and lack of FB... Really, other than Cutler and Marshall, everyone deserved to lose. (FYI - we have no TE's...)

Agreed...defensively and offensively...poor coaching decisions did us in. Injuries happen to everyone. Great teams figure ways to win, not-so-great teams...ways to lose.

Sadly, our D and special teams have been a let down recently. Usual elements we've come to rely on are now failing us. It treuly may down to Cutler/Marshall heroics than ever before. And from what I've been seeing...I hope those 2 are on their own page, and not the coaches' one... We are paying scared, and trying not to lose. Sure fire ways to lose...

Totally agree with you on this to a degree. Not completely sure on the offense not being of some blame except for Cutler and maybe Marshall as well. To many dropped passes, no running game initially so to speak and let's not mention how bad the play calling was as well. 4th and 1 roughly without a conversion is not acceptable ever. Defense again got beat up pretty well by a rookie who some how picked apart to a degree the Cover-2 or what ever it was Smith was supposedly having his team run on defense. Losing Jennings hurt as well however. dump personal fouls and such and according to some after the game, they were not prepared once again. That definitely falls on Smith and his so called staff.

Totally agree with you on this to a degree.

That made me laugh out loud.

Not completely sure on the offense not being of some blame except for Cutler and maybe Marshall as well. To many dropped passes, no running game initially so to speak and let's not mention how bad the play calling was as well. 4th and 1 roughly without a conversion is not acceptable ever. Defense again got beat up pretty well by a rookie who some how picked apart to a degree the Cover-2 or what ever it was Smith was supposedly having his team run on defense. Losing Jennings hurt as well however. dump personal fouls and such and according to some after the game, they were not prepared once again. That definitely falls on Smith and his so called staff.

The run game was a bust. Forte is not good between the tackles, and it showed tonight. He's actually a better pass catcher than he is a runner for his position, yet he's been completely ignored in that area all season. They did get him a TD today via the pass, but that's the only time I can recall him catching a pass as a receiver. Our screen game isn't very good either. Losing Lance Louis especially hurts in this area because of his athleticism to get out and block in space.

The defense couldn't get off the field. Russell Wilson killed them with his legs on 3rd downs. Seemed like he was always picking up 1st downs. Idonije had one of his worst games. I don't know what the hell he was seeing out there today-- cutting inside on an obvious roll out situation that wound up being a crucial 3rd down pickup late in the game. He's so damn slow. Can't wait for someone else to take his place next year.

I didn't think the play calling offensively was that bad today, to be honest. I liked it, for the most part. I thought Tice did a good job calling a safe gameplan with the offensive line, and getting him outside the pocket at times. I only wish he would start using Forte more as a receiver.

Sorry, but Tice's 3rd and long draws were give up fails... Maybe one. But 2? Same result. 2 yard gain. When Cutler and Marshall are doing amazing things, why not try...? We played it too safe. And when you play not to lose, you usually end up doing so.

That made me laugh out loud.

The run game was a bust. Forte is not good between the tackles, and it showed tonight. He's actually a better pass catcher than he is a runner for his position, yet he's been completely ignored in that area all season. They did get him a TD today via the pass, but that's the only time I can recall him catching a pass as a receiver. Our screen game isn't very good either. Losing Lance Louis especially hurts in this area because of his athleticism to get out and block in space.

The defense couldn't get off the field. Russell Wilson killed them with his legs on 3rd downs. Seemed like he was always picking up 1st downs. Idonije had one of his worst games. I don't know what the hell he was seeing out there today-- cutting inside on an obvious roll out situation that wound up being a crucial 3rd down pickup late in the game. He's so damn slow. Can't wait for someone else to take his place next year.

I didn't think the play calling offensively was that bad today, to be honest. I liked it, for the most part. I thought Tice did a good job calling a safe gameplan with the offensive line, and getting him outside the pocket at times. I only wish he would start using Forte more as a receiver.

Cutler and the O did their job. The D failed us for 2 very long drives. In fact, Pepper may have caused the loss with his bonehead offsides when we had SEA at their own 10. However, Smith and Tice botching the 4th and short...was the 3 points we needed to win.

Between the D and coaches...this loss is on them.

I just have to say, the 4th and short...that end of the field. You almost always have to try. The fans wanted it, heck most of us did I would bet. 9 times out of ten Bush converts those. Had he converted, would we be praising the coaches? Had the team instead kicked the FG, how many here would have asked "what if" and perhaps been upset that they hadn't? "Hindsight is always 20/20".

Things that killed the team today (just to name a few); no Jeffery, injuries are mounting, Fortes inability to run between the Tackles, Bennets drop (I swear at least one receiver has done that the last few weeks), and the Defense really showed its age. Like the announcer (Tim Ryan) said, that last drive (of Seattle) before the end of regulation, really sapped their strength. They have been playing at a high level all season it was only a matter of time.

Sorry, but Tice's 3rd and long draws were give up fails... Maybe one. But 2? Same result. 2 yard gain. When Cutler and Marshall are doing amazing things, why not try...? We played it too safe. And when you play not to lose, you usually end up doing so.

I think that "try not to lose" mentality is all Lovie. I'd much rather see us dictate the game instead of play it safe and wait for the other team to make a mistake. Aggressive teams win the Super Bowl, cautious ones don't.

I just have to say, the 4th and short...that end of the field. You almost always have to try. The fans wanted it, heck most of us did I would bet. 9 times out of ten Bush converts those. Had he converted, would we be praising the coaches? Had the team instead kicked the FG, how many here would have asked "what if" and perhaps been upset that they hadn't? "Hindsight is always 20/20".

Things that killed the team today (just to name a few); no Jeffery, injuries are mounting, Fortes inability to run between the Tackles, Bennets drop (I swear at least one receiver has done that the last few weeks), and the Defense really showed its age. Like the announcer (Tim Ryan) said, that last drive (of Seattle) before the end of regulation, really sapped their strength. They have been playing at a high level all season it was only a matter of time.

I was beside myself at the 4th down play. I definitely did not want them to go for it. At that distance, it's almost a guaranteed 3 points. You never give away points. Especially that early in the game. They should have kicked the FG.

Also, is it Forte's inability to run between the tackles, the OL's inability to both pass and run block in a single game, or maybe some of both? I personally think it's both, with the lion's share falling on the OL as usual. There were very few holes for Forte to hit.

You are dead on right about the D wearing down. I was mentioning this to friends at the end of the game. It's the same thing every year.

I watched the game with my folks and a good friend. All 4 of us wanted to FG. We pretty much were in agreement that if it were 4th and inches at the goal, then the risk is worth it. But, other than that, given the state of the game, you go up by double digits.

Injuries are killing us as usual. And we are showing our age. Both are somewhat hand in hand.

Agreed.

At this point, Forte appears to be a better WR than RB...

We indeed have seen this movie before...

I was beside myself at the 4th down play. I definitely did not want them to go for it. At that distance, it's almost a guaranteed 3 points. You never give away points. Especially that early in the game. They should have kicked the FG.

Also, is it Forte's inability to run between the tackles, the OL's inability to both pass and run block in a single game, or maybe some of both? I personally think it's both, with the lion's share falling on the OL as usual. There were very few holes for Forte to hit.

You are dead on right about the D wearing down. I was mentioning this to friends at the end of the game. It's the same thing every year.

I watched the game with my folks and a good friend. All 4 of us wanted to FG. We pretty much were in agreement that if it were 4th and inches at the goal, then the risk is worth it. But, other than that, given the state of the game, you go up by double digits.

Injuries are killing us as usual. And we are showing our age. Both are somewhat hand in hand.

Agreed. This offense hasn't played well enough this year to not take points when they are there.

I think "TD"s comment above may have struck accord with me. That being with the team not being able to score, especially as of late, taking them when you can is much more prudent. Next 4th and inches, go for the FG.

But to address one part of your above reply. In regards to Fortes inability to run between the tackles: it looks as though Bush does it allright. He isn't a finesse runner and seems to be able to go "North/South" more so than does Forte. Although in yesterday's game, Forte was able to do better late in the game.

Agreed. This offense hasn't played well enough this year to not take points when they are there.

Lovie did say in the conference that his choice to go for it was a bad one and that put some significant blame on him, so he's being honest at least. I know sometimes coaches just say that stuff insincerely because leadership dictates they take some of the blame, but the way he said it..it just sounded like he had decided, for the same reasons that have been stated in this thread, that it wasn't a smart risk and he was mad at himself.

Don't like the 4th down play simply because we had a makeshift line in there. You just put a couple solid drives together take the points, build the momentum and confidence of the Oline. Instead we came out with the opposite.

The D is definitely feeling the loss of key players to injury. There is a big dropoff in speed from Conte to Steltz, Peanut battling a bone chip, lost Jennings (who is very fast), Briggs battling injured ankle. Urlacher is just slow these days and watching him in person at the game it was even more obvious. Time to draft his replacement.

The only D line who had the ability to worry Wilson when he scrambled was SMC and he wasn't on the field enough IMO. How slow is Izzy chasing down Wilson? Seahawks new it and used our personnel groupings to their advantage on the called QB runs. Late in the game when he did put SMC on the field I didn't like Lovie/Marinelli using him just as a spy, at least not with that deep of a drop. If we were going to shadow Wilson he should have done it closer to the LOS instead of dropping 5-8 yards deep.

Don't like the 4th down play simply because we had a makeshift line in there. You just put a couple solid drives together take the points, build the momentum and confidence of the Oline. Instead we came out with the opposite.

The D is definitely feeling the loss of key players to injury. There is a big dropoff in speed from Conte to Steltz, Peanut battling a bone chip, lost Jennings (who is very fast), Briggs battling injured ankle. Urlacher is just slow these days and watching him in person at the game it was even more obvious. Time to draft his replacement.

The only D line who had the ability to worry Wilson when he scrambled was SMC and he wasn't on the field enough IMO. How slow is Izzy chasing down Wilson? Seahawks new it and used our personnel groupings to their advantage on the called QB runs. Late in the game when he did put SMC on the field I didn't like Lovie/Marinelli using him just as a spy, at least not with that deep of a drop. If we were going to shadow Wilson he should have done it closer to the LOS instead of dropping 5-8 yards deep.

You know watching last nights game (Was vs NYG) reminded me a lot of the Bears / Sea game. The one exception in how NY has their DL set up. What they call the NASCAR package. And despite that, RGIII still had a field day.

Watching the game yesterday was a blast to watch for offensive scheming. I'm talking about the Redskins. They run the absolute perfect play set for RGIII and his skills as a quarterback. Them and the 49'ers run some of the most creative packages out of all different kinds of formations, and defenses have a hard time stopping it. Then I look at the Bears and I see a walking piece of "Blah". It's like night and day.

Watching the game yesterday was a blast to watch for offensive scheming. I'm talking about the Redskins. They run the absolute perfect play set for RGIII and his skills as a quarterback. Them and the 49'ers run some of the most creative packages out of all different kinds of formations, and defenses have a hard time stopping it. Then I look at the Bears and I see a walking piece of "Blah". It's like night and day.

Maybe Tice should let Toub do some play calling for the O. Toub seems to be the most creative guy on the staff.

Maybe Tice should let Toub do some play calling for the O. Toub seems to be the most creative guy on the staff.

No, because then Toub would get run out of town shortly thereafter. The last two guys who were creative on offense were Crowton and Martz. They weren't favored in Chicago very much.

Maybe Tice should let Toub call some plays. Toub seems to be the most creative of the staff.

Maybe Tice should let Toub call some plays. Toub seems to be the most creative of the staff.

I have to say that having someone like Toub doing that isnt a half bad idea. Toub has been with the staff for a number of years and knows the idiosyncrasies involved. And I believe at one time the upper management considered him as interim HC should Lovie have left a few years ago. The downside is I'm not all that keen on having another coordinator for Jay. That would be four in five (?) years.

Jason: Ouch! 1999-2000 (Crowton's tenure as OC). That was definitely a forgettable time. Combined 11-21 record (?) and no higher score than 27 in a game both years? No wonder I don't remember him. And Martz' issue was more his ego. He would not change and when told to, he was slow about it.

Maybe it would be beneficial if Tice at least took advice from Toub?

Jay can get used it.

Peyton Manning had a new one this year w/o any problems... Good players will succeed...

I have to say that having someone like Toub doing that isnt a half bad idea. Toub has been with the staff for a number of years and knows the idiosyncrasies involved. And I believe at one time the upper management considered him as interim HC should Lovie have left a few years ago. The downside is I'm not all that keen on having another coordinator for Jay. That would be four in five (?) years.

Jason: Ouch! 1999-2000 (Crowton's tenure as OC). That was definitely a forgettable time. Combined 11-21 record (?) and no higher score than 27 in a game both years? No wonder I don't remember him. And Martz' issue was more his ego. He would not change and when told to, he was slow about it.

Maybe it would be beneficial if Tice at least took advice from Toub?

Jay can get used it.

Peyton Manning had a new one this year w/o any problems... Good players will succeed...

With Manning, he pretty much does what he wants. Pretty sure that Fox lets him do as he sees needed.

And I think you're right that Cutler could adapt. He is a smart kid. And really all that would happen is Toub could add more trickery to the playbook. Sort of like how Washington was doing with NYG last night.