Mike Brown likes Conte & Wright

Ed Hochuli 3:16

During a rare interview Monday with two of his ex-teammates, former Bears star Mike Brown discussed his successors at the safety position, Brian Urlacher's future and more.

Speaking to Nate Vasher and Jason McKie on ChicagolandSportsRadio.com, Brown said that he was impressed with how Bears safeties Major Wright and Chris Conte performed this season.

"I like both of them," said Brown, who played nine seasons with the Bears from 2000-08.

"Major Wright took a lot of steps improving his game and I really do like Conte. Major's more of a punisher. He's out there dealing some major blows to receivers and Conte's a real heady safety and sure tackler who's always in the right spot. That's a great combination to have for safeties."

A hard-hitting team leader, Brown remains one of the most popular players in recent Bears history. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2005 and probably deserved to go in 2001 when he became the first NFL player to return interceptions for touchdowns in overtime in back-to-back games.

The Bears chose Urlacher and Brown with their first two picks in the 2000 NFL Draft, at No. 9 and No. 39 respectively, forever linking the two long-time teammates.

Urlacher, 34, missed the final four games of the 2012 season with a hamstring injury and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent. Asked if he thinks the star middle linebacker will return to the Bears next season, Brown said: "That's a difficult question. Just knowing how the end of careers usually happen, it doesn't seem like he'll be back as a Bear.

"I don't know if he still wants to play. He's getting up there in years. The body's kind of wearing down a little bit. So I bet you this offseason he'll probably really look deep and see if his body's able to go through another season. It's a brutal game and once your body fails you it's pretty much a wrap."

Brown also shared some thoughts about the Bears offense, which struggled again in 2012 despite a monster season from Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall, who set franchise records with 118 receptions and 1,508 yards in his first year in Chicago.

"I don't think they used [Devin] Hester enough," Brown said. "I really think you get him the ball anyway you can because that dude is super dangerous. They were kind of one-dimensional with the passing game because all they did was throw to Brandon Marshall. But he's a beast. That dude is unbelievable. He had an awesome season."

Brown feels the Bears need a better performance from their offensive line.

"It really starts with the protection," he said. "If you can't protect the quarterback, it's going to be difficult to find any rhythm on offense. That's the biggest thing that I saw, that the offensive line wasn't able to consistently protect Jay [Cutler]. If you could do that, the offense could be lethal."

Chicagobears.com

Good god. Neither of them on his best day is in Mike Browns category...

Wright is dumb as dirt and Conte couldn't tackle a corpse

You mean the Chris Conte that ranked as the 4th most efficient tackler among FS??

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/...efficiency-dbs/

PFF is such a fun website, thank you Phil Emery. Once I start working I'm getting a subscription to it for sure. (the above stat is just for the first half of the season).

Also while we're talking about safeties, Brandon Hardin SHOULD be healthy next year right? Emery was pretty happy about getting the guy, maybe he can take Wrights spot?

You mean the Chris Conte that ranked as the 4th most efficient tackler among FS??

PFF is such a fun website, thank you Phil Emery. Once I start working I'm getting a subscription to it for sure. (the above stat is just for the first half of the season).

Also while we're talking about safeties, Brandon Hardin SHOULD be healthy next year right? Emery was pretty happy about getting the guy, maybe he can take Wrights spot?

Wright also had 4 INTs and a TD, and Conte had 2 INTs. I thought they both played decent all year, not great, but not bad.

Wright also had 4 INTs and a TD, and Conte had 2 INTs. I thought they both played decent all year, not great, but not bad.

1 thing i noticed is thar when the 2 are together on the field the defense plays better as a whole. Plus who are we to argue with browns assessment. I would think he would know a few things

Guest TerraTor

I cant recall Conte ever making a tackle to stop a RB. Constantly juked and/or run-over

I like our safety combo and we can groom Hardin to replace Wright or possibly since he played cb we have an option when Tillman is done. If Hardin can be coached and stay healthy, he has size and speed that is unheard of. He can be something special.

If im not mistaken didn't we draft him to be a CB. I would like to put him at nickel back since we have peanut and Jennings already at CB

Hardin was drafted to be a safety. While he can run I don't think he has the quick change of direction needed by a CB. Should be a good fit for TE coverage and when you go against teams who like to have two pass receiving TEs (ala NE) then we can keep him on the field with Conte/Wright and still have some decent size to handle the running game (just my opinion there).

I disagree with Terra on the safety play. I thought both guys played well this year. Not great but they were not liabilities on our roster and in fact Conte's deep coverage ability to prevent the big plays was very effective. Both players made improvements in tackling ability and I think they'll only get better next season.

Hardin was drafted to be a safety. While he can run I don't think he has the quick change of direction needed by a CB. Should be a good fit for TE coverage and when you go against teams who like to have two pass receiving TEs (ala NE) then we can keep him on the field with Conte/Wright and still have some decent size to handle the running game (just my opinion there).

I disagree with Terra on the safety play. I thought both guys played well this year. Not great but they were not liabilities on our roster and in fact Conte's deep coverage ability to prevent the big plays was very effective. Both players made improvements in tackling ability and I think they'll only get better next season.

I agree I think both Conte and Wright played well overall. I had almost written Wright off as a complete failure but It looks like he's starting to get it. I think they both play well together. What I'd like to see is let them both stay where they are. It's hard for any player to succeed in when we keep playing musical safeties. I say give them time to develop further in their roles. I think they played well and I feel we got better overall play out of the safety position that we have in the recent past.

I agree I think both Conte and Wright played well overall. I had almost written Wright off as a complete failure but It looks like he's starting to get it. I think they both play well together. What I'd like to see is let them both stay where they are. It's hard for any player to succeed in when we keep playing musical safeties. I say give them time to develop further in their roles. I think they played well and I feel we got better overall play out of the safety position that we have in the recent past.

The other reason people are getting moved around, of course, is injuries.

Wright needed more time to develop in college but came out cuz his class was last class to cash in so to say. He did take a big step forward this yr but he needs to continue

Guest TerraTor

I happen to recall Conte being smoked constanly and always being late. See Vernon Davis