Samuri Mike

Guest TerraTor

I totally agree with you. He was not responsible for any good that came in SF.

Really?

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Singl...win-3178967.php

"The biggest thing is those guys in there (the locker room) are excited to play," Singletary said. "I love these guys. They know that. They know what the prerequisites are: work. We have a lot of work to do."

When he heard the news in the locker room after the game, quarterback Shaun Hill said, "Everybody started cheering and clapping. People were genuinely happy for him."

Singletary was 5-4 in his nine games as interim head coach after taking over the job from the fired Mike Nolan on Oct. 20. More important, he inspired the 49ers to win five of their last seven games to finish the season 7-9 - an overall disappointment but substantially better than the team's 2-7 record as of Nov. 10.

"It's a blessing," linebacker Patrick Willis said of his former position coach's promotion. "It's not just because he was a linebacker or because he coached me. I think they've got the right man for the job. He deserved it. He earned it."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Singl...p#ixzz2IIU1LnQ0

Everyone is so focused on his failure as a HC they forget his success as a head coach. Singletary's biggest problem is that he was a head coach well before he was ready and that stigma will stay with him for some time. Some day he'll get beyond that and I believe he'll be successful as a HC. Not saying that day is today but he might be ready to lead a defense.

What? In 2009, Singletary's start as HC: Michael Crabtree drafted #10 Round 1, (coincidently the 49ers traded their 2nd and 4th round picks for Carolina's 1st round in 2010) where they selected Mike Iupati and before that, in the same round, picked Anthony Davis. But getting back to '09; although Singletary didn't draft him Dalshon Goldsen (sp?) started to come on strong and five players made the pro bowl.

Finishing the earlier comment on 2010, Singletary was still head coach when they drafted Navarro Bowman in round 3 and made a trade for Ted Ginn Jr in later rounds. (All of this was found on Wikipedia by the way...don't tell Brian).

And who could forget: "Cannot play with them. Cannot coach with them. Cannot do it. I want winners." after he sent Vernon Davis to the locker room during the middle of a game against Seattle.

Can we stop pretending Singletary played dual roles as HC/GM? He was there while they drafted some of these players, but that does not mean he was responsible for making the selection. Just because a HC might have input doesn't mean he's the one that makes the decision. We don't even know if he endorsed any of the actual picks or if the GM even asked for his opinion in the first place.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he probably didn't have much of anything to do with who they drafted, given how well their draft success has continued over the recent years. If anybody deserves credit, it's their General Manager. Singletary made an ass out of himself (literally) and the tough guy act didn't last long before the players realized that he was an idiot. The best thing the 49'ers did was to get rid of him. Clearly, they don't miss him.

Guest TerraTor

Just forget it. jeezuz krist...

Nobody will convince me Lovie SMith wasnt responsible for all but 1 pick in every draft. It seemed as if the Offensive minds got a pick every draft, including Emery

Just about Everyone he ever drafted on D possesed at least 2 of 3 typical traits

1. Undersized/Weak

2. Injury Prone

3. Unheard of and way too high of RD

They all possess one of one trait

1. Garbage

That idiot didnt draft 1 starting quality LB in 9 years nor a CB. Thats fing pathetic.

Just forget it. jeezuz krist...

Nobody will convince me Lovie SMith wasnt responsible for all but 1 pick in every draft. It seemed as if the Offensive minds got a pick every draft, including Emery

Just about Everyone he ever drafted on D possesed at least 2 of 3 typical traits

1. Undersized/Weak

2. Injury Prone

3. Unheard of and way too high of RD

They all possess one of one trait

1. Garbage

That idiot didnt draft 1 starting quality LB in 9 years nor a CB. Thats fing pathetic.

Oddly, I agree with most of this. The draft has reeked of Lovie for quite some time. Which is why I've said numerous times he drafted so many defensive players. He wanted to ensure his reputation as a defensive guru stayed in tact. Of course, his fatal flaw was that he almost entirely ignored the offense.

Nor did Belichick's performance in Cleveland and Pete Carroll's performance in NE impress me....

"Way over the top" is what you want, especially coming from a Hall of Famer who played Defense....isn't that how Ray Lewis "appears"?

You are not seriously comparing Singletary to Belichik and Carroll are you? Now that is a reach way too far.

Isn't Ray Lewis a player not a coach?

Think before you type.

You are not seriously comparing Singletary to Belichik and Carroll are you? Now that is a reach way too far.

Isn't Ray Lewis a player not a coach?

Think before you type.

Me thinks you're too harsh.

He's saying, just because someone failed as a HC (and whether or not he failed at SF is up for interpretation) doesn't mean they are destined for failure elsewhere.

I think Iron Mike knows enough about defense that he could be a stellar DC, and eventually work his way back into a HC position now that he knows his own weaknesses.

He's saying, just because someone failed as a HC (and whether or not he failed at SF is up for interpretation) doesn't mean they are destined for failure elsewhere.

I think Iron Mike knows enough about defense that he could be a stellar DC, and eventually work his way back into a HC position now that he knows his own weaknesses.

Fair enough, but comparing Singletary to Billechik and Carroll is ridiculous and the issue of whether someone is coaching material is irrelevant when considering passion, ie Lewis. Passion does not equal a good coach.

IMO Singletary showed a lack of maturity when HC in SF and his behaviour became an embarrassment. Hopefully he has learned and perhaps would do better in the future, and I will leave that to the Emery's and Trestman's to determine.

Facts are facts, "harsh" or not.

Yes sometimes people confuse the analogy of comparing similar situations (HC failed at point A succeeded at point B) as being a comparison of the people themselves. Some people do learn from their mistakes some do not. I think Singletary is one of those who does learn. I'm not pulling for him to be our DC either, nor am I against it if that's what Trestman thinks is the right thing to do. I just think we'll be seeing a lot more from Singletary at some point in the future.

Fair enough, but comparing Singletary to Billechik and Carroll is ridiculous and the issue of whether someone is coaching material is irrelevant when considering passion, ie Lewis. Passion does not equal a good coach.

IMO Singletary showed a lack of maturity when HC in SF and his behaviour became an embarrassment. Hopefully he has learned and perhaps would do better in the future, and I will leave that to the Emery's and Trestman's to determine.

Facts are facts, "harsh" or not.

And Jason is exactly right in the point he's making. Some would argue (I sorta did) that Singletary did not completely fail in SF. But I believe he is smart enough to know that if given another chance, he would only get better. The comparison I made to him and Belichick and Carroll is that if they hadn't been given a second chance (based on their respective products in Cleveland and NE), where would they be now? And I'm not necessarily advocating that Singletary should / could be a great HC, but I'm pretty darn sure he could be a great DC.

Hence why I compared him to Ray Lewis. You can't tell me that you as a fan wouldn't go crazy happy with a coach on the sidelines that had the passion that Ray Lewis does..especially with his knowledege of Defense? So it wouldn't be wasted energy when the player came off the sideline (like the illustration I read recently of Idonije) when the coach rips that player a new one enough to motivate him to play better now rather than after a week of practice? Or heck, send him to the locker room early like Singletary has done before?

Dang if we don't agree again! ;)

I'm not 100% on him...but I do take him as a smart man who can and is learning. Looks like Mel Tucker will be the guy, but if Samurai comes on as a positional guy...I'm more than all for it.

He'll get another chance someday I imagine... He didn't have an epic fail. Just a fail.

And Jason is exactly right in the point he's making. Some would argue (I sorta did) that Singletary did not completely fail in SF. But I believe he is smart enough to know that if given another chance, he would only get better. The comparison I made to him and Belichick and Carroll is that if they hadn't been given a second chance (based on their respective products in Cleveland and NE), where would they be now? And I'm not necessarily advocating that Singletary should / could be a great HC, but I'm pretty darn sure he could be a great DC.

Hence why I compared him to Ray Lewis. You can't tell me that you as a fan wouldn't go crazy happy with a coach on the sidelines that had the passion that Ray Lewis does..especially with his knowledege of Defense? So it wouldn't be wasted energy when the player came off the sideline (like the illustration I read recently of Idonije) when the coach rips that player a new one enough to motivate him to play better now rather than after a week of practice? Or heck, send him to the locker room early like Singletary has done before?