PFFs Team Need Analysis

scs787

Lets see what the website our GM uses thinks we need to do...(a lot shorter than I thought and no real news here)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/...-chicago-bears/

Not sure they have the money to grab Levitre, Bennett, and Melton plus bring in enough depth to fill the team but that would certainly be the makings of Super Bowl contender.

There you have it...OL, OL, OL. PFF basically just said all the players on the Bears OL suck. This offseason should be very OL heavy...like it should have been for the past several years.

Essentially, yes. OL, OL, OL, TE, LB. Sounds about right.

I do disagree with them though that Louis sucks. He's fine.

Lets see what the website our GM uses thinks we need to do...(a lot shorter than I thought and no real news here)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/...-chicago-bears/

Not sure they have the money to grab Levitre, Bennett, and Melton plus bring in enough depth to fill the team but that would certainly be the makings of Super Bowl contender.

You keep referring to PFF as if that is Emery's bible. It is just one source of info that he composed to form his opinions.

You keep referring to PFF as if that is Emery's bible. It is just one source of info that he composed to form his opinions.

I'm not saying it's his bible or his end all source of information but it is indeed a source he uses which is better than getting information from some random blog stating we need this or that.

They pointed out that they may be content with their young tackles which I agree with, esp considering the whole inside out blocking scheme.

Webb-Levitre-Garza-Louis/Rookie-Carimi would be a solid line IMO.

Any starting OL that has Carimi instead of Scott as the RT is mind-boggling, IMO. Scott was solid last year. Carimi was f***ing pathetic.

Any starting OL that has Carimi instead of Scott as the RT is mind-boggling, IMO. Scott was solid last year. Carimi was f***ing pathetic.

I think we need to resign Louis and Scott. If Carmi starts he will have to beat one of them out and then I guess that means he will be playing better.

If healthy, Carimi adds more to the line IMO. His -8.1 rating tells me he was horrible in run blocking. If Carimi comes in at full strength he could offer solid pass blocking and very good run blocking. With Forte not really being a between the tackles runner I'd rather have good run defenders on the edge with great pass blockers up the middle.

Bringing back Scott on the other hand is ok with me for some competition...if Scott wins great.

I like Scott a lot and think he would be a very good starter for our OL. IMO he played very good last year and may be even better this year with a chance to work with the line during preseason. It has to be difficult to join a team and take over a OL spot in mid season and I think he pulled it off successfully.

If healthy, Carimi adds more to the line IMO. His -8.1 rating tells me he was horrible in run blocking. If Carimi comes in at full strength he could offer solid pass blocking and very good run blocking. With Forte not really being a between the tackles runner I'd rather have good run defenders on the edge with great pass blockers up the middle.

Bringing back Scott on the other hand is ok with me for some competition...if Scott wins great.

Actually Carimi's terrible rating was almost entirely from pass blocking. He was actually a solid run blocker last year, he was just the worst RT in the league in pass blocking.

Actually Carimi's terrible rating was almost entirely from pass blocking. He was actually a solid run blocker last year, he was just the worst RT in the league in pass blocking.

I was referring to Scotts negative rating which was the opposite of Gabes negative rating. Scott gave up 1 sack last year which is incredible on this line, I can't deny that but he also somehow rated out negatively which tells me he wasn't good in the run game.

I can agree it's a good idea to bring Scott back though and let the best man win. It all depends on what Kromer wants on the edge.

LB, WR, OL, TE are the 4 major needs going into the off-season. Offensive line needs an overhaul. TE in this offense is an absolute must. A speed receiver is also a must, as well as one or two young LB'ers.

The way I view taking these players is simple: Every time your team is on the clock, look at your positional needs and determine which player is the best for his position. Then you figure out which one of those players is better at his position than one of the other guys are at their positions.

*Here is an example*

Positional Needs (No particular order)- WR, OT, OG, LB, TE

First round, pick 20

Possible best players at their position by the time the Bears are on the clock-- WR- Tavon Austin, OT- Lane Johnson, OG- John Cooper, LB- Alec Ogletree, TE Tyler Eiffert

Whichever player has the better grade out of those guys is the player I take. I would do that for each round.

That way you don't miss (theoretically) on the best player, instead of simply going by what you think is your #1 need and taking whichever player happens to be available at the time you pick.

Obviously Free agency is going to play a factor as well. That's where draft depth, per position comes into play. If you know that the draft isn't very deep at LB, for example, that might be the position you look to improve upon via Free agency.

I know we're moving to a more offensive minded team but I'd hate a 1st round WR. I'd be sketchy on a TE in the 1st too. I like Ertz but I feel like you can get one just as productive in the 4th or even a better chance if they can trade down and pick up an 3rd. Gavin Escobar or Levine Toilolo in the 3rd or (hopefully) the 4th if we can't get a 3rd would be fantastic! I actually like those 2 more than Eifert. I think Toilolo could be the steal of the draft, he's 2 inches taller (6'8") and his 40 time is only .01(4.62) seconds off from his teammate Zach Ertz.

Again, a WR in the first would make me sad too. Next year the RBs and TEs are gonna be utilized more in the pass game. Add in Marshall and Jeffery and this #1 pick would be the 5th or 6th option depending on how you view Bennett. Get the 5th or 6th option in the 5th or 6th round.

Rounds 1 and 2 have to be a combination of OL, ILB, and TE. With at least one OL. For rounds 4 and 5, a WR and any need not selected in the 1st and 2nd.

So by the 6th round, we should've selected at least OL, LB, and TE, with the possibility of another OL or WR.

Rounds 1 and 2 have to be a combination of OL, ILB, and TE. With at least one OL. For rounds 4 and 5, a WR and any need not selected in the 1st and 2nd.

So by the 6th round, we should've selected at least OL, LB, and TE, with the possibility of another OL or WR.

your spot on with our picks. we need to fill those spots by how the draft falls to our pick.

I just think singling out individual positions each round is the wrong approach. Saying, "They HAVE to draft this position in the 1st round".. It limits your options, and you might miss out on a better player at another position of need, even if you don't feel like that position is as "important" as another.

It goes back to what I've always said about the draft-- you don't just draft a LB'er or an OL in the 1st round because you need one. If that player isn't as good as someone else at another positional need then you don't draft that player! It's simple. Obviously you don't totally know how good a player is going to be, but that's why you rely on your grades.

I just think singling out individual positions each round is the wrong approach. Saying, "They HAVE to draft this position in the 1st round".. It limits your options, and you might miss out on a better player at another position of need, even if you don't feel like that position is as "important" as another.

It goes back to what I've always said about the draft-- you don't just draft a LB'er or an OL in the 1st round because you need one. If that player isn't as good as someone else at another positional need then you don't draft that player! It's simple. Obviously you don't totally know how good a player is going to be, but that's why you rely on your grades.

Usually in most drafts after you get past the first 10-15 players it starts to vary a lot on the players valves. I agree you have to take the BPA in most scenarios but lets say a QB or RB are the best player rated as the the 2nd best OG who has a first round grade. We dont take the QB over a need position where as the QB is the 16 best player rated as to the 24 th rated player a OG. the point he was making we have OL, TE, MLB that is of our most needed positions and they will be one of valve there as the draft falls in place. In the second round if a DT or WR is the best rated players then you have to consider it, but with 3 great needs you usually will have choices and still fill a need.

If the Bears are in a position where there aren't matches for their needs available...they ought to trade down. If the LB ans OL candidates are off the board then another position (Probably d-line) had some guys that dropped, and teams will make deals to try to come up with those players.

Usually in most drafts after you get past the first 10-15 players it starts to vary a lot on the players valves. I agree you have to take the BPA in most scenarios but lets say a QB or RB are the best player rated as the the 2nd best OG who has a first round grade. We dont take the QB over a need position where as the QB is the 16 best player rated as to the 24 th rated player a OG. the point he was making we have OL, TE, MLB that is of our most needed positions and they will be one of valve there as the draft falls in place. In the second round if a DT or WR is the best rated players then you have to consider it, but with 3 great needs you usually will have choices and still fill a need.

I'm only including our positional needs. So it's only BPA amongst those specific needs, not every position. Although there is always exceptions. Here is another example of what I'm talking about.

If you take NFL.com's grades and apply it to my view on drafting, let's go back to some of the guys I was talking about earlier who might be available at the time we pick..

OT- Lane Johnson 86.9

OG- Johnathon Cooper 86.9

WR- Tavon Austin 85.4

LB- Alec Ogletree 84.0

TE- Tyler Eiffert 83.3

Those numbers are the corresponding grades NFL.com currently has on these players (They actually have Arthur Brown rated 90.3, but I'll stick with Ogletree for this example). Remember, this is just a view of how I would use the grades. Out of our positional needs, Johnson and Cooper are the two best, according to NFL.com. So because of those grades, you can eliminate 3 of the 5 from consideration because you want what you think is the best overall player from a positional need. Normally I would say in this case to go with Johnson because LT is a more crucial position than guard, but If what has been written about Trestman is true, a guard might be more important because of the way his blocking system works. It's a choice between those two.

This is the way I would do every round of the NFL draft. If we took Cooper in this instance, you can cross off OG from your list and now go with those 4 other positions for the oncoming rounds of the draft and do the same thing. Find the best players available from those specific positions, and then find the guy that grades out best amongst that group.

And to take that a step further, if a player you really like falls, even if it's not one of your positions of need, you take them, or even trade up for the right guy at a position of need.

I've always believed you should try to draft a player and not a position.

I'm only including our positional needs. So it's only BPA amongst those specific needs, not every position. Although there is always exceptions. Here is another example of what I'm talking about.

If you take NFL.com's grades and apply it to my view on drafting, let's go back to some of the guys I was talking about earlier who might be available at the time we pick..

OT- Lane Johnson 86.9

OG- Johnathon Cooper 86.9

WR- Tavon Austin 85.4

LB- Alec Ogletree 84.0

TE- Tyler Eiffert 83.3

Those numbers are the corresponding grades NFL.com currently has on these players (They actually have Arthur Brown rated 90.3, but I'll stick with Ogletree for this example). Remember, this is just a view of how I would use the grades. Out of our positional needs, Johnson and Cooper are the two best, according to NFL.com. So because of those grades, you can eliminate 3 of the 5 from consideration because you want what you think is the best overall player from a positional need. Normally I would say in this case to go with Johnson because LT is a more crucial position than guard, but If what has been written about Trestman is true, a guard might be more important because of the way his blocking system works. It's a choice between those two.

This is the way I would do every round of the NFL draft. If we took Cooper in this instance, you can cross off OG from your list and now go with those 4 other positions for the oncoming rounds of the draft and do the same thing. Find the best players available from those specific positions, and then find the guy that grades out best amongst that group.

we agree then

Totally with the assessment. Bar none, our biggest need is OL.(guard in particular) LG was atrocious and RG wasn't good before a knee injury; so I don't see Louis as a factor. I would love to see us sign Levitre and draft an OT, G/C, TE and 2 LB's.

My perfect draft scenario would be to trade down for an extra pick or two and draft Barrett Jones in the late 1st early second. He would provide the flexibility we need, as there is no decent backup to Garza. He could come in and start at any interior position. I also think we need to give Gonzales a shot before we draft a TE highly. Lastly, a high caliber LB is needed to replinish some speed in this group.

I don't care how it happens it just has to happen. I absolutely will puke if I see another free agent special teamer signed. Those positions should be filled by draftees looking to move up.

Totally with the assessment. Bar none, our biggest need is OL.(guard in particular) LG was atrocious and RG wasn't good before a knee injury; so I don't see Louis as a factor. I would love to see us sign Levitre and draft an OT, G/C, TE and 2 LB's.

My perfect draft scenario would be to trade down for an extra pick or two and draft Barrett Jones in the late 1st early second. He would provide the flexibility we need, as there is no decent backup to Garza. He could come in and start at any interior position. I also think we need to give Gonzales a shot before we draft a TE highly. Lastly, a high caliber LB is needed to replinish some speed in this group.

I don't care how it happens it just has to happen. I absolutely will puke if I see another free agent special teamer signed. Those positions should be filled by draftees looking to move up.

Lovies gone so I doubt if the same habits will be seen. I think with Emery being new last year with the same draft team in place,I think Lovie on a lot of influence on the draft.