17 days to go-pick our 1st rounder?

Stinger226

I think all the OL people we would draft will be gone. I think we would like to draft Austin and he will be gone. I think the players that drop down to us will be DE/DT types, but I think Trufant is ranked right around our pick in the big boards I have been looking at and think he will be our pick. This is not the player, I would like, that would be Ogletree at this stage but, think with his off field problems, we let him slide.There is a real good chance we move down but for sake of this thread, we pick Turfant/CB.

I think all the OL people we would draft will be gone. I think we would like to draft Austin and he will be gone. I think the players that drop down to us will be DE/DT types, but I think Trufant is ranked right around our pick in the big boards I have been looking at and think he will be our pick. This is not the player, I would like, that would be Ogletree at this stage but, think with his off field problems, we let him slide.There is a real good chance we move down but for sake of this thread, we pick Turfant/CB.

I'd be ok with that.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts. I think the OL help will be gone. My gut says we draft Arthur Brown if we keep the pick, but my dark horse is Sheldon Richardson - we don't have a lot of DT depth and he's a great fit in our scheme.

Change the name of this thread to "My nightmares about the draft." A DT would be very upsetting, and a CB would be not what I'd expect from a team whose CBs - BOTH of them - went to the probowl last year.

I agree we can get Cb/DT help in the later rounds. OL/LB/WR should be the mind set for the first

two or three rounds

Change the name of this thread to "My nightmares about the draft." A DT would be very upsetting, and a CB would be not what I'd expect from a team whose CBs - BOTH of them - went to the probowl last year.

I agree that is NOT what I want to happen. I just think the quality players I think available at that spot might not be what I desire and they go with a BPA scenario and that is what we end up with. With all our CBs out of contract at the end of this year, this is a REAL possibility of happening.

And who do you want Jason? Chances are the OL pieces are gonna be gone. Tillman is not gonna play for ever and there are many teams, namely the Packers, who will run 3 good WRs out there. With what we've done in FA I think a CB will play the biggest role for this team next year.

A CB also gives us insurance should we be unable to resign Tillman or Jennings who are both free agents next year. It also would allow us to potentially move Tillman to a safety spot where I think he can dominate by getting around the ball more.

IMO unless one of the top 2 guards drop then CB is what we should target.

Jason, from a financial perspective, CB is a possibility. Even though both made the Pro Bowl last year, they will both be UFA's after this season with pretty high salaries. A first rounder could potentially provide the same level of play at a fraction of the cost.

If it is not CB, then what, LB is still a high possibility, and I would say OG and OT are still up there as we always can use upgrades there. Maybe WR too. I hope it is not DT, but with the quality at that position, it may end up being a steal in terms of BPA.

Jason, from a financial perspective, CB is a possibility. Even though both made the Pro Bowl last year, they will both be UFA's after this season with pretty high salaries. A first rounder could potentially provide the same level of play at a fraction of the cost.

If it is not CB, then what, LB is still a high possibility, and I would say OG and OT are still up there as we always can use upgrades there. Maybe WR too. I hope it is not DT, but with the quality at that position, it may end up being a steal in terms of BPA.

I keep seeing Jarvis Jones/LB dropping and also B Werner/DE. This were players rated much higher than 20th, would everbody be pissed if there our picks? If BPA holds up one of them could be our pick.

It's a good point, but I hate the concept of drafting to dodge higher salaries. If you have a pro-bowl player, you keep him if at all possible. It's a pretty simple concept. To purposely draft a guy's replacement when the player being replaced is a pro-bowler is just not very smart in my opinion. Further, I don't believe it's smart to draft a guy in the first round if there is no intention of actually starting him. No team has irreplaceable players at all 24 starting positions.

It's a good point, but I hate the concept of drafting to dodge higher salaries. If you have a pro-bowl player, you keep him if at all possible. It's a pretty simple concept. To purposely draft a guy's replacement when the player being replaced is a pro-bowler is just not very smart in my opinion. Further, I don't believe it's smart to draft a guy in the first round if there is no intention of actually starting him. No team has irreplaceable players at all 24 starting positions.

I agree with the bold statement, but once again...for the sake of argument who do you want?

A nickle back, while technically not a starter would still see a lot of time and is virtually a starter. Much like a slot WR is technically not a starter.

Unless 1 of the 2 OGs drop chances are they're not gonna get a 1st year starter in the 1st. A DE over Wootton/SMC? A DT over Paea? A safety over Conte/Wright? DJ Fluker/Melinik Watson over Webb/Scott/Carimi?

I agree with the bold statement, but once again...for the sake of argument who do you want?

A nickle back, while technically not a starter would still see a lot of time and is virtually a starter. Much like a slot WR is technically not a starter.

Unless 1 of the 2 OGs drop chances are they're not gonna get a 1st year starter in the 1st. A DE over Wootton/SMC? A DT over Paea? A safety over Conte/Wright? DJ Fluker/Melinik Watson over Webb/Scott/Carimi?

Your right, if the OL guys arent there, but another CB would see a lot of playing time in our pass happy NFL of today. Smart people in the draft, draft quality players at any position, they dont draft for need. Anybody this side of a QB,RB will improve this team in our future. If we get a stud-anywhere- I cant see myself complaining.

I wouldn't say it is drafting to dodge a salary, it is just killing two birds with one stone. You get younger and cheaper for comparable performance and then can take the savings and apply it elsewhere. Also, both are Pro Bowlers last year, but you can predict where they will be in two years. Tillman will be 34.

All I am saying is a DB in the 1st would not be wasted. He could come in an immediately play Nickel, and could move up if either of the top 2 struggle or get injured. Then that gives the Bears some financial flexibility next offseason. With the signing of the 2 LB's, we are in the same boat. If we drafted a LB in the 1st, someone would be the odd man out. Besides OG or possibly OT, there really is no one specific huge hole to fill.

Like scs said, who then? List the players that would start right away if drafted in the 1st.

It would be so Phil to go with a player none of us are talking about. I don't know if I should be scared or intrigued. The McClellin pick certainly caught me off guard last year. the Brandon Hardin pick in the 3rd round was a bit of a head scratcher too. Let's hope at least one of the LB's are there for us when we pick (Ogletree or Brown, not Teo') or one of the guards (Warmack or Cooper) are still there at 20 if we keep the pick.

It would be so Phil to go with a player none of us are talking about. I don't know if I should be scared or intrigued. The McClellin pick certainly caught me off guard last year. the Brandon Hardin pick in the 3rd round was a bit of a head scratcher too. Let's hope at least one of the LB's are there for us when we pick (Ogletree or Brown, not Teo') or one of the guards (Warmack or Cooper) are still there at 20 if we keep the pick.

lol like Datone Jones DT/DE UCLA or some ish like that.

I still dont see us grabbing a TE that early, but I do think Emery will suprise us in the draft.

I can't see that either, and I don't know if that would actually be a surprise if Emery drafted him anyway. Kenny Vaccaro or Eddie Lacy would be surprise picks for me.

And who do you want Jason? Chances are the OL pieces are gonna be gone. Tillman is not gonna play for ever and there are many teams, namely the Packers, who will run 3 good WRs out there. With what we've done in FA I think a CB will play the biggest role for this team next year.

A CB also gives us insurance should we be unable to resign Tillman or Jennings who are both free agents next year. It also would allow us to potentially move Tillman to a safety spot where I think he can dominate by getting around the ball more.

IMO unless one of the top 2 guards drop then CB is what we should target.

That's why I'm saying it's my nightmare. If the two OGs are gone, I would have to look long and hard at who is left. I wouldn't be happy with any pick, to be quite honest. And I realize I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

If forced to make the decision though, in terms of this year, I'd say DL > CB > LB. The DL will get more into the rotation, potentially win a starting job, and provides better insurance (better than a CB anyway) should the Bears be unable to resign Melton. Melton will demand franchise type money; Peanut and Jennings will not.

Of course, this assumes Fluker isn't in the picture as RT (where Carimi ends up moving inside). If that's the case, I choose Fluker.

That's why I'm saying it's my nightmare. If the two OGs are gone, I would have to look long and hard at who is left. I wouldn't be happy with any pick, to be quite honest. And I realize I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

If forced to make the decision though, in terms of this year, I'd say DL > CB > LB. The DL will get more into the rotation, potentially win a starting job, and provides better insurance (better than a CB anyway) should the Bears be unable to resign Melton. Melton will demand franchise type money; Peanut and Jennings will not.

Of course, this assumes Fluker isn't in the picture as RT (where Carimi ends up moving inside). If that's the case, I choose Fluker.

Peanut and Jennings together though will cost a a pretty penny. I do agree we should also grab a DL piece early as well I just disagree that whomever that may be will play more than our nickel back...esp in a pass happy league.

I can live with that choice. I think there is going to be a stud type player fall to our spot, it may be LB, DE, DT or CB. I hope we pick a player that also fills a need, but no matter what position it is , if he is a stud, we all will end up being happy in the end.

I know Tillman went to the Pro Bowl last year but the offseason is about projecting future performance. In reality there were several games where Tillman was exposed in coverage. IIRC I think the 49ers game was the worst. His forced fumbles were something to enjoy and were largely responsible for putting him in the Pro Bowl. Yet he's a CB and his first job is to cover WRs to prevent completions. I can't see him at a Pro Bowl level in that role not even this season (I hope I'm wrong) and especially 2 seasons from now. His next contract will have to reflect that or he won't be in Chicago.

The one year we finally seem prepared to draft interior Oline early and for the first time ever the top two OG might both be gone before #20. If the OG are gone and CB, in Trufant is the BPA at 20 I'm ok with it.

I'd live with a DT as well if the right talent falls to us. Paea didn't perform as well as I hoped last year. No long term deal for Melton is on the horizon although I'd like to see it happen.

DE would be an even bigger surprise (disappointment) but I can't rule that out either knowing Peppers huge contract next season is the easiest path to lots of cap space. Now we have to compare the rookie plus maybe 4 other good FA players to see what yields the best team overall versus keeping Peppers. If Emery is intent on getting a younger roster rapidly this may be what happens. I also don't know what FA are available after the 2013 season. There could be plenty of talent available again next year for Oline.

A name I haven't heard mention and I'll do it just to put a sleeper out there:

DT out of UNC- Sylvester Williams

I just read we had a in house visit with Te'o, stick a revolver in my mouth. Actually its not that bad, but I prefer different LBers before we get to him.