Webb trying to stay sober? This guy is a moron.

GakMan23

Yeah but the last time I checked smoking weed is illegal, so a guy risking his entire career and well being over doing something illegal just validates who that person really is.

Wow that's a bit over the top. He wasn't risking his career by having a small amount of pot on him. Even just getting arrested with the charges dropped put him in the league's substance abuse program - the same punishment as if the charges had stuck. Now if he does it again, he'll be up for a 4 game suspension. But the first act in no way jeopardized his career. Even if he got cut, there would some team to pick him up. If Chris Williams can get picked up mid-season, Webb would certainly get picked up in the offseason.

I'm not saying it's irrelevant, I'm just saying that what he did isn't seen as a big deal for most teams. I think the fact that one incident caused him to re-evaluate his life is a good sign.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to you and Lomas Brown, half the league is morons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8292...ayers-smoke-pot

Well yeah. Did u really think the league is full of brilliant ppl. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it any more better does it. Its still illegal no matter how u wanna spin it. My problem is if its true that this affected is in field performance. That would mean he was getting high the day of the game. Most players are at least smart enough to not do it day of game. That's just ignorant. But considering lovie and company just handed him his job with no real competition ever he probably knew he could get away with it and coaches wouldn't care

Well yeah. Did u really think the league is full of brilliant ppl. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it any more better does it. Its still illegal no matter how u wanna spin it. My problem is if its true that this affected is in field performance. That would mean he was getting high the day of the game. Most players are at least smart enough to not do it day of game. That's just ignorant. But considering lovie and company just handed him his job with no real competition ever he probably knew he could get away with it and coaches wouldn't care

You can't state that as truth. Maybe it affected his play on the field because he wasn't training as much or as hard as he can. The article didn't release any direct quotes about how it affected his play on the field so we don't know what was meant by that.

I'm aware that it's illegal and I'm aware that this isn't the Ivy League we're talking about here. Maybe (probably) it's because I'm young like the guys in the league and a smoker myself but I can care less if players wanna smoke. It's not as bad as you guys wanna think it is.

That comment regarding I don't care less whether a player does it or not is a load of rubbish. Whether he does on game day or days leading up to the draft it will impact on his ability to think quickly and laterally. A professional athlete is going up against players in peak physical condition a d any edge that can be gained is to your advantage. So stay off the weed watch the tape and play to the best of your ability. Would I say Webb was spaced at times during games last year. YES. I am amazed that the team and Lovie would allow this when its is easy to eradicate. If someone's smokes weed it stays in your system for 28 days so test the player regularly and they will stay off pot.

Wow that's a bit over the top. He wasn't risking his career by having a small amount of pot on him. Even just getting arrested with the charges dropped put him in the league's substance abuse program - the same punishment as if the charges had stuck. Now if he does it again, he'll be up for a 4 game suspension. But the first act in no way jeopardized his career. Even if he got cut, there would some team to pick him up. If Chris Williams can get picked up mid-season, Webb would certainly get picked up in the offseason.

I'm not saying it's irrelevant, I'm just saying that what he did isn't seen as a big deal for most teams. I think the fact that one incident caused him to re-evaluate his life is a good sign.

Yeah, I am just saying it is something, and it can go two ways, escalate where the player shows he has no self control, or he realizes what he can lose, and turns it around.

You can't state that as truth. Maybe it affected his play on the field because he wasn't training as much or as hard as he can. The article didn't release any direct quotes about how it affected his play on the field so we don't know what was meant by that.

I'm aware that it's illegal and I'm aware that this isn't the Ivy League we're talking about here. Maybe (probably) it's because I'm young like the guys in the league and a smoker myself but I can care less if players wanna smoke. It's not as bad as you guys wanna think it is.

Sure its not the worst thing in the world but does that make it any better to use when u know for a fact it impairs a persons ability to think quickly obviously when cutler pushed him he didn't hit him hard enough. His inability to think and react quickly can get cutler seriously hurt. Is that what u really want to happen. Maybe thats what it would take in order for him to finally get it

We've been through this many times before. Occasional use of marijuana does not have long term effects. Use it daily and it's a proven medical fact it has side effects that affect judgment and the crystalline structures embedded in the brain tissues can be seen in a scan of the brain. Whether or not half the league uses it, or 90% of the NBA uses it, or any other justification one chooses to use, does not make the people doing so smarter or better players. That's what we're talking about here at the original post calling him a moron. When a players job is on the line and he was not doing all he could have done to improve it's relevant.

This is how the example of Lomas Brown played the game:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thenewsstar.com/usatoday/article/1787107

Ryen Russillo set up Brown by saying he didn't call out his quarterbacks much. But Brown did say there was something he'd do to send a message.

"Just let the guy hit him. Just let the D-lineman get a shot on him," Brown said. "I'd make it look good. I had some actor in me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how bad Scott Mitchell was I would never want that jackass Lomas Brown, or anyone like him, blocking for my team. His issue was really with the head coach who was playing Mitchell over Kreig. He should have had the balls to run over the head coach himself.

We've been through this many times before. Occasional use of marijuana does not have long term effects. Use it daily and it's a proven medical fact it has side effects that affect judgment and the crystalline structures embedded in the brain tissues can be seen in a scan of the brain. Whether or not half the league uses it, or 90% of the NBA uses it, or any other justification one chooses to use, does not make the people doing so smarter or better players. That's what we're talking about here at the original post calling him a moron. When a players job is on the line and he was not doing all he could have done to improve it's relevant.

This is how the example of Lomas Brown played the game:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/usatoday/article/1787107

Ryen Russillo set up Brown by saying he didn't call out his quarterbacks much. But Brown did say there was something he'd do to send a message.

"Just let the guy hit him. Just let the D-lineman get a shot on him," Brown said. "I'd make it look good. I had some actor in me."

No matter how bad Scott Mitchell was I would never want that jackass Lomas Brown, or anyone like him, blocking for my team. His issue was really with the head coach who was playing Mitchell over Kreig. He should have had the balls to run over the head coach himself.

This is a very disturbing article, it is hard to believe Lomas admitted to "whiffing" on a block. I can imagine things like this happen but that is pretty dastardedly behaviour....

If someone's smokes weed it stays in your system for 28 days so test the player regularly and they will stay off pot.

Not OK according to the CBA. Lovie can't just start requiring guys he suspects get tested five times a week. Jeez. I swear, Lovie's gone guys, let him rest in peace. And if you're going to attack him for things, let's make it things he had some control over, OK?

As to Webb being a moron for the things he said in that article, I couldn't disagree more. As someone who watched a loved one destroy herself with alcohol, I can tell you it would've been a dream come true had she ever taken similar steps along the path to recovery. But beware, just because he realizes there's a problem and he's talking the talk, beating his addictions, whatever they may be, will be tough.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with his abilities on the football field. He just doesn't look like much of a player to me. But I wish him well in this and hope for his sake he succeeds. And if we get a better football player on the field at the same time, we'll all be happier fans. Except those who live to tear the team down...

"Was he a moron for getting caught? Ya, sure, I'll even call him a moron for that."

Glad to see you finally agree with me :cheers

But thats where our agreement ends on the subject. To call him a moron for trying to better himself is, well, moronic.

As a smoker I know there are times where you can't avoid having the stuff on you, the moronic part was going over the speed limit with it on you. If you have it on you, you can't give the fuzz any reason to pull you over.

But thats where our agreement ends on the subject. To call him a moron for trying to better himself is, well, moronic.

As a smoker I know there are times where you can't avoid having the stuff on you, the moronic part was going over the speed limit with it on you. If you have it on you, you can't give the fuzz any reason to pull you over.

Smoking ANYTHING for an athlete is moronic, if you ask me. Lung capacity and yadda yadda yadda. But he was talking about working to take control of his usage so he must've realized it was getting to be a problem. Not moronic.

As for weed, I'm not and have never been into it. But if beer is legal... But until that day, if you get busted with it on you, the "fuzz" is just doing their jobs so show a little respect.

Damn youngsters...

Smoking ANYTHING for an athlete is moronic, if you ask me. Lung capacity and yadda yadda yadda. But he was talking about working to take control of his usage so he must've realized it was getting to be a problem. Not moronic.

As for weed, I'm not and have never been into it. But if beer is legal... But until that day, if you get busted with it on you, the "fuzz" is just doing their jobs so show a little respect.

Damn youngsters...

While I agree (I stopped smoking my 2nd year of rugby and I can feel my lungs allowing me to do more), the presence of weed in all major sports is there and there is no denying it.

I meant no disrespect by calling them the fuzz, I was just being comical. I know it's their job and I'm not debating that, nor am I hating on them for doing their job. I'm saying if you have to have the stuff on you you can't give the police a reason to pull you over. That's the moronic part of it.

Also let me throw it out there, I work as a security guard so I have no problem with authority. I would be a cop if I didn't catch a felony when I was 18.

You know clown shoe, if you wanna keep taking little digs I can get personal too. I called him a moron for all the stuff he has done and the fact he talking about how it was affecting his game play. I am glad he is getting his life straight, hopefully, but telling people about how your partying affected your ability to do you job, which is protect Cutler's blindside, has really got to make Cutler a little nervous.

Wrong. Sounds like an excuse. You can ALWAYS avoid having "the stuff" on you. I've done it every single day of my life. You always have a choice. And that's where you seem to be ignoring common logic because you obviously agree with Webb's actions, and obviously want to have a sweet, manly embrace with him. :lol:

Aww, real mature Jason. This Webb shit is getting old, I can't wait to see him beat out your boy Gabe Carimi who probably isn't even going to get a look at RT.

I think I'm too young for this board. My views don't go along with the old school guys on here. Would I like to have a smoke free team, ya that'd be nice, but in todays society the chances of that are probably slim. I realize this and as soon you guys do you'll be doing a lot less bitchin and moaning about a guy smoking.

It doesn't matter who the damn player is I won't get worked up about him smoking and I damn sure will applaud him for trying to better himself.

Not to get into your beef...

But you are not too young for the site. Like life, many folks can have differeing opinions and viewpoints. Yours is am important as anyone else's on this site. Some disagree more eloquently than others. It's our differences that make this board interesting.

(I just wish you'd hit the "add reply" button when you reply, so I can follow the thread better when you post!)

Aww, real mature Jason. This Webb shit is getting old, I can't wait to see him beat out your boy Gabe Carimi who probably isn't even going to get a look at RT.

I think I'm too young for this board. My views don't go along with the old school guys on here. Would I like to have a smoke free team, ya that'd be nice, but in todays society the chances of that are probably slim. I realize this and as soon you guys do you'll be doing a lot less bitchin and moaning about a guy smoking.

It doesn't matter who the damn player is I won't get worked up about him smoking and I damn sure will applaud him for trying to better himself.

I'll start posting above the quotes I'm responding to, just for you buddy.

I really don't have a beef with anyone here. Sure, all the Webb stuff is getting highly annoying but oh wells.

Not to get into your beef...

But you are not too young for the site. Like life, many folks can have differeing opinions and viewpoints. Yours is am important as anyone else's on this site. Some disagree more eloquently than others. It's our differences that make this board interesting.

(I just wish you'd hit the "add reply" button when you reply, so I can follow the thread better when you post!)

Ha!

No worries. I meant acutally, use the "reply" button instead of the "quote" button.

Then again, maybe it's just me using it wrong!

I'll start posting above the quotes I'm responding to, just for you buddy.

I really don't have a beef with anyone here. Sure, all the Webb stuff is getting highly annoying but oh wells.

I can't wait to see him beat out your boy Gabe Carimi who probably isn't even going to get a look at RT.
He'll never admit it when it happens.

You aren't too young. I'm old school and see your point a lot. BTW - Players are young, thus possibly giving you a better view of their social dynamic and mindset on life. I'm big on redemption and feel we are all worthy of it.(Regardless if we like them or not)

It's not about Webb vs. Carimi in this thread. It's about you love of Webb, and your defense of absolutely everything he does. This dude could start a church bus on fire and you'd say something about the amount of gas a bus holds making it more likely to spontaneously combust. Any player who jeopardizes a multi-million payday for marijuana is stupid to some extent. If you are in athletics and take your career seriously, you don't do it. Period. The simple fact is, it can always be avoided. Today's society blah blah blah. It's illegal; you are under no obligation to do it. If you like to do it, tough shit. Stop being selfish and set aside your personal desires for the betterment of the team. For the amount of money he is being paid - this goes for all players - the level of devotion to his craft should be insane. Instead he wastes potential talent, and certainly opportunity, because he wants to get high. Great decision. :rolleyes:

From this report alone, it appears that his performance has suffered as a result of usage, and he recognizes that. Good for him for trying to get better, but just think how much he has completely screwed the team since he's been in Chicago. Imagine what he would have done if he wasn't using. If I were a teammate I would be pissed at him.

BTW - The final line in my last comment was supposed to be a subtle jab, a joke. That's why I used the emoticon. It was an attempt to defuse the situation more than fuel it.

He'll never admit it when it happens.

You're likely right, because what'll happen is the same thing as before. Carimi will likely be played inside at OG, and Webb will be handed the RT job with little to no actual competition.

You're likely right, because what'll happen is the same thing as before. Carimi will likely be played inside at OG, and Webb will be handed the RT job with little to no actual competition.

Like I said in the other thread the bears have plenty of competition for him at RT. Scott, who some have said looked good at RT. Mills, who was projected to be a 3rd round pick and already thinks he's the starting RT. Carimi, who with Long being drafted should get the opportunity to compete outside unless the staff continues to believe he's strictly a OG. Long is well, a Long shot but if someone like Brown, Britton, or Carimi steps it up at OG with Slausson then he could get a look at RT. James Brown also played OT in college so he could get a look there as well.

There will be no handing out of any job I suspect. Webb in this article said something about the best 5 guys will get the starting spots and there's a ton of guys competing for those 5 spots.

Also to touch base on your other post....I defended his play after watching film, and I defended his choice to better himself...How is that defending everything he does. If I report comes out about him skipping the Special Olympics I will scold him for that....I already called him dumb for speeding with pot on him. I just don't think in todays society that pot use by athletes is that big a deal. If he was smoking right before the game then ya that's moronic but I HIGHLY doubt that's the case.

While I agree (I stopped smoking my 2nd year of rugby and I can feel my lungs allowing me to do more), the presence of weed in all major sports is there and there is no denying it.

I meant no disrespect by calling them the fuzz, I was just being comical. I know it's their job and I'm not debating that, nor am I hating on them for doing their job. I'm saying if you have to have the stuff on you you can't give the police a reason to pull you over. That's the moronic part of it.

Also let me throw it out there, I work as a security guard so I have no problem with authority. I would be a cop if I didn't catch a felony when I was 18.

Breaking news here. U don't have to have illegal stuff on you. Its a choice that a person has. They can choose not yo do it. Or they choose to have it on them. Unless your telling me dude had a gun yo his head but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just like I had the choice when I was 16 to get involved with it when all my friends did it. Yet here I am never even touched an illegal drug. No problems with cops good job with a family and all those supposed friends have been in and out of jail. They made a choice and now must suffer the consequences. Same goes for Webb.