Rd 1 Bearstalk Draft

AZ54

Rd 1 Bearstalk Draft Pick  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have chosen in Rd 1 of this past draft given who was on the board?

• Kyle Long
    • Sharrif Floyd
    • Tyler Eifert
    • Desmond Trufant
    • Xavier Rhodes
    • Alec Ogletree
    • Cordarrelle Patterson
    • Sylvester Williams

First time I ever setup a poll so if this doesn't work right I apologize. I will leave this up for a couple days to collect the votes. If there is not a clear winner (i.e. one player with 50% of the vote) I'll post a final poll with only the top two or three vote getters. From that the winner will be our draft choice. Pixote will be the honorary GM for this. He gets to vote as well but if we have a tie at the end, as GM he will make the final decision on who we draft.

On draft day I'd have taken Alec Ogletree and that is where my vote is.

First time I ever setup a poll so if this doesn't work right I apologize. I will leave this up for a couple days to collect the votes. If there is not a clear winner (i.e. one player with 50% of the vote) I'll post a final poll with only the top two or three vote getters. From that the winner will be our draft choice. Pixote will be the honorary GM for this. He gets to vote as well but if we have a tie at the end, as GM he will make the final decision on who we draft.

On draft day I'd have taken Alec Ogletree and that is where my vote is.

Floyd, but am very pleased with Long. In hindsight, would have drafted Long. But just not on draft day.

Knowing Warford was there in the 2nd made this a tougher decision but with Longs versatility I stuck with the Bears pick in Kyle Long. Knowing how Kromer likes to work the OL from the inside out and with the Bears apparently not liking Brown/Carimi at OG then Long is the right pick.

I was somewhat against drafting a LB in the first since I think DJ and James will be more than competent there this year, and I'd hate to see the Bears draft a non starter 2 years in a row so that's why I didn't go Ogletree. Shariff Floyd is kind of the same way, he may have been able to beat out Paea to be the day 1 starter but I'm not so sure about that. I'm still on that TE high and would have loved Eifert as I thought he'd be a real difference maker but I'll stick with Long here.

Knowing Warford was there in the 2nd made this a tougher decision but with Longs versatility I stuck with the Bears pick in Kyle Long. Knowing how Kromer likes to work the OL from the inside out and with the Bears apparently not liking Brown/Carimi at OG then Long is the right pick.

I was somewhat against drafting a LB in the first since I think DJ and James will be more than competent there this year, and I'd hate to see the Bears draft a non starter 2 years in a row so that's why I didn't go Ogletree. Shariff Floyd is kind of the same way, he may have been able to beat out Paea to be the day 1 starter but I'm not so sure about that. I'm still on that TE high and would have loved Eifert as I thought he'd be a real difference maker but I'll stick with Long here.

I viewed Ogletree as our SLB starter this season, giving him a year to learn our defense, the NFL game, and bulk up a bit for him to take over as our MLB next season. The Bears could sign DJ Williams to a new deal next year if he's plays well and behaves and put him at SLB.

For me I think it comes down to Long/Bostic vs Ogletree/Warford vs Trufant/Warford vs Floyd/Warford

The first two seem to fill the biggest needs, and the last two do not address LB. Floyd seems to be the biggest luxury pick, though he may have been BPA.

As a member of the TalkBears groups redoing this draft, I vote Floyd only because Warford is available at #2 and it sets the rest of the draft up pretty well (as stated previously).

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

7. Fragel, OT, OSU

But I'm very pleased with the Long selection.

For me I think it comes down to Long/Bostic vs Ogletree/Warford vs Trufant/Warford vs Floyd/Warford

The first two seem to fill the biggest needs, and the last two do not address LB. Floyd seems to be the biggest luxury pick, though he may have been BPA.

That's almost exactly as I looked at it.

Long/Bostic - Need and BPA, but not purely either

Ogletree/Warford - Need and BPA, but not purely either

Floyd/Warford - BPA over need

Trufant/Warford - I would have hated this

Given that Green could be had in the 4th, and some had him rated higher than Bostic, the Floyd/Warford changeup seems acceptable.

Oline is our biggest need to get better. I have been complaining about this for probably since we had John Tait and Fred Miller so the next best lineman available is an easy choice. If he starts at the easiest position then we will be set on the left side of the line. He may end up being the starting left tackle for the next 10 years. I am not concerned with his playing time Gabe Carimi started at left tackle all his career and was rated to be good enough to start at right tackle which as not happened as of yet. I am looking forward to seeing what Kromer does with Long, Carimi and Mills however Mike Tice was supposed to be a Oline guru so I hope this isn't just hype.

Seems to me you have to view this as "what were you thinking when this pick was up?" and if so, I don't see how anyone can pick Long. At this time, I was thinking Emery had perfectly set us up to go BPA, and Floyd was the BPA. So that's where I went.

Seems to me you have to view this as "what were you thinking when this pick was up?" and if so, I don't see how anyone can pick Long. At this time, I was thinking Emery had perfectly set us up to go BPA, and Floyd was the BPA. So that's where I went.

I look at it this way... I'm assuming I'd have had the same information the Bears had. This means I was privy to all of the information scouting, etc was giving to Emery. And given that I have no reason to distrust Emery yet (his draft class last year is still unproven and is somewhat tainted by Lovie's involvement) I'm saying I'd have gone the same way the Bears did. If we're all to pretend we're experts on our own and go by all the internet sites and Mayocks and Kipers of the world, of course I'd have gone a different route. But there's no real reason to think those sites have any more knowledge than our own staff does. If they did, they'd have jobs in the NFL.

No, what these sites really do is set expectations and converge to a data set that everyone in the news media buys into. And then they broadcast that tripe as gospel. It gives simpletons like Hub Asskiss the right to say Emery blew the pick, which sells newspapers. And if Long develops into a great guard or solid tackle, NOBODY will ever hold Asskiss accountable. It's nice work if you can get it...

That is not the point at all. This has been explicitly stated on more than one occasion. It's a hindsight 50/50 draft, with us saying we could have picked better players at the spots available given that we aren't included in all the inside knowledge that would have given us a better idea of where players would actually fall. Without that knowledge, we obviously can't forecast future rounds. But since we'll never get that knowledge, we have to pretend that we did/would have, and make picks accordingly.

When looking at the list of players Kyle Long and Sylvester Williams are the only 2 players that would probably start and may improve the team and that is if Williams would he beat out Stephen Paea. Wouldn't Floyd play the same position as Melton, both the corners would be going against Tillman and Jennings who had exceptional years, Patterson would he beat out Marshall or Jefferies. Watching how Martellus Bennett played for the Giants last year and is expected to perform this year then the chances are Eiffert would not start. Now factoring in everything from last year and the off season signings which player helps us get better now and it has to be Kyle Long if he starts from day 1 however at the end of the day nothing is guaranteed and many posters felt Gabe Carimi was going to be our starting RT for the next 10 years.

When looking at the list of players Kyle Long and Sylvester Williams are the only 2 players that would probably start and may improve the team and that is if Williams would he beat out Stephen Paea. Wouldn't Floyd play the same position as Melton, both the corners would be going against Tillman and Jennings who had exceptional years, Patterson would he beat out Marshall or Jefferies. Watching how Martellus Bennett played for the Giants last year and is expected to perform this year then the chances are Eiffert would not start. Now factoring in everything from last year and the off season signings which player helps us get better now and it has to be Kyle Long if he starts from day 1 however at the end of the day nothing is guaranteed and many posters felt Gabe Carimi was going to be our starting RT for the next 10 years.

To me, a nickel CB, slot WR, and 2nd TE (if the team utilizes 2), are basically starting players...Or at the very least important parts of a team.

To me, a nickel CB, slot WR, and 2nd TE (if the team utilizes 2), are basically starting players...Or at the very least important parts of a team.

Would either of those positions improve the team better than a starting guard considering how poor the oline as been. We can get by on all the other positions but surely we need to improve the oline to create holes for Forte and keep Cutler from getting injured.

Would either of those positions improve the team better than a starting guard considering how poor the oline as been. We can get by on all the other positions but surely we need to improve the oline to create holes for Forte and keep Cutler from getting injured.

Well in hindsight Warford was there in the 2nd but the Bears can't make their pick in hindsight, which is why my vote actually went to Long...I was just pointing it out that those position, though not starters, are still key players.

To me, a slot WR or 2nd TE would end up being the 4th or 5th passing option on almost every play: (Marshall, Forte, M. Bennett, Jeffery). Also, at Nickelback, we have Hayden, McManis, and Bowman as options, so adding Trufant would give some nice flexibility after the season, but that was my last option. 2nd TE was not even considered for me.

To me, a slot WR or 2nd TE would end up being the 4th or 5th passing option on almost every play: (Marshall, Forte, M. Bennett, Jeffery). Also, at Nickelback, we have Hayden, McManis, and Bowman as options, so adding Trufant would give some nice flexibility after the season, but that was my last option. 2nd TE was not even considered for me.

Agreed. A 2nd TE or a slot WR in this offense is nothing but a luxury. Same goes for nickle DB. There is a reason they are a nickle and not a starter.

We really have no clue what the offense is gonna look like. They could have very well run an ace package as their base offense and run out Marshall-Eifert-Bennett-Jeffery as the 4 receivers. I voted for Long but that dynamic right there would have been something to get excited about.

As far as the nickle goes, those guys still play a big roll, esp in todays passing league. When matched up with the WRs of, lets say, the Pack I'd feel really comfortable about having Jennings-Peanut-Trufant matched up with their guys....But once again I voted for Long so I'm not even sure why I'm making the argument lol (perhaps because its slow).

We really have no clue what the offense is gonna look like. They could have very well run an ace package as their base offense and run out Marshall-Eifert-Bennett-Jeffery as the 4 receivers. I voted for Long but that dynamic right there would have been something to get excited about.

As far as the nickle goes, those guys still play a big roll, esp in todays passing league. When matched up with the WRs of, lets say, the Pack I'd feel really comfortable about having Jennings-Peanut-Trufant matched up with their guys....But once again I voted for Long so I'm not even sure why I'm making the argument lol (perhaps because its slow).

Based on Trestman's past offenses, and Kromer's, there was very little production from the #2 TE, and with signing Bennett to a fairly large contract, it is hard for me to see a TE in the 1st or 2nd round.

For a Nickelback, again, that is technically not a starter, is normally the 3rd best Corner on the team, and can go long stretches without playing. With that, the only justification I could see for taking a CB in the 1st is that it would give the Bears some payroll flexibility after this season (and maybe some leverage with Tillman/Jennings).

Floyd seemed like BPA, so I could see that pick with a minor need for the DT rotation. So for me it came down to LB and OL, and I have to believe the Bears believed in Long more than Ogletree.

Based on Trestman's past offenses, and Kromer's, there was very little production from the #2 TE, and with signing Bennett to a fairly large contract, it is hard for me to see a TE in the 1st or 2nd round.

For a Nickelback, again, that is technically not a starter, is normally the 3rd best Corner on the team, and can go long stretches without playing. With that, the only justification I could see for taking a CB in the 1st is that it would give the Bears some payroll flexibility after this season (and maybe some leverage with Tillman/Jennings).

Floyd seemed like BPA, so I could see that pick with a minor need for the DT rotation. So for me it came down to LB and OL, and I have to believe the Bears believed in Long more than Ogletree.

Thank you. End of discussion. Using the first round pick to select a #2 TE would have been stupid. Same goes for what amounts to a backup defensive back. Other needs are/were greater. Aside from the limited picks, there is a reason the Bears didn't draft either position, and did draft multiple players on the OL and at LB.

Bengals drafted Eifert when they already had Gresham, Eagles drafted Ertz with Brent Celek, and James Casey there, Escobar went to the Cowboys with Witten on the team....If the Bears thought Brown/Carimi could have got the job done at OG (which I had originally thought, I have no prob being wrong) I would not have had any problem with them taking Eifert in the first....I don't the Bengals, Eagles, or Cowboys were stupid for taking those guys....The NFL is moving to a 2 TE league and I just don't think ERod will be anything more than an HBack.

CB can be viewed exactly the same way LB was viewed. Do Bostic/Greene have a better chance of starting day 1 than lets say Trufant does? Ya, sure, but if Anderson and Williams play like they're capable of then they probably won't see the field making them nothing more than depth/future players. Trufant would have saw time this year and offered up the same flexibility drafting a LB would have given us. Drafting Trufant would have given the Bears the opportunity to either move Tillman to a FS spot or let one of Tillman/Jennings walk next year.

Once again, I don't know why I'm putting much effort into this argument seeing as I voted for Long lol.

I can't get excited about that idea with our #1 pick because if we don't protect the qb it won't matter who we throw out there. Having TO, randy moss(w/o ego) and jerry rice all together would be beyond awesome but if qb doesn't have time to get rid of ball would it really mattee

I can't get excited about that idea with our #1 pick because if we don't protect the qb it won't matter who we throw out there. Having TO, randy moss(w/o ego) and jerry rice all together would be beyond awesome but if qb doesn't have time to get rid of ball would it really mattee

Which is why my vote went to Kyle Long. I was wrong about a Carimi/Brown battle being good enough for the other OG spot with Slausson.

I know it's a bit confusing with me arguing for Eifert/Trufant but I'm all in with the Long pick.

Thank you. End of discussion. Using the first round pick to select a #2 TE would have been stupid. Same goes for what amounts to a backup defensive back. Other needs are/were greater. Aside from the limited picks, there is a reason the Bears didn't draft either position, and did draft multiple players on the OL and at LB.

Yeah, I was even shocked to see 2x LBs and 2x OLs taken in the first 4 picks. It showed the team's true priorities/needs.