Trying to get ball out of Cutler's hands faster

balta1701-A

Stealing this mini camp comment from ESPN:

ESPN analyst Herm Edwards raised an important and relevant point in this discussion about how the Chicago Bears hope to elevate quarterback Jay Cutler this season.

"Sometimes he hangs on to the big play too much," Edwards said. "[He] wants to make the extraordinary play rather than moving the chains. …. You don't always have to hit the home run in the passing game."

Let's add some context to Edwards' analysis. Cutler averaged the second-highest total of air yards per attempt in the NFL last season according to ESPN Stats & Information. His average pass traveled 10.03 yards past the line of scrimmage. As a result, Cutler spent an average of 2.74 seconds in the pocket per pass, longer than 24 other quarterbacks who made at least two starts. The connection of those two statistics stands to reason: It takes longer for a deeper throw opportunity to develop.

By comparison, consider that the New England Patriots' Tom Brady (2.46) and the Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning (2.49) -- two quarterbacks who routinely avoid sacks via quick releases -- ranked No. 2 and No. 5, respectively, in that category last season.

Obviously, pocket timing is somewhat subjective in terms of the raw numbers. But as long as the same procedures are used for each quarterback, the rankings tell us everything we need to know.

These figures help explain one of the big changes coach Marc Trestman has already communicated during offseason workouts. As Cutler said last month: "We don't want to hold the ball. We don't want to sit in the pocket for long periods of time. Obviously there are going to be plays where we're going to have to sit in there and deliver it. But for the most part, we want it gone."

If the approach works, Cutler will reduce his time in the pocket, and probably his average air yards per attempt as well. Those two statistics seem to me a reasonable measure of the Bears' progress this season.

So the difference between two of the best QB as far as getting the ball out quickly and Cutler, one of the worst at getting the ball out fast is appx. 3 tenths of a second? 0.3 Seconds? a hiccup?

Doesn't seem like much but it is. Much like the difference between a "Speed WR" (4.4) and a "possession WR" (4.7) is about .3 seconds.

The article reminds me a lot of the argument we had on here a few months ago where I busted out some PFF stats on how long Jay held the ball. Working the underneath stuff will obviously get the ball out quicker, and at the same time it forces defenses to drop more into coverage which then opens things up to hold it a little longer to work the deep ball. This obviously also helps the OL out which I believe was my argument a few months ago.

So the difference between two of the best QB as far as getting the ball out quickly and Cutler, one of the worst at getting the ball out fast is appx. 3 tenths of a second? 0.3 Seconds? a hiccup?

I think another factor that should be equated in this is completion rates. Of the other two it goes to reason their short and long route completions are more consistent. Cutler, not so much.

Edwards is right. Cutler does try for the "big play" moreso than others. A big reason why Marshall got such a huge chunk of looks and set the receiving yds record for the franchise. Roethlisberger is another that holds the ball "too long" but is larger and harder to bring down. Hopefully Cutler will be able to make the transition to the more quick release short passing that is the WCO.

His average time till sack was 4.01...which was the 4th longest time in the NFL.

That's a testament to no one sans Marshall being able to get open.

Or to nobody being able to catch a pass. Cutler does hold onto the ball too long at times but he also had to take his eyes off the WR too early due to pass rush. We can't know now (without watching all the game tape) if he'd have thrown the ball at the 2sec point but had to pull it down and move around the pocket and then pick a secondary target or force it to Marshall as he did far too often. Again, lots of factors and simplifying down to just one or two data points won't tell the whole story.

Or to nobody being able to catch a pass. Cutler does hold onto the ball too long at times but he also had to take his eyes off the WR too early due to pass rush. We can't know now (without watching all the game tape) if he'd have thrown the ball at the 2sec point but had to pull it down and move around the pocket and then pick a secondary target or force it to Marshall as he did far too often. Again, lots of factors and simplifying down to just one or two data points won't tell the whole story.
.3 seconds is an eternity in the NFL. That's 10-15 feet of movement from a defender.

.3 seconds is an eternity in the NFL. That's 10-15 feet of movement from a defender.

I don't know if it's THAT much. An average MLB runner can run 15-20 feet in 1 second. I doubt a defender, who typically run backwards or side to side, can run 10-15 feet in 0.3 seconds. I do catch your drift though and I agree. 0.3 seconds is a lot.

I don't know if it's THAT much. An average MLB runner can run 15-20 feet in 1 second. I doubt a defender, who typically run backwards or side to side, can run 10-15 feet in 0.3 seconds. I do catch your drift though and I agree. 0.3 seconds is a lot.

You are definately right on the high end. If a guy runs a 4.6, which is very realistic for an LB, that's 26 feet per second. Since we are talking about .3 seconds at the end of a pass play, giving an LB momentum, I think 10 feet is very close. Definately a body length.

His average time till sack was 4.01...which was the 4th longest time in the NFL.

That's a testament to no one sans Marshall being able to get open.

That stat is complete shit.

Without factoring QB scrambling, QB hits, QB hurries, blown plays, throw always, etc., etc. the stat is incomplete. I'd say his average time til sack was higher because he had to run away more often because his protection broke down so much quicker than most others.

Without factoring QB scrambling, QB hits, QB hurries, blown plays, throw always, etc., etc. the stat is incomplete. I'd say his average time til sack was higher because he had to run away more often because his protection broke down so much quicker than most others.

The stat you want to see is average time to QB pressure. The new coaches are focused on making sure we don't give up early pressure on the QB. That should help him get set, read the defense, and find the target.

Exactly. Looking at just 4 sec without other factors ppl would think the line was good and well no one with an ounce of a brain could say good and our line in the same sentence

While I'm first to say stats can be misleading, it's not true that the article's entire argument is based on time to thow.

"Cutler averaged the second-highest total of air yards per attempt in the NFL last season according to ESPN Stats & Information."

That just seems crazy with our lack of offensive line protection, yet it apparently happened anyway. It's worth raising an eyebrow to at least.

While I'm first to say stats can be misleading, it's not true that the article's entire argument is based on time to thow.

"Cutler averaged the second-highest total of air yards per attempt in the NFL last season according to ESPN Stats & Information."

That just seems crazy with our lack of offensive line protection, yet it apparently happened anyway. It's worth raising an eyebrow to at least.

That's a great point.