Well now the battle is on with the O-line

Wesson44

If its quite clear no one is being handed a job outside of bushrod then why would that article simply state that its unlikely that webb will be given a push from anyone. Unless you believe that the writer if that article is saying that because Webb is light years better than any other person for that job. Sorry but u will have a hard time finding anyone that believes that. I bet SCS even thinks that Webb is better but someone could at least compete and push him

Exactly.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its quite clear no one is being handed a job outside of bushrod then why would that article simply state that its unlikely that webb will be given a push from anyone. Unless you believe that the writer if that article is saying that because Webb is light years better than any other person for that job. Sorry but u will have a hard time finding anyone that believes that. I bet SCS even thinks that Webb is better but someone could at least compete and push him

Balta is correct...what would be the point of bringing in so many lineman if there won't be a competition? Yes, the article is actually saying that Webb isn't the worst OT in the league and that he was actually pretty solid.

But he's Chicagos favorite whipping boy and there's no stopping the JHate Nation.

Balta is correct...what would be the point of bringing in so many lineman if there won't be a competition? Yes, the article is actually saying that Webb isn't the worst OT in the league and that he was actually pretty solid.

But he's Chicagos favorite whipping boy and there's no stopping the JHate Nation.

Your interpretation is different than mine. The original snippet from a Pompeii Q&A:

What are the chances somebody beats out J’Marcus Webb at RT? Is he locked in? -- @stcollins23, from Twitter

The only way someone beats out Webb is if Webb falls on his face in camp. I’d be surprised if that happened. Webb probably has to show a little something just because he is dealing with an entirely new group of coaches. And he will have competition from Jonathan Scott, who is a consistent, veteran pro. Scott won’t fall on his face, and I would bet on that. But it’s Webb’s job to lose.

Sounds like while there may be a lot of OLinemen in for competition, there isn't much competition being thrown Webb's way at RT. I don't see anything in there about him being solid, because he wasn't.

He was average, and based of the things we know about this coaching staff I think he'll be better than average this year.

So moving the goalposts huh? You admit that there doesn't appear to be much competition being thrown his way at RT?

So moving the goalposts huh? You admit that there doesn't appear to be much competition being thrown his way at RT?

I was just touching on the last little comment...I thought it was pretty clear that there would be a lot of competition...Jonathon Scott who a lot of people here have called solid....Jordan Mills is someone people here already like...and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that James Brown or Kyle Long are getting shots at RT. Then you've also got guys like Lindeman, Cory Brandon, and possibly even Britton (who used to play OT for the Jags).

I mean how much competition do you want? How are they gonna get enough reps in for everyone.

You lost credibility last year with your constant support of Chris Williams over Webb. (Even after Williams clearly lost and is currently sucking elsewhere) Don't go there again please.

Now, we have Scott and the rookie competing and it's the same old thing. Webb, again, is not being handed anything. You mentioned in another post, he must be Dez White? Don't you think the coaches looked at the three years of game film on him? (over and over) If he WINS the job, he's the BEST we have period. The reason he was NOT replaced is because he was one of the BEST we had last year. Trust me, I'm NOT a Webb fan. But if he continues to improve as he did last year, he'll be your whipping boy for the next decade.

Objectivity has it's place...

Thank you Mongo and B4E. It's really hard to say the Bears didn't bring in competition this year. As I said earlier, it seemed most everyone here wanted Scott back and have said he did an adequate job at RT. They delivered. Then you guys wanted an OT in the draft. They took a projected 3rd rounder Jordan Mills in the 5th. Bushrod can be thrown into this conversation as well.....

What more do you want?

Did you want them to pay a few mill to sign another big name RT? Possibly missing out on Martellus Bennett in the process. I don't know about you guys but I love the Bennett signing.

When did you wanna see them take an OT in the draft? OGs are the vocal point of the OL for Kromer, don't think they were passing on him to take who? Melenik Watson was the next OT taken at 42(2nd round)...Did you not want Bostic in the 2nd? Terron Armstead was the next OT taken at 75(3rd round)...Did you not want the huge value Greene presented us in the 4th to take Oday Abushi? Both Abushi and Mills are both projected 3rd rounders so there's not much difference there.

I mean come on now, the no competition theory is out the window.

The Tice/Webb favoritism theory is out the window as well.

There will be a battle and whoever wins, wins.

Thank you Mongo and B4E. It's really hard to say the Bears didn't bring in competition this year. As I said earlier, it seemed most everyone here wanted Scott back and have said he did an adequate job at RT. They delivered. Then you guys wanted an OT in the draft. They took a projected 3rd rounder Jordan Mills in the 5th. Bushrod can be thrown into this conversation as well.....

What more do you want?

Did you want them to pay a few mill to sign another big name RT? Possibly missing out on Martellus Bennett in the process. I don't know about you guys but I love the Bennett signing.

When did you wanna see them take an OT in the draft? OGs are the vocal point of the OL for Kromer, don't think they were passing on him to take who? Melenik Watson was the next OT taken at 42(2nd round)...Did you not want Bostic in the 2nd? Terron Armstead was the next OT taken at 75(3rd round)...Did you not want the huge value Greene presented us in the 4th to take Oday Abushi? Both Abushi and Mills are both projected 3rd rounders so there's not much difference there.

I mean come on now, the no competition theory is out the window.

The Tice/Webb favoritism theory is out the window as well.

There will be a battle and whoever wins, wins.

Where in the article does it clearly state there is a battle. It doesn't. It specifically states that while Scott is there Webb would have to fall flat on his face in order to lose it. That's not a battle. If it was truly a battle that would mean if Scott outplayed Webb even a little that Scott gets the gig not Webb. That's all I'm asking for. I'm not whipping Webb 1 damn bit here and if u can't see that maybe your blind. What's so wrong with a true battle where best man wins.

Where in the article does it clearly state there is a battle. It doesn't. It specifically states that while Scott is there Webb would have to fall flat on his face in order to lose it. That's not a battle. If it was truly a battle that would mean if Scott outplayed Webb even a little that Scott gets the gig not Webb. That's all I'm asking for. I'm not whipping Webb 1 damn bit here and if u can't see that maybe your blind. What's so wrong with a true battle where best man wins.

You're taking the writer's opinion as fact. It's my opinion that the Bears bringing in all of the bodies they did at OL can mean only one thing, they're looking for competition at EVERY spot on the line.

You lost credibility last year with your constant support of Chris Williams over Webb. (Even after Williams clearly lost and is currently sucking elsewhere) Don't go there again please.

Now, we have Scott and the rookie competing and it's the same old thing. Webb, again, is not being handed anything. You mentioned in another post, he must be Dez White? Don't you think the coaches looked at the three years of game film on him? (over and over) If he WINS the job, he's the BEST we have period. The reason he was NOT replaced is because he was one of the BEST we had last year. Trust me, I'm NOT a Webb fan. But if he continues to improve as he did last year, he'll be your whipping boy for the next decade.

Objectivity has it's place...

Are you serious, dude? First of all, credibility was not lost with the Williams vs. Webb discussion because Webb ended up being less than average (regardless of what ridiculous stats from PFF say). Williams did, in fact, play better overall than Webb in the preseason, and in my opinion should have started over Webb. Or at least have been given a shot once Webb played the way he did. You can't use the "but Webb started"-defense either, because it wasn't successful in any fashion (i.e. Lovie and Tice gone, Bears offense one of the worst in the NFL, Bears OL one of the worst units in the NFL). And we can never, NEVER know what Williams would have done had he been given the chances Webb had. It was plainly obvious that Tice gave Webb more looks and focus and support than he did Williams.

Did Webb improve? Sure. But it's hard to go down from sucking as bad as he did the previous years. As for looking at three years of game film, I honestly don't know what it could be, but I believe it to be about something exterior to purely film. Because if they did look at three years of film they would have gotten rid of Webb before Carimi (2.x years of bad play is worse than 1 year of bad play).

If Webb continues to improve, he won't remain the whipping boy. You can trust me on that. Especially if all the bodies coming into the Bears organization are meant to challenge at all positions. The article, however, makes it appear that Webb is getting little competition, regardless of the number of other OLinemen in camp. The problem is, and has been for multiple years with Bears fans, the memory of plays from a completed year always seem to improve over the actual production during the games. Webb was at best slightly below average last year, period. In comparison to the rest of the OL, he might have been the cleanest end of the turd, but he was still part of the turd.

You're taking the writer's opinion as fact. It's my opinion that the Bears bringing in all of the bodies they did at OL can mean only one thing, they're looking for competition at EVERY spot on the line.

I think this is the crux of the debate. If what the writer said is true, then all the bodies mean nothing because there is no competition. I'm trusting that the writer, Pompeii, has seen some of the practices that we have not, and at least can speak to the number of reps being divvied out. Or maybe he's dead wrong and there will be a free-for-all at RT? Since I haven't seen anything this year other than a few beat-writers' reports, the best we have to go on is what they've seen/counted.

I think this is the crux of the debate. If what the writer said is true, then all the bodies mean nothing because there is no competition. I'm trusting that the writer, Pompeii, has seen some of the practices that we have not, and at least can speak to the number of reps being divvied out. Or maybe he's dead wrong and there will be a free-for-all at RT? Since I haven't seen anything this year other than a few beat-writers' reports, the best we have to go on is what they've seen/counted.

Bingo. Its awesome they bring in all kinds of guys but if what the writer said is true all those bodies mean Jack shit. All I'm wanting is a true competition in camp and may the best man win. That's it simple as that. If Webb is that guy then fine I will get behind that but if Scott outplays Webb or mills and Webb starts I will be pissed. Webb hasn't earned anything to this point except a swift kick in the ass. We can't pretend webb is this amazing player when stats say he hasn't been. Has improved each yr? Absolutely he has. Still doesn't mean he's played even good up to this point

Bingo. Its awesome they bring in all kinds of guys but if what the writer said is true all those bodies mean Jack shit. All I'm wanting is a true competition in camp and may the best man win. That's it simple as that. If Webb is that guy then fine I will get behind that but if Scott outplays Webb or mills and Webb starts I will be pissed. Webb hasn't earned anything to this point except a swift kick in the ass. We can't pretend webb is this amazing player when stats say he hasn't been. Has improved each yr? Absolutely he has. Still doesn't mean he's played even good up to this point

The question is whether "Scott slightly outplaying Webb in practice" = Webb falling flat on his face (the terminology the writer used). I believe it probably does.

So basically our new staff sucks then and they were lying when they said the best 5 will be starting?

What purpose do they have in just handing Webb the position without a competition? There is literally no theory behind it. Next thing I'm gonna hear is "Webb must be black mailing the Mccaskeys" they're the only constant over the last 3 years.

So basically our new staff sucks then and they were lying when they said the best 5 will be starting?

What purpose do they have in just handing Webb the position without a competition? There is literally no theory behind it. Next thing I'm gonna hear is "Webb must be black mailing the Mccaskeys" they're the only constant over the last 3 years.

No one is saying staff sucks or anything like that. Come on. Please explain to me what's wrong with having Webb compete with Scott and/or mills for the RT job. What harm could possibly come with having Webb prove to the coaching staff that he deserves that job. I can think of anything bad coming from it.

No one is saying staff sucks or anything like that. Come on. Please explain to me what's wrong with having Webb compete with Scott and/or mills for the RT job. What harm could possibly come with having Webb prove to the coaching staff that he deserves that job. I can think of anything bad coming from it.

Dude, have you not read my posts? I'm clearly saying there's competition. Do I have to run through my 1am post again?

You, Jason, and maybe a few other guys are the ones that think that Webb is being handed the job for whatever reason. If thats the case, which I doubt it is, then this staff sucks.

Dude, have you not read my posts? I'm clearly saying there's competition. Do I have to run through my 1am post again?

You, Jason, and maybe a few other guys are the ones that think that Webb is being handed the job for whatever reason. If thats the case, which I doubt it is, then this staff sucks.

Did you even bother to read the article, the link, or the quote I posted?

It's not what we think. It's what we're replying to in regards to what an insider thinks. What you believe doesn't mean a lot right now because you haven't seen the team. Neither have we. But Pompeii has, and he seems to believe that Webb is basically being handed the job without competition.

Did you even bother to read the article, the link, or the quote I posted?

It's not what we think. It's what we're replying to in regards to what an insider thinks. What you believe doesn't mean a lot right now because you haven't seen the team. Neither have we. But Pompeii has, and he seems to believe that Webb is basically being handed the job without competition.

Thank you. I swear SCS can't read or just chooses not to because of his man love on Webb. Glad to see u get exactly what my point is. I tend to believe an award winning insider than some fan.

Thank you. I swear SCS can't read or just chooses not to because of his man love on Webb. Glad to see u get exactly what my point is. I tend to believe an award winning insider than some fan.

You you 2 choose to look to far into it because an insider thinks Webb has a strong grasp on the job and you can't accept that because of your hate for him.

Yes, I see what you mean with the wording of his statement but it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever for there not to be a competition. That's my point, I'm not gonna look to deep into a quote to pull out some rediculous theory that for whatever reason they are "yet again" just giving Webb the job. If you believe that then you should believe that this staff is just as garbage as the last......If I was as much of a "Webb lover" as you guys suggest I wouldn't even be suggesting a competition now would I?

I wish brianbear would show up and tell all of us how much pompei sucks anyway.

Once again I see what you mean but I think you're looking to far into it.

You you 2 choose to look to far into it because an insider thinks Webb has a strong grasp on the job and you can't accept that because of your hate for him.

Yes, I see what you mean with the wording of his statement but it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever for there not to be a competition. That's my point, I'm not gonna look to deep into a quote to pull out some rediculous theory that for whatever reason they are "yet again" just giving Webb the job. If you believe that then you should believe that this staff is just as garbage as the last......If I was as much of a "Webb lover" as you guys suggest I wouldn't even be suggesting a competition now would I?

I wish brianbear would show up and tell all of us how much pompei sucks anyway.

Once again I see what you mean but I think you're looking to far into it.

If pompei sucks so bad then why does he win awards on excellence. Lol. If I sat here and listed all the things that made no sense I would be here til nxt yr at least. I hope he's wrong about Webb but I tend to believe him over some fan with no connection to the team.

If pompei sucks so bad then why does he win awards on excellence. Lol. If I sat here and listed all the things that made no sense I would be here til nxt yr at least. I hope he's wrong about Webb but I tend to believe him over some fan with no connection to the team.

I only said that because BB has called me out for quoting Pompei in the past. It was a joke.

Look, I'm not a Pompeii fan by any means. I've read a lot of his stuff that I think is complete garbage. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the dude has been to practices we haven't. And I'm also pretty sure he can count. Those two things put together are probably the basis for his comments about Webb basically being handed the job. It's not like a coach told him that Webb was virtually a lock at RT.

Look, I'm not a Pompeii fan by any means. I've read a lot of his stuff that I think is complete garbage. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the dude has been to practices we haven't. And I'm also pretty sure he can count. Those two things put together are probably the basis for his comments about Webb basically being handed the job. It's not like a coach told him that Webb was virtually a lock at RT.

I shot down SCS earlier in this thread so I think it's only fair that I say, IMO, Jason and Bowlingtwig are full of shit on this issue. The actual quote is:

The only way someone beats out Webb is if Webb falls on his face in camp.

To me that means there's a competition but Pompeii believes Webb has them all bested on talent. Nowhere does Pompeii say Webb is being handed the job. I'd say shorthand for what he's saying is "It's his job to lose because nobody else on the team looks to be better."

And that's how I feel Tice and Lovie evaluated the situation too. I don't believe he ever got a job handed to him. I think the former staff looked at the same things Pompeii is seeing and said "He's got what it takes and we need to establish some continuity in the line ASAP so we're going to name him the starter." The failing was not having someone better because Webb sucked donkey balls. But I don't believe for a second that Lovie or Tice thought they had a better answer on the team and ignored it. It isn't logical.

But then again, most of the childish arguments here have little logic in them. Carry on ladies.