Well now the battle is on with the O-line

Wesson44

Well our O-line will be different this year for sure, but now different and who plays where is the $100,000 dollar question. The bold IMHO will be the starters with a coin flip

at RT between Webb and Scott now that Carimi has been traded

Boggs, Garza,Williams, Lonergan, at center

Slauson, Long, Dennis, Mills, Britton at guard

Brandon, Brown,Bushrod, Mills, Scott, Webb, at tackle

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garza didn't play that well last year so I think he has real competition in Lonergan. I agree he's the favorite and should end up the starter but after seeing all the changes this coaching staff has made on the line he's far from secure as a starter IMO. I prefer to have his experience making calls especially if he's going to be next to a guy like Long who has very limited experience playing OG.

Garza didn't play that well last year so I think he has real competition in Lonergan. I agree he's the favorite and should end up the starter but after seeing all the changes this coaching staff has made on the line he's far from secure as a starter IMO. I prefer to have his experience making calls especially if he's going to be next to a guy like Long who has very limited experience playing OG.

Garza will definitely be starting with all the new faces, but hopefully someone develops so he can be gone next year.

Garza will definitely be starting with all the new faces, but hopefully someone develops so he can be gone next year.

It doesn't matter if Garza starts or not. There has been complete turnover at the G and T positions and completely new system. So, what does Garza offer that anyone else doesn't?

It doesn't matter if Garza starts a compor not. There has been complete turnover at the G and T positions and completely new system. So, what does Garza offer that anyone else doesn't?

I agree and hoping for a complete overhaul at OL and that includes C. I know Longergan was undrafted but he started 4 years at LSU and I hope he is our next Kruetz!

Well our O-line will be different this year for sure, but now different and who plays where is the $100,000 dollar question. The bold IMHO will be the starters with a coin flip

at RT between Webb and Scott now that Carimi has been traded

Boggs, Garza,Williams, Lonergan, at center

Slauson, Long, Dennis, Mills, Britton at guard

Brandon, Brown,Bushrod, Mills, Scott, Webb, at tackle

Why not Mills at RT?

Bears | J'Marcus Webb certainty for RT?

Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:46:15 -0700

Chicago Bears OT J'Marcus Webb is the team's starting right tackle, and it is unlikely he will be pushed much for the job unless he has an absolutely awful training camp and preseason.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl/chicago-bears#ixzz2WU8MKmAU

Really? This guy was one of the worst if not the worst offensive lineman in the NFL and he gets ANOTHER free pass? I sure hope this isn't true and they are just throwing stuff against the wall to make a "story" during the slowtime before training camp.

Bears | J'Marcus Webb certainty for RT?

Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:46:15 -0700

Chicago Bears OT J'Marcus Webb is the team's starting right tackle, and it is unlikely he will be pushed much for the job unless he has an absolutely awful training camp and preseason.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl/chicago-bears#ixzz2WU8MKmAU

Really? This guy was one of the worst if not the worst offensive lineman in the NFL and he gets ANOTHER free pass? I sure hope this isn't true and they are just throwing stuff against the wall to make a "story" during the slowtime before training camp.

I agree with you, fluff, doesn't make sense to me.

I know one thing for sure, this coaching staff is not going to be like the last and keep on trusting players saying they are going to improve, they have faith in them. That is why our OL was so bad the past 4-5 years.

I firmly believe they will start the best 5 players and I honestly do not believe Webb is one of them. I have said in the past and I repeat, I remember his play at ROT in the past before being switched to LOT. He sucked at ROT. He sucked at LOT. He is a good experienced back-up option for both positions in case of injury but that is it.

I suspect ROT will be between 3 players, Jonathan Scott (who I thought did exceptionally well before being injured last year), Jordan Mills (very interesting draft pick) and Kyle Long (although it is stated he will start off as an option at OG I would not be surprised to see him land at ROT if he has an excellent camp).

Webbs problem was caused by LBs in space. LBs last year had nothing to worry about with the Bears not possessing a TE worth a damn or Forte being a real threat out of the backfield. This year LBs will have to wait and keep an eye on what Forte and hopefully a FB/HBack will be doing before they can attack the QB. I think Webb will be fine matched up against DEs and the bull rush (something Carimi wasn't able to handle).

He also won't be left on an island with a teams best pass rusher.

or Forte being a real threat out of the backfield.

I think you got this one reversed. Forte has averaged over 50 catches a year in his career and if he wasn't a threat last year just because that number dropped a little it was because the line, and your boy Webb, sucked so back they had to keep extra protection back there most of the time. If you have a line worth a damn you can get your RB's out of the backfield.

I think you got this one reversed. Forte has averaged over 50 catches a year in his career and if he wasn't a threat last year just because that number dropped a little it was because the line, and your boy Webb, sucked so back they had to keep extra protection back there most of the time. If you have a line worth a damn you can get your RB's out of the backfield.

Thing is despite what everyone wants to believe Webb wasn't the one benefiting from the extra protection so that argument is moot. At least in the 2 games I solely focused on him he was stuck on an island 80%+ of the time.

All signs point to Forte being even more involved in the pass game this year which forces even more pressure on the LBs to cover him.

I also think leaving in extra protectors in some cases is even worse than sending out 5 receivers. More receivers out, the less pass rushers coming in. Trestman talked about this early on.

Thing is despite what everyone wants to believe Webb wasn't the one benefiting from the extra protection so that argument is moot. At least in the 2 games I solely focused on him he was stuck on an island 80%+ of the time.

All signs point to Forte being even more involved in the pass game this year which forces even more pressure on the LBs to cover him.

I also think leaving in extra protectors in some cases is even worse than sending out 5 receivers. More receivers out, the less pass rushers coming in. Trestman talked about this early on.

And when your boy Webb sucks again u will have another excuse. I lost count how many times he completely whiffed on his man. I don't care if he's on an island all by his lonesome there are absolutely no excuses for u to whiff so bad u can't even get a finger on the guy. The way I see things a linemans job is to do whatever he can to stop his man from getting to the qb/ball carrier and best way to do that is to put your large assin the way

And when your boy Webb sucks again u will have another excuse. I lost count how many times he completely whiffed on his man. I don't care if he's on an island all by his lonesome there are absolutely no excuses for u to whiff so bad u can't even get a finger on the guy. The way I see things a linemans job is to do whatever he can to stop his man from getting to the qb/ball carrier and best way to do that is to put your large assin the way

Don't waste your time, dude. I mean, to me it's obvious you can't send out 5 receivers when your QB is getting hit by the snap and the guy lined up across from Webb at almost the same time. Hell, even Webb admitted he sucked! But he's got his biggest apologist on the internet right here on our site.

We all hope Webb's grown and improves a lot. We'll see. But to say Forte didn't help the line by being a force in the passing game is just asinine. Give him and Cutler a few seconds to produce and then let's talk.

I'm going to take a stab at this and say the Webb starts for now. That said, a lot can happen before the first game of the regular season. I think the staff sees just enough in him (probably the physical tools) to ride it a bit. Given the reputations of the coaches, I would imagine that if they are not happy with him, he will be bounced to back-up or worse depending.

The guy is young. If for some strange reason, he puts down the pipe, let's the light turn on, and mentally gets in the game...he could be a pleasant surprise. I, like many, are not expecting that to happen. However, I conceed that it is possible. Until we see more, I will trust the staff to make the right call to protect Cutler and max our run blocking.

You got that right, Don Quixote! ;)

I personally feel that I could care less who is left standing and cashing checks from the old regime right now. All I care is who is standing and protecting/blocking during the regular season. I am putting my trust in the new coaching staff to make the right call. I simply am giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Others here, are more skeptical. The road to that could prove interesting and prove many people right or wrong.

I forgot that it's pointless to argue with you people on Chicagos favorite whipping boy....Funny that he's one of only 2 players on the line to still have a job ATM. And the Tice love child theory is out of the window.

You got that right, Don Quixote! ;)

I personally feel that I could care less who is left standing and cashing checks from the old regime right now. All I care is who is standing and protecting/blocking during the regular season. I am putting my trust in the new coaching staff to make the right call. I simply am giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Others here, are more skeptical. The road to that could prove interesting and prove many people right or wrong.

This 100%

Peace :dabears

I forgot that it's pointless to argue with you people on Chicagos favorite whipping boy....Funny that he's one of only 2 players on the line to still have a job ATM. And the Tice love child theory is out of the window.

His replacement was drafted. Keep in mind, our coaches have not even handed the 1st Rd pick a starting job. I know Long was not at minicamp, et al but they've said he'll have to earn that job. I'm not saying Webb won't end up as our starter at RT but it is far from certain.

All I can think of is Dez White. Webb must be the same - great practice player, bad game player. That's the only excuse I can think of right now. Well, that and the fact that the Bears couldn't reinvent the ENTIRE OL in one offseason, and maybe Webb was just the lucky roll of the 5-sided die?

All I can think of is Dez White. Webb must be the same - great practice player, bad game player. That's the only excuse I can think of right now. Well, that and the fact that the Bears couldn't reinvent the ENTIRE OL in one offseason, and maybe Webb was just the lucky roll of the 5-sided die?

No way he's "Just lucky". They must think he has a shot at being effective in this system or he'd already be gone, but it's a very good thing that no one on that line has a slot being handed to them.

I've said from beginning that Webb will probably start however I've also said a thousand times that he can't be just given the damn job. His play hasn't ever been good enough to simply just give him starting gig without competition. I don't give a damn who the coaching staff is. U make it a competition and may the best man win. If Webb wins then fine I can get behind that but to simply give him a job does a complete disservice to everyone around. I personally want to see competition every where on the field so don't think for a damn second I'm just hating on Webb here. No one should ever be just given a starting job after doing nothing there whole career. Don't tell me about potential either of Webb. Its about what have u done for me lately. How can anyone justify giving Webb a job while being OK with letting cutler go at end of yr. Cutler has at least done something in his time here. And if Webb is given the job with no competition I hope cutler lays his ass out cold the nxt time he completely whiffs on a block

I've said from beginning that Webb will probably start however I've also said a thousand times that he can't be just given the damn job. His play hasn't ever been good enough to simply just give him starting gig without competition. I don't give a damn who the coaching staff is. U make it a competition and may the best man win. If Webb wins then fine I can get behind that but to simply give him a job does a complete disservice to everyone around. I personally want to see competition every where on the field so don't think for a damn second I'm just hating on Webb here. No one should ever be just given a starting job after doing nothing there whole career. Don't tell me about potential either of Webb. Its about what have u done for me lately. How can anyone justify giving Webb a job while being OK with letting cutler go at end of yr. Cutler has at least done something in his time here. And if Webb is given the job with no competition I hope cutler lays his ass out cold the nxt time he completely whiffs on a block

I think it's quite clear that no one on that line is being handed a job, with the exception of Bushrod. Everyone else is on a short leash.

I think it's quite clear that no one on that line is being handed a job, with the exception of Bushrod. Everyone else is on a short leash.

True. We have like 18 offensive lineman on the roster now, don't we? :)

EDIT: Ha! I actually thought I was guessing high but if you count TE's we've got 19 linemen on the roster right now.

If its quite clear no one is being handed a job outside of bushrod then why would that article simply state that its unlikely that webb will be given a push from anyone. Unless you believe that the writer if that article is saying that because Webb is light years better than any other person for that job. Sorry but u will have a hard time finding anyone that believes that. I bet SCS even thinks that Webb is better but someone could at least compete and push him