Well now the battle is on with the O-line

Wesson44

Pure conjecture on your part. The rest of your post is a giant straw man argument. I never once said Webb was anything but shitty. Unfortunately, the Bears didn't have someone better or he would've started. That's my opinion. Your opinion about other options means less to me than that of Lovie's. Despite the fact that he was fired, you've never even been hired. In fact, if there was a list of guys the Bears were considering for personnel jobs with millions and millions of names on the list, you wouldn't be on the list. Get over yourself.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. You have a very short, or selective, memory.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010092...09299883/print/

Tice, it is thought, is the reason the Bears even looked at Webb late in the draft this year. During a private workout, Webb hit the blocking sled so hard that Webb chipped the coach's tooth.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is I never said my name belongs on the list whereas Jason honestly believes he could do better than at least 80% of the personnel guys and coaches out there today. So you're bringing me into this portion of the argument is moot.

Wrong again. I just think that many of you guys act as if because someone is a GM or personnel guy in the NFL that their position dictates their opinions/decisions are untouchable. This couldn't be further from the truth. And the Bears personnel decisions, both drafts and who to start, show that. The fact of the matter is, no matter how much you guys want to fellate NFL GMs, they have no science to selection, and could be wrong just as much as someone on this board. In terms of JA and the former regime who undoubtedly advised him of their opinions and who they'd like to select, that's even more evident since the number of draftees on the team is so ridiculously low. You could probably drafted via dart board and had the same success rate.

For the record, I never said I could measure up to a coach in the NFL. I think Lovie had a very difficult time with the gametime decisions, and his judgement on when to toss the red flag is hilariously poor, but his X's and O's knowledge is vastly superior to the average Joe. The reason why, of course, is that there is a helluva lot more skill and knowledge required to be a successful NFL coach than there is to being a personnel guy.

Ok even if the whole Tice/Webb connection is true....What theory do you have now?

There is just no valid argument anymore.....The only thing you can throw out there is "well this staff must suck too" or "our player evaluation is still highly questionable" .....is that where we're going already? Months before the season has even started?

Damn this staff for being liars

Like I already said, it's a relative unknown why Webb would be just handed the job (And regardless of what you say Cracker, that's basically what Pompeii is saying when he states that Webb would have to fall on his face to lose the job. There is literally no other way to interpret the Pompeii statement. Fall flat on your face means embarrassing failure. So, if Pompeii is right, Webb could screw up considerably, as long as it's not egregious, and the job is still his. If that's competition, then we must use a different dictionary.). The only thoughts regarding the new staff are:

1. They saw something on film that they think Kromer could turn into gold. Maybe it's the same thing Lovie and Tice saw, but they were just inadequate as coaches?

2. They didn't want to revamp the entire OL in one offseason, and there really wasn't a position in which they could have grabbed a RT in the draft (you pointed to this) or FA (mostly financial).

3. They graded him out as the best of the worst. The clean end of the turd. They are giving him an audition and they're replacing him next year unless he improves drastically.

Lastly they haven't even put on pads so we should all stfu lol

/end thread

You know what's hilarious is that this entire time Jason and I have said "IF POMPEII IS RIGHT". no where did we say that we are taking his word as the word of god yet the 2 of u Jump down our throats because u think that's how we are taking it. Think about for a minute. If Pompeii is right wouldn't u question the staff also. I hope u would

I didn't jump down anyones throat. I was civil at the beginning stating why I was ok with Webb being in the lead for the RT position. Then I got jumped on for that. Then I simply pointed out all the potential RTs we have on our team only to get told I'm wrong based off what Pompei (One I guys) said.

Seriously though, despite what that answer looks like I just don't see if Scott, Mills, Brown, or Long (if the last 2 get tested there) out preform Webb that Webb would be the starting RT.....There is just no reason for there not to be the best 5 out there.

I suppose there is the remote possibility that Webb actually did what he said he'd do this offseason after he got arrested....work.

To go along with that there's a remote possibility that reconnecting with Richmond Webb (I forget how they're related cousin/uncle) also did him a lot of good.

I didn't jump down anyones throat. I was civil at the beginning stating why I was ok with Webb being in the lead for the RT position. Then I got jumped on for that. Then I simply pointed out all the potential RTs we have on our team only to get told I'm wrong based off what Pompei (One I guys) said.

Seriously though, despite what that answer looks like I just don't see if Scott, Mills, Brown, or Long (if the last 2 get tested there) out preform Webb that Webb would be the starting RT.....There is just no reason for there not to be the best 5 out there.

There's never a good reason not to have the best players out there if healthy ever yet how many times do we see it happen. That's my point

There's never a good reason not to have the best players out there if healthy ever yet how many times do we see it happen. That's my point

And I agree with that first point. And I also venture to believe that we have seen that every year and will continue to see it this year. I just can't believe that a professional staff can be so incompetent to do so otherwise. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. This isn't little league where the coaches son is playing despite being god awful (I've been on those teams).

And I agree with that first point. And I also venture to believe that we have seen that every year and will continue to see it this year. I just can't believe that a professional staff can be so incompetent to do so otherwise. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. This isn't little league where the coaches son is playing despite being god awful (I've been on those teams).

Yet professional staffs are doing this quite a bit

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. You have a very short, or selective, memory.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010092...09299883/print/

Tice, it is thought, is the reason the Bears even looked at Webb late in the draft this year. During a private workout, Webb hit the blocking sled so hard that Webb chipped the coach's tooth.

LOL! Man you're reaching now. So because a coach watched a private workout he's personally vested in the guy? And what would explain what you claim to be the same thing happening again this year? Also, did Emery have such a vested interest in the guy LAST YEAR that he decided to blow off the line for a season?

Get real.

You know what's hilarious is that this entire time Jason and I have said "IF POMPEII IS RIGHT". no where did we say that we are taking his word as the word of god yet the 2 of u Jump down our throats because u think that's how we are taking it. Think about for a minute. If Pompeii is right wouldn't u question the staff also. I hope u would

You realize all your old posts are still available here in this thread, right?

In your opinion. See, they've actually made a different assessment than you and Jason The Great. In each case, those professionals have looked at all of the evidence and said these are my best 22. They clearly aren't right all of the time but they also clearly aren't sitting a guy for someone they feel is inferior. THAT doesn't happen, ever.

I didn't jump down anyones throat.

Even if you (or I) did, it's all in good fun here and we should be vocal and excited about our opinions. With that said, the thing you'll see me "jump on someone" for mostly is conspiracy theory nonsense and stupidity. All of a sudden because of one article by Pompei our staff was handing the job to Webb. Oh, OK.

In your opinion. See, they've actually made a different assessment than you and Jason The Great. In each case, those professionals have looked at all of the evidence and said these are my best 22. They clearly aren't right all of the time but they also clearly aren't sitting a guy for someone they feel is inferior. THAT doesn't happen, ever.

In 2010 Webb was a complete and utter joke and coaching staff named him starter at LT during camp. Anybody in there right mind would have at least had a competition. Yet nothing. That's a joke and u know it. And your the 1 who wants to go by exactly what Pompeii said. So I guess that means in your opinion as long as Webb doesn't literally fall flat on his face its his job at RT. I'm the 1 saying "IF" yet you continue to miss that part

Even if you (or I) did, it's all in good fun here and we should be vocal and excited about our opinions. With that said, the thing you'll see me "jump on someone" for mostly is conspiracy theory nonsense and stupidity. All of a sudden because of one article by Pompei our staff was handing the job to Webb. Oh, OK.

Dude we said "if". Wake up would u. I hate conspiracy theorists. Don't u dare jump to conclusions after u just ripped me for thinking I was jumping to conclusions. Maybe we need to staple the word IF on your forehead. Maybe u need a dictionary to figure out what that means

In 2010 Webb was a complete and utter joke and coaching staff named him starter at LT during camp. Anybody in there right mind would have at least had a competition. Yet nothing. That's a joke and u know it. And your the 1 who wants to go by exactly what Pompeii said. So I guess that means in your opinion as long as Webb doesn't literally fall flat on his face its his job at RT. I'm the 1 saying "IF" yet you continue to miss that part

Now you're just being a child.

Show me proof of the professional incompetence that is benching a player that has performed better than the starter....Maybe in the NBA or NHL where they wanna bring a spark off the bench but it makes little to no sense not to play your best guy in the NFL.

What purpose would it serve to bring back Scott and draft Mills if they were already set in stone with Webb? Or what point would it be to start Webb over those 2 if one of those 2 perform better? There is no point or purpose.

Just because it's Webbs name that is being thrown out there some will automatically hate it....What if Pompei (c'mon guys 1 I in Pompei) said "Well right now it looks like Scott or Mills is the one to beat for RT"? I highly doubt we'd be having the same convo.

We all want competition, there will be competition, and I will trust this new staff to put our best player at RT.

Dude we said "if". Wake up would u. I hate conspiracy theorists. Don't u dare jump to conclusions after u just ripped me for thinking I was jumping to conclusions. Maybe we need to staple the word IF on your forehead. Maybe u need a dictionary to figure out what that means

It was post #38 in this thread when Jason final said "If" and that was after I pointed out that you two were accepting the writer's opinion as fact. And even then Jason said "yadda yadda that's all we've got to go on, yadda yadda." Well, no we don't. We have common sense to go on as well. And the fact that the coaching staff has told us they were going to have competition at every position.

I very clearly defined what I thought Pompei meant by his comment and you were already too emotional about the subject to see how logical what I was saying was. Threatening me with violence shows just how badly you've lost this one dude. Let's move on. I'm done here.

It was post #38 in this thread when Jason final said "If" and that was after I pointed out that you two were accepting the writer's opinion as fact. And even then Jason said "yadda yadda that's all we've got to go on, yadda yadda." Well, no we don't. We have common sense to go on as well. And the fact that the coaching staff has told us they were going to have competition at every position.

I very clearly defined what I thought Pompei meant by his comment and you were already too emotional about the subject to see how logical what I was saying was. Threatening me with violence shows just how badly you've lost this one dude. Let's move on. I'm done here.

Coming from someone who gas always acted like he is always right about everything. I threaten violence because its quite clear that's the only way your gonna understand by damn point. Even then I'm not sure u ever will

Show me proof of the professional incompetence that is benching a player that has performed better than the starter....Maybe in the NBA or NHL where they wanna bring a spark off the bench but it makes little to no sense not to play your best guy in the NFL.

What purpose would it serve to bring back Scott and draft Mills if they were already set in stone with Webb? Or what point would it be to start Webb over those 2 if one of those 2 perform better? There is no point or purpose.

Just because it's Webbs name that is being thrown out there some will automatically hate it....What if Pompei (c'mon guys 1 I in Pompei) said "Well right now it looks like Scott or Mills is the one to beat for RT"? I highly doubt we'd be having the same convo.

We all want competition, there will be competition, and I will trust this new staff to put our best player at RT.

I've pointed out things yet your still asking. I give up

I've pointed out things yet your still asking. I give up

I sure haven't seen you point out anything other then your whole Webb conspiracy theory. And that's truly what it is and there is no getting around that.

And lol how have I missed this...The very same quote we're talking about clearly says.....

The only way someone beats out Webb is if Webb falls on his face in camp. I’d be surprised if that happened. Webb probably has to show a little something just because he is dealing with an entirely new group of coaches. And he will have competition from Jonathan Scott, who is a consistent, veteran pro. Scott won’t fall on his face, and I would bet on that. But it’s Webb’s job to lose.

But, but, it's not REAL COMPETITION right?

So you're gonna take your skewed opinion of what Dan Pompei said as them naming Webb the starter before 1 preseason game? Yet you wont take Trestman or Emerys (and I'm pretty sure Kromer has said the same thing as well) word that they're having competitions along the line? Where have you heard that Scott or mills isn't getting reps with the first team?

I'm sorry but as much as I think Webb can grow as a player in a better situation, I just don't think this staff will hand him anything.

This isn't even a debate so much as a serious question...

Have there been any reports where Trestman and/or Emery has specifically said there would be competition at the RT spot?

LOL! Man you're reaching now. So because a coach watched a private workout he's personally vested in the guy? And what would explain what you claim to be the same thing happening again this year? Also, did Emery have such a vested interest in the guy LAST YEAR that he decided to blow off the line for a season?

Get real.

It's as if you don't even read what other people post. Were you even on the board at that time? I think you were, which is why it's frustrating to explain it to you. There was a pretty big discussion about the fact that Tice was smitten with Webb because of the blocking sled incident. That single quote is not reaching, nor is the truth behind it.

As for subsequent years, it's what I said earlier in this thread. They are not infallible, regardless of what some of you guys think. I believe Tice saw something in Webb, got happy about it, and kept wanting to prove he was right, come hell or high water. Given that there were no pro-bowlers there to replace Webb (see Lovie drafting propensity below), it was an easier sell to give him the chance based on potential and how good Tice felt about him. Well, where is Tice now? How well did the OL do under his watch?

Regarding Emery, I have no clue why he blew off the OL last year, except that Lovie must have had a significant impact on the selection process and Emery was giving him just enough rope for the hanging. The offense was leaps and bounds worse than the defense, yet the Bears selected DE, WR, S, TE, DB, DB. Gee, 4 defensive guys and 2 offensive guys and no attention to the OL. That doesn't look like previous drafts in which Lovie had a say at all. :rolleyes: Look at this year. Even though Emery's hands were tied at LB, and the team has aging stars at multiple positions on defense, there was still an even split between the drafting of offense and defense.

Seriously, do you forget everything about previous years when it's convenient to your argument? The Tice & Webb thing is documented in many ways. Here's another where Michael Wright confirms that Tice is very high on Webb. And the shit about Lovie has been discussed ad nauseum, and is not even up for debate.