Well now the battle is on with the O-line

Wesson44

Scott is competing, but talent wise I don't think he has what it takes to beat out Webb. Scott was on pace to give up 44 pressures last year, Webb only gave up 29. Why Emery, and some on this board liked Scott last year is beyond me but that's who Phil chose....Once pads are put on it wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear that Mills, Brown, and Britton(wrong on the name here but the dude that came from the jags) are also getting a look.....like I said earlier in this thread we should wait till they put on pads before we get all up in arms about competition.

For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Long ended up at RT this year. Competition may come from other sources if the coaches aren't satisfied with where they had things penciled in back in May. That's what resident genius Jason doesn't understand, among other things.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm good with it. While Webb will go into this year make or break, I'm convinced the OL as a whole looks improved on paper, scheme and coaching. I definitely look for Garza to be upgraded next season and Webb too if he does not become solidly average.

100% agreed. It was great to see the front office put a premium on OL this year since it was the main problem for the Bears during Lovie's entire tenure. If they don't draft a Center next year I will be shocked.

This board has had a debate about OL every year because there are many who had to be disproven before they believed it, but last year proved that gathering skill players doesn't work if the OL isn't holding up their end of the bargain. Maybe the new guys will try the approach I've talked about for years: build up the OL and the skill players don't have to be as good.

For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Long ended up at RT this year. Competition may come from other sources if the coaches aren't satisfied with where they had things penciled in back in May. That's what resident genius Jason doesn't understand, among other things.

The list of things I don't understand may be long, but if you don't comprehend the easiest of English idioms like "falls flat on his face," then your list must be tremendous.

As for your actual football comment, we've heard that same song and dance before, and all it go us was a Guard at Center, a Center at Guard, a Guard at Tackle, and bruises on Jay Cutler's ass. If the Bears want Long at RT in the future, they should start giving him reps ASAP. They shouldn't fool around and get cute with moving him from one position to another. You always hear players say that the game-time experience is essential to development. Otherwise, stick him at RG and let him maul for ten years.

If Long starts at RT, then the Bears are in even worse shape at the position than I thought. He's a project even at guard. I think he has potential to be great one day. Until I see it on the field in preseaon, I'd rather not see him cracking the starting line up at any position.

100% agreed. It was great to see the front office put a premium on OL this year since it was the main problem for the Bears during Lovie's entire tenure. If they don't draft a Center next year I will be shocked.

This board has had a debate about OL every year because there are many who had to be disproven before they believed it, but last year proved that gathering skill players doesn't work if the OL isn't holding up their end of the bargain. Maybe the new guys will try the approach I've talked about for years: build up the OL and the skill players don't have to be as good.

Have to say the previous regime did put some effort into righting the Oline ship with a couple first round picks, neither of which are on the team. They failed. My hope is that the new coaches can actually

a) identify the raw talent better and

B) coach that talent to be a productive blocker in the NFL.

I have hope. I have no clue about blocking techniques but I do like how Kromer coaches not just the techniques but the situational tactics.

I recognize this "discussion". You forget, the team did put a premium on OL in the past. They were known as Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi. The difference this time is those were graded at 1st round talent where the 1st round pick this year was not...not totally anyhow.

For the sake of argument (I know how you strive for it) this year has yet to be proven. At least you qualified it with a 'maybe'. The offense should improve given the coaching philosophy but if it doesn't, what then? The D is going to need retooling if not next season soon thereafter. Cutlers contract ends this year and Marshall and Forte are passing their prime years. Let's hope at least Long plays up to his potential.

If Long starts at RT, then the Bears are in even worse shape at the position than I thought. He's a project even at guard. I think he has potential to be great one day. Until I see it on the field in preseaon, I'd rather not see him cracking the starting line up at any position.

I think I read that many draft guru's projected him as a tackle eventually. His height makes him more a tackle than a guard is what I believe I recall hearing. It's Monday and I'm too lazy to look it up now but that's what I think I heard. I'm not saying this is what the Bears have in mind but that as far as all the wild-ass speculation that's happened in this thread, it's a lot more plausible than most of the other conspiracy garbage here.

If the Bears want Long at RT in the future, they should start giving him reps ASAP.

Training camp is at the end of the month, dude. Before you work yourself into a panic, let's see what actually transpires when it starts to count. At this stage the coaches and front office are still trying to figure out what they have to work with.

Have to say the previous regime did put some effort into righting the Oline ship with a couple first round picks, neither of which are on the team. They failed. My hope is that the new coaches can actually

a) identify the raw talent better and

B) coach that talent to be a productive blocker in the NFL.

I have hope. I have no clue about blocking techniques but I do like how Kromer coaches not just the techniques but the situational tactics.

For me, two first round picks is not putting a premium on a position, or a position group. And this board has seen - many times - the breakdown and disparity between OL and DL picks. The latter received much more valued picks overall. It's been done by round, by draft trade chart value, and every other way possible.

It's been said before, and I still believe it to be true; JA and Lovie felt burned by Williams, and never really wanted to put much into OL. Add that to Lovie's desire to always keep his defense stocked, and the deficiency remained.

I recognize this "discussion". You forget, the team did put a premium on OL in the past. They were known as Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi. The difference this time is those were graded at 1st round talent where the 1st round pick this year was not...not totally anyhow.

For the sake of argument (I know how you strive for it) this year has yet to be proven. At least you qualified it with a 'maybe'. The offense should improve given the coaching philosophy but if it doesn't, what then? The D is going to need retooling if not next season soon thereafter. Cutlers contract ends this year and Marshall and Forte are passing their prime years. Let's hope at least Long plays up to his potential.

I don't forget it. I just don't recognize it as equal or necessary attention. The OL was neglected during the entire Lovie tenure. A bandaid, even a first rounder, doesn't help much when 3 or 4 of the other players suck.

If this O doesn't live up to the potential, I can only surmise three realistic possibilities:

1. Cutler chokes - Possible given his degraded mechanics and new system

2. The OL stinks - Probable given the changeover, rookie, and remaining players who aren't good

3. Injuries - Let's hope not

If it's #1, the Bears have issues. And I don't know what the right answer is since he's still the most talented QB the Bears have probably ever had.

If it's #2, then the Bears need to divide their time and effort into plugging new holes while also focusing on remaining holes. A 2nd or 3rd rounder at Guard, or maybe a 3rd/4th at Center might be in order depending on who is available.

I don't forget it. I just don't recognize it as equal or necessary attention. The OL was neglected during the entire Lovie tenure. A bandaid, even a first rounder, doesn't help much when 3 or 4 of the other players suck.

If this O doesn't live up to the potential, I can only surmise three realistic possibilities:

1. Cutler chokes - Possible given his degraded mechanics and new system

2. The OL stinks - Probable given the changeover, rookie, and remaining players who aren't good

3. Injuries - Let's hope not

If it's #1, the Bears have issues. And I don't know what the right answer is since he's still the most talented QB the Bears have probably ever had.

If it's #2, then the Bears need to divide their time and effort into plugging new holes while also focusing on remaining holes. A 2nd or 3rd rounder at Guard, or maybe a 3rd/4th at Center might be in order depending on who is available.

Agreed on all.

Cutler is NOT the ideal QB for WCO. Can he adapt? Of course he can, but it will take Cutler humbling himself to bend to the will of the expectations placed upon him. He is a point and shoot guy by nature and trust and anticipation may not come naturally to him. We'll see soon enough.

As far as the OL is concerned, I think the talent is there to be solid. I know we bled the continuity discussion dry, but the key will be how fast they gel as a unit.

Positive karma on the lack of injuries this year.

Agreed on all.

Cutler is NOT the ideal QB for WCO. Can he adapt? Of course he can, but it will take Cutler humbling himself to bend to the will of the expectations placed upon him. He is a point and shoot guy by nature and trust and anticipation may not come naturally to him. We'll see soon enough.

As far as the OL is concerned, I think the talent is there to be solid. I know we bled the continuity discussion dry, but the key will be how fast they gel as a unit.

Positive karma on the lack of injuries this year.

His years in Denver tend to disagree with the bold statement. They ran a version of the WCO there and he thrived in it.

His years in Denver tend to disagree with the bold statement. They ran a version of the WCO there and he thrived in it.

He is good enough to play in any system, and being a contract year, I suspect he will do well this year provided the OLine falls in place.

It wasn't close to true WCO. I'll admit that I have not seen the modern Trestman version, but his Steve Young and Rich Gannon versions were closer to the Bill Walsh offense. Lucky for us Young and Gannon were both athletic QB's.

It wasn't close to true WCO. I'll admit that I have not seen the modern Trestman version, but his Steve Young and Rich Gannon versions were closer to the Bill Walsh offense. Lucky for us Young and Gannon were both athletic QB's.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but how wasn't it close to a true WCO?

Shanahan, his coach in Denver, is a perceived run first guy but the run/pass splits weighed heavily towards the pass in Jays best year, 620-387.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but how wasn't it close to a true WCO?

Shanahan, his coach in Denver, is a perceived run first guy but the run/pass splits weighed heavily towards the pass in Jays best year, 620-387.

No offense taken.

Shanahan's version was more vertical than Walsh's. Regardless of the run/pass ratio when Cutler had his big year. Shanahan prefers to run first. Cutlers big year also had a lot to do with how horrible Denver's defense was and lack of a quality running back. There were a lot of 4th quarter fluff yards in attempt to come back. I believe Trestman is a little closer to Walsh from what I've seen in the past.(which is a lot of short/quick hitting timing routes that are not Cutler's thing) That being said, I believe Trestman is smart enough to see what has worked for Cutler in the past and go with it. Of course I've said that in the past as well.