Went to camp today...

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. Corey Wootton looked great. I would not be shocked if he has 10+ sacks this year.

2. Henry Melton looked great as well.

3. J'Marcus Webb is horrible. On the first 4 non-run plays in the 11-on-11 drills, he gave up 3 sacks. Like bowlingtwig said, this has to become a competition. Scott did fairly well last year.

4. Kyle Long is a freak. He's strong and exceptionally quick. Now the question is, can he block consistently? That wasn't the issue today, but it remains a question due to how raw he truly is still.

5. I know it's practice, but Bushrod looks damn good. I didn't even notice Peppers out there.

6. Alshon Jeffery went from 12% body fat to 8% and it shows. He's quicker. He got by Jennings and then past Conte for a long TD from Cutler. On the other side of the field, however, he and E.Bennett dropped 2 consecutive deep slant routes despite there being no defenders.

7. Trestman, Cavanaugh, Kromer, Groh and DeCamillis are constantly coaching. Today, Marquess Wilson made an acrobatic grab and Trestman sprinted over and gave him a pat on the ass. I hadn't seen that in awhile. Anyway, you can hear them yelling "fast" and "fast but in control" among other things.

1. Corey Wootton looked great. I would not be shocked if he has 10+ sacks this year.

3. J'Marcus Webb is horrible. On the first 4 non-run plays in the 11-on-11 drills, he gave up 3 sacks. Like bowlingtwig said, this has to become a competition. Scott did fairly well last year.

4. Kyle Long is a freak. He's strong and exceptionally quick. Now the question is, can he block consistently? That wasn't the issue today, but it remains a question due to how raw he truly is still.

5. I know it's practice, but Bushrod looks damn good. I didn't even notice Peppers out there.

6. Alshon Jeffery went from 12% body fat to 8% and it shows. He's quicker. He got by Jennings and then past Conte for a long TD from Cutler. On the other side of the field, however, he and E.Bennett dropped 2 consecutive deep slant routes despite there being no defenders.

7. Trestman, Cavanaugh, Kromer, Groh and DeCamillis are constantly coaching. Today, Marquess Wilson made an acrobatic grab and Trestman sprinted over and gave him a pat on the ass. I hadn't seen that in awhile. Anyway, you can hear them yelling "fast" and "fast but in control" among other things.

In the 11 on 11 drills was Webb getting help from guards or was he 1 on 1 with a defender

Did you get a sense that Cutler was checking down his receivers or were they just running set plays? It sounds like he's sharp based on your comments, just wonder if he's running the offense in scrimmages or just hitting the #1 on every play. Not sure how you'd know for sure, just wondering if you got a sense that he was looking one way and then coming back another, etc.

Did you get a sense that Cutler was checking down his receivers or were they just running set plays? It sounds like he's sharp based on your comments, just wonder if he's running the offense in scrimmages or just hitting the #1 on every play. Not sure how you'd know for sure, just wondering if you got a sense that he was looking one way and then coming back another, etc.

Hey Cracker, I saw you asked this, so when I read the article below, I figured you'd wanna see it.

‘‘I was really pleased with the quarterbacks,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘They took care of the football today. Jay was on in terms of finishing his progressions and

getting to second and third receivers. We spread the ball around a lot today again. That’s happened for three straight days, and that’s a good sign.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...d-with-qbs.html

As much as I would like to see Long over at RT I just don't see it. I don't like Brown as much as others do. I like him as a backup but nothing more

Why aren't you a fan of Brown? Coming into the draft last year he was highly touted teams found out he smoked a little pot(this could be why you don't like him). He's a guy who I thought about putting in the surprises thread but I didn't think people would be really surprised by his good play.

All offseason I've been thinking about a Bushrod-Slausson-Garza-Brown-Long or a Bushrod-Long-Slausson-Brown-Webb OL if Garza or Webb are awful. Probably not enough time to do that much switching around though.

All offseason I've been thinking about a Bushrod-Slausson-Garza-Brown-Long

I hear angels singing?

LOL I'm just teasing anyway, because I can see that Webb has tools to be good, and I think it's great to give the staff a chance to try to see what they can do with him. As long as they are able to judge the experiment a failure if that's how it comes out I think it's prudent to see what he can become. I don't see any reason to think they are as stuck on him as the last staff was, so I'm all for giving him a real shot and giving him a little time to respond to the coaching. We'll all know soon enough :)

Why aren't you a fan of Brown? Coming into the draft last year he was highly touted teams found out he smoked a little pot(this could be why you don't like him). He's a guy who I thought about putting in the surprises thread but I didn't think people would be really surprised by his good play.

All offseason I've been thinking about a Bushrod-Slausson-Garza-Brown-Long or a Bushrod-Long-Slausson-Brown-Webb OL if Garza or Webb are awful. Probably not enough time to do that much switching around though.

Nothing to do with pot. Don't know why u think I hate all who has ever trued the crap. I can't point out anything directly except to say its my gut feeling that he's nothing more than good solid backup. Which on our team could be a starter Lol. I like him more than Webb but its 2 different positions and could also be we've all seen with our eyes how bad Webb has been. We haven't really seen hot tube play much.

Hey Cracker, I saw you asked this, so when I read the article below, I figured you'd wanna see it.

‘‘I was really pleased with the quarterbacks,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘They took care of the football today. Jay was on in terms of finishing his progressions and

getting to second and third receivers. We spread the ball around a lot today again. That’s happened for three straight days, and that’s a good sign.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...d-with-qbs.html

Thanks. This seems like one of the "big concerns" about Cutler being able to fit this system. If the Head Nerd is happy, that's a great sign.

Nothing to do with pot. Don't know why u think I hate all who has ever trued the crap. I can't point out anything directly except to say its my gut feeling that he's nothing more than good solid backup. Which on our team could be a starter Lol. I like him more than Webb but its 2 different positions and could also be we've all seen with our eyes how bad Webb has been. We haven't really seen hot tube play much.

Neither of us really know or seen enough to put a bad/good label on him yet, that part I agree with. But, there have certainly been more good reports vs bad reports when it comes to Brown. At this point I have no reason to believe he's a bad OG.

The thing I really liked hearing about Brown this year was that he put on 30 pounds. This kid was ranked as high as the 50s on some big boards going into the draft and that was as a "tweener". Scouts said he was too short to play outside and too "thin" to play inside. Putting on 30 pounds will put an end to those tweener comments.

As much as I'd hate to have a first rounder sit out a year I think it's a real possibilty that Brown starts over Long and we don't resign Slausson next year making our OG duo Long and Brown.

Neither of us really know or seen enough to put a bad/good label on him yet, that part I agree with. But, there have certainly been more good reports vs bad reports when it comes to Brown. At this point I have no reason to believe he's a bad OG.

The thing I really liked hearing about Brown this year was that he put on 30 pounds. This kid was ranked as high as the 50s on some big boards going into the draft and that was as a "tweener". Scouts said he was too short to play outside and too "thin" to play inside. Putting on 30 pounds will put an end to those tweener comments.

As much as I'd hate to have a first rounder sit out a year I think it's a real possibilty that Brown starts over Long and we don't resign Slausson next year making our OG duo Long and Brown.

I think long beats out brown. Like I said with brown. Call it gut feeling that I don't think he's a good starter. Don't think he's bad at all. I did say a good solid backup.

Thanks Brian much appreciated !

Ditto the thanks for the camp update.

A couple thoughts on the thread discussion:

1) I don't think the best place for Long, who is learning his technique, is protecting the edge this season. If he doesn't make it as a starter I prefer to have him backup OG and let Scott take over at RT.

2) Given the progress he has made and his new 330lb physique I can see Brown competing for the starting role this year but I think it's most likely he can develop into a starter at OG in year 3. When I hear him talk about Brown, Trestman sounds confident in Brown's improvement but hopeful that Long will end up the starter there. OG is still a new position for Brown one he admits he is still adjusting to. This is true for Long as well but Long has more athleticism to make up for mistakes.

3) Listening to Kyle Long talk about how picky Kromer is regarding technique and and the multiple new blocking assignments I'm not confident in Webb at all. He has never seemed to handle blocking stunts or delayed rushes well. We all know his limitations in blocking in space. Possible outcomes for Webb go from starting RT to unemployment line and perhaps not much in between. If Webb is still struggling with the mental aspects of what Kromer is trying to teach and other players such as Mills are progressing I don't think the coaching staff is going to be patient.

4) Don't count out Eben Britton competing for a roster spot, he seems to have changed his perspective for the better: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...ch-eben-britton If Webb isn't our starter at RT the in terms of competing for a backup role Britton has equivalent game experience. If he gets the program and is progressing faster than Webb then it's obvious which one you keep.

Joe Anderson has supposedly had a pretty good camp so far. I'm driving that bandwagon.

Im jumping on so move over !

Every year I pull for a underdog or two. Joe showed me some cojones last season when they finally played him on special teams late in the year. Physical for a 191 lb wr with a no fear attitude. Joe did make some good plays on offense last preseason but that's preseason. I hope he continues to take advantage of these chances. For you old timers he reminds me of Dennis McKinnon.

Because of the rush thanks to dumbass Webb, he was mostly hitting checkdowns and different WR's.

How did Brown look? Believe it or not I'd love to see Brown solidify the RG spot thus opening Long up to compete at RT.

Brown and Long have both had decent and poor bits of practice. I saw good things from both.

In the 11 on 11 drills was Webb getting help from guards or was he 1 on 1 with a defender

He was 1 on 1 vs Wootton.

Joe Anderson has supposedly had a pretty good camp so far. I'm driving that bandwagon.

Anderson is a great ST player and has displayed very nice hands so far, so I concur.

From the way-back machine:

Joe Anderson college highlights

I don't see a lot of speed (average) but he has great balance, runs with power, and can high-point the ball. Anyone who is first up to get time with the 1st string when BMarsh sits out a day is doing a lot of things well. If I were Earl Bennett I'd be looking over my shoulder for who might replace me in 2014. (although I don't know the cap implications if we were to cut ties with Earl next year)

I appreciate the report. I went to TC last year and loved it and am hoping to make it up there again this year. Looks like my schedule might only permit me to go to one of the afternoon sessions - anyone know if there is a content difference between the morning and afternoon practices?