Enjoying Martellus Bennett

AZ54

It's nice to find an NFL player (or any pro athlete) with a sense of humor in front of the media. I get tired of all the standard cliche answers to every question.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

The Bears' first-team offense has run approximately 30 plays in the preseason, hardly a large enough sample size to panic over Bennett not getting the football thrown his way. But when the regular season rolls around, Bennett promises that quarterback Jay Cutler will know when he's open down the field.

"He sees me; I'm 6-foot-7, a big black guy running down the middle of the field. He sees me," Bennett said. "I wear white gloves so he can see the white gloves when I wave them like Mickey Mouse. I clap when I'm open. So I do enough to let him know that I'm open when I have to tell him.

"Even when I'm not open I tell him I was open."

It's good to have some charaters in the mix!

It's nice to find an NFL player (or any pro athlete) with a sense of humor in front of the media. I get tired of all the standard cliche answers to every question.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

The Bears' first-team offense has run approximately 30 plays in the preseason, hardly a large enough sample size to panic over Bennett not getting the football thrown his way. But when the regular season rolls around, Bennett promises that quarterback Jay Cutler will know when he's open down the field.

"He sees me; I'm 6-foot-7, a big black guy running down the middle of the field. He sees me," Bennett said. "I wear white gloves so he can see the white gloves when I wave them like Mickey Mouse. I clap when I'm open. So I do enough to let him know that I'm open when I have to tell him.

"Even when I'm not open I tell him I was open."

My buddy is a huge Cowboys fan and very knowledgeable and gave me this report on Bennett.

"You are gonna hate this guy before the season is over. He can't catch under pressure, doesn't like to get hit and pouts when he's not involved with the game plan."

Me, I'm a big believer that people can change. He seems like he's been about business the last year with the Giants and so far with the Bears. I'm hoping he gets at least 5 targets this week against the Raiders. He can be a redzone beast.

Me, I'm a big believer that people can change. He seems like he's been about business the last year with the Giants and so far with the Bears. I'm hoping he gets at least 5 targets this week against the Raiders. He can be a redzone beast.

I'm not 'sold' on Bennet just yet BUT (and directing to your comment in bold) we all saw how Brandon Marshall has evolved. Before he came to Chicago (especially in Denver) he had a pretty ill reputation, but since being in Chicago nothing but positive has come from the guy. I strongly suspect that BM's influence will have something to do with Bennet's being a part (or not) of the offense.

Bennett is not sitting behind Jason Witten and there is no other decent TE on our roster so he is going to be part of every game plan.

Devil's advocate: He hasn't done anything yet to prove that he will be "a part of every game plan", not with Chicago. I could make the same arguement for Leonard Pope.

BUT, you are more than likely right that he (Bennett) will end up being an integral part of the team. I'm always suspect during pre-season games with teams doing their vanilla plays that they aren't going to show their hand at least until week 1 of the regular season. My hope is that is why we haven't seen much from him yet.

Devil's advocate: He hasn't done anything yet to prove that he will be "a part of every game plan", not with Chicago. I could make the same arguement for Leonard Pope.

BUT, you are more than likely right that he (Bennett) will end up being an integral part of the team. I'm always suspect during pre-season games with teams doing their vanilla plays that they aren't going to show their hand at least until week 1 of the regular season. My hope is that is why we haven't seen much from him yet.

You could make that argument but you'd have less data to back it up:

2012 Bennett, MartellusACTREC 55YDS 626AVG 11.4TDS 5CHI

Pope's best season was 2011 with the Chiefs where he caught 24 passes for 247 yds. He has never had more than 250 yds receiving in a single season, and 5 of his 7 seasons he has failed to even break 200 yds receiving. Bennett has only done it for one season but the fact is he's done what Pope has never done.

You could make that argument but you'd have less data to back it up:

2012 Bennett, MartellusACTREC 55YDS 626AVG 11.4TDS 5CHI

Pope's best season was 2011 with the Chiefs where he caught 24 passes for 247 yds. He has never had more than 250 yds receiving in a single season, and 5 of his 7 seasons he has failed to even break 200 yds receiving. Bennett has only done it for one season but the fact is he's done what Pope has never done.

That's not necessarily a slam dunk in Bennett's defense but ok. Heck if we were to consider 200 yds as a benchmark then the team should have kept Davis, he did it twice in consecutive years (2011 and 2012). And we all know how good a player he was. Something else to consider is there is a better player looming large in Bennett's way, that being BM. Where Witten was the target emeritus in Dallas so too is Marshall in Chicago. And, I might add, Cutler is no Eli Manning. I dare say (as much as it pains me) nor is he Romoesque. But enough of the blasphemy from me, I'm looking forward to what awaits us in this year. I'm guarded in my excitement and reserving judgement for later in the season. I hope Im wrong and Bennett does excel then we'll all be happy and you'll be right. I look forward to tomorrow nights game to see some pieces fall into place. Maybe that'll take the edge off my pessism...just a little.

That's not necessarily a slam dunk in Bennett's defense but ok. Heck if we were to consider 200 yds as a benchmark then the team should have kept Davis, he did it twice in consecutive years (2011 and 2012). And we all know how good a player he was. Something else to consider is there is a better player looming large in Bennett's way, that being BM. Where Witten was the target emeritus in Dallas so too is Marshall in Chicago. And, I might add, Cutler is no Eli Manning. I dare say (as much as it pains me) nor is he Romoesque. But enough of the blasphemy from me, I'm looking forward to what awaits us in this year. I'm guarded in my excitement and reserving judgement for later in the season. I hope Im wrong and Bennett does excel then we'll all be happy and you'll be right. I look forward to tomorrow nights game to see some pieces fall into place. Maybe that'll take the edge off my pessism...just a little.

I think you are reading way too much into one sentence I wrote:

"Bennett is not sitting behind Jason Witten and there is no other decent TE on our roster so he is going to be part of every game plan."

I'm not putting Bennett in the Pro Bowl just saying he'll have a role in the vast majority of our game plans. I'm a little lost on your 200yd benchmark critique of Bennett as stats showed that has been the limit for your proposed TE Pope. I personally don't think 250yds receiving in a season should be called a benchmark. Which is why I don't think Pope is going to do much for us in the passing game even if he were to end up as our starter. I stated as much in another thread and I am clearly in the minority on that opinion.

I'll add one more to your equation because Matt Forte also is ahead of Bennett on the game plan.

One more comment: Never ever ever do I want Jay Cutler to be like Tony Romo. Tony provides me much joy each season among my friends who are Cowboys fans.

I think you are reading way too much into one sentence I wrote:

"Bennett is not sitting behind Jason Witten and there is no other decent TE on our roster so he is going to be part of every game plan."

I'm not putting Bennett in the Pro Bowl just saying he'll have a role in the vast majority of our game plans. I'm a little lost on your 200yd benchmark critique of Bennett as stats showed that has been the limit for your proposed TE Pope. I personally don't think 250yds receiving in a season should be called a benchmark. Which is why I don't think Pope is going to do much for us in the passing game even if he were to end up as our starter. I stated as much in another thread and I am clearly in the minority on that opinion.

I'll add one more to your equation because Matt Forte also is ahead of Bennett on the game plan.

One more comment: Never ever ever do I want Jay Cutler to be like Tony Romo. Tony provides me much joy each season among my friends who are Cowboys fans.

I understand what you said, my counter was that I'm not so sure Bennett will be 'all that'. Since he hasn't done anything of note yet. And that he and Pope are currently on the same level, as far as productivity... with this team.

Speaking of... When I say 'benchmark' I mean it in the sense of as a measure of how the respective players have done over their career. The quote you provided said that Bennett did at least make 250 yards receiving one year where Pope hasn't even done that much. I said that since it appears you were using 200+ yards as the measuring stick (benchmark) of productivity - at least for TE's - then the Bears should have stayed with Kellen Davis, since he received 200 yards in two consecutive seasons.

I hope that whomever the TE ends up being the "one" gets way more than 250 yards receiving in the year. Will it be Bennett or Pope or some other unknown? Still remains to be seen. So far NO TE has stepped forward to show that they deserve to be "..a part of every game plan."

As far as your understanding of Pope, and for what its worth, I think you might have a pretty good first hand perspective since he played in Arizona for a bit. Who knows, maybe he'll 'rise to the occasion'?

And as far as I'm concerned Romo is douche. I'm glad Jerry Jones blew all his dough on him, they deserve each other. Here's to the new season. :cheers

Bennett's contract tells me that he's gonna be a big part of the game plan along side BM and forte. I personally have a hard time seeing pope do much of anything for us as hes done nothing his whole career. As opposed to Bennett who has produced in his only season as a starter. Funny how cowboys fans rip him now that he's left but when he was there they all thought he was great. Personally i never thought dal even tried with him. Mostly for good reason because of written.

Bennett's contract tells me that he's gonna be a big part of the game plan along side BM and forte. I personally have a hard time seeing pope do much of anything for us as hes done nothing his whole career. As opposed to Bennett who has produced in his only season as a starter.

Reading the tea leaves aside; 'you say tomayto I say tomahto.

You have to ask yourself why he was a starter for only one year?

Yeah, catch the ball and I'll "enjoy" you more.

By the way, who cares what a Dallas fan thinks? I know they're used to mediocrity, but Bennett was used sparingly there and any athlete will tell you how tough it is to perform when you're not in the flow of the game. He was still inconsistent in New York, but "hate" is a strong word.

Bennett had a drop; and another ball that he could have and probably should have grabbed. You could see him getting open though and I think he's going to have a great opportunity to put up the best receiving year in franchise history from the TE position. He better stay healthy too cause the Bears have pure shit at the position outside of him.

By the way, who cares what a Dallas fan thinks? I know they're used to mediocrity, but Bennett was used sparingly there and any athlete will tell you how tough it is to perform when you're not in the flow of the game. He was still inconsistent in New York, but "hate" is a strong word.

Are you crazy? Cowboys fan's know EVERYTHING!!!! Everyone knows Dallas has the best team in the NFL because every year the pundits pick them to win the Superbowl. Plus each year almost every player on their roster is picked for the Pro Bowl during preseason. I'm pretty sure Felix Jones was selected for the Pro Bowl just weeks after the Cowboys drafted him.

The two best sounds when watching the Bears game in my favorite sports bar: 1) Bears TD 2) Romo throwing an INT and Cowboy's fans :crying

Are you crazy? Cowboys fan's know EVERYTHING!!!! Everyone knows Dallas has the best team in the NFL because every year the pundits pick them to win the Superbowl. Plus each year almost every player on their roster is picked for the Pro Bowl during preseason. I'm pretty sure Felix Jones was selected for the Pro Bowl just weeks after the Cowboys drafted him.

The two best sounds when watching the Bears game in my favorite sports bar: 1) Bears TD 2) Romo throwing an INT and Cowboy's fans :crying

For the record, my guy is one of the few realistic Cowboy fans and would place his knowledge up against anyone on this board. Otherwise I would not have thrown his quote out there. And there is a history. Yet, I'm still hopeful.

For the record, my guy is one of the few realistic Cowboy fans and would place his knowledge up against anyone on this board. Otherwise I would not have thrown his quote out there. And there is a history. Yet, I'm still hopeful.

I was just kidding around...you can't tell me you don't see the annual media love fest with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones.

I was just kidding around...you can't tell me you don't see the annual media love fest with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones.

No offence taken here. I was just qualifying my previous statement. BTW - I drafted Bennett as my #2 TE. And hate the Cowboys right behind the teams in our division. :cheers