First cuts

CrackerDog

The Chicago Bears Sunday waived 14 players, including Devin Aromashodu and Tom Zbikowski.

The roster now stands at 76 active players.

Here are the players waived:

Wide receiver Devin Aromashodu, running back Curtis Brinkley, defensive tackle Eric Foster, tackle A.J. Lindeman, center P.J. Lonergan, safety Derrick Martin, defensive end Kyle Moore, tight end Gabe Miller, tight end Leonard Pope, linebacker Patrick Trahan, punter Tress Way, linebacker Lawrence Wilson and safety Tom Zbikowski.

DA, Moore, and Pope are somewhat surprising.

Well despite my rooting for Pope I didn't see him do anything to raise his stock. He truly has turned into a bust, oh well. Now the question is does the team have that much faith in Bennett to be able to do what he should be, which is catching passes?

And I'm bummed about Aromashadu. Thought he'd work out this time around. Maybe it means the younger guys are doing well enough to make it? Here's to hoping

Well despite my rooting for Pope I didn't see him do anything to raise his stock. He truly has turned into a bust, oh well. Now the question is does the team have that much faith in Bennett to be able to do what he should be, which is catching passes?

And I'm bummed about Aromashadu. Thought he'd work out this time around. Maybe it means the younger guys are doing well enough to make it? Here's to hoping

Bennett will be fine IMO.

I haven't noticed, how have Maneri and Adams looked so far? Those 2 along with Fendi are the only TEs left. I figured Maneri was a lock but I thought Pope had a chance to win a roster spot ahead of Adams.

Haha, Fendi Onobun appears to have made the cut for this week. Not sure what the Bears see in him, and the fact that he's made the cut doesn't say much about the other TE's on this roster.

This might be a silly, out there, potential dumb comment that at the same time could be somewhat innovative thought so bear with me(pun intended)....

Is it possible that the thought process behind keeping Fendi is using him as a decoy of sorts? When you think about a guy with his size and speed is just having him out there stretching out the middle of the defense worth having on the team? Just having him out there will demand attention or covering right? Teams aren't just going to let him run free deep down the field.

It's certainly an out there thought but if I expected that thought from someone it'd be a guy like Trestman.

This might be a silly, out there, potential dumb comment that at the same time could be somewhat innovative thought so bear with me(pun intended)....

Is it possible that the thought process behind keeping Fendi is using him as a decoy of sorts? When you think about a guy with his size and speed is just having him out there stretching out the middle of the defense worth having on the team? Just having him out there will demand attention or covering right? Teams aren't just going to let him run free deep down the field.

It's certainly an out there thought but if I expected that thought from someone it'd be a guy like Trestman.

If he can't catch teams are not going to worry about him. I wouldn't. I'd be thinking if they go his way and he catches the ball we'll rally to it and tackle him. Maybe we give up 1 big play but the upside is to double team a guy like Marshall and keep him from having multiple big plays.

If he can't catch teams are not going to worry about him. I wouldn't. I'd be thinking if they go his way and he catches the ball we'll rally to it and tackle him. Maybe we give up 1 big play but the upside is to double team a guy like Marshall and keep him from having multiple big plays.

I somewhat agree, I'm just trying to figure out why he wasn't cut and why he has(or was last game anyway) been playing with the 1st team....Isn't it somewhat similar to the whole Hester/speed receiver to blow the top off the defense debate? Can teams really let roam free over the top? You're just asking to get beat that way, a blind squirrel catches a nut every once in awhile.

I'm certainly not saying he's been any good but it's just an interesting thought I had.

I somewhat agree, I'm just trying to figure out why he wasn't cut and why he has(or was last game anyway) been playing with the 1st team....Isn't it somewhat similar to the whole Hester/speed receiver to blow the top off the defense debate? Can teams really let roam free over the top? You're just asking to get beat that way, a blind squirrel catches a nut every once in awhile.

I'm certainly not saying he's been any good but it's just an interesting thought I had.

Just not a feasible idea. You simply can't have a guy just to be a decoy. The defense would watch him as they shaded toward a worthy receiver. Wasted roster spot...

Bennett will be fine IMO.

I haven't noticed, how have Maneri and Adams looked so far? Those 2 along with Fendi are the only TEs left. I figured Maneri was a lock but I thought Pope had a chance to win a roster spot ahead of Adams.

Adams has shown some promise in the last year or so. He's not been premiere but probably worthy of looking at. Moreso than Onubun.

Why would the team use him as a "decoy"? He hasn't caught one pass yet. And other teams are watching the same film we are.

He may be a jumbo package guy...I hear his blocking has been good. Fullback/h-back maybe?

His blocking must be phenomenal. I honestly haven't been paying that close attention to it, so I can't say for sure, but obviously it has to be pretty good if he's still on the team because his pass catching ability sure isn't.

Maybe he's just been jittery in games. He's new. Dunno if that's enough to stick around, but maybe they want to give him a year to grow before cutting him?

----

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,3290438.story

Public defender: Trestman rallied around tight end Fendi Onobun, who dropped a potential touchdown in the exhibition opener, had two more passes go off his hands against the Raiders and also was called for holding. The Bears have been committed to making it work for the superbly athletic, 6-foot-6, 260-pound Onobun, who has been with five other teams since the Rams drafted him in the sixth round in 2010.

"Fendi has had a very good camp and has been uncharacteristically inconsistent in the games," Trestman said. "You've seen things in practice that we haven't seen in the games. Does that mean we've lost confidence? No. We've got to continue to have him work through it.

"This is really his first year of football, and he's shown the ability to do it. He's just got to work through this phase when he gets under the lights that he can continue to play as consistently, and I think he can do that down the road."

That sounds like a man intent on sticking with the converted basketball player.

"It's the next stage in his development," Trestman said. "We're all pulling for him both in the locker room and on the field that he will continue to progress and get through this little batting slump that he has been during the games that we really haven't seen during practice."

Maybe he's just been jittery in games. He's new. Dunno if that's enough to stick around, but maybe they want to give him a year to grow before cutting him?

----

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,3290438.story

Public defender: Trestman rallied around tight end Fendi Onobun, who dropped a potential touchdown in the exhibition opener, had two more passes go off his hands against the Raiders and also was called for holding. The Bears have been committed to making it work for the superbly athletic, 6-foot-6, 260-pound Onobun, who has been with five other teams since the Rams drafted him in the sixth round in 2010.

"Fendi has had a very good camp and has been uncharacteristically inconsistent in the games," Trestman said. "You've seen things in practice that we haven't seen in the games. Does that mean we've lost confidence? No. We've got to continue to have him work through it.

"This is really his first year of football, and he's shown the ability to do it. He's just got to work through this phase when he gets under the lights that he can continue to play as consistently, and I think he can do that down the road."

That sounds like a man intent on sticking with the converted basketball player.

"It's the next stage in his development," Trestman said. "We're all pulling for him both in the locker room and on the field that he will continue to progress and get through this little batting slump that he has been during the games that we really haven't seen during practice."

He's gonna see a lot of field I think this week and I think its a make or break game. If he has another awful game I think its safe to say he's gone. I'm hoping he figures it out but I've got no confidence in him

He's gonna see a lot of field I think this week and I think its a make or break game. If he has another awful game I think its safe to say he's gone. I'm hoping he figures it out but I've got no confidence in him

We haven't seen him in practice. I trust the staff.

Agreed. The one thing I don't want Trestman to do is 'wait and see' if Onubun is going to work out or not. Practice and game time are two different experiences. And if Fendi is cracking under pressure during pre-season, then he's got no place on the team for the regular season. Game 4 will be telling for him. Between he and Adams at this point, my vote would be Adams. Over Maneri? Not sure yet.

And FWIW, I'd still like to see Bennett (the TE) do something convincing that he belongs. I know it won't happen this week but maybe he'll get one or two plays in(?)

Agreed. The one thing I don't want Trestman to do is 'wait and see' if Onubun is going to work out or not. Practice and game time are two different experiences. And if Fendi is cracking under pressure during pre-season, then he's got no place on the team for the regular season. Game 4 will be telling for him. Between he and Adams at this point, my vote would be Adams. Over Maneri? Not sure yet.

And FWIW, I'd still like to see Bennett (the TE) do something convincing that he belongs. I know it won't happen this week but maybe he'll get one or two plays in(?)

It is reassuring to say for me that I trust Trestman and Co. and am quite sure they will do the right thing....they seem to be moving the team in the right direction.

I have purchased NFL Game Pass so will now watch all of the games, with AMERICAN announcers, thank God, and be able to have a better viewpoint hopefully.

Jeffery looked very good to me in Game 3, I have no worries about Marshall as he will catch passes as he has always done when needed, and with Forte utilised right and a much improved O line, things have to be better.

1st string defence looked good; like most teams if we had to go 2nd team things would look a bit wonky. Injuries always cause problems for any team.

I am drinking the kooloaid and hoping for the playoffs this year, with the Super Bowl in mind within two seasons!

I'm not worried about bennett. We know he's gonna get plenty of balls thrown his way. He's clearly best TE on roster. I just hope he eliminates some of the drops we saw in game 3. I did love his blocking ability. Especially down field blocking

It is reassuring to say for me that I trust Trestman and Co. and am quite sure they will do the right thing....they seem to be moving the team in the right direction.

I have purchased NFL Game Pass so will now watch all of the games, with AMERICAN announcers, thank God, and be able to have a better viewpoint hopefully.

Jeffery looked very good to me in Game 3, I have no worries about Marshall as he will catch passes as he has always done when needed, and with Forte utilised right and a much improved O line, things have to be better.

1st string defence looked good; like most teams if we had to go 2nd team things would look a bit wonky. Injuries always cause problems for any team.

I am drinking the kooloaid and hoping for the playoffs this year, with the Super Bowl in mind within two seasons!

I agree! It's a good time to be a Bears fan.

As for the announcers, I have bad news for you. They're terrible too hahaha after 20+ years of having to watch the Bears in Sports Bars, without audio, I have learned to enjoy the game better without the sound. Even now that i get to watch it at home, as often as not, I turn off the sound entirely, as it's more distracting than helpful. I usually say what the announcers are about to anyway LOL

If you know the roster, that already puts you ahead of the announcers!

Anyway, I agree with your optimism. Can't wait for this year to start!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Bears knew anything about this? Not that his performance didn't help his case, but if the knowledge was there it would make the decision much easier.

Free agents Tom Zbikowski, and Brandon McDonald, were both suspended by the NFL on Tuesday.

Zbikowski, who was waived by the Bears at the end of the preseason, was suspended four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

I wonder if the Bears knew anything about this? Not that his performance didn't help his case, but if the knowledge was there it would make the decision much easier.

Free agents Tom Zbikowski, and Brandon McDonald, were both suspended by the NFL on Tuesday.

Zbikowski, who was waived by the Bears at the end of the preseason, was suspended four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

They need a better drug dealer.