New Bears offense

jason

I understand quick reads and throws, even max protect and three step drops, but this offense appears to have emasculated Jay Cutler. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was Shane Matthews at QB.

As we painfully learned when than moron Shoop was calling plays with crayons, the dink and dunk only works if the opponent respects the Bears' offense enough to worry about the intermediate and deep balls.

I understand quick reads and throws, even max protect and three step drops, but this offense appears to have emasculated Jay Cutler. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was Shane Matthews at QB.

As we painfully learned when than moron Shoop was calling plays with crayons, the dink and dunk only works if the opponent respects the Bears' offense enough to worry about the intermediate and deep balls.

I get your point, but I liked what I saw.

Brand new coach, scheme and OL against a really good D. We controlled the clock and limited turnovers while scoring 24. I'll take that all day. Because they should get better from there.

Against this defense, that was the right offense to run.

Yeah you can't take what happened today on offense as a sign of things to come. This was a situation where we were going up against quite possibly the best front 7 in the NFL. What I came away with from this game is that we actually have someone that can prepare for a game the way they're supposed to. Good gameplan, win. Now we need to rinse and repeat.

It took a while for the offense to find a groove. They were somewhat sloppy in the first half, too many drops, and there was the usual Cutler INT, but they were really impressive in the 2nd half. They started making precision, pinpoint throws, Cutler started moving around more, the line did a good job of picking up most of the pressure and Cutler made mostly good decisions with one notable INT.

In the first half they deserved some criticism, very vanilla. Looked a ton better in the 2nd.

Yeah you can't take what happened today on offense as a sign of things to come. This was a situation where we were going up against quite possibly the best front 7 in the NFL. What I came away with from this game is that we actually have someone that can prepare for a game the way they're supposed to. Good gameplan, win. Now we need to rinse and repeat.

Post of the day! Completely echo your sentiments.

This!

Peace :dabears

After reading the post-game articles it was intentional play-calling for the first few series to make sure the Oline could keep Cutler upright. Long missed one assignment early that led to a pressure. Once they settled into the game we opened up the playbook and results followed. Going into the next game against the Vikings we will have more confidence with the rookies and they won't have as big of a challenge facing them.

Cutler's performance highlighted in NFL Blog QB weekly report:

Jay Cutler

Passer rating: 93.2

QBR: 85.7

Analysis: Playing behind an overhauled offensive line, Cutler was not sacked. In fact, Cutler was highly productive in Marc Trestman's offense against the Cincinnati Bengals' blitz. He completed eight of 10 passes for 94 yards and a touchdown when the Bengals sent at least five pass-rushers. He was efficient, finishing with 242 yards on 33 attempts, but was better downfield than you might have anticipated in an offense built around quick throws. A third of Cutler's passes traveled more than 10 yards downfield, and he completed eight of them for 171 yards and a touchdown. He targeted favored receiver Brandon Marshall 10 times but also looked elsewhere to receiver Alshon Jeffery (eight targets), running back Matt Forte (six) and tight end Martellus Bennett (six).

i flat out disagree.

this was the shakedown game with a brand new everything. if anyone believed the bears would look like the patriots offense this soon in the season they are delusional. it is going to take at least half a season to bring all the players together on one page with any consistency.

the offensive line... we flat out had one of, if not THE, worst OL's in the entire NFL last season. we are sporting a complete revamp and starting 2 rookies and yet this line looked like a pro unit on the field instead of the semi-pro garbage we have seen for umpteen years. our linemen have a serious attitude and actual talent which is miles beyond anything we have seen for years. they can only get better with experience and continuity.

if long continues to improve we will have a perennial all-pro lineman (think a hutchinson caliber player in our future). mills looks exceptional so far for a 5th round rookie. probably the weakest link so far was slausen our LG and with time this could change when our line starts to gel.

CONCLUSION: this may not be the final end game for the years to come with this personnel but there is just so much you can do in one season and i like what i see. coaches that can really evaluate talent and put them in a position to win and cut the dead wood and players with real potential instead of the wait until next year.

QB... you seriously did not see cutler start to gain confidence as the game went on?

for how many years has he taken a beating in chicago? it's going to take time for him to come out of his shell, reset the clock in his head and trust the offensive line enough to play up to his potential. there is no WAY our staff is going to hang cutler out to dry without real game experience on the OL unless they were imbeciles. they appear not to be.

i just have to chime in on the INT... it's a 50/50 chance it was cutlers fault. watch the tape if you have it (i don't), he is getting pulled on by the DE just before he released the ball. it changed the trajectory. that said, this is cutlers M.O. he is going to give you a few INT's and make up for it with good play in most instances. i know i will accept that instead of the humps we have had over the last 25 years.

finally: believe me this game did NOT look like a shoop offense. in fact this was really the first time i looked at our offense for a very, very long time and thought it finally looks like it is run by professionals instead of a bunch of semi-pro hacks. it's only going to get better.

i flat out disagree.

this was the shakedown game with a brand new everything. if anyone believed the bears would look like the patriots offense this soon in the season they are delusional. it is going to take at least half a season to bring all the players together on one page with any consistency.

the offensive line... we flat out had one of, if not THE, worst OL's in the entire NFL last season. we are sporting a complete revamp and starting 2 rookies and yet this line looked like a pro unit on the field instead of the semi-pro garbage we have seen for umpteen years. our linemen have a serious attitude and actual talent which is miles beyond anything we have seen for years. they can only get better with experience and continuity.

if long continues to improve we will have a perennial all-pro lineman (think a hutchinson caliber player in our future). mills looks exceptional so far for a 5th round rookie. probably the weakest link so far was slausen our LG and with time this could change when our line starts to gel.

CONCLUSION: this may not be the final end game for the years to come with this personnel but there is just so much you can do in one season and i like what i see. coaches that can really evaluate talent and put them in a position to win and cut the dead wood and players with real potential instead of the wait until next year.

QB... you seriously did not see cutler start to gain confidence as the game went on?

for how many years has he taken a beating in chicago? it's going to take time for him to come out of his shell, reset the clock in his head and trust the offensive line enough to play up to his potential. there is no WAY our staff is going to hang cutler out to dry without real game experience on the OL unless they were imbeciles. they appear not to be.

i just have to chime in on the INT... it's a 50/50 chance it was cutlers fault. watch the tape if you have it (i don't), he is getting pulled on by the DE just before he released the ball. it changed the trajectory. that said, this is cutlers M.O. he is going to give you a few INT's and make up for it with good play in most instances. i know i will accept that instead of the humps we have had over the last 25 years.

finally: believe me this game did NOT look like a shoop offense. in fact this was really the first time i looked at our offense for a very, very long time and thought it finally looks like it is run by professionals instead of a bunch of semi-pro hacks. it's only going to get better.

Look when the post was made: early in the game or around halftime.

Early on, it did feel like Shoop and Matthews. I'm the biggest proponent of OL overhaul for nearly ten years now, so that's nothing new to me. And I'm a Cutler defender. But that first half was VERY close to the vest.

Early on, it did feel like Shoop and Matthews. I'm the biggest proponent of OL overhaul for nearly ten years now, so that's nothing new to me. And I'm a Cutler defender. But that first half was VERY close to the vest.

it was played close to the vest as it should have been by an offensive coaching system that had any semblance of talent. you WANT to see what your linemen and TE's can and can't do in your blocking schemes before you just throw the qb to the wolves and screw him up yet again.

this is not the last of your conservative play this season. expect some more until everyone on board feels comfortable, including the coaches, without putting your franchise player on IR.

it was SMART football even if we would have taken the loss in the first game.

I think Trestman agreed with you. As did I, when your post was made, and even now, upon reflection. They opened things up a bit in the second half, got some breaks and won it. All in all, not a bad progression for a single game.

it was played close to the vest as it should have been by an offensive coaching system that had any semblance of talent. you WANT to see what your linemen and TE's can and can't do in your blocking schemes before you just throw the qb to the wolves and screw him up yet again.

this is not the last of your conservative play this season. expect some more until everyone on board feels comfortable, including the coaches, without putting your franchise player on IR.

it was SMART football even if we would have taken the loss in the first game.

Ha! What, don't you think we should've just assumed all was peachy in the line like Madman Martz would've? :)

I don't think most disagree with you, it's just that in the first half the offense did look a bit anemic.