Future Roster...

Mongo3451

Just for fun...

Looking at our roster now, what do you see as needs to improve our roster?

Offense to obtain:

the heir to Forte and groom

a speed reciever and heir to Hester on returns

a bookend TE to go along with Bennett

a C

Defense to obtain:

a corner or two

DL

Retain/extend:

Cutler, Melton, Tillman, Wooten, Jennings, Marshall etc...

Not sure if we can keep Peppers

Just for fun...

Looking at our roster now, what do you see as needs to improve our roster?

Offense to obtain:

the heir to Forte and groom

a speed reciever and heir to Hester on returns

a bookend TE to go along with Bennett

a C

Defense to obtain:

a corner or two

DL

Retain/extend:

Cutler, Melton, Tillman, Wooten, Jennings, Marshall etc...

Not sure if we can keep Peppers

We are not going to have a choice with Peppers,we restructured his contract again so were on the hook for him the next two years. Big cap hits if we cut him.

Okay for fun,

I agree with a speed receiver, but even though he is not a burner at some point I'd like to see Wilson

Agree with the CB's; I think we cannot depend on what Tillman will be able to offer going forward, at some point his skill set is going to decline, better to be prepared

I'd like another DE, can't have enough

A center certainly needs to be on the short list

The nice thing is that Emery has started to shore up areas such as the O-line and linebacker so that they can narrow the focus going forward. I mean this last off season, you needed mass O-Line additions, linebacker additions, it was almost more about quantities.

Despite Pepper's contract renegotiations, I'm not convinced they won't just bite the bullet and take the hit next year unless he bounces back strong the remainder of this season. I think he will but his future in football, based on the last two weeks only, is now in doubt.

We need to replace the rent-a-players we have on one year contracts. Positions, I can't recall.

Nut is getting up there in years and he's got a future in broadcasting, I'm sure. So we need to find someone to fill his shoes, which won't be easy. We'll have to see how Mills develops, I'm sold on Long but want to see more of Mills before I'm certain he's the answer there for the long term.

Same goes for Bostic. I think he's a stud but he's not starting yet. We'll see. I hope we hit on this kid so we don't need to hunt for a MLB in the near future.

Backup QB?

Hell, we may need a K. I love Gould but he makes too much money and they probably will need a concession from him if he's going to get a new deal.

Hester looks awesome out there but if they find someone who fills that role in the draft and is a bunch cheaper, you can bet his days are numbered. We'll need lots of cash for Cutler and others after we win the Superbowl this season.

Despite Pepper's contract renegotiations, I'm not convinced they won't just bite the bullet and take the hit next year unless he bounces back strong the remainder of this season. I think he will but his future in football, based on the last two weeks only, is now in doubt.

We need to replace the rent-a-players we have on one year contracts. Positions, I can't recall.

Nut is getting up there in years and he's got a future in broadcasting, I'm sure. So we need to find someone to fill his shoes, which won't be easy. We'll have to see how Mills develops, I'm sold on Long but want to see more of Mills before I'm certain he's the answer there for the long term.

Same goes for Bostic. I think he's a stud but he's not starting yet. We'll see. I hope we hit on this kid so we don't need to hunt for a MLB in the near future.

Backup QB?

Hell, we may need a K. I love Gould but he makes too much money and they probably will need a concession from him if he's going to get a new deal.

Hester looks awesome out there but if they find someone who fills that role in the draft and is a bunch cheaper, you can bet his days are numbered. We'll need lots of cash for Cutler and others after we win the Superbowl this season.

I was just about to say, if Cutler pulls a Joe Flacco the team will be in a bind with his money needed (along with a few others that need extensions) and those "rent a players" they intend to keep.

Sounds like a job for .... Balta Man!

Through 2 weeks, I'd say:

1) Look for better safeties. I like Wright and Conte, but they're both FA's. Also, you watch other teams play and their safeties are all over.

2) Find another TE who's competent. Maneri isn't any good.

3) Find a true back-up QB. Keep McCown as 3rd string, but find a young player in rounds 3-4 to develop, regardless of the season Cutler has. Who knows? Maybe they're Kirk Cousins-like and he can net them an early pick in a future draft.

4) Draft a CB with one of the two 1st picks. Tillman and Jennings are both FA's, and I doubt both are brought back.

5) Find a DE and DT in the draft to play. Keep Wootton, but Melton will be gone if he continues to play like this and so will Peppers.

6) Bostic is fine. Urlacher didn't start right away either. Greene will play next year. Still, drafting an OLB will be necessary with Briggs close to being finished.

7) Find a PR/KR. Unless Hester wants to stay for cheap, he's gone after the year. D'Anthony Thomas anyone? :)

8) Draft a K or P in round 6 or 7 and then sign the one not drafted. Podlesh isn't any good and Gould may be gone after the year.

9) Cut Bush. If you don't think Ford is a back-up RB in the league, draft one.

Through 2 weeks, I'd say:

1) Look for better safeties. I like Wright and Conte, but they're both FA's. Also, you watch other teams play and their safeties are all over.

2) Find another TE who's competent. Maneri isn't any good.

3) Find a true back-up QB. Keep McCown as 3rd string, but find a young player in rounds 3-4 to develop, regardless of the season Cutler has. Who knows? Maybe they're Kirk Cousins-like and he can net them an early pick in a future draft.

4) Draft a CB with one of the two 1st picks. Tillman and Jennings are both FA's, and I doubt both are brought back.

5) Find a DE and DT in the draft to play. Keep Wootton, but Melton will be gone if he continues to play like this and so will Peppers.

6) Bostic is fine. Urlacher didn't start right away either. Greene will play next year. Still, drafting an OLB will be necessary with Briggs close to being finished.

7) Find a PR/KR. Unless Hester wants to stay for cheap, he's gone after the year. D'Anthony Thomas anyone? :)

8) Draft a K or P in round 6 or 7 and then sign the one not drafted. Podlesh isn't any good and Gould may be gone after the year.

9) Cut Bush. If you don't think Ford is a back-up RB in the league, draft one.

Sounds good to me, looks like Defensive starters and Offensive depth is the plan. I guess we will have to see what Trestman's offense evolves into over the course of the year to determine if another TE is needed. I think we definitely need to address the Secondary with two of the first few picks (S and CB).

Sounds good to me, looks like Defensive starters and Offensive depth is the plan. I guess we will have to see what Trestman's offense evolves into over the course of the year to determine if another TE is needed. I think we definitely need to address the Secondary with two of the first few picks (S and CB).

This(and Brians post) sounds about right. Lets see how Rosario gets utilized over the course of the year, I believe he was brought in to be the 2nd receiving TE whereas Maneri is/should be more of a strict blocker. It was said that Trestman was gonna use a lot of 2 TE sets, and I was the biggest supporter of this, but with the way Marty looks so far I wouldn't put a huge emphasis on getting another TE high in the draft.

CB is obvious right now, even if Tillman and Jennings both return.

I would definitely grab a safety early as well. Emery built more speed at the LB level and now I think it's time to build more speed on the next level.

It's early, but right now I'm letting Melton walk, resigning Collins, and drafting a DT in the 2nd or 3rd.

I wanna see Washington get some work in before saying we should draft another DE high.

DT, I'm letting Melton walk and resigning Collins unless HenMel starts reeking havok again. After 2 games Collins>Melton and he'll come much cheaper.

On the OL I'd like to see a center taken in the mid rounds, and if they can't bring back Slausson I'd get an OG early on as well.

WR is where the Bears have A TON of depth so that's not a need on any level.

QB, I'd to see one taken in the 5th or 6th rounds and have him be groomed behind Jay(who I'd resign).

This(and Brians post) sounds about right. Lets see how Rosario gets utilized over the course of the year, I believe he was brought in to be the 2nd receiving TE whereas Maneri is/should be more of a strict blocker. It was said that Trestman was gonna use a lot of 2 TE sets, and I was the biggest supporter of this, but with the way Marty looks so far I wouldn't put a huge emphasis on getting another TE high in the draft.

CB is obvious right now, even if Tillman and Jennings both return.

I would definitely grab a safety early as well. Emery built more speed at the LB level and now I think it's time to build more speed on the next level.

It's early, but right now I'm letting Melton walk, resigning Collins, and drafting a DT in the 2nd or 3rd.

I wanna see Washington get some work in before saying we should draft another DE high.

DT, I'm letting Melton walk and resigning Collins unless HenMel starts reeking havok again. After 2 games Collins>Melton and he'll come much cheaper.

On the OL I'd like to see a center taken in the mid rounds, and if they can't bring back Slausson I'd get an OG early on as well.

WR is where the Bears have A TON of depth so that's not a need on any level.

QB, I'd to see one taken in the 5th or 6th rounds and have him be groomed behind Jay(who I'd resign).

You want a CB,saftey,DT,OC,QB?whats your priority? We have to CB,DT,CB to fill our weakest spots on D.

What about Paea? He's holding his own. Should help in not putting a premium on DT. Especially if Melton comes around.

What about Paea? He's holding his own. Should help in not putting a premium on DT. Especially if Melton comes around.

I dont see anyway , whether he plays well or not, we resign Melton. He will demand a lot of money, if Cutler plays well, he will get a big paycheck. We have several fat contracts, you have to let someone go,and I believe it will be him.

I dont see anyway , whether he plays well or not, we resign Melton. He will demand a lot of money, if Cutler plays well, he will get a big paycheck. We have several fat contracts, you have to let someone go,and I believe it will be him.

I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know a lot about how contracts work and all that jazz but from a layman's perspective here are my intial thoughts. I always believe you pay premium for skill and proven players. By "skill" I mean; QB, RB, WR, CB and Safety. Proven players are players who are veteran and have been solid/consistent performers. If those players are on your team, you take care of them.

That being said if the draft were today....or based off the first two weeks of the season....I would probably go CB (Tillman's getting old), RB (unless Ford shows something special), QB? or WR (Marshall is suddenly showing wear and tear - back problems today), and maybe DT/DE. Although the team just drafted a few and I would be curious to see how they pan out. Obviously the big problem right now is that its only been two weeks and way too much season is left to make a strong determination. Will the team resigh Jay? If not then QB goes up in priority. What if Forte gets hurt real bad, what if Marshall comes and goes because of injury. What if Melton picks up the pace and Jay stinks? Should the team pay for Melton and not Cutler? Way too many 'what ifs' this early in the year.

You want a CB,saftey,DT,OC,QB?whats your priority? We have to CB,DT,CB to fill our weakest spots on D.

I actually don't find this to be trolling at all for what it's worth.

Priority depends on how the draft shakes down of course. I don't think the Bears need to reach for anything if it's not there.

In a perfect world where the quality of player is there in each round I'd like to see the draft go as follows...(NOTE, it's really way too early for this ish)

1st round- Safety- Of all the positions "of need" for next year safety is the position where a rookie can come in and play right away, and that is what I'd want out of a 1st rounder. I agree with what Brian said earlier about other teams safeties buzzing around and making a much bigger impact than what we have seen here lately. I'd love to see a guy like Eric Berry flying around the secondary.

2R- CB- Really too early to say that one of, or both, Tillman and Jennings will be gone next year. I'm also not sure how much the org like Frey, who has looked more than solid in preseason and unnoticeable in the first 2 games, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't heard about him getting beat, nor have I heard about him doing anything really good. If he steps up and can take the place of 1 of Tillman/Jennings that would be fantastic. If both Tillman and Jennings are back and Frey looks good I wouldn't mind even waiting another round to grab a CB. If one of Tillman or Jennings is gone and Frey doesn't step up then I would have to grab one in the first.

3R-OC- As we know the OL Kromer wants is built from the inside out so if Garza is out next year a good replacement is needed. If Garza is back, I'd flip flop 3 and 4.

4R-DT- As I said in the previous post, unless Melton goes balls out the rest of the way I'm letting him walk. Collins has looked more than competent out there and could be our best DLman through 2 games. Still though Collins and Paea(who I love) can't do it every down so bringing in another guy to rotate is a must.

5R-TE- The fact that the Bears traded for Rosario tells me they want to either run 2 TE sets or don't like what the have behind Marty. Rosario is decent but not the answer. If the coming up draft is anything like this past draft then a better TE than Rosario could be had in the 5th.

6R-QB- Maybe even flip 5-6 here. I think Jay is back next year and for years to come but it would be nice to have a young QB (who's better than an UDFA) for Trestman to groom.

7R-DL/CB- Washington looks like he could be a stud, SMC should continue to grow, and Wooton will be fine so even if father time has caught up with Pep I think the Bears still have the bullets despite not really showing up the first 2 weeks. All that said there's no such thing as too many good DLman, esp. on a team with a potential HoFer like Peppers to learn from.....I also wouldn't mind seeing another corner here, preferably one with some return skills.

This is all wayyyyy to early to really predict, and probably pointless but it was a good way to pass time.

I actually don't find this to be trolling at all for what it's worth.

Priority depends on how the draft shakes down of course. I don't think the Bears need to reach for anything if it's not there.

In a perfect world where the quality of player is there in each round I'd like to see the draft go as follows...(NOTE, it's really way too early for this ish)

1st round- Safety- Of all the positions "of need" for next year safety is the position where a rookie can come in and play right away, and that is what I'd want out of a 1st rounder. I agree with what Brian said earlier about other teams safeties buzzing around and making a much bigger impact than what we have seen here lately. I'd love to see a guy like Eric Berry flying around the secondary.

2R- CB- Really too early to say that one of, or both, Tillman and Jennings will be gone next year. I'm also not sure how much the org like Frey, who has looked more than solid in preseason and unnoticeable in the first 2 games, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't heard about him getting beat, nor have I heard about him doing anything really good. If he steps up and can take the place of 1 of Tillman/Jennings that would be fantastic. If both Tillman and Jennings are back and Frey looks good I wouldn't mind even waiting another round to grab a CB. If one of Tillman or Jennings is gone and Frey doesn't step up then I would have to grab one in the first.

3R-OC- As we know the OL Kromer wants is built from the inside out so if Garza is out next year a good replacement is needed. If Garza is back, I'd flip flop 3 and 4.

4R-DT- As I said in the previous post, unless Melton goes balls out the rest of the way I'm letting him walk. Collins has looked more than competent out there and could be our best DLman through 2 games. Still though Collins and Paea(who I love) can't do it every down so bringing in another guy to rotate is a must.

5R-TE- The fact that the Bears traded for Rosario tells me they want to either run 2 TE sets or don't like what the have behind Marty. Rosario is decent but not the answer. If the coming up draft is anything like this past draft then a better TE than Rosario could be had in the 5th.

6R-QB- Maybe even flip 5-6 here. I think Jay is back next year and for years to come but it would be nice to have a young QB (who's better than an UDFA) for Trestman to groom.

7R-DL/CB- Washington looks like he could be a stud, SMC should continue to grow, and Wooton will be fine so even if father time has caught up with Pep I think the Bears still have the bullets despite not really showing up the first 2 weeks. All that said there's no such thing as too many good DLman, esp. on a team with a potential HoFer like Peppers to learn from.....I also wouldn't mind seeing another corner here, preferably one with some return skills.

This is all wayyyyy to early to really predict, and probably pointless but it was a good way to pass time.

Way to early, right on there. We have so many contracts coming up things are going to be quite impossible to predict. One thing for sure if Cutler plays well, he will get paid.

Way to early, right on there. We have so many contracts coming up things are going to be quite impossible to predict. One thing for sure if Cutler plays well, he will get paid.

Barring just a straight up awful season I think Jay will be paid regardless IMO. All the talk of it taking 3 years for the system to really click is what makes me think that. I do really like the QBs in the draft class (Bridgewater, Hundley, Boyd, Manziel etc.) coming up but I just can't see the Bears moving on to starting a rookie QB.

Barring just a straight up awful season I think Jay will be paid regardless IMO. All the talk of it taking 3 years for the system to really click is what makes me think that. I do really like the QBs in the draft class (Bridgewater, Hundley, Boyd, Manziel etc.) coming up but I just can't see the Bears moving on to starting a rookie QB.

I agree on Jay, what will be interesting is what the contract cost will be. You are right, unless the season is just plain awful, they might look elsewhere. I don't see them getting a sniff of the top QB's, if the current standings held true (big if), Cleveland, Jacksonville, Minnesota, & Tampa Bay will be looking for a QB.

Looking through, does anyone here have a clue how much the Bears have committed on next year's cap? They have a ton of guys who are free agents obviously, do they have space to play with?

Emery's "Signing guys to minimum contracts to maximize the space" might help the team a ton this year but it definitely leaves some openings next year, with Slausson in particular being a guy from that group I'd like to see signed again.

Looking through, does anyone here have a clue how much the Bears have committed on next year's cap? They have a ton of guys who are free agents obviously, do they have space to play with?

Emery's "Signing guys to minimum contracts to maximize the space" might help the team a ton this year but it definitely leaves some openings next year, with Slausson in particular being a guy from that group I'd like to see signed again.

According to Sportscity, http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salaries/chi...bears-salaries/

the Bears will have $86.3 committed in 2014/15 with Cutler, Melton, Tillman, Jennings, Hester, Gould, Garza, Wright, Wootton, Williams, Anderson, and Costanzo all coming off the books.

From my calculations(looking at cap hits, not sure if that's what I should be looking at) they're roughly at 82M. The NFL salary cap is 123M this year, and I doubt that decreases, so if cap hits is what I should be looking at then the Bears have 41M to work with.

I won't try to go any further looking into potential contracts until I know if cap hits is what I should look at.

According to Sportscity, http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salaries/chi...bears-salaries/

the Bears will have $86.3 committed in 2014/15 with Cutler, Melton, Tillman, Jennings, Hester, Gould, Garza, Wright, Wootton, Williams, Anderson, and Costanzo all coming off the books.

Looks about right, like I said the cap this year is 123M so that's 37M. With some restructuring of some contracts and some cuts that number can probably get upwards of 40.

IMO, Jay, Tillman, Jennings, and Wootton are the only must signs. Hester, Gould, and Costanzo are good/great special teams players but I'm not paying them if it means I can't sign the first 4. I don't think Melton will be the same player we saw the first 2 weeks all year but still though I think he'll be the odd man out as far as the big money players go. Garza and Wright I'd like to see replaced by rookies. Williams, if he comes "cheap" would be nice to have back since he can play every LB position. I'd say Anderson is probably a goner with hopefully Greene taking his spot. Slausson isn't on your list and I think he's a key player as well, unless the staff thinks Brown can step up.

If they can get guys to agree to backload the contracts they should be able to sign Jay(12), Tillman(8), Jennings(7), Wooton(4), Slausson(3), and Williams(2).

Looks about right, like I said the cap this year is 123M so that's 37M. With some restructuring of some contracts and some cuts that number can probably get upwards of 40.

IMO, Jay, Tillman, Jennings, and Wootton are the only must signs. Hester, Gould, and Costanzo are good/great special teams players but I'm not paying them if it means I can't sign the first 4. I don't think Melton will be the same player we saw the first 2 weeks all year but still though I think he'll be the odd man out as far as the big money players go. Garza and Wright I'd like to see replaced by rookies. Williams, if he comes "cheap" would be nice to have back since he can play every LB position. I'd say Anderson is probably a goner with hopefully Greene taking his spot. Slausson isn't on your list and I think he's a key player as well, unless the staff thinks Brown can step up.

If they can get guys to agree to backload the contracts they should be able to sign Jay(12), Tillman(8), Jennings(7), Wooton(4), Slausson(3), and Williams(2).

If Cutler wins a Super Bowl and gets $20/year, it's a good problem to have. Then, you keep the guys you can and let cheaper veterans flock to your team, knowing that they can win, similar to what happened in Baltimore.

You then trust that Emery and Trestman can have another great draft and you're very competitive again next year.

Two weeks in, I would not be upset if Wright, Melton, Costanzo and Garza are gone (especially Garza, because he's been bad for a few years now). Tillman is most likely gone because of age and money. Anderson is gone due to the drafting of Greene this past year. DJ Williams is gone because of Bostic.