TRich Trade

adam

So what are your general thoughts on the trade? I think Indy got a steal getting someone drafted that high for what is almost guaranteed to be a late 1st rounder. If Indy was looking for an RB, I am surprised a team like HOU (Foster/Tate) or BUF (Spiller/Jackson) were not in on this type of deal. Cleveland was already bad and just got a lot worse, so I don't know what their motivation was to pull the string on a deal like this now, especially if IND was the desperate team. Why not a 1st and a 3rd to compensate for the draft position?

To me, the timing and value of the trade seem a little odd. I would be pissed if the Bears did something like this, especially if the return value is almost assuredly not going to be as much as what you lost.

The Bears kind of did this with Olsen. Obviously, not as high of a profile trade, but essentially a 1st round tight end was traded for a 3rd round pick. The Bears were left with nothing of quality to back him up. Cedrick Bensen being cut after only a few years could arguably be put on this list or even Carimi being cut after 2 season.

I could see the argument of Indy getting a steal. They get a RB that was the number 3 pick over all 2 drafts ago to fill a gaping need, for what will likely be a draft pick in the 20s.

The Browns on the other hand, have seen what Richardson has to offer. The regime in charge there now are not the same ones that drafted him. The value of running backs is rather low in the league in general and he hasn't exactly been an Adrian Peterson freak just yet. Next year is going to be a solid draft for QBs, and they need one to build around. The short lifespan of RBs isn't exactly the position you want to build around in the NFL.

I think in the long run both teams were benefit. The only reason I would be upset as a Browns fan would be because they are giving up on the season obviously in week 2. Let's be honest tho, their season was over before it started. As bad as it sounds, this should also make their first round pick even better, so there is value in that too.

Well, I saw this and was shocked. I have him on this sites' Fantasy Keeper league. I think in that regard it will help. But enough about me.

Indy is sitting pretty, IMHO, because they have Luck (who has a ton of upside), Wayne (who is still good at his age) and now Richardson (who equally has a lot to offer in the years to come). I would be remiss in predicting these guys as Dynasty Contenders if managed properly. I will be sending my congrats to my folks who currently live in Indy.

Cleveland is Cleveland. Like TD said, their season was done before it started. They are looking at re-building and not waiting to see how this season is going to pan out. Like the hiring of Trestman only time will tell on whether it works out to the positive. They have a trove of draft picks they can use to stock up in key places so again, if done right they could be future contenders.

Which brings a question to mind. Apparenlty with the "previous regime" talk in Cleveland, suddenly I see Weeden has become expendable too. Could he be a potential backup to Cutler with hopes of taking over one day? Especially if Trestman proves to be the QB whisperer everyone claims him to be? I don't know a lot about him other than age could be his enemy.

In the short term I think it's a good thing for Indy. Richardson does everything well and gives Indy a dynamic the desperately need. Losing Ballard for the season prompts this move. That being said, they paid too much because I don't think Richardson will have a long career. Would any of you pay a 1st for a guy who is oft injured and takes a lot of punishment???

If I were a Cleveland fan I'd be PISSED! Of course they're used to disappointment there so...

I think it's a good move for Indy. They're in a win now mode and he's going to give them a lot of punch in the running game. he'll benefit from the open sets etc. He'll do well.

I was surprised by the trade. This type of blockbuster only two weeks into the season is very unusual.

I had heard on the radio that Richardson (rumors of course) hated the snow and did not like Weeden whatsoever. If he really is a malcontent, again rumors, then maybe its for the best to make of it what you can. I feel for the Brown's fans for sure, as a Cub fan, now having to buy into the Epstein theory of tanking it for a few seasons while you grow the system, I know Cleveland's pain.

While excellent points have been made about the abundance of fine QB's coming out, the question becomes, can Lombardi pull off a sufficient haul to satisfy the fan base? Is he the right guy?

Wasn't/isn't AP in this category?

Oft injured or punished? Because AP has not been oft injured, thus he takes the punishment well.(plus he's a freak) Richardson, on the other hand, has not shown any durability in his 1st two seasons. So, any comparison you would make to the two is wrong. Richardson should have never been taken that high in the first place.

To CDog: You know there is a difference in the punishment certain running backs take...

Oft injured or punished? Because AP has not been oft injured, thus he takes the punishment well.(plus he's a freak) Richardson, on the other hand, has not shown any durability in his 1st two seasons. So, any comparison you would make to the two is wrong. Richardson should have never been taken that high in the first place.

I was thinking back when AP played for A&M and recall he had an issue with injuries for most of his career. Because I couldn't recall specifics I checked out Wikipedia, here's a synopsis of what I found:

Freshman: Dislocated shoulder. Had surgery at end of season to strengthen the shoudler

Sophomore: High ankle sprain. We all know how those malinger and according to Wikipedia, missed the first 4 games but still rushed for over 1,000 yds that season

Junior: Broken collar bone where he was unable to play in seven games.

He passed on his Senior year to go into the draft. Where he became the player we know today. Of course we all are aware of his more recent ACL/MCL tear. What might be mistaken in this case are pain tolerance and injury plagued. Although an arguement could be made that AP has been "oft injured" he certainly plays through it more than many other players would.

Sweetness probably suffered from a lot more injury than he cared to admit. With his running style he had to be hurting more than he would own up to. AP is the same way. TRich may not have that level of tolerance. Time will tell.

I was thinking back when AP played for A&M and recall he had an issue with injuries for most of his career. Because I couldn't recall specifics I checked out Wikipedia, here's a synopsis of what I found:

Freshman: Dislocated shoulder. Had surgery at end of season to strengthen the shoudler

Sophomore: High ankle sprain. We all know how those malinger and according to Wikipedia, missed the first 4 games but still rushed for over 1,000 yds that season

Junior: Broken collar bone where he was unable to play in seven games.

He passed on his Senior year to go into the draft. Where he became the player we know today. Of course we all are aware of his more recent ACL/MCL tear. What might be mistaken in this case are pain tolerance and injury plagued. Although an arguement could be made that AP has been "oft injured" he certainly plays through it more than many other players would.

Sweetness probably suffered from a lot more injury than he cared to admit. With his running style he had to be hurting more than he would own up to. AP is the same way. TRich may not have that level of tolerance. Time will tell.

He played at Oklahoma. I was referring to pro careers...

The Bears kind of did this with Olsen. Obviously, not as high of a profile trade, but essentially a 1st round tight end was traded for a 3rd round pick. The Bears were left with nothing of quality to back him up. Cedrick Bensen being cut after only a few years could arguably be put on this list or even Carimi being cut after 2 season.

I could see the argument of Indy getting a steal. They get a RB that was the number 3 pick over all 2 drafts ago to fill a gaping need, for what will likely be a draft pick in the 20s.

The Browns on the other hand, have seen what Richardson has to offer. The regime in charge there now are not the same ones that drafted him. The value of running backs is rather low in the league in general and he hasn't exactly been an Adrian Peterson freak just yet. Next year is going to be a solid draft for QBs, and they need one to build around. The short lifespan of RBs isn't exactly the position you want to build around in the NFL.

I think in the long run both teams were benefit. The only reason I would be upset as a Browns fan would be because they are giving up on the season obviously in week 2. Let's be honest tho, their season was over before it started. As bad as it sounds, this should also make their first round pick even better, so there is value in that too.

Even though it was in the same round, there is nothing similar about the Olsen trade and TRich trade. Olsen was not traded during the season, and was basically let go because of Martz. Carimi and Benson? Not even close.

TRich had a great rookie year and was poised to have another solid year. He caught 51 balls last year as a rookie. He is crazy versatile and would fit in almost any offense. There is no way Cleveland is going to be better at any point in the next 5 years without TRich and with whoever they pick in the 20's with Indy's first round pick next year.

The Browns probably feel that they can't win this year, and that by the time they're competitive again, Richardson might be broken down.

This... and the fact they won't go anywhere without a QB in today's NFL so might as well go all out for the right guy. I think Lombardi is right to make the deal for a 1st Rd pick.

On Richardson's durability I haven't watched him play but some RBs are better at avoiding the big hit. LT was very good at it in his prime. Other RBs just run into defenders. Not sure where Richardson falls on that scale but if he takes a lot of contact that has to be a factor when considering his longevity.

On Richardson's durability I haven't watched him play but some RBs are better at avoiding the big hit. LT was very good at it in his prime. Other RBs just run into defenders. Not sure where Richardson falls on that scale but if he takes a lot of contact that has to be a factor when considering his longevity.

That of course is the problem I'm having trying to figure this trade out too...I haven't watched him play, because who watches Browns games outside of Cleveland?

The Browns probably feel that they can't win this year, and that by the time they're competitive again, Richardson might be broken down.

Haven't they had that feeling for the last 20+ years? I thought with Weeden, TRich, Cameron, Gordon, they were starting to have a decent Offensive Corps to work from, and their defense was solid.

To me, in Year 2, this doesn't make much sense. There is no way a late 2014 1st Rounder is going to equal the production of TRich over the same period. With rookie contracts under control, even from a financial perspective, this is confusing.

It was reported that Cleveland initiated contact on the trade. Why not do this in the offseason, why now? I understand IND was in need of a RB, but there have to be a handful of teams that would've been willing to give up that type of pick to have TRich this soon after his rookie deal. Cleveland also had to pay the bulk of the bonuses, which makes the deal even better for Indy.

Even though it was in the same round, there is nothing similar about the Olsen trade and TRich trade. Olsen was not traded during the season, and was basically let go because of Martz. Carimi and Benson? Not even close.

TRich had a great rookie year and was poised to have another solid year. He caught 51 balls last year as a rookie. He is crazy versatile and would fit in almost any offense. There is no way Cleveland is going to be better at any point in the next 5 years without TRich and with whoever they pick in the 20's with Indy's first round pick next year.

Not only that, but Olsen was considered an average to above average TE with a fairly established track record, minimal upside, and sometimes questionable toughness. Richardson, on the other hand, is a 2nd year player with significant upside coming off of a very impressive rookie season on a horrible team.

My initial thoughts when I heard the trade were, "Wtf is Cleveland thinking?" They give up Trent Richardson (a former #3 overall pick) for a 1st round draft pick that'll wind up somewhere in the high teens-early twenties in next years draft.

However, I can see a win/win situation for both teams. The Browns now have the ammunition to pull off another mega deal for a player they covet in next year's draft (like Bridgewater), or worse case, they could end up using both those 1st rounders to immediately begin revamping their team to win next year and in the future.

My initial thoughts when I heard the trade were, "Wtf is Cleveland thinking?" They give up Trent Richardson (a former #3 overall pick) for a 1st round draft pick that'll wind up somewhere in the high teens-early twenties in next years draft.

However, I can see a win/win situation for both teams. The Browns now have the ammunition to pull off another mega deal for a player they covet in next year's draft (like Bridgewater), or worse case, they could end up using both those 1st rounders to immediately begin revamping their team to win next year and in the future.

Or keep TRich and still draft a QB with their original pick. The Colts are more than likely going to be a mid-20's pick. Though you can still get quality talent in that pick, there is no way that equals #3 from 2012. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this trade seems fishy and would be contested in most Fantasy Football leagues as too lopsided.

Or keep TRich and still draft a QB with their original pick. The Colts are more than likely going to be a mid-20's pick. Though you can still get quality talent in that pick, there is no way that equals #3 from 2012. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this trade seems fishy and would be contested in most Fantasy Football leagues as too lopsided.

The problem is, him being a #3 pick in 2012 doesn't matter one bit right now. Teams have a full season plus of video, scouting reports, and injury reports on him. Once you're on the field, your draft slot matters 1% as much as it did that April; you either perform or you don't.

The problem is, him being a #3 pick in 2012 doesn't matter one bit right now. Teams have a full season plus of video, scouting reports, and injury reports on him. Once you're on the field, your draft slot matters 1% as much as it did that April; you either perform or you don't.

I think it still has some leverage power since he was only drafted last year.

This all day. Obviously he is not who they hoped they were getting. If you draft a guy at 3, you are expecting a stud. I think Richardson is good, but not 3 good.

The Browns have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, including 2 in the 1st and 2 in the 3rd. They need to get at least 2 very good players out of that bunch. Two others can be solid-good ones. One is allowed to bust, because nobody hits on all 5 of their first 5 picks ever.

I will say that I'm thrilled that the Bears play the Browns this year, however. :dabears