Cutler Expected to Start against the Lions

xvflutop

Lol you musta missed the Minnesota game yesterday, announcers brought up Webbs name a few times and he was even highlighted. Didn't give up a single QB hit.

Lol and while were talking last nights game did you see Ponder and Cassel complete 21 of 27 passes against that tough Washington D? Man, those guys are goood, that's a higher percentage than McCown completed against them!! Maybe we should try to get one of those guys to start!!

To quote the infamous words uttered by Admiral Isaroku Yamamoto: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

Maybe I should have left well enough alone because now I fear a whole new debate on how effective Webb continues to be, despite he being on the illustrious Minnesota Vikings. But I digress....

Oh SCS, lest we forget that Cutler was hurt against that very same (and venerable) Defense of Washington you mock. And where not only was he hurt, but before McCown took over, he threw an interception for a direct score. One game does not a season make.

And through all this tongue in cheek commentary of yours you forget that McCown did beat the Packers...at Lambeau field...against a normally stout Packers D....who are coordinated by Dom Capers (one of the highest regarded D coordinators in the NFL). But I know, none of that matters.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote the infamous words uttered by Admiral Isaroku Yamamoto: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."

Maybe I should have left well enough alone because now I fear a whole new debate on how effective Webb continues to be, despite he being on the illustrious Minnesota Vikings. But I digress....

Oh SCS, lest we forget that Cutler was hurt against that very same (and venerable) Defense of Washington you mock. And where not only was he hurt, but before McCown took over, he threw an interception for a direct score. One game does not a season make.

And through all this tongue in cheek commentary of yours you forget that McCown did beat the Packers...at Lambeau field...against a normally stout Packers D....who are coordinated by Dom Capers (one of the highest regarded D coordinators in the NFL). But I know, none of that matters.

Well, you said he wasn't NFL caliber and I simply pointed out that he's still in the NFL, thus you are wrong and we'll leave it at that.

And SMC had 3 sacks and injured Aaron "Ironman" Rodgers. While "One game does not a season make" as you so elegantly put it, apparently 1.5 games does....If you think McCown would go the whole season without throwing a pick you'd be sadly mistaken. As I pointed out in the McCown thread, Jay has had no interceptions as well, and against much better defenses...Including the 4th ranked Saints.

I didn't forget about the Packers, I just brought up last nights game while I was on the subject. Packers D is 18th against the pass to begin with and they were missing 3 of their 4 starting LBs including the heart of their D Clay Matthews.

I'm not saying I haven't been impressed with Josh, I certainly have, I'm just saying the people who would be pining for McCown after Jay does something wrong be silly.

If you think McCown would go the whole season without throwing a pick you'd be sadly mistaken.

Didn't think that, nor do I believe it.

As I pointed out in the McCown thread, Jay has had no interceptions as well, and against much better defenses...Including the 4th ranked Saints.

In this regard (bolded) you are referring to just the two sample games you chose right? Not the Minny or Det games where he committed three turnovers in each.

I'm not saying I haven't been impressed with Josh, I certainly have, I'm just saying the people who would be pining for McCown after Jay does something wrong be silly.

You would definitely not be in the minority, but I guess not only can you call "moronic" but a "silly" one at that.

One last disclaimer before I part: I hope all the best for Jay. I hope he puts up pro-bowl worthy numbers for the rest of the season. Along with that I expect turnovers....SOME turnovers, not many. I hope Jay gets the contract he deserves, with the Bears. And I hope they are able to bring back Josh for the next couple years in his relief. I have seen what Josh can do, and that comforts me. Because IF Jay does fail, we have someone we can rely on to pick up the pieces. :dabears

No one should make it more complicated than it is. If a backup journeyman QB can have as much success as your pedigreed starter, that devalues the starter. Simple enough.

Whether or not you think that has happened already or would continue to happen is opinion and conjecture, respectively, and beside the point.

No one should make it more complicated than it is. If a backup journeyman QB can have as much success as your pedigreed starter, that devalues the starter. Simple enough.

Whether or not you think that has happened already or would continue to happen is opinion and conjecture, respectively, and beside the point.

Matt Flynn and Kevin Kolb kinda made some noise like that, but fell flat. Brady and Kaepernick took it ran. The common trend was that they were young and unproven. McCown is neither. Not buying it.

Matt Flynn and Kevin Kolb kinda made some noise like that, but fell flat. Brady and Kaepernick took it ran. The common trend was that they were young and unproven. McCown is neither. Not buying it.

Does fell flat mean they didn't devalue their starter? I literally don't know what you're talking about bringing up those guys.

To give you some credit, I think you may arguing something different than me (based on previous posts), because you can't rationalize away the common-sense statement I made.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. Brady and Kap supplanted their starter. Flynn didn't.

I'm going to have to roll my eyes a bit at pointing out that Flynn did not have a clear effect on the standing of one of the best QBs to ever play in the NFL (who wasn't in a contract year). As for Brady and Kap, they both devalued their starter in the most extreme way, and I still don't understand Kolb's significance.

Let's put it another way if you really don't see it as conventional wisdom...

Before I ever heard a pundit or fan mention it, I noticed that McCown was performing as good or better than Cutler and thought "well, I wouldn't be too quick to put my trust in someone who's had so much experience being mediocre (talking about McCown), but I'm certainly feeling less desperate to keep Cutler if success in Trestman's system can be had much easier than I initially thought."

Now, if that thought occurred to me, I guarantee you it occurred to the Bears, and probably Cutler, and there you go. I'm only arguing the obvious, not that Cutler is somehow now expendable because of McCown.

Let's put it another way if you really don't see it as conventional wisdom...

Before I ever heard a pundit or fan mention it, I noticed that McCown was performing as good or better than Cutler and thought "well, I wouldn't be too quick to put my trust in someone who's had so much experience being mediocre (talking about McCown), but I'm certainly feeling less desperate to keep Cutler if success in Trestman's system can be had much easier than I initially thought."

Now, if that thought occurred to me, I guarantee you it occurred to the Bears, and probably Cutler, and there you go. I'm only arguing the obvious, not that Cutler is somehow now expendable because of McCown.

And you based this on 6 quarters of football, plus future hypothetical games. You are far too advanced for my dumb logic. I'm not even on your level enough to agree with anything you said. I guess that's why you have the right to be condescending. <_>

CA: "Do I really have to mention offensive line and lack of quality receivers past Marshall? I mean we had no tight end and Jeffrey was hurt." "Mike Tice as the OC? Really?"

Would probably be the response, not a dumb look.

That doesn't make sense. That's saying that Cutler is better this year because of the players that surround him, and would still surround any other QB that replaced him.

That's a point the bears would make, not Cutler's agent?

I think the real point here isn't Cutler vs McCown, It's Cutler vs someone else, maybe a rookie.

We see Cutler is a tremendous athlete. We know that if he made good decisions, he could be one of the best.

We also see that Cutler doesn't play within himself, and tries to do too much McCown's success is just evidence that the Trestman system will work better than a gunslinger, even with a 2nd tier QB running it. Imagine what it would look like if Cutler ran it correctly. Amazing, but is that really one of the choices?

Can Cutler learn? Certainly this staff will know the answer to that better than we can.

McCown's success serves to highlight that if Cutler continues to make bad decisions, and this INCLUDES audible-ing away form Matt Forte and the run too much, that we might be looking for a new QB next year, and in that case, maybe McCown will steer the ship while the rookie learns? Would Cutler play with heart for the Franchise tag one year, after the Bears draft a rookie QB in the first round?

Cutler is better than most QBs in the league, but I'm not sure he's better in the long run than a top rookie candidate with a Trestman graduate degree. McCowns success raises that question more than a direct threat to Cutler.

Very interesting stuff.

Are we some of the stupidest fans in the NFL. I started watching the NFL in 1980 when it was first shown in the UK. I loved McMahon but Cutler is hands down the best QB we have had. Some older bears fans actually state best ever.

We traded for him and didn't give him an Oline, any receivers and woeful coordinators and wondered why he couldn't lead us to a superbowl.

Now everything is in place for him to succeed no wonder McCown also has had a chance to succeed.

There is one fact regarding Cutler if we move on from him he is going to get paid. There are numerous teams where Cutler would be taken in a heart beat. I haven't got problem with Trestman drafting a QB for the future as per Favre and Rodgers scenario in Green Bay but surely our discussions should be about how the defense can be improved next year. How our interior line can handle Suh. We have a quality starting QB and there are at least 16 teams that would cry out for one.

I don't want to mortgage the team like Baltimore did with Flacco but he is going to get 15 to 20 million where ever he goes. I am hoping he feels wanted and supported by his fans and accepts closer to 15 something like 75 million over 5 years.

Are we some of the stupidest fans in the NFL. I started watching the NFL in 1980 when it was first shown in the UK. I loved McMahon but Cutler is hands down the best QB we have had. Some older bears fans actually state best ever.

We traded for him and didn't give him an Oline, any receivers and woeful coordinators and wondered why he couldn't lead us to a superbowl.

Now everything is in place for him to succeed no wonder McCown also has had a chance to succeed.

There is one fact regarding Cutler if we move on from him he is going to get paid. There are numerous teams where Cutler would be taken in a heart beat. I haven't got problem with Trestman drafting a QB for the future as per Favre and Rodgers scenario in Green Bay but surely our discussions should be about how the defense can be improved next year. How our interior line can handle Suh. We have a quality starting QB and there are at least 16 teams that would cry out for one.

I don't want to mortgage the team like Baltimore did with Flacco but he is going to get 15 to 20 million where ever he goes. I am hoping he feels wanted and supported by his fans and accepts closer to 15 something like 75 million over 5 years.

Excellent post, and I agree. I'm a younger fan(26) and I can agree that Cutler is the best we've had in my lifetime.

I know fantasy production is a little different than real life production, but it's a decent measuring stick, and Cutler was the 6th ranked QB in all of fantasy.

Cutler is probably gonna throw a pick or 2 today, I can almost guarantee it, Bears fans are almost surely to overreact to them and it's going be realllly annoying.

Cutler is probably gonna throw a pick or 2 today, I can almost guarantee it, Bears fans are almost surely to overreact to them and it's going be realllly annoying.

I think he is going to cost the team the game by coming back too early and possibly reinjure himself. If that happens, I thin the overreacting will be warranted.

I think he is going to cost the team the game by coming back too early and possibly reinjure himself. If that happens, I thin the overreacting will be warranted.

....and throw in the fact that if it does in fact cost the game, it loses the chance of first place in the division and solid ground for making the playoffs.

C'mon Jay, don't fail us now.

Jay Cutler-Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

This is the same fan base that has called Jay a pussy in the past, and some of the same fan base that got on Derrick Rose for not playing when he was medically cleared.

This is the same fan base that has called Jay a pussy in the past, and some of the same fan base that got on Derrick Rose for not playing when he was medically cleared.

I feel ya, but he did have his worst game of the year against them when he was healthy. I hope he does great, this is a very important game in the division. I just could see something happening like with Vick this year for rushing back too soon where he played poorly before reinjurring himself.

The same fan base who's city has a championship in each of the major sporting events; World Series Titles, NBA Championships, Stanley Cups and NFL Championships (notice I pluralized them). Where else can that be said? We really suck. :shakehead

And one final thought on Jay. With his injury perhaps he'll be more P. Manning or Brady like in that he'll be less mobile. More forced to read the field. Just a thought.

I feel ya, but he did have his worst game of the year against them when he was healthy. I hope he does great, this is a very important game in the division. I just could see something happening like with Vick this year for rushing back too soon where he played poorly before reinjurring himself.

I think no matter who started, the key will be the OLine. The OL was garbage in the first Detroit game and Cutler was bad. I think no matter who started this game if the OL played like they did in the first matchup the QB will have problems.

Vick was 6 of 9 in that game he returned from, he wasn't bad. If Jay DOES re injure himself then you huys get what you want.

The same fan base who's city has a championship in each of the major sporting events; World Series Titles, NBA Championships, Stanley Cups and NFL Championships (notice I pluralized them). Where else can that be said? We really suck. :shakehead

And one final thought on Jay. With his injury perhaps he'll be more P. Manning or Brady like in that he'll be less mobile. More forced to read the field. Just a thought.

Fans don't win championships my friend, not sure why that is relevant.

To your 2nd thought, ya I think the game plan gets dulled down a bit like it was against GB. Get the ball out quick and let the receivers do the work.

Vick was 6 of 9 in that game he returned from, he wasn't bad. If Jay DOES re injure himself then you huys get what you want.

Yea, but it was only for 30 yards and had an int. I don't think anyone wants him hurt. My comments have been more on what's better next year. Cutler vs, McCown & a rookie + 10 million to spend on improvements on the team next year. I hope Jay brings a super bowl home this year, not that he gets injured.

Yea, but it was only for 30 yards and had an int. I don't think anyone wants him hurt. My comments have been more on what's better next year. Cutler vs, McCown & a rookie + 10 million to spend on improvements on the team next year. I hope Jay brings a super bowl home this year, not that he gets injured.

Ya know, I'm gonna support Jay this year but I'm a little iffy on next year. Would I like Jay to be the QB next year? Absolutely. I believe the talk of it taking 3 years for the system to really click. But with the D in the shape it is I really wouldn't mind to see a rookie QB take over next year and they spen big bucks on getting some guys in here.

Fans don't win championships my friend, not sure why that is relevant.

If you read yours and 50 England's commentary it would have indicated your questioning of whether we, as Chicago fans, had the meddle to know whether our team and or players were any good. Asking if "we" were the "stupidest" fans and daring us to challenge the players to play (by your comments).

We as fans may not "win" championships, but we DO know winners (and whiners for that matter) when we see them.

Ya know, I'm gonna support Jay this year but I'm a little iffy on next year. Would I like Jay to be the QB next year? Absolutely. I believe the talk of it taking 3 years for the system to really click. But with the D in the shape it is I really wouldn't mind to see a rookie QB take over next year and they spen big bucks on getting some guys in here.

For the money, I would rather let Cutler walk, re-sign McCown, and draft a QB high in the draft. We can then have some payroll flexibility to bring in some FA's.