Signs point to Cutler starting

scs787

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 11 Dec

So barring something unexpected, Trestman clear #Bears will start Jay Cutler vs #Browns on Sunday.

But Trestman is leaving decision on QB open because he wants to see how he performs in workout later today, maybe see how he feels Thursday

I think it's the right move.

So barring something unexpected, Trestman clear #Bears will start Jay Cutler vs #Browns on Sunday.

But Trestman is leaving decision on QB open because he wants to see how he performs in workout later today, maybe see how he feels Thursday

I think it's the right move.

As long as we don't have a repeat of Detroit game #2. Where Cutler started to show signs of wear after the start of the 2nd half then expect Josh to bail out the team with only two mins to do it.

Right move if healthy but unless dude throws for 400 yds and 5 scores no picks. Win by 30+ the media will crush him.

And of course the Bears finally face a top 10 pass defense, a pass defense that has only given up 1 300 yard game this year, so he may not even reach 300 and the uninformed will look at the stats and crush him.

And of course the Bears finally face a top 10 pass defense, a pass defense that has only given up 1 300 yard game this year, so he may not even reach 300 and the uninformed will look at the stats and crush him.

To be fair, and perhaps play the "devil's advocate" wouldn't it be apt to judge him as the "Franchis QB" vs the "Backup starter" and be appropriately "burned" if he doesn't at least put up respectable numbers? Trestman actually may be the one that bears most of the burden for making a choice and sticking with it. Make no mistake, this story (outside of Halas Hall and the fans who do pay attention) makes for a dramatic QB controversy story.

To be fair, and perhaps play the "devil's advocate" wouldn't it be apt to judge him as the "Franchis QB" vs the "Backup starter" and be appropriately "burned" if he doesn't at least put up respectable numbers? Trestman actually may be the one that bears most of the burden for making a choice and sticking with it. Make no mistake, this story (outside of Halas Hall and the fans who do pay attention) makes for a dramatic QB controversy story.

The point I was making is how do you compare what Josh did against bad defenses vs what Jay does against a good defense?

The Browns held Tom Brady scoreless in the 1st half last week....Is Josh McCown better than Tom Brady?

Brady was the guy who got the only 300+ yard game against them because he put up 179 yards in what should have been garbage time in the 4th quarter.

Browns held Andy Dalton, who is 9th in the league in passing, to just 93 yards.

The point I was making is how do you compare what Josh did against bad defenses vs what Jay does against a good defense?

But you also admitted that Baltimore and St Louis were decent defenses and Josh performed admirably in both games.

The Browns held Tom Brady scoreless in the 1st half last week....Is Josh McCown better than Tom Brady?

Brady was the guy who got the only 300+ yard game against them because he put up 179 yards in what should have been garbage time in the 4th quarter.

You're talking about the same Cleveland Browns that lost to Jacksonville Jaguars (28-32)? I think Cleveland is the anti-thesis of what Chicago is. They have a dominant defense and crap offense. At least in the QB and RB role. Which should play to our team's favor.

Remember that Denver also held Brady to zero scoring until the second half and they (Denver) still managed to lose so.... I will hold judgement on how well McCown is to Brady until he actually plays the game. If McCown produces better than did Brady then I will say 'yes' McCown is better, if only for a day. Isn't it true that McCown is trailing only P. Manning in QBR or some similar stat? In that regard, he is better.

Personally, I believe that to sit the offensive player of the week last week for Cutler is a mistake….McCown has proven what he can do and appears to have a hot hand, why sit him now? Oh well, in Trestman we trust.

I would not actually make a decision until Friday after Jay showed no signs of injury.

Based on their QBR's, McCown is better than Brady this year, along with a bunch of other QBs. Brady is not the same without Gronk.

Once again..against bad defenses....Gronk was injured in the 3rd Q.

But you also admitted that Baltimore and St Louis were decent defenses and Josh performed admirably in both games.

You're talking about the same Cleveland Browns that lost to Jacksonville Jaguars (28-32)? I think Cleveland is the anti-thesis of what Chicago is. They have a dominant defense and crap offense. At least in the QB and RB role. Which should play to our team's favor.

Remember that Denver also held Brady to zero scoring until the second half and they (Denver) still managed to lose so.... I will hold judgement on how well McCown is to Brady until he actually plays the game. If McCown produces better than did Brady then I will say 'yes' McCown is better, if only for a day. Isn't it true that McCown is trailing only P. Manning in QBR or some similar stat? In that regard, he is better.

To your first point, I thought St. Louis was gonna be a good test because they have a good pass rush....Their pass rush was almost non existent that game, and past that they are still 22nd in the league against the pass. The Baltimore game was when the field conditions were just awful, and it really favored the offense.

Yes, I'm talking about that team. Their record doesn't change the fact that they have only allowed one 300+ yard game, and are 9th against the pass, and 8th overall in team defense. Joe Hayden is considered by some to be the best corner in the game, and their other corner leads the league in pass deflections. I can already see people complaing about Cutler "focusing" on Marshall or Jeffery, when really he's just avoiding Hayden.

No.

Not now.

Not ever.

Listen to Mark Twain. There are lies. Damn lies. And Statistics.

I am beyond thrilled at what we're seeing out of Josh. But Brady is better. No matter what. Brady is a 100% bonafide HoF'er with an argument of best ever...

Let's be happy with what we have w/o making a comparission that is irrelevant and incorrect. I get that we are all caught up in the hoopla...but that is just silliness.

McCown is better than Brady this year

No!

Stop it guys!

I hate Brady. But I damn well respect him.

Not ever will McCown be better than Brady. He might have a better game...but he himself, is not a better QB.

THis is just fluffery that has no bearing other than in a bar after copious amounts of booze! Even then...!

Let's let McCown either have a good game or not and judge it on its own merits. Not compared to Brady. But odds are it'll be moot since it looks like Jay's starting.

.... I will hold judgement on how well McCown is to Brady until he actually plays the game. If McCown produces better than did Brady then I will say 'yes' McCown is better, if only for a day. Isn't it true that McCown is trailing only P. Manning in QBR or some similar stat? In that regard, he is better.

No!

Stop it guys!

I hate Brady. But I damn well respect him.

Not ever will McCown be better than Brady. He might have a better game...but he himself, is not a better QB.

THis is just fluffery that has no bearing other than in a bar after copious amounts of booze! Even then...!

Let's let McCown either have a good game or not and judge it on its own merits. Not compared to Brady. But odds are it'll be moot since it looks like Jay's starting.

Mad, you sound like a jilted girlfriend. Don't overreact and say that I was suggesting that McCown is overall better than Brady. You need not protect his history. What I did say is that McCown could be better than Brady , if only for one game against one team. It was in response to SCR and in that context alone. But if for stats alone whether they be "lies" or no, McCown, at the moment, IS better than Brady.

No.

I'm sorry, that's just a silly "drunk" argument. You are just saying "on any given Sunday". Of course that is correct. Sometimes great one falter or have no help. And sometimes mediocre ones rise above. Our offense may perform better than Brady's did, but our QB is not better. Whether it's Jay or Josh.

Mad, you sound like a jilted girlfriend. Don't overreact and say that I was suggesting that McCown is overall better than Brady. You need not protect his history. What I did say is that McCown could be better than Brady , if only for one game against one team. It was in response to SCR and in that context alone. But if for stats alone whether they be "lies" or no, McCown, at the moment, IS better than Brady.

The point is, if McCown was able to do what he did against "bad" defenses, then Cutler should be able to do similarly against "good" defenses since he's so much better than McCown. The other logical inference is that if Cutler were healthy, he would have done much better than McCown against the previously played teams with "bad" defenses. I don't believe he would have done better against those defenses, to be quite honest.

The point is, if McCown was able to do what he did against "bad" defenses, then Cutler should be able to do similarly against "good" defenses since he's so much better than McCown. The other logical inference is that if Cutler were healthy, he would have done much better than McCown against the previously played teams with "bad" defenses. I don't believe he would have done better against those defenses, to be quite honest.

Meh.....I just think it's wrong to compare what Josh did against the 32nd, 30th, 27th, 22nd, 21st, and the 14th ranked defense(on field conditions that favor the offense) against what Jay does against the team who just last week was ranked 5th against the pass.

If Jay puts up 250 yards against them, something only Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Joe Flacco have done, I'll take it as a win.

Meh.....I just think it's wrong to compare what Josh did against the 32nd, 30th, 27th, 22nd, 21st, and the 14th ranked defense(on field conditions that favor the offense) against what Jay does against the team who just last week was ranked 5th against the pass.

If Jay puts up 250 yards against them, something only Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Joe Flacco have done, I'll take it as a win.

Regardless of whether you think it's wrong, it's inescapably something people will do. At that point it's just about figuring a fair ratio between performances.

If McCown goes for 300 & 2 TDs against the 20th defense, what should Cutler get? 325 & 2TDs? 350 and 3TDs? That's how I think of it.

And in regards to the Cleveland game, I think Cutler - if he's so much better than McCown - should do as good against a top ten defense as McCown does against a defense in the teens, or something similar.

Cutler Production vs. 1-10 Defense = McCown Production vs. 11-21 Defense

Cutler Production vs. 11-21 Defense = McCown Production vs 21-32 Defense

(Cutler Production vs. Similar Defense * 1.5) = McCown Production vs Similar Defense

I'm gonna go into hiding if cutler doesn't go for 400 yds 6 scores 0 turnovers and we win by 40. Because you know what the morons out there will say. Mainly talking about national pundits or ppl who just hate on jay to begin with. They all will ignore top 5 defense. Ignore 5+ weeks off and just jump immediately to "see, I told you jay sucks. Josh is the future". Which is why we should all be smarter and judge jay on combination of all 3 games

I'm gonna go into hiding if cutler doesn't go for 400 yds 6 scores 0 turnovers and we win by 40. Because you know what the morons out there will say. Mainly talking about national pundits or ppl who just hate on jay to begin with. They all will ignore top 5 defense. Ignore 5+ weeks off and just jump immediately to "see, I told you jay sucks. Josh is the future". Which is why we should all be smarter and judge jay on combination of all 3 games

We should be smarter and judge Jay based on his career as a Bear. And that's what makes it difficult because by any measure he's been a disappointment. He's had outstanding games and horrible games. He's been expected to be a top 5 QB and has delivered average results, year after year. Now, there are plenty of reasons for that in Jay's defense, but it's understandable to question him THIS YEAR based on the fact that a literal nobody in the QB world has, quite simply put, outperformed him. I'm a "Jay guy" in these parts and even I'm left scratching my head as to what I've seen unfold out there this season.

But you're 100% right as to the fact that Jay should be given a little bit of a pass for some rust this week. Then again, ol' Josh didn't show any when he was forced to step in this year under even worse circumstances. Hell dude, I don't even know what to say at this point. Josh has shut me up.

We should be smarter and judge Jay based on his career as a Bear. And that's what makes it difficult because by any measure he's been a disappointment. He's had outstanding games and horrible games. He's been expected to be a top 5 QB and has delivered average results, year after year. Now, there are plenty of reasons for that in Jay's defense, but it's understandable to question him THIS YEAR based on the fact that a literal nobody in the QB world has, quite simply put, outperformed him. I'm a "Jay guy" in these parts and even I'm left scratching my head as to what I've seen unfold out there this season.

But you're 100% right as to the fact that Jay should be given a little bit of a pass for some rust this week. Then again, ol' Josh didn't show any when he was forced to step in this year under even worse circumstances. Hell dude, I don't even know what to say at this point. Josh has shut me up.

Yeah. Josh has been amazing. I just hope like hell jay is great this week and shuts the media up. But I'm also a realist and don't see that ever happening

Regardless of whether you think it's wrong, it's inescapably something people will do. At that point it's just about figuring a fair ratio between performances.

If McCown goes for 300 & 2 TDs against the 20th defense, what should Cutler get? 325 & 2TDs? 350 and 3TDs? That's how I think of it.

And in regards to the Cleveland game, I think Cutler - if he's so much better than McCown - should do as good against a top ten defense as McCown does against a defense in the teens, or something similar.

Cutler Production vs. 1-10 Defense = McCown Production vs. 11-21 Defense

Cutler Production vs. 11-21 Defense = McCown Production vs 21-32 Defense

(Cutler Production vs. Similar Defense * 1.5) = McCown Production vs Similar Defense

This is exactly how I feel. Cutler is a better athlete, but who knows if he is actually better in this system. Cutler should perform at or above the level of McCown regardless of the situation. I just feel that numbers are numbers, you can't try to take them out of context or manipulate them to suit your position. McCown, based on his stats alone is clearly outperforming Cutler in this offense.

So for the Cleveland game, Cutler should perform somewhere between Rodgers and Stafford, that seems to be a fair assessment. So somewhere between: 25/36, 260 Yds, 3 TD, 0 INT and 25/43, 248 Yds, 4 TD, 1 INT =

25-40, 254 Yds, 3 TD, 1 INT

To me that would be a decent game and something comparable with his skill level. The attempts are a little high, but the yardage and TD/INT should be close to those numbers.

Yeah. Josh has been amazing. I just hope like hell jay is great this week and shuts the media up. But I'm also a realist and don't see that ever happening

Unfiortunately that won't "shut them up". Him playing really well will only perpetuate (if not worsen) the "who will the QB be going forward" debate? Especially in the off season. Jay is near virtually in a 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' situation. If he comes out and plays like crap them theoretically it'll make it easier on the team to decide what to do with him. And in light of the possibility in them "shopping him" already, that is unsettling.