Healing Mock Offseason

Cutsizzle

Great write-up by the same guy who did the offensive lineman grades earlier in the year.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/12/30/th...mock-offseason/

I dont agree with everybody he has on there, but well thought out. He starts out wrong with the money, we save 9 mil, if we cut Peppers, he has it as 15 mil.

Not a bad offseason if this actually occurred. Anything similar would be excellent. I agree with Lucky Luciano though, Cutler will likely want more $.

Free Agents: Would love adding Michael Johnson DE, Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward FS, Kendrick Lewis SS and Arthur Jones NT

2014 DRAFT: Would love to draft Trent Murphy- the dude is a BEAST at DE. Drafting a CB like Fuller in the 2nd round makes sense- somebody will have to replace peanut. Another linebacker round 3 would be a nice choice as well.

RE: Johnson (FA), McClellin

DT: Melton (Re-sign) Paea

NT: Jones (FA), Ratliff

LE: Murphy (Rookie Rnd 1), Wootton

SLB: Bostic, Costanzo

MLB: Williams, Rookie Rnd 3

WLB: Briggs, Greene

CB1: Jennings (Re-sign), Bowman

CB 2: Fuller (Rookie Rnd 2), Frey

FS: Byrd or Ward (FA), Rookie Rnd 4

SS: Lewis (FA), Steltz

Our defense would be be upgraded tremendously, especially at the safety position. I believe Melton's return with the additions of Jones, Murphy and Johnson- the D-line has the potential to be one of the best in the NFC. Start taking notes Emery. This will be a LONG offseason.

I dont agree with everybody he has on there, but well thought out. He starts out wrong with the money, we save 9 mil, if we cut Peppers, he has it as 15 mil.

He did say post June 1 designation. If I'm not mistaken we would then save close to $13M this year instead of just the 9. I think he is close overall. I don't fully like all of it but I think its close. I would rather give Marshall a 3 yr or 4 yr extension. I know alot will call me crazy but thats fine I would go 5 yr deal on Jay but I can go along with 4 yrs also.

His post has him getting an avg of 16 mil a year.

I really like what I see in this article! Not sure where the money for ST's players is captured but if he's on the money, this would be a huge upgrade for the Bears. Of course, there are dozens of teams chasing the same FA's so there's no guarantee we can get any of them much less all of them. I think hiring a new DC with some name recognition might help sway a few of those FA's our way though.

Bye bye Mr. Tucker! (Although, I admit, I don't expect the Bears to do this, I really think they should.)

I really like what I see in this article! Not sure where the money for ST's players is captured but if he's on the money, this would be a huge upgrade for the Bears. Of course, there are dozens of teams chasing the same FA's so there's no guarantee we can get any of them much less all of them. I think hiring a new DC with some name recognition might help sway a few of those FA's our way though.

Bye bye Mr. Tucker! (Although, I admit, I don't expect the Bears to do this, I really think they should.)

Yeah I hope we get rid of tucker and bring in maybe frazier but I can't see any way we let him go after just 1 year

Jairus Byrd is a must in free agency. He should be priority #1 when the clock hits midnight.

When you look at how best to stabilize the backend of the defense I think adding Byrd makes the most sense. I don't know if Tillman will be back but even if he is at his age we have to think missing games due to injury is likely. I believe Jennings and Bowman will be back. Bowman should be back, he (finally) played well for us and having him around next year will give us solid depth.

Tillman has been one of my favorite players since all the way back when most Bears fans didn't like him because he was too slow to cover the smaller quicker WRs that were the trend at the time he started his career. The league transitioned to his better matchup with bigger WRs. Nonetheless, if a reasonable contract can't be done and he wants a home town bonus ala Urlacher and Kreutz it is time to move on. If it's a question of paying Tillman or Byrd I'd take Byrd and draft a rookie to replace Tillman.

I don't know if the Bears would do this, but what about adding both Byrd and the Alabama safety with the 1st round pick? You'd have two superstar safeties that would solidify the back end of the defense for years to come.

I agree. Sign me up. Also would like nix. He would help that dline tremendously

More I think about it, the more I think I'd rather have Nix over Dix. Bears certainly need to upgrade the safety positions, but I'm not sure they need superstars back there. Just last year we had the same safety duo as this year and were a top 5 D.

Gimme a FA FS, a 2-3R SS, and a monster DT like Nix in the 1R.

More I think about it, the more I think I'd rather have Nix over Dix. Bears certainly need to upgrade the safety positions, but I'm not sure they need superstars back there. Just last year we had the same safety duo as this year and were a top 5 D.

Gimme a FA FS, a 2-3R SS, and a monster DT like Nix in the 1R.

I agree. Grab nix in 1st and sign Byrd. That would be a huge step forward

I agree. Grab nix in 1st and sign Byrd. That would be a huge step forward

Those would be good additions. When we have a good defense we always have had good pressure from the front.I am for drafting HaHa and grabing a NT in the second round. McCullens from Tenn is a huge ,man.. Then getting a pass rushing DE,in free agency, like Johnson, Bennett, Jones, Orakpo, there are several out there we can get for the money we save from cutting Peppers. I think we need a team leader like Troy P.,or Reed were as great safeties, and would get that with HaHa.

Those would be good additions. When we have a good defense we always have had good pressure from the front.I am for drafting HaHa and grabing a NT in the second round. McCullens from Tenn is a huge ,man.. Then getting a pass rushing DE,in free agency, like Johnson, Bennett, Jones, Orakpo, there are several out there we can get for the money we save from cutting Peppers. I think we need a team leader like Troy P.,or Reed were as great safeties, and would get that with HaHa.

If Tillman returns he could be that leader til dix is ready also

Can anyone find why Dix was suspended??? Could be a stud player but might not be what everyone is calling a "team leader".

Not the most credible of sources but deadspin says for accepting a short term loan of $500 from strength coach. Who was placed an administrative leave around same time