Press conference to be on espn1000 radio

GakMan23

I finally got a chance to watch the Emery press conference, at least part of it. He has a lot of conviction in terms of building this team and how we came up short this year (not just that we did). If you work for him there is no way you are not uncomfortable about your future. Trestman's generally a quiet guy but got the same sense from him too. We'll see how that translates this offseason.

As far as the 3-4 or 4-3. This is what I see that gives us some insight but no detail:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...04-1960071e0fa6

---------------------------------------------------

Moving forward, Emery wants to build a "physical, fast, playmaking defense that causes disruption," something he says he saw in the first three games of the season when the Bears intercepted five passes, recovered six fumbles and scored three defensive touchdowns.

"The No. 1 thing is score. The No. 2 thing is to create turnovers. No. 3 is to cause disruption to the opposing quarterback," Emery said. "We have to create more confusion pre-snap and more disruption post-snap on the opposing quarterback."

Not clear that the Lovie 2 defense is gone but seems to indicate he wants a more diverse scheme. If I asked football fans what defense causes the most disruption to what offense's want to do I don't think anyone will say Lovie's scheme but you'll get a lot of "Steelers 3-4" in those answers. One thing to note is the value he places on having the defense score. Something to keep in mind as we head toward the draft because Emery might go after the playmaking DB first.

We are now a week after the season ended and no word on Tucker…so he is still getting "evaluated".

We are now a week after the season ended and no word on Tucker…so he is still getting "evaluated".

I was thinking he was giving Tucker a pass, based on the fact that he blamed himself for not providing depth and admitting SMC and Hardin are busts and Bostic was out of position he was drafted for.

I have mixed thoughts on Tucker.

The first 3 games of the season, as pointed out in interviews, were actually very good defensive performances, certainly good enough that if it were maintained at the same level we would have been 10-6 or 11-5 at the end of the season.

The rub is with injuries we fell flat on our face.

Emery has already said it is his fault for not having provided proper quality depth.

However, the "backups" and some of the regulars showed such poor technique after those first 3 games I would have to believe some of the blame has to go on Tucker's shoulders as well.

However you look at it, major changes need to be made, and Emery has indicated such changes are in the works, top priority in FA & the draft.

I have mixed thoughts on Tucker.

The first 3 games of the season, as pointed out in interviews, were actually very good defensive performances, certainly good enough that if it were maintained at the same level we would have been 10-6 or 11-5 at the end of the season.

The rub is with injuries we fell flat on our face.

Emery has already said it is his fault for not having provided proper quality depth.

However, the "backups" and some of the regulars showed such poor technique after those first 3 games I would have to believe some of the blame has to go on Tucker's shoulders as well.

However you look at it, major changes need to be made, and Emery has indicated such changes are in the works, top priority in FA & the draft.

i agree on the technique aspect and this to me shows POOR coaching. anybody can coach all-pro players. when you start losing starters it is the coaches responsibility to adjust his defense to compensate. this is very similar to why lovie fails as a coach. he can't adjust his scheme to what players he is forced to play. so, what did tucker do....

our rookies got worse and so did our veterans. there was no discipline at a single position. they made the same mistakes game after game after game. by game 12 the rookies are not rookies anymore. so either they are complete BUSTS or our coaching staff taught them nothing.

unless every member of that defense, backups or starters, do NOT belong in the NFL in any aspect then this falls right on top of tucker as not performing his job.

let me qualify... this was the worst defense in chicago history ever. for 93 years, the entire time the NFL has been in existence, the WORST!! it's historical. NOBODY gets a pass on that even if your pulling starters out of the stands.

FIRE tucker now or we hinder our chances to win a superbowl in our future.

EDIT: rookie development is critical. if we are retooling to be a younger team they HAVE to have someone who can bring them up to speed in the nfl quickly. so what is tucker going to teach these new draft picks that are so critical to this teams future defense? it seems to me we are going to give up another season to RE-test a coach who has done nothing in the nfl because of a 'glitch' in his hiring. even if he improves, how much? could another coach do a lot better? i believe he could.

I finally got a chance to watch the Emery press conference, at least part of it. He has a lot of conviction in terms of building this team and how we came up short this year (not just that we did). If you work for him there is no way you are not uncomfortable about your future. Trestman's generally a quiet guy but got the same sense from him too. We'll see how that translates this offseason.

As far as the 3-4 or 4-3. This is what I see that gives us some insight but no detail:

Moving forward, Emery wants to build a "physical, fast, playmaking defense that causes disruption," something he says he saw in the first three games of the season when the Bears intercepted five passes, recovered six fumbles and scored three defensive touchdowns.

"The No. 1 thing is score. The No. 2 thing is to create turnovers. No. 3 is to cause disruption to the opposing quarterback," Emery said. "We have to create more confusion pre-snap and more disruption post-snap on the opposing quarterback."

Not clear that the Lovie 2 defense is gone but seems to indicate he wants a more diverse scheme. If I asked football fans what defense causes the most disruption to what offense's want to do I don't think anyone will say Lovie's scheme but you'll get a lot of "Steelers 3-4" in those answers. One thing to note is the value he places on having the defense score. Something to keep in mind as we head toward the draft because Emery might go after the playmaking DB first.

Not to kick dirt on Lovie's tenure here in Chicago, but his defense was too much like Vince Tobin's in that it was a bend don't break defense. Lovie himself admitted a number of times that he did not care as much that teams gobbled up yards against his defense because in his mind, the longer the team is in a drive, eventually they will turn the ball over. The difference between that and Vince Tobin's defense was that Vince's teams never forced the volume of turnovers to make it a acceptable defense. Lovie's defensive scheme benefitted greatly from Peanut's wild ability to force turnvovers.

What I am taking from Emery, I think, is that he wants an attacking defense, one that will dictate the tone, I hope much like what we saw under Buddy Ryan. I think the Dick LeBeau defenses play that way.

I still believe Tucker is safe because they could be interviewing people already, so I have to assume there is a reason.

There is not much deception to any Cover-2 or 4-3 defense. If you have the right personnel, it can be effective, but if not, you can really get torched. No other defense seems to be so bang or bust. I would like to see a 3-4 at least considered, but unless we can improve our tackling and discipline, the scheme doesn't really matter.

I still believe Tucker is safe because they could be interviewing people already, so I have to assume there is a reason.

There is not much deception to any Cover-2 or 4-3 defense. If you have the right personnel, it can be effective, but if not, you can really get torched. No other defense seems to be so bang or bust. I would like to see a 3-4 at least considered, but unless we can improve our tackling and discipline, the scheme doesn't really matter.

On the radio today they were talking about some hybrid defenses. Like a 3-4 with 4-3 personal, that gives us 4 pass rushers. I personally think they have a plan and will get it to where it needs to be. We either have to trust they know what there doing or stay on the titanic and ride it down. I prefer-hope.

On the radio today they were talking about some hybrid defenses. Like a 3-4 with 4-3 personal, that gives us 4 pass rushers. I personally think they have a plan and will get it to where it needs to be. We either have to trust they know what there doing or stay on the titanic and ride it down. I prefer-hope.

I trust Emery and Trestman more than I ever trusted Jerry and Lovie.