Signings-Cutty-Jennings-Slauson

Uncle Buck

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm good with all three. Cutler is signed through 2020. That helps take care of the primary skill position .

Oh, I'm fine with it too! I wanted him back and now we'll find out if I'm right or wrong. It being a 7 year deal probably makes the first few years very cap-friendly too. But I haven't heard any details on that to confirm.

First 3 years of Cutler deal averages $18 on initial reports. Seems a little high for me but at least it is done and the Bears know what they have to work with.

It's a 7 year deal so that the early money is spread out to lower the cap hit,.

Probably a whole lot better than franchising him.

Jimminy Christmas!

That's a lot to wake up to the day after New Years.

I like the quickness. There is not f-in' around now. We are all in on Cutler. Slauson brings stability and Jennings is our best CB at the moment due to Peanut's injuries.

I like all 3. I don't know what the $ is, so I'm nost sure how it'll impact resigning others. But, I think between these 3 and Gould's signing, this boes well and puts us at ease.

At least we aren't in limbo up to FA and the draft. We know the pieces of the puzzle and we are locked in.

Time to try to get Josh to stick around for a little while to back Cutty up...

Per Emery presser, all three signed

Per Emery:

"He had his best season as a pro this past year from a statistical outlook,"

"I also think he had his best season as a pro in terms of his leadership, his improvement, his display of toughness, his ability to bounce back, his ability to handle the pressure and his ability to come back and win games."

Point being, if you thought signing Cutler was a good move when it was done and if Emery is right now, this makes all the sense in the world.

Reading between the lines, they sure haven't said many good things about Tucker and I feel that his walking papers are in the mail. Here's to hoping!

Agreed. However, it is interesting that they didn't mention it in the press conference. I'd have thought if they were ready they'd announce it. Maybe they didn't want to cloud this positive press conference with the negatives of the DC. Or maybe they are waiting to see if the right candidate becomes available. The big issue with Trestman is he has a major history of offing defensive coordinators so there could be some risk that you fire Tucker and end up unable to bring people back because the overall consensus in the league is he didn't get a fair deal.

Easy for an outsider to talk about the injuries and use it as an excuse. My issue was how out of position our defensive players were consistently. That said, Cutler indicated Tucker wouldn't be going anywhere and I have to think Cutler is pretty in the know. I also think it is pretty crazy that there wasn't any leaks. Bears front office seems to be tight lipped.

Per Emery:

Point being, if you thought signing Cutler was a good move when it was done and if Emery is right now, this makes all the sense in the world.

Trestman and Cutler are now tied at the hip and I love it (Kromer too...as Cutler excelling over the next couple years would create a great opportunity for him to move on and take a HC gig). Cutler was by far the most mature and best player this year (despite injuries) and it was year 1 in the system. He'll have a full off-season to work with his receiving corps and our coaching staff and continue to refine this offense, which should be a great thing. Sounds like this is a 3 year lock-up and then if you want to go longer and Jay is producing you do, otherwise you have the option of moving on.

If this move works, Trestman will retire with the Bears, imo, because we'll have the QB play and offense to be able to consistently win in this league and make the playoffs. They HAVE to fix the defense though and I appreciated the honesty out of Emery/Trestman regarding Shea and the defense as a whole.

Didn't see the presser, what did they say about the D and SMC?

Emery took full responsibility and said he didn't provide the team with the appropriate depth to overcome the injuries, etc. Emery said Shea didn't have enough impact plays and didn't play to his potential. Trestman said Shea is capable of more and the Bears coaches must take responsibility in his development because the talent is there. Basically they said he played crappy, but we aren't going to cut him, and we see potential and will work for him to take steps forward.

Emery also indicated he sees bostic as an OLB vs. MLB.

Happy to get the contract crap out of the way really quick, to cement the starter, and move on, but am I the only one who feels like the price was too steep? It's almost exactly what we've been talking about for months. It's damn near Peyton Manning money.

I sure hope Cutler stays on the upswing and tears the league a new A-hole, but his history suggests he won't change too much, and the money spent might be a bit much.

I think you are correct and incorrect in the same swing of the bat.

It's a lot. But, just imagine what the next QB deal was going to be for a starter. Every year, we get shocked by the amounts. I simpy think given the new landscape of QB deals, Jay got paid as a top 6 QB. Probably a little more than he should have becasue I see him as top 10. But, given there was no other alternative, I think it seems OK.

I think we can all easily sit here and question the move. Time will tell. But, I wonder...at least at this point...is his money better than Flacco's? Since signing big, Flacco too has yet to win anything. I think if given the choice, I'd rather have Jay than Flacco.

At some point, everyone pays for their QB. We can flap about Kaepernick and Wilson...but they have yet to win anything as low Money QB's... Eli, Rodgers, etc...all big buck QB's. I think Flacco did win while under a low contract, but not as low as Kaepnernick or Wilson I believe. Just sayin' the exceptions make the rules.

At the end of this, Jay will probably go down as the Bears best QB in terms of stats. Let's hope numerous trophies go hand in hand...

Happy to get the contract crap out of the way really quick, to cement the starter, and move on, but am I the only one who feels like the price was too steep? It's almost exactly what we've been talking about for months. It's damn near Peyton Manning money.

I sure hope Cutler stays on the upswing and tears the league a new A-hole, but his history suggests he won't change too much, and the money spent might be a bit much.

The dollar amount in the first couple years is similar to or even less than what it would take to franchise tag him and by doing this with a 7 year contract it'll probably make his cap hit something like just over $10 million a year.

Once you do that math, the question then becomes how much it takes to get it done now versus February, and there's an obvious benefit to getting it done now since they will not have to work out any top level QB's in February during the combine/interviews, they can focus on the guys they want on defense and get to work in FA.

Great point...

Once you do that math, the question then becomes how much it takes to get it done now versus February, and there's an obvious benefit to getting it done now since they will not have to work out any top level QB's in February during the combine/interviews, they can focus on the guys they want on defense and get to work in FA.

I feel like it is a little over valued, which is odd if the Bears have the best assessment on his value. The speed of the deal seems like the Cutler camp was happy with the deal too.

For next season we can finally say no excuses. 2nd year in system, OLine continuity, and a bunch of all pro level skill players. Almost any QB should be able to put up huge numbers and wins in that scenario.