Signings-Cutty-Jennings-Slauson

Uncle Buck

I couldn't agree more Pix.

With QB contracts soaring with every new signing I think the Bears were smart to lock him up to a 7 year deal. If he continues to improve in the 2nd year under Trestman you have to consider this: If they had kept him out of FA this year using the franchise tag his cap hit would have been even larger. Then, you would look at resigning him for a heck of a lot more than the deal he just got next year, guaranteed.

Is it a gamble, sure. However, it is a gamble when you sign any player to a high profile contract.

If, from what I am hearing, the Bears have some "outs" after the first 3 years, it would make the gamble a bit more tolerable.

I also like the fact that this was completed so quickly. Everyone, including myself, was concerned with all the free agents we had to resign / cut loose. Getting arguably the most difficult contract out of the way this fast will help Emery & our Front Office to better determine how to allocate our cap room to allow us to make the improvements on defense that are certainly needed.

It looks like Cliff not only knows how to put it into high gear signing our draft picks but also our own free agents.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more Pix.

I heard it was guaranteed at 54. So for the 1st 3 years we pay 18 per and after that it is a play per year, so his cost is gone. I like the fact they addressed who they wanted and got it done. Now they know what they have to spend and will judge their signing accordingly. It aint my money, and it doesnt really matter what I or you guys think, the only one that matters is Trestman wanted him. I trust him.

With QB contracts soaring with every new signing I think the Bears were smart to lock him up to a 7 year deal. If he continues to improve in the 2nd year under Trestman you have to consider this: If they had kept him out of FA this year using the franchise tag his cap hit would have been even larger. Then, you would look at resigning him for a heck of a lot more than the deal he just got next year, guaranteed.

Is it a gamble, sure. However, it is a gamble when you sign any player to a high profile contract.

If, from what I am hearing, the Bears have some "outs" after the first 3 years, it would make the gamble a bit more tolerable.

I also like the fact that this was completed so quickly. Everyone, including myself, was concerned with all the free agents we had to resign / cut loose. Getting arguably the most difficult contract out of the way this fast will help Emery & our Front Office to better determine how to allocate our cap room to allow us to make the improvements on defense that are certainly needed.

It looks like Cliff not only knows how to put it into high gear signing our draft picks but also our own free agents.

Great post Pix.

I heard it was guaranteed at 54. So for the 1st 3 years we pay 18 per and after that it is a play per year, so his cost is gone. I like the fact they addressed who they wanted and got it done. Now they know what they have to spend and will judge their signing accordingly. It aint my money, and it doesnt really matter what I or you guys think, the only one that matters is Trestman wanted him. I trust him.

It will be interesting to see the full details. What matters most is the offense is intact for 2 more years at least. The price may be steep, but its the price you pay since we can't groom prospects there it seems. Hopefully that aspect will change soon too.

It will be interesting to see the full details. What matters most is the offense is intact for 2 more years at least. The price may be steep, but its the price you pay since we can't groom prospects there it seems. Hopefully that aspect will change soon too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...ion-thereafter/

There's the full details on his contract. After the first 3 years there won't be a cap hit if he is cut. This year however, he's going to count 22.5 million against the cap.

There's the full details on his contract. After the first 3 years there won't be a cap hit if he is cut. This year however, he's going to count 22.5 million against the cap.

Thank you! That is a tough pill to swallow year one. With that hit Peppers will have to restructure.

Ugh. I hope they intend on amending this year after year, shifting some of his salary to bonus. Otherwise this deal doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure if pft is correct or not. Haven't seen anyone else say what they are reporting. $22.5 in yr 1 is tough to swallow but as a whole I like the deal. He got PD right in line with the other 2nd tier guys. I really like that after the 3 yrs its a pay as you go and if what they are reporting is true then the cap hits for yr 4, and 5 are quite reasonable. I look at this as more of a 5 yr deal. If he hits yrs 6 and 7 then its safe to assume he will have done something pretty damn good. I love that part of $$ is tied to his health and him participating in off season workouts. But like most I am ecstatic that we have already resigned 5 guys before the playoffs have even begun. This FO definitely doesn't freak around and I totally trust cliff stein when it comes to cap mgmt.

From the presser I do think a new DC will be brought in. I found ur quite interesting that they said they are still evaluating coaches and that they haven't spoken to tucker since game

Ugh. I hope they intend on amending this year after year, shifting some of his salary to bonus. Otherwise this deal doesn't make sense to me.

They had a lot of cap space this year in general and they want to be able to have a quick, non-guaranteed out if his health gets worse over time. It makes sense in those areas.

The problem is that they now can't afford to have any misses or injuries if they want to get any better on defense. The money isn't going to be there for big defensive signings when the team has so many different needs.

The dollar amount in the first couple years is similar to or even less than what it would take to franchise tag him and by doing this with a 7 year contract it'll probably make his cap hit something like just over $10 million a year.

Once you do that math, the question then becomes how much it takes to get it done now versus February, and there's an obvious benefit to getting it done now since they will not have to work out any top level QB's in February during the combine/interviews, they can focus on the guys they want on defense and get to work in FA.

The timing of it is great. You're right on that aspect.

What a garbage deal for a somewhat unproven commodity. 22.5? That is like 6 over the tag.

The best part of the deal is years 4 and 5, but I assume if he performs they will renegotiate anyway. So this is essentially a 3 yr deal with a 22.5 first year cap hit. That hit is so much higher than last year that there is no way Peppers comes back at that number.

LOL. How's that crow taste?

Every post I made I said we haven't seen the details yet. You talk about how I'm so mean to you but then you come up with this level of arrogance and I feel totally justified in ripping you a new one each and every time I have. Which is often since you say so many stupid, pigheaded things. But hey, no new ground broken here, I knew you were a jagoff. Thanks for confirming it once again. Have a great weekend!

A 22.5 million dollar cap hit is absolutely moronic and insane. This deal is even worse than I expected after they announced it yesterday. A franchise tag is an 16 million dollar cap hit. The point of a long term deal should have been to make that number lower, not higher!

Edit: I'm listening to Matt Spiegel on 670 and he claims from his "source" that Cutler gets a pro rated bonus that makes the Cap hit only 11.5 in year 1. He's posting the numbers on twitter shortly. I'll re-post them here.

A 22.5 million dollar cap hit is absolutely moronic and insane. This deal is even worse than I expected after they announced it yesterday. A franchise tag is an 16 million dollar cap hit. The point of a long term deal should have been to make that number lower, not higher!

Well the 2nd and 3rd year are better but 22.5 is way too high for any year of the deal. We have so many needs that this is going to prevent someone from being signed.

Jennings Cap Hits, per this article

This is per Brad Biggs on the Tribune Website

Base salary $1.355 million

Roster bonus $6.045 million

Workout bonus $100,000

Total cash $7.5 million

Salary cap figure $7.5 million

Base salary $4.4 million

Workout bonus $100,000

Total $4.5 million

Salary cap figure $4.5 million

Base salary $4.9 million

Workout bonus $100,000

Total $5 million

Salary cap figure $5.0 million

Base salary $5.3 million

Workout bonus $100,000

Total $5.4 million

Salary cap figure $5.4 million

Bears havea TON of cap space this year, so it might make sense to front load it like they did. With some cuts like Peppers, Podlesh, E. Bennett, Bush, and Podlesh the number before all the signings would be 56M....So after Cutler we're talking 34M....After Gould 31M....31M is still the 5th most cap room in the NFL....I know they have a lot of guys to sign, but I don't think the deal will hamper the team toooooo much.

And now ~24 after the Jennings signing. Melton and Tillman are the only big $$ guys left, and Melton might actually not be that expensive.

I believe they need what 5M for the draft??

So 20M to fill a roster seems realistic....There's also some restructuring that can be done.

Every post I made I said we haven't seen the details yet. You talk about how I'm so mean to you but then you come up with this level of arrogance and I feel totally justified in ripping you a new one each and every time I have. Which is often since you say so many stupid, pigheaded things. But hey, no new ground broken here, I knew you were a jagoff. Thanks for confirming it once again. Have a great weekend!

This post is hilarious. U Mad?

You were wrong then. I posted links that showed people reporting 18M per year, and still you acted like a dumbass and tried to rip me. You have been wrong so many times it's not even funny. And guess what? You're wrong again! Nothing new, just wrong again. Thanks for confirming it.

Like I said, you should spend less time trying to rip me and more time waiting for the sound of the pop.

So nice I'll post it twice.....

@MattSpiegel670

I've got a source I trust on the official cap hits for the Jay Cutler contract, & the numbers are not as they've been reported/listed.

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows:

’14: 11.8 mil

'15: 15.3

’16: 16.8

’17: 18.3

’18: 18.8

’19: 22

’20: 23

Here are the numbers, according to Spiegel's source:

The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows:

’14: 11.8 mil

’15: 15.3 mil

’16: 16.8 mil

’17: 18.3 mil

’18: 18.8 mil

’19: 22 mil

’20: 23 mil

SOURCE: Cutler contract calls for a prorated bonus of $10.8 mil for each of the first 5 seasons, adding up to the $54 mil guaranteed total.

SOURCE: Cutler's base salary for '14 is just 1 mil, and rises progressively to 8 mil for year 5, jumps to 22 mil in year 6, 23 mil in year 7

That would mean we'd owe him guaranteed money for 5 years instead of 3, but the cap hit is lower.. I'd rather it just be for the 3 years and swallow the larger cap hit now. Well actually I'd prefer they just didn't re-sign him to this ridiculous contract in the first place but that's over and done with..